Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 386 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #11551 of 11578 Old 03-27-2015, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
But it can only use RF to communicate with the remote? In other words, I can't use my IR-only 880 with that hub setup?
Correct, the only remotes that work are the simple remote, android/ios phone, or the ultimate one and i think the touch. Also they have a keyboard and maybe another thing. But yea, older remotes will not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11552 of 11578 Old 03-27-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeil213 View Post
So I've had my TV for about 2 months now and all of a sudden I here very loud fan or at least I think thats what it is in the top right corner of the TV. when I press down on it it stops but after awhile it starts right back up again. do you know what can be causing this? it's louder than your usual plasma buzz that i've always had with this tv.
There are no fans in any North America ("PN") F8500.

Some owners have adjusted the torque of the screws that secure the back panel with a positive effect. Just where are you pressing?!!

To the best of my recollection, nobody has reported an increase in buzz volume over time, so perhaps what you need is a service call.
post #11553 of 11578 Old 03-27-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmo85 View Post
Correct, the only remotes that work are the simple remote, android/ios phone, or the ultimate one and i think the touch. Also they have a keyboard and maybe another thing. But yea, older remotes will not work.
Thanks, I suppose one of these days I'll have to move to a more modern remote but the 880 works so well, I think even better than newer Harmony models, that I'm reluctant to change. Other than possibly being forced to because of an IR interference issue of course.
post #11554 of 11578 Old 03-28-2015, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by je9419 View Post
fierce

I originally purchased a 2013 PN51F8500 but had to return it due to dead pixels and pink bands. I now have a Nov 2014 model but I have noticed the black levels are not at good on the 2014 model. You mentioned you tweaked your voltages on your set. Do you have any tips or procedures on how to tweak the voltages. I assume you have to remove the back of the panel to get to the components in order to adjust the voltages

thanks
see here: Samsung Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks.

Thanks for the link pitviper. I will let you know if I can get better blacks.
post #11555 of 11578 Old 03-28-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by je9419 View Post
fierce

I originally purchased a 2013 PN51F8500 but had to return it due to dead pixels and pink bands. I now have a Nov 2014 model but I have noticed the black levels are not at good on the 2014 model. You mentioned you tweaked your voltages on your set. Do you have any tips or procedures on how to tweak the voltages. I assume you have to remove the back of the panel to get to the components in order to adjust the voltages

thanks
the link pitviper posted is where I got my info from.

the only thing is, USUALLY the newer panels are getting better MLL results. it seems like the 2013 models are the ones that are higher and react better to tweaking. but hey, maybe your voltages are slightly 'too high' so adjusting them would work well, only one way to tell I guess.
Thanks for the info fierce. I will let you know if adjusting the voltages will improve the blacks
post #11556 of 11578 Old 03-28-2015, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just did the ver. 1206 update. Now my TV has terrible pixilation during fast motion scenes. It was flawless before the update. Is there anyway to roll back the update?

I tried a reset, but all it did was erase all my settings. The software version didn't change.

Jody
post #11557 of 11578 Old 03-28-2015, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbrad View Post
I just did the ver. 1206 update. Now my TV has terrible pixilation during fast motion scenes. It was flawless before the update. Is there anyway to roll back the update?

I tried a reset, but all it did was erase all my settings. The software version didn't change.

Jody
Never mind, it must have been the content. I tried another recorded program, and it's OK.

It must not like Syfy's compression.
post #11558 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
I have had my pn60f8500 for 3 months now. I have done no calibration and still enjoy it. However, the brightness is a bit lacking during the day for the room I have it in. my LR gets tons of sun light from two sides during day. I am thinking of moving it to a new HT I am almost done building in walkout basement and buying an LCD for LR or keeping it in LR and putting new one in HT.

The dilemma I have is I don't see rave reviews for any LCD (4k or no 4k) like I did for the f8500. Does anyone who has an f8500 also have a 60-65" LCD (4k or not) that they could recommend? The LCD forums have been a little helpful but I want to hear it from someone who has an f8500 first.
What settings are you running in your living room during the day? I have 11 windows in my living area that bring in all kinds of natural light and my display laughs at the light and puts out an amazing picture. I use Standard mode set to 0 sharpness, dynamic contrast off and dark room setting to Auto. Looks awesome.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #11559 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was running movie. Sink switched to standard. Looks better. However, after about a minute of running in standard and looking good it gets real dark again. Almost like it is auto adjusting the brightness and thinking the room is dark.
post #11560 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 AM

Poor jittery motion

I have spoken of this before. I have a 2013 model that was 1 year old when it was delivered to me, with only a few hrs. on it. The Samsung 64" plasma was touted to be one of the finest pictures available, motion included. My 64 almost always has some sort of motion blur or judder except on for example award shows or sports also seem to be pretty clean. I have Stevie Wonder Songs in the key of life, recorded live and its stunning. However, most other shows are not. Sometimes, a show or, it might even be a commercial will do a fast pan and it's all full of Judder. I've never seen this in a display before, especially one that's supposed to be of this Quality. I have reset the display a while which might have helped, I really don't remember. Film mode has been off, auto 1 and auto 2. MJ has been set to smooth then off. I currently am watching DVDS as my old processor can't process Blu Ray sound and they usually have motion problems. What gives, with what is supposed to be one of the best displays on the planet? Could I have a bad Video board, or?

Thanks
post #11561 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoepup View Post
I was running movie. Sink switched to standard. Looks better. However, after about a minute of running in standard and looking good it gets real dark again. Almost like it is auto adjusting the brightness and thinking the room is dark.
Make sure the Eco sensor is turned off. I had this same problem after an update.
post #11562 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit58 View Post
I have spoken of this before. I have a 2013 model that was 1 year old when it was delivered to me, with only a few hrs. on it. The Samsung 64" plasma was touted to be one of the finest pictures available, motion included. My 64 almost always has some sort of motion blur or judder except on for example award shows or sports also seem to be pretty clean. I have Stevie Wonder Songs in the key of life, recorded live and its stunning. However, most other shows are not. Sometimes, a show or, it might even be a commercial will do a fast pan and it's all full of Judder. I've never seen this in a display before, especially one that's supposed to be of this Quality. I have reset the display a while which might have helped, I really don't remember. Film mode has been off, auto 1 and auto 2. MJ has been set to smooth then off. I currently am watching DVDS as my old processor can't process Blu Ray sound and they usually have motion problems. What gives, with what is supposed to be one of the best displays on the planet? Could I have a bad Video board, or?

Thanks
the f8500 is simply showing you what the SOURCE is capable of. it'd be like popping in a vhs and complaining that it's not sharp enough.

when you feed high quality sources(and unfortunately, 24fps bluray is NOT in this case) you get good results. I've also noticed poor motion on the f8500, although it's still good compared to the competition. on the S&M test disc they have some 60fps test material, and it looks nearly perfect on the f8500. 30fps and 24fps looks jittery because the frame rate is too low, it's got nothing to do with the display. it looks bad on everything, unless you activate the frame interpolation stuff, which opens a totally different can of worms.

sometimes, the motion on lcd's appears 'smoother' because of the blur. it's possible that you are more sensitive to the 'judder' than the 'blur'. either way, the fix is a higher frame rate SOURCE.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #11563 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 120
As I spend more time with the display I am also going back and forth on what motion setting to use.

For the longest time when watching 1080p/24 content via blu-ray I ran with Cinema Smooth set to On. But I started seeing some issues. Flicker mostly. The picture just seemed unstable.

So next I turned Cinema Smooth and the other motion setting to off. This certainly stabilized the picture quite a bit but had it's own issues. More judder for one. I experimented with the TV accepting a 24p signal or having my blu-ray player do the 60hz pulldown but both seemed similar. But it's worth trying both depending on what blu-ray player you own (Mine is the Sony in my signature). Cinema Smooth off also changed my grayscale calibration quite a bit compared to it being on.

Now I'm rolling with Cinema Smooth off and Motion smoothing set to Standard. And the clarity is incredible! You see much more detail in the image. But the picture IS a bit too smooth at times. My other display devices are from Sony and I've decided that I just like how they handle motion better than the other brands. My Sony LCD has less visible SOE with the lowest smoothing setting....as does my Sony projector. But both get the benefit of the increased motion resolution with less downside than the Samsung IMO.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #11564 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Judder is an inherent problem with plasma. No way around unless you have a higher frame rate of 60 fps as mentioned in a previous post above. That's why sports looks smoother because it's live and at 60 fps. Blu rays have much better video quality, but will show more judder as it is filmed at 24 fps. CS on, which uses 3:3 pulldown, basically triples the frames. If the tv didn't process the 24 fps, the movie would be unwatchable. 3:3 pulldown helps eliminate the judder, but will not get rid of it completely. For some, judder is more acceptable than blur. In the end, it comes down to what's more pleasing to you. If you prefer CS on, off, MJC on or off, is up to you. There is no right or wrong choice.
venus933 likes this.

Last edited by wxman; 03-29-2015 at 11:28 AM.
post #11565 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Now I'm rolling with Cinema Smooth off and Motion smoothing set to Standard. And the clarity is incredible! You see much more detail in the image. But the picture IS a bit too smooth at times. My other display devices are from Sony and I've decided that I just like how they handle motion better than the other brands. My Sony LCD has less visible SOE with the lowest smoothing setting....as does my Sony projector. But both get the benefit of the increased motion resolution with less downside than the Samsung IMO.

I'm not sure why Samsung cripples it's FI processing for the plasmas. I've got a Samsung lcd and it's actually quite good, in many cases 'better' than the plasma because I can set the FI to a level low enough that it doesn't drive me bonkers, but high enough that it still helps.

with the lcd's you get dejudder and blur reduction on a 1-10 scale for each. with the plasma you get off, too high, and unwatchable...

it really is a shame, cause the tv is awesome with higher frame rates, but it could use some 'help' with the 30fps stuff, just not as much as the lowest setting of MJC.

post #11566 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know how to get your 8500 to play the apps through the external speakers? I have my 8500 configured to send the sound to my receiver but when I watch an app I need to switch the sound over to the embedded 8500 TV speakers which are not as good sounding. Any solutions??
post #11567 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You need to send audio BACK from TV to receiver via ARC HDMI or optical audio. Are you doing either?
post #11568 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddomino1 View Post
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know how to get your 8500 to play the apps through the external speakers? I have my 8500 configured to send the sound to my receiver but when I watch an app I need to switch the sound over to the embedded 8500 TV speakers which are not as good sounding. Any solutions??
You either need to use an optical cable (TV to External Speakers) or utilize your ARC port if possible (as mentioned above). If you're interested in the later you can read this What is ARC. Good luck.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #11569 of 11578 Old 03-29-2015, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy041486 View Post
Make sure the Eco sensor is turned off. I had this same problem after an update.
OK ECO sensor is off.
If i put it in movie or standard during the day it gets real dim within a minute. If i go back into change it then it reverts back to the right brightness. If I keep it in Dynamic mode during day, it stays bright.

Dynamic Contrast - Off
Black Tone - Off
Flesh Tone - 0
RGB ONly - Off
Color Space Auto
White Balance -
10p White Balance - Off
Gamma - 0
Expert Pattern - Off
Motion Lighting - Off

Color Tone - Warm2
Gigital Clean View - Auto
MPEG Noise Filter - Auto
HDMI Black Level Normal (greyed out)
File Mode - Off (greyed out)
Motion Judder Canceler - Off
Black Optimizer - Bright Room (tried others)

Thanks for your help

MY Build in Progress >>> My Home Theater Build
Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500, KEF 3005 5.1, Marantz SR6003
HT: Selection in progress
In storage: Mirage M7si, Mirage LF-150, Marantz SR7200
post #11570 of 11578 Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

Repair my PN51F8500 or replace it?

My Samsung PN51F8500 developed a thin green line running from the top to the bottom of the screen, a couple inches in from the left bezel. Samsung offered to repair it by replacing the panel on it, OR give me a brand new UN55JS8500 as soon as they're available in a week or so. My inclination is to take the newer, larger SUHD TV but I'm torn about giving up my plasma for an LED.

Would your advice be to get the plasma repaired or take the new LED?
post #11571 of 11578 Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcg View Post
My Samsung PN51F8500 developed a thin green line running from the top to the bottom of the screen, a couple inches in from the left bezel. Samsung offered to repair it by replacing the panel on it, OR give me a brand new UN55JS8500 as soon as they're available in a week or so. My inclination is to take the newer, larger SUHD TV but I'm torn about giving up my plasma for an LED.

That's a tough call to make. Just know the F8500 was ranked as the 3rd best picture quality of ANY television manufactured. It does have its set of funny glitches though, and the only thing that beats plasma will be the OLED tv's... and they are now officially here at an affordable price.

If it was me, I would opt to have the unit repaired... and if it still doesn't work to take their offer on the LCD new replacement. I'm pretty sure that offer would still be on the table since it's under manufacture warranty.

But around the corner we are likely going to see OLED UHD4k TV's with better name brands like Samsung & Sony that will have much better video processing than the affordable LG model. The technology is still a bit new and hasn't proven its reliability yet, but you can achieve 100.0% perfect blacks (even against neighboring bright pixels of light) and a super thin modern looking screen. Better energy consumption and NO BUZZING! Until that time comes, IMO you are going with an inferior product with the LCD television option... but perhaps you may want to go with that as a secondary TV that you can mount on a wall (later on) in a 2nd room while you wait a year or two for the future OLEDs.
post #11572 of 11578 Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just received my 64F8500 and got it up on the wall. Coming from my 58b860, I am super impressed with how bright this is! I can't wait to check it out in the dark in a few hours. Huge upgrade over the b860... It will definitely hold me over until oled is more affordable in larger sizes.
post #11573 of 11578 Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

Thanks for all of the replies regarding picture quality.
Last night, I watched Shameless followed by Let the Right One In on Directv. I have seen Shameless many times and last night the motion was very good, much better than last week as was the motion in the following movie. ????? Seemingly probably like it should be, not perfect, but pretty good. I believe I had film mode off and both digital clean and mpeg noise filter set to low. Last week I was watching Top five DVD, not Blu Ray and it looked pretty poor but seemed to improve about 1/2 way thru the film? Just wanted to ad some more of my observations. Still seems to be something not quite right.
post #11574 of 11578 Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcg View Post

get it repaired.

now i don't know what YOU should do, but i would get it repaired since i find LED tv's unwatchable 90% of the time. so if i went with the replacement, i'd have to sell it and buy something else anyway
Keenan and HLdan like this.

post #11575 of 11578 Unread Today, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Those are the default values for ADC/WB, check also ADC Result - should be close to 130,130,130,69,69,69
Hi Zoyd, I'm wondering if you can do me a favour when you get a chance. I want to validate the MGA settings on my set. They are under the ADC/WB menu. All of mine are 512.
post #11576 of 11578 Unread Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 551
post #11577 of 11578 Unread Today, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Mine too
Thanks.
post #11578 of 11578 Unread Today, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Mine too
Seems to me that I have a bug impacting overall all brightness? I seem to have an issue with setting reference black unless it is very very dark in my room. I have to move brightness all the way up to 70 even at maximum cell light. I don't recall this when I first got the set. My memory was that I could get reference black at about 48 brightness in movie mode simply by adjusting the cell brightness.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page