Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 396 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #11851 of 11855 Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Yes you should definitely do it. You're going to end up paying either that much or more for a new TV and it will be an LCD, YUK....unless you want to pay the current OLED prices which is just not worth it.
OLEDs are not worth it right now. Perhaps only the LG. But it's 55". No thanks. Better wait for OLED, 4K, HDR, good price, 60"

Samsung PN60F8500
Sony PS4/PS3 - Microsoft Xbox 360 - Asustek MiniUPnP DLNA
Sony STR-DN1040
Aperion Verus Grand Tower + Center + Energy Satellites (Surround/Presence)
Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11852 of 11855 Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherbreak View Post
OLEDs are not worth it right now. Perhaps only the LG. But it's 55". No thanks. Better wait for OLED, 4K, HDR, good price, 60"
What seems funny to me is we started waiting for OLED, then oh wait, there is 4K OLED...almost there, wait now its 4K OLED with HDR. At this rate, I'll die from old age before they settle on this.
I WANT MORE likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #11853 of 11855 Old 04-23-2015, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HOW MANY HOURS IS THE F8500 IN NEW CONDITION ??? (Assuming properly taken care off with no IR)

What would new condition be defined as? (assuming no scratches or signs of external wear)

How many hours of use until the average user or an expert could tell that the picture had degraded noticeably?

I have heard that plasma TV have a 60,000 hour half life where the picture would be 50% as bright as it originally was.

What other aspects of the picture would have degraded by then?

Would that mean that at 6,000 hours the brightness levels would be down 5%?
The F8500 is the brightest plasma ever made according to reviews I have read.

I have a Samsung C7000 that I bought in 2010. The picture looks excellent.
I can't tell that it is any worse than when I bought it. It looks better than most TVs I see in stores.

Has anyone owned a plasma long enough to notice that the picture has degraded?

I believe that the F8500 is the best all around TV currently available.
I think that all of us here want to keep this TV in optimum condition for as long as possible.

Last edited by jgcec; 04-23-2015 at 11:36 PM.
post #11854 of 11855 Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I've got a problem with my new Open Box 64F8500 that I wanted to run by the owners.

Basically, the TV is beautiful, silent (no sizzle) and looks amazing.

However…

If, after watching TV for a while I shut it off, then turn it back on a few minutes later, the TV does not come on. The red light blinks every five or six seconds forever.

If I then shut the TV off, and try to turn it back on, sometimes it repeats the behavior above, but eventually it will come back on.

The strange thing is when it does come back on, the date/time reads as having been reset to Dec. 31, 1969 6:00 PM (or 0.)

Obviously something is causing the clock chip to lose its setting and who knows what else.

Has anyone else seen this?

I guess I will be calling Samsung or Best Buy tomorrow.

Since this was delivered today, does anyone have any experiences that denote which entity (Samsung or Best Buy) I should call?

Note this was very clearly a demo unit, so who knows if something overheated during its reported 8000 hours of use before I got it.

Manufacturing date is March 2013, and I do not have the Black Optimizer artifacts.
post #11855 of 11855 Old Today, 01:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I've got a problem with my new Open Box 64F8500 that I wanted to run by the owners.

Basically, the TV is beautiful, silent (no sizzle) and looks amazing.

However…

If, after watching TV for a while I shut it off, then turn it back on a few minutes later, the TV does not come on. The red light blinks every five or six seconds forever.

If I then shut the TV off, and try to turn it back on, sometimes it repeats the behavior above, but eventually it will come back on.

The strange thing is when it does come back on, the date/time reads as having been reset to Dec. 31, 1969 6:00 PM (or 0.)

Obviously something is causing the clock chip to lose its setting and who knows what else.

Has anyone else seen this?

I guess I will be calling Samsung or Best Buy tomorrow.

Since this was delivered today, does anyone have any experiences that denote which entity (Samsung or Best Buy) I should call?

Note this was very clearly a demo unit, so who knows if something overheated during its reported 8000 hours of use before I got it.

Manufacturing date is March 2013, and I do not have the Black Optimizer artifacts.
A long shot but try unplugging the display when its in the "off" condition and leave it unplugged for a couple of minutes. Plug it back in and then turn it on. See if it exhibits the earlier behavior.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page