Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 401 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12001 of 12117 Old 05-17-2015, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
None of that obviates flashlighting on edge-lit displays or halos on FALD displays. Those are inherent limitations of LCD and nothing's going to change them anytime soon.

Add the question as to whether there will be any useful HDR content, and it becomes a feature in search of a use at least for the near future.

For example, I chose the F8500 rather than a 4K set of some type both for PQ and because 4K content is going to be slow in coming, even if 4K Blu-ray takes off.

There's no reason to be concerned about OLED lifetime, but I agree on motion due to LG's use of sample-and-hold; hopefully if Panasonic or someone else who knows what they're doing jumps in they can make killer TVs using LG's panels.
You mention the halos with FALD sets, that should be significantly reduced with the 384 dimming zones of the R series. Like I mentioned before, nothing has matched the FALD performance of the Sharp Elite but the R series may match or even surpass it. I do wonder how HDR works in conjunction with a FALD design. i.e., a scene with lighting at night - the zones depicting the night sky would be dimmed but the zones that would have lighting would have to go full bore when it occurs. I would think that would mean some serious blooming.

Yes, we seem to be in a put the cart before the donkey situation with these upcoming 4K televisions. I would personally prefer a 1080p display in the near future regardless of display technology but you can't even get a high end 1080p LCD television anymore. I haven't personally seen these televisions play HDR content but those who have have been highly impressed. Ironically resolution seems to be the least significant PQ enhancement of these 4K sets. The one glaring fault I don't see improving is the limited viewing angles of VA panels.

As for OLEDs, Samsung's approach appears to do R&D internally. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have completely abandoned OLEDs - I thought they stated they're around 3 to 4 years before they're able to have feasible production. But I do think this years LG OLEDs look great both in terms of PQ and the actual design of the television. I just can't afford $9000 for a beta like television.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12002 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinj View Post
more pic of my 64 after AR filter was removed.
thanks for the effort.

i still don't think i would do this to mine(i'd need to have a reason, and i don't right now), but i do find it interesting to see what is actually affected and what isn't.

would you say it's safe to say the general effect was getting a brighter, cleaner image at the cost of a more reflective screen. it looks like the black levels and louvered filter are in tact to me.

anyway, if i ever thought my f8500 wasn't already too bright, and had the cleanest image i'd ever seen, i'd probably consider it. there doesn't seem to be any major cons(just more reflective)

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #12003 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
I prefer a plasma myself but it should be pointed out that there are significant PQ enhancements with LCD televisions coming out this year mainly utilizing real HDR and a larger color gamut. Even Dwayne Davis is impressed with HDR PQ. The upcoming Vizio R series may be capable of astonishing PQ, that is if you're viewing it dead center. It's the only TV I know of that will utilize Dolby HDR. And lets not forget the Sharp Elite won the 2011 HDTV shootout - the R series may be the LCD that finally surpasses it in terms of FALD performance.

I'm hoping OLEDs can fix most of their issues such as the manufacturing process (the success rate of panel production), longevity of panel life, image retention and color fidelity. And like it or not not motion is like that of a LCD where you'll have motion interpolation to reduce motion blur. With both LCD and OLED a lot of stuff (like agreed upon standards) needs to be worked in the coming of years.
this will be something worth looking at, but i definitely need to see it for myself before i get at all excited. in the past, i've NEVER wanted a tv to be brighter, but i've ALWAYS wanted it to get blacker. so i find it hard to imagine a scenario where getting brighter is a good thing, even if it's getting WAY brighter in the bright spots while only getting a little brighter in the dark ones.

oled, as soon as it's 'iron out'(i mean flat) actually seems to address a lot more of my 'needs' than any technology before it. even plasma wasn't 'great' with black levels except for a few high end and late models. right now the only issue oled has that's on my radar is the IR. it's not something that would be a deal breaker to me, but it is something i find annoying to deal with at times. basically any time somebody else is using the tv, i'm worried they will do something stupid.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #12004 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Does anyone recall the half life of the F8500 panel?

Tool kit: Calman 5, Chromapure, Klein K10A, CR250RH,VideoForge HDMI II, eecolor colorbox.
Displays: Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50
Audio: Marantz AV8801, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP
post #12005 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
so i hade 4 64f8500 send back three because on DSE. my last one still has it so I'm like well its not so bad i will just keep this one. so i have had it it for 8 or 9 months. but i always wished that the AR filter would be better because thats what make the DSE so bad. so i did something tonight that was crazy. I REMOVED THE AR FILTER AND THE SCREEN LOOKS FREAKING AMAZING. I have been looking online how to do it but everything i read said not too. Im in a black out room so reflections are not a problem. so i just did it. It is so easy and the screen is clearer and brighter. some sites said it would mess with my color but i can tell you it makes everything clean and bright and the colors still look great. I don't know why i waited so long. all it took was a really sharp knife and thats it. just take the knife and edge all the way around the glass as close to bezel as you can after you edge the hole thing use the knife too lift the filter in the corner and start pulling slow. make sure the tv has been on for 3-4 hours if not more so the AR filter is warm. after you pull all of it off clean the tv with cleaner. its just bare glass so you can't really hurt it. its late this took me one hour. i will post pics. i play ps4 and it always sucked having DSE but not no more.
Thanks a lot for sharing your findings. I'm really sorry to see some of the negativity that was flung your way in response. Some people around here seem to think that modifying your own TV is right up there with modifying the Mona Lisa. It isn't. It's your TV, and good on you for trying to make it better for your use. And even better for putting your experiences out there for anyone else that might want to do the same.

Can you see any of the filter remaining around the edges? It's quite easy to take the bezel off of the TV. If you did so, you could probably trim it back farther so that the cut was completely behind the bezel. Or if you're lucky, you might find that you can just peel the rest of that layer off completely.
post #12006 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Does anyone recall the half life of the F8500 panel?
From what I recall, half life is 100,000 hours.
post #12007 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
...D-Nice in this thread Two Calibrators on UHD stated that like the Panasonic VT/ZT, it is high maintenance in regards to calibration and that you really need to recalibrate every 1000 hours or so...

Poor Panasonic owners. At 4hrs a day they'd be out of spec in 250 days. Nice for the calibrators!

Last edited by dingleberryinc; 05-18-2015 at 12:03 PM.
post #12008 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing your findings. I'm really sorry to see some of the negativity that was flung your way in response. Some people around here seem to think that modifying your own TV is right up there with modifying the Mona Lisa. It isn't. It's your TV, and good on you for trying to make it better for your use. And even better for putting your experiences out there for anyone else that might want to do the same.

Can you see any of the filter remaining around the edges? It's quite easy to take the bezel off of the TV. If you did so, you could probably trim it back farther so that the cut was completely behind the bezel. Or if you're lucky, you might find that you can just peel the rest of that layer off completely.
I agree on removing the bezel. Super easy to take off. Which is kind of scary in a way.

I won't be peeling my coating off but it is kind of sad to find out that it's basically glued on like a screen protector. I have yet to have a panel where it was installed without flaw (and I'm on my 4th panel). I guess I expected it to be something a bit more high tech.

My current panel has what looks like a 'water mark' in the bottom right corner but it's not visible during normal content. At this point I'm pretty happy with my F8500 other than two flaws....it pops and buzzes slightly when turned on (two of my four panels did this) and I wish it handled motion on 24fps content better. Cinema Smooth leaves in too much judder, and Standard Judder Reducer is way too smooth...I wish it had something similar to Sony or Panasonic's lowest setting. I got to play with a Samsung LED set recently and Fierce GT was right...it would be really nice to have those same options on the F8500.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #12009 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:

The point you are missing is that without filter it is a F5300. The exact same screen as the 8500 minus the filter. Don't buy a used 8500 if you're going to take the filter off. Save some cash and get the 5300.

Last edited by dingleberryinc; 05-18-2015 at 02:52 PM.
post #12010 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingleberryinc View Post
The point you are missing is that without filter it is a F5300. The exact same screen as the 8500 minus the filter. Don't buy a used 8500 if you're going to take the filter off. Save some cash and get the 5300.
This would be news to me. I do not believe these are the same panel. I'd love to be wrong on that, but it seems like it would be pretty well known if it were the case.
mwl001 likes this.
post #12011 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This would be news to me. I do not believe these are the same panel. I'd love to be wrong on that, but it seems like it would be pretty well known if it were the case.
Only caveat is the 60 inch F5300 is a pentile screen. The 51 and 64 inch models are not.
Rojo_P likes this.
post #12012 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
They're not, plus it may be in the driving electronics, but the F5300 doesn't do 3D.
post #12013 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 04:49 PM

I may have mis-information then I apologize. I was told by a Samsung tech that they were the same panels from the same production lines without filters. No need to retool to make them. There may be different driving electronics sure but that would make sense if the filters are taken into consideration.

Economically it makes a lot of sense not having to do much R and D and just bang them off no expensive filter application and sell for a nice price

Last edited by dingleberryinc; 05-18-2015 at 04:53 PM.
post #12014 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think it would be news for a lot of us! Also, video processing is an entirely different animal.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
post #12015 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I may have mis-information then I apologize. I was told by a Samsung tech that they were the same panels from the same production lines without filters. No need to retool to make them. There may be different driving electronics sure but that would make sense if the filters are taken into consideration.

Economically it makes a lot of sense not having to do much R and D and just bang them off no expensive filter application and sell for a nice price
It wouldn't surprise me that they did use the same panel. What would make them different, besides the filter, would be the internals that do all the processing and thus produce better blacks, color accuracy, motion, etc. Members have already been able to make adjustments on cheaper Samsung tv's by opening the back and making voltage adjustments for deeper blacks. One could change the old Pioneer 5020/6020 into Elite like panels by replacing one board with an Elite board, which opened the CMS to tune the cheaper 20 series tv to look as good as the Elites.
post #12016 of 12117 Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me that they did use the same panel. What would make them different, besides the filter, would be the internals that do all the processing and thus produce better blacks, color accuracy, motion, etc. Members have already been able to make adjustments on cheaper Samsung tv's by opening the back and making voltage adjustments for deeper blacks. One could change the old Pioneer 5020/6020 into Elite like panels by replacing one board with an Elite board, which opened the CMS to tune the cheaper 20 series tv to look as good as the Elites.
The F8500 doesn't have the pink push the F5300 is known for, I see that as a result of the source panel. But maybe not.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
post #12017 of 12117 Old 05-19-2015, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Spyder4Pro S4P100

I am going to be able to barrow a Spyder4Pro S4P100 from work to use on my F8500. I have no experience using a colorimeter but I am looking forward to the challenge. It will probably be a slow process as I read best practices and make revisions along the way.
post #12018 of 12117 Old 05-19-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 204
You might find these helpful....

Guide: GREYSCALE CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES

Dummies Guide to Samsung CMS Calibration?

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #12019 of 12117 Old 05-19-2015, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Setup your kit without ARC.
I'll take a look, I'm not using (at least intentionally) ARC, but I am using HDMI 1 and 2. That could be it.

51" Samsung 3D Smart PDP F8500 | Sony BDPS5200 3D | Yamaha RX-V659 | B&W 601 S3
post #12020 of 12117 Old 05-20-2015, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 81
So... new panel day. My good luck with pixels continues, but this one is more of a buzzer than the second. It's difficult to say for sure, as this buzz is much more dependent on the display content than the last one. Might be a touch brighter, but then, they dim a little in the first few hundred hours, right?
post #12021 of 12117 Old 05-21-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was getting a message in the Smart Hub that 6 apps needed updating.
It would update but the updates would not stick (the update message would return after I powered off).
So I figured my firmware needed to be updated first (I was 2 revs back).
Firmware update went fine but now Hulu+ will not load.
Gives an error message and H+ works fine on the upstairs TV/ROKU ?
I tried all the other apps (Netflix, YouTube, Pandora and so on) and they all work.
My first thought was to delete H+ and re-install but it is hard coded so you cannot delete.
Anyone else had issues with this ??
I'm hoping I don't have to reset the smart hub since it's a pain to setup & log into all the apps.

Todd
post #12022 of 12117 Old 05-22-2015, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 295
todd

If you haven't already tried this, unplug the TV from power and after a few minutes reconnect it.

There have been many instances where this fixes problems with getting apps to work again.

Tool kit: Calman 5, Chromapure, Klein K10A, CR250RH,VideoForge HDMI II, eecolor colorbox.
Displays: Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50
Audio: Marantz AV8801, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP
post #12023 of 12117 Old 05-22-2015, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
todd

If you haven't already tried this, unplug the TV from power and after a few minutes reconnect it.

There have been many instances where this fixes problems with getting apps to work again.
Yes, tried that as suggested by Hulu customer support.
Had to reset smart hub to get it to work....
mwl001 likes this.
post #12024 of 12117 Old 05-23-2015, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
so there is one more filter under the AR filter and after removing that filter the louver effect is 100% gone. i will post pics as soon as i can.
Can you post a picture of the removed louver filter?
Is it clear or tinted?
Did it just peel off like the other filter?
post #12025 of 12117 Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 AM

Next Week we show you how to de-gas each cell, remove the electrodes and scrape out the phosphor!
Stereodude, Macroblocker and HLdan like this.
post #12026 of 12117 Old 05-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Two screen filters separately applied to the F8500
Lots of room for error during application.
That explains the random DSE that appears on several displays.
post #12027 of 12117 Old 05-23-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

All that money and time spent in R&D to produce the best image possible, and it can all be ruined by a $2 piece of plastic filter not properly applied.
post #12028 of 12117 Old 05-23-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All that money and time spent in R&D to produce the best image possible, and it can all be ruined by a $2 piece of plastic filter not properly applied.
Yup, but how much of an issue is it? What's for sure is this best possible image is lost without the filter in a lit room.

I imagine all F8500 televisions have DSE to some extent (except for dustinj) but it's probably very minor for most of us to the point of looking almost no existent compared to a LCD television. Then again I don't know as that's my guess by the lack of complaints I read about DSE on this model. Then there those who have come to the conclusion that's it's widespread because they have it and read about others having it.

I can notice it on mine on rare occasions and when running the scroller.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
post #12029 of 12117 Old 05-23-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Yup, but how much of an issue is it? What's for sure is this best possible image is lost without the filter in a lit room.

I imagine all F8500 televisions have DSE to some extent (except for dustinj) but it's probably very minor for most of us to the point of looking almost no existent compared to a LCD television. Then again I don't know as that's my guess by the lack of complaints I read about DSE on this model. Then there those who have come to the conclusion that's it's widespread because they have it and read about others having it.

I can notice it on mine on rare occasions and when running the scroller.
I see very minor dse on hockey outside of that its a non issue on my set.
post #12030 of 12117 Old 05-23-2015, 02:06 PM

Zero DSE here. I think a lot of that issue also has to do with how bright the set is used too.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page