Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 404 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #12091 of 12117 Old 05-29-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
Barely three months after I got the 64F8500 it all of a sudden developed a 4" vertical black bar from top to bottom, slightly to the right of the center of the screen. Samsung has now, after a delay of two weeks, replaced the panel under warranty. The problem is that I think that the TV now does not have the same level of depth in picture or even the same black level. Also, the picture seems to be slightly soft, even maybe slightly out of focus. The picture also seems to be very slightly hazy. My question is, am I just imagining this? Or is it possible that there is something wrong with the replacement panel? Any suggestions or opinions in the matter will be highly appreciated.

PS: When the replacement panel arrived, it came packed in a box that did not look like it was factory packed. Also the panel itself had a manufacturing sticker that was clearly stuck on top of an older sticker that had not even been completely removed. The date of manufacturing of the replacement panel is actually older than the original panel in the TV. Also, one of the cables on the panel, had a very dirty smudge & black gooey stuff on it. Bottom line, everything about the panel suggested to me that it was a refurbished panel and not brand new.
Something is strange about that panel. On your 4th picture, it looks like they put a new label over the top of one that was not completely removed. Makes one wonder if it is even the correct panel, a lower quality plasma panel, and then slapped on a new label disguising it as an F8500 panel.

Last edited by wxman; 05-29-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12092 of 12117 Old 05-29-2015, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

I had always understood TVs to go through somewhat of a factory calibration to set key parameters which are stored in firmware. Each TV has its own unique set of primary values when leaving the factory. When a panel is replaced this information is wiped and a default set is called. End result is an imperfect marriage of panel and driving electronics.
post #12093 of 12117 Old 05-29-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingleberryinc View Post
I had always understood TVs to go through somewhat of a factory calibration to set key parameters which are stored in firmware. Each TV has its own unique set of primary values when leaving the factory. When a panel is replaced this information is wiped and a default set is called. End result is an imperfect marriage of panel and driving electronics.
Which raises the question "did the installer adjust voltages?"

Pop in a calibration disk and double check your brightness setting.

Tool kit: Calman 5, Chromapure, Klein K10A, CR250RH,VideoForge HDMI II, eecolor colorbox.
Displays: Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50
Audio: Marantz AV8801, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP
post #12094 of 12117 Old 05-30-2015, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 272
No need to wonder if the panel was a refurb; Samsung can do so under the terms of the warranty.

Correcting your PQ should be paramount with recalibration being the first course of action.

Last edited by kucharsk; 05-30-2015 at 01:21 AM.
post #12095 of 12117 Old 05-30-2015, 08:39 AM

Aside from physical potentiometer adjustments made at the factory I was specifically referring to software adjustments. These cannot be adjusted by third party warranty tech firms when they replace a panel.

Last edited by dingleberryinc; 05-30-2015 at 01:19 PM.
post #12096 of 12117 Old 05-30-2015, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
How can we all have the same TV and not equally experience the same issues? I've never had this happen. I watch YouTube daily.
We all may not watch Youtube, I am just stating that at least one other owner of this TV has mentioned a problem I have as well. I will also add that I use an AV receiver for all my audio. I have the TV audio out going through an toslink to my Yamaha receiver. I do not experience this issue with any other source, that I have ever noticed.
post #12097 of 12117 Old 05-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
I'm having issues as well.
I have been unable to update the E-manual.
post #12098 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I am an owner of an european PS51F8500 and I have the same problem of Python357, brightness pops and delayed blacks. I made some researches and I think that the problem may be caused by the firmware of the logic board (Tcon) which is not updated properly by last official firmwares. On this forum I see that the Samsung D-series plasma had a similar issue.
I have found also a picture with the service menu of another owner and his Logic Fw is reported as 1004 version, on the contrary my TV has the 1002 version. I have the pictures, but I cannot post them because first I need 5 post on the forum.
Is it possible to force the update of the logic board?
post #12099 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbles View Post
Hello, I am an owner of an european PS51F8500 and I have the same problem of Python357, brightness pops and delayed blacks. I made some researches and I think that the problem may be caused by the firmware of the logic board (Tcon) which is not updated properly by last official firmwares. On this forum I see that the Samsung D-series plasma had a similar issue.
I have found also a picture with the service menu of another owner and his Logic Fw is reported as 1004 version, on the contrary my TV has the 1002 version. I have the pictures, but I cannot post them because first I need 5 post on the forum.
Here are the images
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serviceMenu.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	747673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0068.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	747681  
post #12100 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Aside from physical potentiometer adjustments made at the factory I was specifically referring to software adjustments. These cannot be adjusted by third party warranty tech firms when they replace a panel.
Earlier posters had 8500 panels replaced under warranty by Samsung US and I don't recall any mention of software adjustments performed by their field techs.
post #12101 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
You cannot force a firmware update.

Be aware that firmware versions are different based on the country for which the set is intended. Thus, 1002 may be the most recent applicable version.

If the available firmware is newer than the installed version, the set should offer to install when you select that option from the menu, though you may have to try a few times because the set's networking is reluctant.

Here in USA, Samsung made firmware updates available via their website (they stopped doing that but I can't remember when - perhaps March?). I suggest you surf to Samsung's support pages and look for a file to download. If you find a usable file, you can install it from a USB drive. I believe that the correct FW for your set is at http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...EUC_1125.1.exe
and is version 1125.1

ADDENDUM: I don't believe that there is a specific update for the logic board, but if there is it is almost certain that you will have to get it by contacting Samsung support.

Last edited by WantsNWarrants; Yesterday at 12:57 PM. Reason: addendun
post #12102 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Earlier posters had 8500 panels replaced under warranty by Samsung US and I don't recall any mention of software adjustments performed by their field techs.
It's a lottery so to speak.

I believe Samsung tender out warranty repair work to third party companies who also repair other makes of TV's.

Mobile techs will say they are from Samsung but they are only speaking on behalf of Samsung.
post #12103 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's a lottery so to speak.

I believe Samsung tender out warranty repair work to third party companies who also repair other makes of TV's.

Mobile techs will say they are from Samsung but they are only speaking on behalf of Samsung.

I believe most NA consumers understand the Samsung warranty service person who visits their residence is not likely a Samsung employee.

The odds of a Samsung employee performing "software adjustments" after replacing a panel on a warranty service call are about the same as winning a lottery.
post #12104 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

They cannot as they do not have the rig to do so.

You mentioned 'their' field techs which is why I added my comments.
post #12105 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Can they not force updates remotely? I thought if you call them and your tv is connected to internet, they can access the tv.
post #12106 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They cannot as they do not have the rig to do so.

You mentioned 'their' field techs which is why I added my comments.

If Samsung contracts out their warranty service to third parties who do not possess the "rig" then the "software adjustments" of a field replacement panel don't happen.

Several posters claim their 8500 panels were replaced in the field and none I recall mentioned the "rig" or "software adjustments".

From my recollection, most owners who posted are satisfied with the picture quality of replacement panels.
post #12107 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Can they not force updates remotely? I thought if you call them and your tv is connected to internet, they can access the tv.
I'm convinced the Samsung tech I stupidly permitted to remotely access my 8500 for diagnostics irrelevant to the trouble ticket enabled the voice function while he was poking around and I didn't discover it for months.

Last edited by bmcn; Today at 02:09 AM.
post #12108 of 12117 Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Oh great, look it's another annoying "notification" that we'll see every time the TV starts for a month
I WANT MORE, HLdan and GTIFace like this.

Samsung PN64F8500, Marantz SR5008, Jamo S40 centre/S403 fronts/S40 sub, OrbAudio: Mod1X rears
Popcorn Hour A-200, AppleTV 2nd gen, Plex and 2x Debian NAS/Media Servers - 28TB & growing
post #12109 of 12117 Old Today, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsNWarrants View Post
You cannot force a firmware update.

Be aware that firmware versions are different based on the country for which the set is intended. Thus, 1002 may be the most recent applicable version.

If the available firmware is newer than the installed version, the set should offer to install when you select that option from the menu, though you may have to try a few times because the set's networking is reluctant.

Here in USA, Samsung made firmware updates available via their website (they stopped doing that but I can't remember when - perhaps March?). I suggest you surf to Samsung's support pages and look for a file to download. If you find a usable file, you can install it from a USB drive. I believe that the correct FW for your set is at CUT
and is version 1125.1

ADDENDUM: I don't believe that there is a specific update for the logic board, but if there is it is almost certain that you will have to get it by contacting Samsung support.
Thank you for your reply. My Tv is an european model, and I have latest official firmware installed, so I have thought that the latest version released by Samsung does not include the logic board update. I have contacted my local Samsung support but they does not know what I am talking about, so I am stuck now.
I hope that there will be a solution like the one of the D-series plasma, where the tcon firmware could be flashed directly via system menu.
post #12110 of 12117 Old Today, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
Oh great, look it's another annoying "notification" that we'll see every time the TV starts for a month
YUP!! Son of a b.......................

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #12111 of 12117 Old Today, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post
OMG I'm so P.O'd about this. Just when everything was finally okay after that last annoying notification that lasted more than 2 months, up pops another one. There must be something written in the EULA that allows Samsung to purposely annoy and intrude on their customer's TVs with notification banners. Glad I'm getting the upcoming AppleTV to watch Netflix so I can disconnect my F8500 from the internet.
post #12112 of 12117 Old Today, 08:33 AM

^+1. Disconnect! Forget about Smart. It's not so smart.
post #12113 of 12117 Old Today, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
^+1. Disconnect! Forget about Smart. It's not so smart.
Doesn't help much when Plex, the only app I actually use on the damn TV, requires connection to external servers for config verification.

Samsung PN64F8500, Marantz SR5008, Jamo S40 centre/S403 fronts/S40 sub, OrbAudio: Mod1X rears
Popcorn Hour A-200, AppleTV 2nd gen, Plex and 2x Debian NAS/Media Servers - 28TB & growing
post #12114 of 12117 Old Today, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I have contacted my local Samsung support but they does not know what I am talking about, so I am stuck now.
Escalate the support request. Keep asking for a supervisor until you get connected to someone who does know what you're talking about. Do not let them blow you off.
post #12115 of 12117 Unread Today, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Has anyone here found any good reason to install the SEK-2000 Evolution kit on their F8500?

I don't see a truly compelling added feature as I use the TV's built-in apps infrequently at best (I have Amazon Prime via a TiVo Roamio and also own an Apple TV.)
post #12116 of 12117 Unread Today, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Has anyone here found any good reason to install the SEK-2000 Evolution kit on their F8500?

I don't see a truly compelling added feature as I use the TV's built-in apps infrequently at best (I have Amazon Prime via a TiVo Roamio and also own an Apple TV.)
When I bought my display the Evo kit was a throw in to meet a price match with Amazon when the price first dropped to $2499. I sold the kit which put my cost for the display $2325. So far, I haven't seen any better use for it.
post #12117 of 12117 Unread Today, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

My understanding is it replaces the processor that mostly runs SmartHub. So the short answer is no IMO, especially in the short term as I find SmartHub in the F8500 to have up to date apps and to be fairly responsive. Down the road it would be much more cost effective to get a streaming device if SmartHub would ever become unruly. Roku is very good at keeping their apps up to date even with their older versions.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page