Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 409 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12241 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 101
My beloved Samsung LED DLP finally bit the dust after 7 years. That puts me in the market for a new TV. I have heard great things about this TV, and I am thinking of picking one up. The only thing I am questioning is "burn in". I have a 2 year old and cartoon channels are on often. These cartoon channels have the channel logos always displayed on the screen. (Disney junior etc....) should I be concerned with this? Should I look into a LCD instead? I really want a plasma for the picture quailty and black levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12242 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
My beloved Samsung LED DLP finally bit the dust after 7 years. That puts me in the market for a new TV. I have heard great things about this TV, and I am thinking of picking one up. The only thing I am questioning is "burn in". I have a 2 year old and cartoon channels are on often. These cartoon channels have the channel logos always displayed on the screen. (Disney junior etc....) should I be concerned with this? Should I look into a LCD instead? I really want a plasma for the picture quailty and black levels.
IR/BI are not your concerns...finding a quality new or open-box 8500 is your biggest problem.

Good Luck !
post #12243 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
IR/BI are not your concerns...finding a quality new or open-box 8500 is your biggest problem.

Good Luck !
Would be very concerned about burn in. It happened to mine from a local news station logo. Samsung will not replace it and local news won't get rid of there stupid logo. Great tv but burn in is a concern.
post #12244 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary218 View Post
Would be very concerned about burn in. It happened to mine from a local news station logo. Samsung will not replace it and local news won't get rid of there stupid logo. Great tv but burn in is a concern.
I had IR that lasted 2+ months from a news station as well.
post #12245 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

Good Luck !
IR/BR? What does that mean?

I know they are hard to come by new, so I was looking at used ones. Not sure if I want to go that route, but if I want one of the last great plasmas I might need to go that way.
Tom Riddle likes this.
post #12246 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

it stands for "image retention" and "burn in"...image retention sometimes fades, however burn in doesn't.
post #12247 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Well that's a bummer.....all I read about LCD's is that there are all kinds of compromises. And I can't stand the soap opera effect.
post #12248 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
I had IR that lasted 2+ months from a news station as well.
FWIW, my 64" F8500 seems pretty resilient to IR. There seems to be some unit to unit variation.
post #12249 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Generally how long does it take to burn in? The Disney channel is on in my house pretty much every day for a few hours. If it's on for a few hours in one day, then I watch something without a logo for a few hours after, does that lessen the chance?

Last edited by SeekingNirvana; Yesterday at 01:45 PM.
post #12250 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
I bought one a week ago from Best Buy. I searched far and wide for one and I was mostly seeing $2400-2700 for brand new or $1400-1700 for used. I did see on the Sears Outlet website that they have a refurbished one for $1100. I looked on the Samsung website http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51F8500AFXZA by clicking on 'Find Online or Locally' and I saw that Best Buy had some in stock. I went to the BB by my apartment and asked them to search all BB across the country and they found some brand new for $1372 (after tax). So I immediately jumped on it, haha. I ended up being able to get free shipping/delivery on it to my apartment just by asking. I got it in last weekend, box was handled with care and the TV was perfect. Probably one of my happiest electronics purchases I have made. It looks great. However, they only had the 51" left in stock. I almost want to buy a second one, haha... These are getting harder and harder to find though, especially at 'bargain' prices, so I'd jump on it if I were you.
post #12251 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

Doesn't take long. I got burn in within 4 months. The local news is only on for about hour to two hours a day..and I got it...even though I tried to break my tv in with break in slides and Disney WOW discs... and I had my contrast turned down, and pixel shift turned on. It's such a great TV... But have to be careful!
post #12252 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary218 View Post
Doesn't take long. I got burn in within 4 months. The local news is only on for about hour to two hours a day..and I got it...even though I tried to break my tv in with break in slides and Disney WOW discs... and I had my contrast turned down, and pixel shift turned on. It's such a great TV... But have to be careful!
I would seriously doubt you have true burn in, just persistent image retention that will go away if you stay way from that channel for a while. I've owned a few plasmas, and image retention isn't all that big of a deal, yeah it happens, but usually not so bad to see it fromyour viewing distance. If you can't see it unless you get really close, it's not a problem.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #12253 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
FWIW, my 64" F8500 seems pretty resilient to IR. There seems to be some unit to unit variation.
Ditto on my 64" also, I've run some very long lut sessions and any IR goes away very quickly. Much more IR resistent than Panasonics i have owned.
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #12254 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeder View Post
I actually had a spare 92mm that I found after posting this. It appears old PC fans will do the trick with some wiring. It's rated for 52cfm and is 19dba. should do the trick. Does anyone think the other side (Yboard) needs additional help too?

Thanks!
Yes the Yboard needs help also.

Check this link for full details includes all photographs
https://www.avforums.com/threads/sam...765934/page-76

Please check my previous reply posted on this board previoulsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scothernman View Post
If you can mount a grill faceplate on the fan you have you can buy the mesh grill mentioned below. Use a cable tie to form a loop. If you bend the last one cm of the tip 180 degree it will come out easily from the back cover air vent hole to tie the fan down on.
If the fan is flush on the air vents it will draw hot air from the TV effectively compared to a fan sitting 1 -2 cms away from the vents if the fan unit has a raised central part.

buy this mesh grill and drill 4 corner holes to mount the fan on the back cover with a tag
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371032591746
costs 99c

Cable ties
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-100-...-/281245533013

If you want a USB fan connected to the TV USB directly
http://********/1yDwx0Z
costs $25

Cheapest option with a similar USB fan
http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-120.../dp/B001NJ27QM
costs $10
post #12255 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickkent View Post
So I got my F8500 in on Saturday and have it all set up. I looked up somebody's settings to mimic. It looks really good! Happy with my purchase for sure. The speakers are a lot better than I thought they'd be. I guess because I have been reading a lot from enthusiasts and experts, where their standard is a lot higher, but for me, they work perfectly fine. I just have the volume up pretty high. I like that there isn't that soap-opera effect.
I can tell you they sound better than my E7000 speakers. I have the F8500 in my bedroom in as such I'm not utilizing an external audio system and it doesn't have that painful tin like sound that my E7000 speakers have. Of course if your F8500 is your main television I would still recommend external speakers.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
post #12256 of 12259 Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Now my Red Light is flashing--sigh. I'm ready for a refund...since that isn't possible, it maybe on the CL after the Y board gets replaced.

This is honestly super frustrating.

51" Samsung 3D Smart PDP F8500 | Sony BDPS5200 3D | Yamaha RX-V659 | B&W 601 S3
post #12257 of 12259 Old Today, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickkent View Post
I bought one a week ago from Best Buy. I searched far and wide for one and I was mostly seeing $2400-2700 for brand new or $1400-1700 for used. I did see on the Sears Outlet website that they have a refurbished one for $1100. I looked on the Samsung website http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51F8500AFXZA by clicking on 'Find Online or Locally' and I saw that Best Buy had some in stock. I went to the BB by my apartment and asked them to search all BB across the country and they found some brand new for $1372 (after tax). So I immediately jumped on it, haha. I ended up being able to get free shipping/delivery on it to my apartment just by asking. I got it in last weekend, box was handled with care and the TV was perfect. Probably one of my happiest electronics purchases I have made. It looks great. However, they only had the 51" left in stock. I almost want to buy a second one, haha... These are getting harder and harder to find though, especially at 'bargain' prices, so I'd jump on it if I were you.
Looks like you're one of the very few 51" owners here (like me)
Don't want to ruin your enthisiasm, but can you check for me if you see some kind of strange behavior with black level when passing from a very bright scene to a very dark one, having a raised black level for the first 2-3 seconds after transition? you can check with an all white and an all black picture in a usb key, switching from the white to the black one, or also during the tv channel swap

samsung technician come to my home and recognized the problem, but never heard anything anymore from him...

P.s.: the problem is only visible in a dark room
post #12258 of 12259 Old Today, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python357 View Post
Don't want to ruin your enthisiasm, but can you check for me if you see some kind of strange behavior with black level when passing from a very bright scene to a very dark one, having a raised black level for the first 2-3 seconds after transition? you can check with an all white and an all black picture in a usb key, switching from the white to the black one, or also during the tv channel swap

samsung technician come to my home and recognized the problem, but never heard anything anymore from him...

I think I know what you're talking about. I have the F8000 LED and when I turn on my F8500 the black level on the launch screen is actually higher than the native black on my LED at max backlight! After the smart TV logos disappear the black level improves to what you'd expect it to be on a plasma. I'm not sure if the black level raises back up to practically LED levels when there is a lot of bright content on screen but the blacks can be iffy sometimes.
post #12259 of 12259 Old Today, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python357 View Post

You might want to have Samsung check your tv again. The 2014 models have a different Y board which caused the BO to not work properly in some cases. You may need to have them swap out the Y board.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread