Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 410 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #12271 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
My TV looks dim/hazy after the latest update 1208. Turned off eco as usual...
Looks like it is working correctly now.

Reset TV for the 3rd time, but this time uplugged hdmi chromecast and unplugged power overnight.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12272 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Originally Posted by mome_rath Menu --> System --> Eco Solution --> Eco Sensor. Turn Eco Sensor ON, Min Cell Light 20, Eco Sensor OFF. If I remember correctly, you have to do this for each input (ie. - HDMI 1-4).
For one sweet minute I hoped you had the solution... Would have been my hero! Unfortunately, now there is daylight here, but I can already say this procedure has made any change [emoji24]

This will further prevent the "second step of darkening" as it removes min cell light from the equation. I had an issue with my PN51F8500 changing from the HDMI-1 input to the "TV" input; and performed multiple system resets. (The issue was resolved by resetting/changing the Network Device Name; thanks shaftja). After resetting the TV, I noticed that when I would change to the PS3 or PS4 inputs, the picture would darken after a few seconds. Setting Min Cell Light to 20 stopped the drop in black level from happening, when applied to HDMI 2 and 4. (Also had to apply to the HDMI-1 input.)

In order to "darken" your blacks, you need to adjust the settings. I enjoy my blacks to be (what I would consider) very dark; I have my television set up in my bedroom and usually watch at night with a dim table lamp on. My setup for the black levels are as follows:

PICTURE
Cell Light: 16
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 52

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Black Tone: Off (adjustable; Dark, Darker, Darkest)
Gamma: -1

PICTURE OPTIONS
HDMI Black Level: Low
Black Optimizer: Dark Room

SYSTEM
ECO SOLUTION
Energy Saving: Low (can be adjusted to Medium or High for a darker picture)
Eco Sensor: Off
Min Cell Light:20

I don't know that it makes a difference in the black levels, but I also have a piece of fully exposed and developed 35mm camera film (from loading the camera, prior to the first shot) taped over the red light on the front of the television. This blocks ambient light from passing through (I cannot see the red light at all at night, while I am sleeping); but allows infrared light to pass through (so that the remote control will work).

Play with your settings to get your black levels to your own comfort zone. Good luck!

outgrabe
post #12273 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I find strange, in your settings, the brightness (52 is very high, for me calibrating I get dithering on blacks over 48) and the energy saving on low, everyone always advice to turn off...
post #12274 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python357 View Post
I find strange, in your settings, the brightness (52 is very high, for me calibrating I get dithering on blacks over 48) and the energy saving on low, everyone always advice to turn off...
I'd guess that using an energy setting other than off is why he's using 52 brightness.

Makes me wonder what energy saving actually does if you then have to readjust brightness upward???
post #12275 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Energy savings is an always on Cell light limiter, it has no effect on black level and should not affect the brightness setting.

If you have your normal cell set to 20 then:

Low = cell 14
Medium = cell 8
High = cell 0 (and the cell light control will be disabled)

Last edited by zoyd; 07-05-2015 at 07:15 AM.
post #12276 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Energy savings is an always on Cell light limiter, it has no effect on black level and should not affect the brightness setting.

If you have your normal cell set to 20 then:

Low = cell 14
Medium = cell 8
High = cell 0 (and the cell light control will be disabled)
Going from cell light 14 -> 13 and again from 8 -> 7 does have an affected on my brightness setting (PN51F8500 2014).
post #12277 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 AM

I always use cell from 15 to 20 in cinema mode, because it's dimmer than standard...
post #12278 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python357 View Post
I always use cell from 15 to 20 in cinema mode, because it's dimmer than standard...
cinema is just standard mode with a different cell scale range, cell 10 in standard is approximately cell 20 in cinema.
post #12279 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by mome_rath View Post
Originally Posted by mome_rath Menu --> System --> Eco Solution --> Eco Sensor. Turn Eco Sensor ON, Min Cell Light 20, Eco Sensor OFF. If I remember correctly, you have to do this for each input (ie. - HDMI 1-4).
For one sweet minute I hoped you had the solution... Would have been my hero! Unfortunately, now there is daylight here, but I can already say this procedure has made any change [emoji24]

This will further prevent the "second step of darkening" as it removes min cell light from the equation. I had an issue with my PN51F8500 changing from the HDMI-1 input to the "TV" input; and performed multiple system resets. (The issue was resolved by resetting/changing the Network Device Name; thanks shaftja). After resetting the TV, I noticed that when I would change to the PS3 or PS4 inputs, the picture would darken after a few seconds. Setting Min Cell Light to 20 stopped the drop in black level from happening, when applied to HDMI 2 and 4. (Also had to apply to the HDMI-1 input.)

In order to "darken" your blacks, you need to adjust the settings. I enjoy my blacks to be (what I would consider) very dark; I have my television set up in my bedroom and usually watch at night with a dim table lamp on. My setup for the black levels are as follows:

PICTURE
Cell Light: 16
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 52

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Black Tone: Off (adjustable; Dark, Darker, Darkest)
Gamma: -1

PICTURE OPTIONS
HDMI Black Level: Low
Black Optimizer: Dark Room

SYSTEM
ECO SOLUTION
Energy Saving: Low (can be adjusted to Medium or High for a darker picture)
Eco Sensor: Off
Min Cell Light:20

I don't know that it makes a difference in the black levels, but I also have a piece of fully exposed and developed 35mm camera film (from loading the camera, prior to the first shot) taped over the red light on the front of the television. This blocks ambient light from passing through (I cannot see the red light at all at night, while I am sleeping); but allows infrared light to pass through (so that the remote control will work).

Play with your settings to get your black levels to your own comfort zone. Good luck!
The reason why your blacks darken is that you have your HDMI black level set to low for your PS3. It's using a RGB color space, and thus you need to set HDMI black level to low. I have to do that with my Roku. When I first switch to the Roku, blacks start as grey and then go to black, as HDMI black level on tv goes from normal to low. When using a blu ray player, cable box, or satellite box that normally uses a 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 color space, which is default for the tv, HDMI black level will be set to Normal and will be greyed out. Thus the tv starts out with the proper blacks and does not need to switch HDMI black level. Every time you reset tv, the HDMI black level for your PS3. and all devices, will be set to an HDMI black level of normal, and thus you need to go into settings for that device and set it to low so that it does that automatically when you switch to that device.
post #12280 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
cinema is just standard mode with a different cell scale range, cell 10 in standard is approximately cell 20 in cinema.
So why they don't give the chance to use 10 point Cal in standard?
post #12281 of 12284 Old 07-05-2015, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I arrived at my settings using the scientific method - stealing other users' settings, then tweaking to my preference. I believe I am using one user's color space, another user's white balance, etc. I found that the whites were almost blinding, even when using 45-50 or so as the brightness setting; bringing the brightness settings down further made everything too dark. I found a happy medium by turning Energy Saving to Low, and bumping up the Brightness to 52. The picture looked perfect during hockey season. With my energy settings (Energy Saving: Low, Min Cell Light 20; set for every input [except ARC]) I do not experience the step-down in dark levels when changing inputs.

I have not had any problems with image retention or burn-in at these settings; I spent 4 or 5 hours with the TV on, watching a tornado move across Illinois into Indiana (no commercials). The channel 5 logo persisted for about 15 to 20 minutes after changing to a different channel, then was completely gone.

Perhaps someday I will have a professional calibration done; but for the time being I am very happy with the color, black levels, motion, and picture in general. It is much more life-like than any LED or LCD pictures I have ever seen, with very few motion problems.

Now if Samsung could just get the "Play" button to work on the damned remote...

outgrabe
post #12282 of 12284 Unread Today, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Firmware 1209 available for download in US. Anyone know the changes in this version?
post #12283 of 12284 Unread Today, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Firmware 1209 available for download in US. Anyone know the changes in this version?
Its just SmartHub/app updates from this point forward.
post #12284 of 12284 Unread Today, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
Its just SmartHub/app updates from this point forward.
Same as ever. Thanks.

Just tried smarthub and for the first time noticed the 'on tv' menu has a live window of the hdmi input. Very slick but not useful to me.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page