Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 415 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1209Likes

Old 07-15-2015, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Watched the whole game and didn't see any anomalies. Great picture as always. Verizon Cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
More data on my issue:
  • If I turn the TV off then immediately back on, it turns on on the first try.
  • If I turn the TV off and leave it off for more than ten minutes or so, it turns back on on the first try.
  • If I turn the TV off and wait between 30 seconds and ten minutes or so, when I turn it on the LED flashes about once every five seconds for about a minute, then goes dark. I have to turn it off then back on, sometimes it will then start on the second try, sometimes it takes a third.
  • If I had a "no start," when the TV does power up the date/time has been reset to UNIX 0 (December 31, 1969 6:00 PM for me in the Mountain Time Zone); if the TV turns on normally it retains the date/time.

It's so regular it almost seems like a feature, but no one would design this in.

Update:
Best Buy is having a new power supply and main board drop-shipped to my home for the service call, so I hope it's not the "Y" board.
My TV is now having this exact same issue, and I'm now 2 months out of warranty :-(. Did you have any problems with 'No Signal' on HDMI connections at the same time?

I have my satellite box connected to my 64F8500 via a Denon 3313 and I only get a signal if I turn on the TV after all the other devices. If the TV is turned on before the AVR or satellite box I get no signal until the TV is restarted. I don't recall seeing this issue before.

Tried omitting the AVR and going direct, changing cables and HDMI ports and the issue remains.

Last edited by geves; 07-15-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger View Post
Watched the whole game and didn't see any anomalies. Great picture as always. Verizon Cable.
Probably source related then on Dish Network. I believe its a gamma issue fortunately I don't see that often. thanks for replying

65C6 OLED
55EG9100
Time Warner Cable/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
My JS9500 Calibration review(CHADB)http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36534866
Old 07-15-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2996 Post(s)
Liked: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Probably source related then on Dish Network. I believe its a gamma issue fortunately I don't see that often. thanks for replying
I have DirecTV, and most of the game was good, however, a few times the camera shots were not that great. Some did look flat. I also have the MLB package. One thing I have noticed is that the 1080i feeds look better than the 720p feeds. Unfortunately, the majority of the 720p games are Fox Sports affiliates. I don't believe every camera they use is an HD camera, and sometimes it's quite obvious.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
I have DirecTV, and most of the game was good, however, a few times the camera shots were not that great. Some did look flat. I also have the MLB package. One thing I have noticed is that the 1080i feeds look better than the 720p feeds. Unfortunately, the majority of the 720p games are Fox Sports affiliates. I don't believe every camera they use is an HD camera, and sometimes it's quite obvious.
Yeah that lines up with my experience, I have no choice but to upscale to 1080i using my Dish receiver then my Lumagen upscales to 1080p. Overall tho great picture as always.

65C6 OLED
55EG9100
Time Warner Cable/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
My JS9500 Calibration review(CHADB)http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36534866
Old 07-15-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Yeah that lines up with my experience, I have no choice but to upscale to 1080i using my Dish receiver then my Lumagen upscales to 1080p. Overall tho great picture as always.
I'm hoping as the networks start upgrading to 4K equipment, they will abandon the 1080i and 720p format and just use 4k and 1080p as their format. my bet is that won;t happen as the local affiliates will have to spend a lot of money upgrading. So we will end up seeing 4K being down res to 1080i and 720p for years to come. Either that, or local station will abandon OTA altogether and just make 4K available via cable and satellite.

Last edited by wxman; 07-15-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm hoping as the networks start upgrading to 4K equipment, they will abandon the 1080i and 720p format and just use 4k and 1080p as their format.
We can dream right?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 1996
Quote:
Couldn't agree more on the different levels of camera quality last night.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if anyone with experience removing an Evo kit from their tv can help me with removing mine. Wanted to compare if it effected my picture quality because i think it did. Picture is not quite as nice, and when i use the smart hub apps (100% of my watching) it takes a long time for it to buffer and clear up the image and never really clears up to the level that it used to (before Evo kit install). Before the Evo kit install there was never any buffering required. I live in california and i have Comcast blast internet with a dl speed of a minimum of 85 Mbits/sec.

Also, since I put the Evo kit in the Tithe motion judder settings/feature makes the Jutter worse if turned on. I know I'm a wierdo but I love the Soap Opera effect and hate the way the 24P looks. In fact I rarely go to the movies anymore because of the way the movies motion looks.

I also no longer have any WiFi on the TV but I not butt hurt about it because I have everything hardwired using apple routers.

Love everything else about the Evo kit though. It is an SEK-2000 Z/A on a PN60F8500
Old 07-15-2015, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So what improvements the evo kit did?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python357 View Post
keeping in mind that I don't have cable or dish or direct or att uverse, (the only cable services in my area) I also don't have an OTA antenna, the improvements are related to the smart hub and OS. Things are just more easily accessible, and the new mouse pointer is cool. Kinda a tech junkie that way.

No picture improvements for me. However, I did loose wifi access all together, I hardwire all of my stuff to my network anyways.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So my less than 6 month old 51" F8500 has already had a main board and power supply failure. Since I only have the 1 year warranty, I'm seriously considering putting it on Craigslist and seeing where everything lands.

My questions are:
1) Am I over-reacting? Or is there a decent chance of failure out of warranty.
2) What are the chances of getting near what I paid for it? ($1000).

Thanks!

<Shopping> | Sony BDPS5200 3D | Yamaha RX-V659 | B&W 601 S3

Past: Samsung 51 F8500 PDP
Old 07-15-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
The current Evo Kit for 2015 would be the SEK-3000. The SEK-2000 and SEK-1000 were for 2014 and 2013 and should offer no major change for the F8500 which is a 2013 model TV carried over into 2014. Still awaiting and considering the SEK-3000, but not sure if it will upgrade to Tizen system. I believe the SEK-2500 is for the 2014 4K UHD TVs.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The current Evo Kit for 2015 would be the SEK-3000. The SEK-2000 and SEK-1000 were for 2014 and 2013 and should offer no major change for the F8500 which is a 2013 model TV carried over into 2014. Still awaiting and considering the SEK-3000, but not sure if it will upgrade to Tizen system. I believe the SEK-2500 is for the 2014 4K UHD TVs.
I too am waiting for an SEK-3000 but I just don't feel confident that there will be a new one. As I remember by this time last year the SEK-2000 had been out for some time. However, my confidence isn't gone because there are several sites listing it but as not available yet.

I just did the SEK-2000 because I found one for 30 bucks and I figured what the hell, the Remote is worth that.

But overall the interface is just nicer, especially for 30 bucks. LOL
Old 07-16-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeder View Post
So my less than 6 month old 51" F8500 has already had a main board and power supply failure. Since I only have the 1 year warranty, I'm seriously considering putting it on Craigslist and seeing where everything lands.

My questions are:
1) Am I over-reacting? Or is there a decent chance of failure out of warranty.
2) What are the chances of getting near what I paid for it? ($1000).

Thanks!
I am trying to sell my 51" here in Italy, I bought it for 1050 euros on january, and I received offers up to 900€ it has 6 months of life. Did not already sell because I overall like it, I am either trying to fix my floating black problems through service support, or waiting for good offers on 930 oled.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I am trying to sell my 51" here in Italy, I bought it for 1050 euros on january, and I received offers up to 900€ it has 6 months of life. Did not already sell because I overall like it, I am either trying to fix my floating black problems through service support, or waiting for good offers on 930 oled.
My experience with Samsung's service has been good for things under warranty--however any above and beyond requests seem to be met with the generic answer. that isn't a bad used deal for $900.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:00 PM

what you mean with "above and beyond" requests?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
what you mean with "above and beyond" requests?
Since I'm one of the few that didn't bother paying $300 to warranty a $1000 plasma, I have asked Samsung to extend their current warranty on the product for an additional year. The next couple of calls I got were to diagnose that the TV was, in fact, functioning. Their records showed it wasn't turning on (last problem that the Power supply replacement fixed). It seems there is a decent firewall between the representatives and those that can provide solutions.

I cannot explain how frustrated I have been with this TV. One of the reasons I'm considering cutting my losses and selling. But I honestly want to see what Samsung will do for a customer in my situation. I understand the size of the company and everything, but I want to see what they will do for someone who has had this negative of an experience. Their next steps with me will determine if I ever purchase another Samsung product for my entertainment area.

That being said--when the TV is functioning, it has a beautiful picture. If I sell--I will definitely miss it.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeder View Post
Since I'm one of the few that didn't bother paying $300 to warranty a $1000 plasma, I have asked Samsung to extend their current warranty on the product for an additional year. The next couple of calls I got were to diagnose that the TV was, in fact, functioning. Their records showed it wasn't turning on (last problem that the Power supply replacement fixed). It seems there is a decent firewall between the representatives and those that can provide solutions.

I cannot explain how frustrated I have been with this TV. One of the reasons I'm considering cutting my losses and selling. But I honestly want to see what Samsung will do for a customer in my situation. I understand the size of the company and everything, but I want to see what they will do for someone who has had this negative of an experience. Their next steps with me will determine if I ever purchase another Samsung product for my entertainment area.

That being said--when the TV is functioning, it has a beautiful picture. If I sell--I will definitely miss it.
The company fixed their product which failed and now you want them to give you something extra for nothing? I'm confused. I understand that you're frustrated that your TV has been having issues, but it seems like the unit is fixed. I don't see why you're entitled for anything additional.

Perhaps your credit card offers additional warranties for free?

KS9800
K8500
K950
Old 07-19-2015, 06:01 PM

I expect some compensation for putting up with their failure. Yes.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:03 AM

probably I missed some details from your messages, but wat is the failure, exactly? They took too much time to fix? The simple fact of having had 2 big failures?
Old 07-20-2015, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 256
The only compensation required, is that the fix any malfunctions during the warranty period. If you want a longer warranty period, that is offered, at a price.

If that is not suitable, sell it. Unfortunately, Samsung will not miss your patronage.
KONICA TECH likes this.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
probably I missed some details from your messages, but wat is the failure, exactly? They took too much time to fix? The simple fact of having had 2 big failures?
Bingo. It is something I've learned among the way. If you sit down and think to yourself--is this normal? And the answer is no. I feel that some sort of customer service level needs to be adjusted. They did extend my warrenty by 90 days...which isn't much--but I'll take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
The only compensation required, is that the fix any malfunctions during the warranty period. If you want a longer warranty period, that is offered, at a price.

If that is not suitable, sell it. Unfortunately, Samsung will not miss your patronage.
It is the world we live in. I miss the local radio shacks and theater rooms of people that actually knew their stuff.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I have noticed a bug on my tv when using Standard picture mode. You can only really notice it in a totally dark room. What happens is when I am watching tv and I switch channels on my DirecTV box (which is set to native), the time it takes to change channels, there is a blank screen (that is normal). What's weird is when the screen is blank for those few seconds, the panel goes completely black for a split second, like it is off and has no input, but it isn't, then the normal plasma glow returns followed by the picture. It also does that in Dynamic mode, but never in Movie or Day/Night. This is the first time I have tried Standard, as I was trying to set it up for Sports viewing during the day. Then I decided to try one of the calibration slides using 100% black. Sure enough, with Standard and Dynamic, the screen initially has the plasma dark grey/black glow with with the slide, and then after a few seconds goes completely black as if there is no input and stays that way. In movie mode, it does not do that. The dark grey/black plasma glow remains. I remember my Pioneer 5020 doing something similar when I was testing with a totally black background. The screen after about 10 seconds would go completely black and there would be no plasma glow. it's just weird that it does the same thing but only on Standard and Dynamic and only after about a second or two with a black background. Try that in a totally dark room. Would be curious if others have that occur. I'm wondering if Standard and Dynamic have different algorithms, and the time it allows for a totally black image to be interpreted as no signal is much shorter than for movie and day/night.

Last edited by wxman; 07-20-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:12 PM

This happens when you have brightness set too low. Increase in standard and probably it will not happen anymore. At the beginning I thought you were about to talk of the "progressive black" that annoys me so much but that's probably only on 51"
Old 07-20-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This happens when you have brightness set too low. Increase in standard and probably it will not happen anymore. At the beginning I thought you were about to talk of the "progressive black" that annoys me so much but that's probably only on 51"
I will give that a try tonight and see if that fixes it. I set the brightness using Spears and Munsil disc and the default brightness setting of 45 with Standard was correct.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was able to try it as it was dark enough in the room. No matter what brightness I set the tv to, it continued to do this is Standard and Dynamic mode. I never used those modes before, so I don't know if that is normal or not.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Typical of samsung plasmas and brightness will affect whether is shuts off completely or not. You can get it to shut off in movie mode too if brightness is several clicks too low.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
Typical of samsung plasmas and brightness will affect whether is shuts off completely or not. You can get it to shut off in movie mode too if brightness is several clicks too low.
Thanks. Weird that no matter how high I set the brightness on Standard and Dynamic, it still does it. I can get it to do it if I lower it on movie and day/cal.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
I have noticed a bug on my tv when using Standard picture mode.
What do you have your brightness set to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv