Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 418 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
I plugged in my Chromecast this weekend to see if there was a quality difference between the built in apps and streaming through chromecast. The difference was pretty noticeable, especially the hbo app which looked MUCH better compared to the built in app. It is also nice to be able to control the black optimiser setting when using chromecast.
I've got one of those chromecast (mostly to play with) devices and am interested in the difference when you consider that chromecast is wifi and my 8500 is ethernet cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I've got one of those chromecast (mostly to play with) devices and am interested in the difference when you consider that chromecast is wifi and my 8500 is ethernet cable.
I notice a big difference with HBO - even despite using wifi (although my router is right under my tv). I did buy the chromecast ethernet adapter though which is set to arrive this week.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I posted this some time ago but I don't think I got any replies then so I am giving it another shot:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
If I go into the Smart Hub and run the webbrowser (or youtube etc), what picture settings am I using?
The only thing which is not grayed out is the Cell Light setting if I enter the menu.
The only way I have been able to change the other settings is to use Apply Picture Mode->All Sources on another "input" but hopefully that is not the only way, or is it?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
I plugged in my Chromecast this weekend to see if there was a quality difference between the built in apps and streaming through chromecast. The difference was pretty noticeable, especially the hbo app which looked MUCH better compared to the built in app. It is also nice to be able to control the black optimiser setting when using chromecast.
Interesting, I thought the hub's Netflix looked better than Roku3's. Have you compared hbo go to hbo via WMC?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno2284 View Post
So I spend 2 months without my PN64F8500. Sold it to someone for a good amount of money, Been researching TV's for a couple of weeks and Cant decided if I wanted the JS9500 or the new Panasonic CX850. Also waiting on the Vizio R series too..... But anyway, Decided to go to Best Buy to see if they had the new Panasonic CX850 on display, and then hidden on the corner was a Open Box PN60F8500!! So just for fun I decided to check the price.... and wow... it was still high (A bit less then what I sold mine for). So I ask for the manager "Why is this open box item so high ??" he ask me "How much are you willing to give me for it" I told him $$$. 10 minutes later on negotiating, they were Loading the PN60F8500 to my truck, now I know it's a floor model, and it has like 9000 hours on it, but it still comes with the 1 year warranty!!! so i'm happy with that for another year. So I own a F8500 again, a little but smaller, but I end up pocketing $$$$. Sorry had to share!

Awesome deal! Love a great find! What movie are the first few screenshots from?

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
Old 07-28-2015, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Guardians of the Galaxies!
Old 07-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks! I would know that if I took my copy of the blu-ray out of the cellophane. Maybe this weekend!

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Old 07-29-2015, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Thanks! I would know that if I took my copy of the blu-ray out of the cellophane. Maybe this weekend!
Does anyone else get bothered by the lightening of the black bars in 2.39:1 movies? I prefer the 16x9 formatted movies just so I don't have the black bars that slowly get to a really dark gray by the end of the movie.

Is that not something others have issues with?

51" Samsung 3D Smart PDP F8500 | Sony BDPS5200 3D | Yamaha RX-V659 | B&W 601 S3
Old 07-29-2015, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeder View Post
Does anyone else get bothered by the lightening of the black bars in 2.39:1 movies? I prefer the 16x9 formatted movies just so I don't have the black bars that slowly get to a really dark gray by the end of the movie.

My black bars start black and stay black.

If the color of the bars change it may be your TV and/or the bars become more noticeable to you over the course of a film.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

I would not describe things that way. My letterbox bars are always floating depending on the scene displayed in that moment, worst case is a green or blue almoust solid color scene, they rise up to 0,07 cd^mq and it's very annoying. But the real problem is that on my panel in those situations ALL the scene rises it's brightness and returns slowly to normal (~2 seconds) in the subsequent dark scene, so I've every time 2 seconds of decreased contrast. (but i've told all this many many times, and I'm still awaiting for a solution from samsung technician)

anyway my bars do not become black in a progressive way through the whole movie...
Old 07-29-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:

I haven't noticed that. I do use a dim bias light behind the TV though.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I've been disappointed with the resting black level on my set as well. The bias lighting makes a huge difference though and it helps with eye strain since this plasma can get so bright. I've got a set of Ikea Dioder led strip lights stuck to the four corners of my set, I've been using the same set of lights since 2010 on two different plasmas. Everyone loves them and asks where to get them. I also like that I can change the color to match the movie mood. (ex. blue for finding nemo, red for V for Vendetta/star wars, white for gravity etc...). They're only $30, if the bars bother you that much I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

Samsung PN60F8500, Energy 5.2 w/Dennon 2112ci
Old 07-29-2015, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:

i've never noticed that...

when running calibrations, i've noticed an increase from about .009 to .011 cd/m^2. i'm impressed you can detect that, not to mention bothered by it.

i have noticed fluctuating blacks on some occasions though. but the gradual rise in resting blacks is negligible on my set

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 07-29-2015, 10:26 AM

If anyone with a 51" has time to spend and a meter, can please measure the black of the letterbox bars at exactly 1 minute from start of the movie sunshine... When there is the sun in the centre in a brown field... Thanks
Old 07-29-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:

My black bars don't get lighter during movie. However, in dark scenes the black bars are more noticeable. If you watch movies in a totally dark room, like I do, then you will notice that the black bars are not really black. Your eyes adjust quickly to a totally dark room, and will quite easily notice the plasma glow in dark scenes. Thus the reason for bias lightning to trick your eyes. The F8500 does not have the lowest blacks amongst the top 3 plasmas. Kuros, Panasonic ZT/VT and then the F8500. The other 2 will have better blacks and the black bars appear more black. One way I have adjusted is to crank cell light all the way to 20. Yes, it is brighter, but your eyes don't adjust as quickly going from bright scenes to darks scenes and thus blacks don't appear as grey, most of the time. During prolonged dark scenes, it will still be noticeable. The higher cell light does not bother me. Does not give me headaches, etc. What will also affect your perceived blacks is your eye color. Blue eyes are more sensitive to light, thus you will notice black bars are not as black as you see the plasma glow better.

Last edited by wxman; 07-29-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:39 AM

Wxman what size do you have of f8500?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python357 View Post
Wxman what size do you have of f8500?
64 inch model.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:55 AM

I suspected that
Old 07-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I used to be bothered by this - since the set does have a very low black setting, but not infinite black like OLED, the bars become very noticeable during darker scenes. In bright scenes, they are jet black. I added an ideal-lume bias light, and have been content ever since. My blacks are now black all the time, and I love it!
KONICA TECH likes this.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Old 07-29-2015, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post
I have a pn64f8500 bought in the US. I'm trying to cut the cord and to do it as simply and I expensively as possible. I'd like to just use the slick Smart Hub interface for my OTA and streaming content, but I hate to lose the recording and pause/playback ability of a DVR.

But now I hear that these Samsungs actually have a PVR function with external HDD but it's disabled on American models?! Anybody successfully enable this feature on an American panel? That would be awesome!
I have enabled it and tried it out. There was some discussion in this thread or the series thread about it. Look for a conversation between zoyd and myself; I think it was within the last 6 months.

But in case it saves you some time, here's my final judgement on the feature: There's a good reason it's disabled. It's not very nice to use. The interface for selecting your recordings is just awful. And have you tried the guide? It should already work on your set. When you try to page down, the system immediately becomes overloaded and it can't even keep decoding the live signal while it's thinking. Can you make it work as your only DVR? Yes. Would I recommend it? No, not unless you're on a REALLY tight budget. For 100$ or so, a yard sale Windows 7 PC and a cheap tuner card will give you a MUCH better experience.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
If anyone with a 51" has time to spend and a meter, can please measure the black of the letterbox bars at exactly 1 minute from start of the movie sunshine... When there is the sun in the centre in a brown field... Thanks
I have the means to do that (A 51 inch and the bluray). I'll see what I can do tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ended up having time before dinner.

Bluray was paused at exactly 1:00 mins into the movie.

I have the 51 inch and used a iD3. Black optimizer is set to Auto. Contrast is 96, Brightness 47, and Cell light 14. Cinema Smooth was on.

I took three readings of the center of the top letterbox. All were identical 0.045 cd/m3 or 0.0131 ftL. If you are curious the center of the sun in the picture came out to 130.420 cd/m3 or 38.0678 ftL.

Only thing I didn't do was calibrate the meter before starting the test since I didn't want to bother with test patterns. I don't think it would matter though.
cockatiel likes this.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Interesting Observation:

I was watching a HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS episode the other night on the Science Channel and something really interesting happened. Here's the episode:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3831260/

It's the episode that details how light escapes from the core of the Sun....at the 32-minute mark a closeup-up of the Sun fills the screen in some greenish-spectrum.

What was interesting is that on my Samsung 5300 I could see the Pentile array on my 60" from about 10 feet away. I never saw it before except when I was 2-3 feet from the TV. I don't know if it was because of the green Sun spectrum or just being 1 color entirely filling the screen.

Anyway....if anybody with an 8500 can watch that episode and let me know how it looks on the 8500's screen, I'd be curious how it looks. You need to go to the episode above and fast-forward to the 32-minute mark.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Ended up having time before dinner.

Bluray was paused at exactly 1:00 mins into the movie.

I have the 51 inch and used a iD3. Black optimizer is set to Auto. Contrast is 96, Brightness 47, and Cell light 14. Cinema Smooth was on.

I took three readings of the center of the top letterbox. All were identical 0.045 cd/m3 or 0.0131 ftL. If you are curious the center of the sun in the picture came out to 130.420 cd/m3 or 38.0678 ftL.

Only thing I didn't do was calibrate the meter before starting the test since I didn't want to bother with test patterns. I don't think it would matter though.
Thanks a lot, later I'll do measure with same settings, when I did probably I had more cell light, but I measured up to 0.07 cd/m2.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Interesting Observation:

I was watching a HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS episode the other night on the Science Channel and something really interesting happened. Here's the episode:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3831260/

It's the episode that details how light escapes from the core of the Sun....at the 32-minute mark a closeup-up of the Sun fills the screen in some greenish-spectrum.

What was interesting is that on my Samsung 5300 I could see the Pentile array on my 60" from about 10 feet away. I never saw it before except when I was 2-3 feet from the TV. I don't know if it was because of the green Sun spectrum or just being 1 color entirely filling the screen.

Anyway....if anybody with an 8500 can watch that episode and let me know how it looks on the 8500's screen, I'd be curious how it looks. You need to go to the episode above and fast-forward to the 32-minute mark.
We don't hae Pentile screens.
AMartin56 and HLdan like this.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot, later I'll do measure with same settings, when I did probably I had more cell light, but I measured up to 0.07 cd/m2.
I ran a test comparing my F8500 letterboxes to my side lit Sony LED a few months ago. The Sony letterboxes were actually darker and never seemed to drift at all. Of course that TV has other issues and doesn't look as good as the plasma.

I ran the new Total Recall Blu-ray and allowed it to play normally during the scene in the lobby where they confront Howser and try to convince him it's a dream. The APL of this scene seemed about average. My F8500 can get down to 0.004 ftL with full screen black. During that test the letterboxes were coming in at 0.010 ftL.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).

Last edited by AMartin56; 07-30-2015 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Corrected measurements.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i've never noticed that...

when running calibrations, i've noticed an increase from about .009 to .011 cd/m^2. i'm impressed you can detect that, not to mention bothered by it.

i have noticed fluctuating blacks on some occasions though. but the gradual rise in resting blacks is negligible on my set
Honestly my room setup is normally pretty light, but at night I normally am rocking a child to sleep so the room is dark, movies like the The Dark Night, or anything else that has a particular dark scene mid-way through highlights the letterboxing bars in such a way that drives me nuts. I suppose the 'easiest' fix would be to do more day time watching or turn a light on...but again--sleeping children...

I assume its because the pixels are not as active. The fact that the bars can be retained on the screen after the movie is done and another picture is being projected gives me concern that extensive bluray watching could lead to a more permanent image retention. It does go away after about 4-5 minutes of 16x9 content--but still. I'm surprised not many have commented about this.

51" Samsung 3D Smart PDP F8500 | Sony BDPS5200 3D | Yamaha RX-V659 | B&W 601 S3
Old 07-30-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
We don't hae Pentile screens.
I realize that, that's why I was curious how it looks on the 8500's top-notch screen.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Honestly my room setup is normally pretty light, but at night I normally am rocking a child to sleep so the room is dark, movies like the The Dark Night, or anything else that has a particular dark scene mid-way through highlights the letterboxing bars in such a way that drives me nuts. I suppose the 'easiest' fix would be to do more day time watching or turn a light on...but again--sleeping children...

I assume its because the pixels are not as active. The fact that the bars can be retained on the screen after the movie is done and another picture is being projected gives me concern that extensive bluray watching could lead to a more permanent image retention. It does go away after about 4-5 minutes of 16x9 content--but still. I'm surprised not many have commented about this.
Get a bias light. It really will help with this if setup properly and won't mess with the baby any more than having the TV on will. If I remember correctly you want the brightness of the light to be roughly equal to about full screen IRE 30 but you can certainly get lights with dimmer switches and play around with this a bit.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 1303
Quote:

if this is the only time you're noticing it, then it's what we've been describing as 'floating' or 'fluctuating' blacks. when the APL of the scene increases, so does the black level. when the content is near all black, blacks should look very good. when there's bright content on the screen, it blasts your irises making mediocre blacks still look black. it's the stuff in the middle where there's just enough overall brightness to raise the black levels, but nothing in particular that's really bright to blast your eyes, that's when the letterbox bars will look grey.

but that could happen at the start of the movie, the middle, or the end. it has nothing to do with blacks rising over time, it's entirely dependent on what's being displayed

there is a thread dedicated to this phenomena, it's definitely worth reading, if for no other reason than to understand what is happening. Patterns to measure MLL as a function of APL

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread