Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 421 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12601 of 12624 Old 08-20-2015, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need help please

Can someone please confirm the screw size for the stand? I'm finding m4x12mm and want to confirm that is correct prior to an upcoming move.

What would be even better is a Pic of one of the screws...since I think I have them.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12602 of 12624 Old 08-22-2015, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question how to connect to receiver

Hi folks,

Just got a 60". I have a few questions and help would be very apperciated.

1) Where can I find audio settings recommandations to help improve a bit the crappy sound (until I plug it to my sound system)?

2) Until I figure out what audio option I will choose for the later (soundbar or something else), I want to connect the TV to my yamaha r-s700 receiver. Not sure exactly what it is but the input on the receiver is a RCA like yellow female. What cable do I need for that? Living in Québec, I tend to order at primecables.

3) I got the infamous buzz. Seems like the directional one. I know it can fade out after a few hours but is there any settings or anything that help to reduce it?

thanks a lot
post #12603 of 12624 Old 08-22-2015, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Going from 17 to 16 on the cell light really diminished the buzz on my set but it wasn't that bad to begin with. From 20-17 the buzz was pretty equal and descreasing below 16 doesn't seem to lower it any further.

Lowering the cell light and increasing other settings resulted in a richer picture to my eyes so it was kind of a double bonus.
Guillaume5 likes this.
post #12604 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume5 View Post
Hi folks,

Just got a 60". I have a few questions and help would be very apperciated.

1) Where can I find audio settings recommandations to help improve a bit the crappy sound (until I plug it to my sound system)?

2) Until I figure out what audio option I will choose for the later (soundbar or something else), I want to connect the TV to my yamaha r-s700 receiver. Not sure exactly what it is but the input on the receiver is a RCA like yellow female. What cable do I need for that? Living in Québec, I tend to order at primecables.

3) I got the infamous buzz. Seems like the directional one. I know it can fade out after a few hours but is there any settings or anything that help to reduce it?

thanks a lot
1) I'm not sure any recommendations exist. At least I've never seen any discussion on it. Most everyone gets it plugged into a receiver/powered speakers/something else ASAP.
2) The easiest way to get sound from the TV to a receiver in most cases is using S/PDIF. For that you'll need an optical cable, also called toslink. Most receivers have a toslink input. Just confirm yours does and order a long enough cable. Optical cables don't affect signal quality at normal lengths, so I'd recommend getting a cheap one. Just make sure you get one long enough that it will reach without any kinks in the cable.
3) I've never heard of the buzz fading after a few hours. If yours does, you may have something different going on. Have you touched spots on the back of the TV to see if it might be a mechanical vibration of the back panel?
Guillaume5 likes this.
post #12605 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
1) I'm not sure any recommendations exist. At least I've never seen any discussion on it. Most everyone gets it plugged into a receiver/powered speakers/something else ASAP.
2) The easiest way to get sound from the TV to a receiver in most cases is using S/PDIF. For that you'll need an optical cable, also called toslink. Most receivers have a toslink input. Just confirm yours does and order a long enough cable. Optical cables don't affect signal quality at normal lengths, so I'd recommend getting a cheap one. Just make sure you get one long enough that it will reach without any kinks in the cable.
3) I've never heard of the buzz fading after a few hours. If yours does, you may have something different going on. Have you touched spots on the back of the TV to see if it might be a mechanical vibration of the back panel?

Hello there,

2) well, it appears the TV out is digital and my r-s700 receiver only has analog input. (freaking technology )
So I ordered a basic audio cable to connect the DVD (will eventualy change for a blu-ray) to the receiver. Temporary audio solution and only for videos but it will cost me 10$.

3) yeah from what I've read, the buzz is very different even from the same tv model (directional or not, different intensity, etc.). Some peoples reported that it faded out partly or pretty much completely after a few hundreds of hours or so.

I also hope that the herz antenna cable extansion I ordered will help improve reception. The darn coaxial connector is on the wrong side for me.

Oh well, picture is great
post #12606 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Hello there,

2) well, it appears the TV out is digital and my r-s700 receiver only has analog input. (freaking technology )
So I ordered a basic audio cable to connect the DVD (will eventualy change for a blu-ray) to the receiver. Temporary audio solution and only for videos but it will cost me 10$.
Your receiver must be pretty old if it doesn't have S/PDIF. But that's okay! You just need a DAC between the TV and the receiver. I use this one with my F8500. http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Con...2&keywords=dac
That package even comes with a toslink cable, though I realize you might have to get it from another source in Canada. The device is so tiny you could zip tie it to the back of your TV or receiver if you wanted.
Guillaume5 likes this.
post #12607 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post
Your receiver must be pretty old if it doesn't have S/PDIF. But that's okay! You just need a DAC between the TV and the receiver. I use this one with my F8500.
That package even comes with a toslink cable, though I realize you might have to get it from another source in Canada. The device is so tiny you could zip tie it to the back of your TV or receiver if you wanted.
No, not even. I cannot post a link as I dont' t have 5 posts yet (!) but if you search yamaha r-s700 you will see it at yamaha usa and 3rd photo show all the connections (can zoom at top left).

The dac might be a solution, thanks a lot. It might even help improve my onkyo cd player (this one is old).
Another solution might be to change for a 5.1 (or more) receiver that I can connect 2.1 speakers and make it evolving later. My initial idea was to get a very good soundbar because I dont really like speakers all over the place. But that is another problem...
post #12608 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well looks I'm loosing my 64 f8500. It has developed a problem when turning it on I only have sound and no picture (sometimes it will turn on from a cold start). What really sucks is this is my 3rd plasma from Samsung in about 5years. Had the c7000 (purple line across screen) Samsung replaced with E model and that TV developed the same problem as this f8500. During the repair of the E model they replaced the power supply (no fix) then the y main and y up. That fixed it but some how they messed up the plasma screen and it had lines across the screen. So they replaced that one with F8500. I have been very happy with this TV...... But it would seem there is no parts left to fix these TV with. I have searched the internet looking for the y boards with no luck. Can't even find a salvage TV to take parts from.

Already been pricing led TV's but don't know what comes close to this F8500 in terms of performance and picture.
post #12609 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrassie86 View Post
Well looks I'm loosing my 64 f8500. It has developed a problem when turning it on I only have sound and no picture (sometimes it will turn on from a cold start). What really sucks is this is my 3rd plasma from Samsung in about 5years. Had the c7000 (purple line across screen) Samsung replaced with E model and that TV developed the same problem as this f8500. During the repair of the E model they replaced the power supply (no fix) then the y main and y up. That fixed it but some how they messed up the plasma screen and it had lines across the screen. So they replaced that one with F8500. I have been very happy with this TV...... But it would seem there is no parts left to fix these TV with. I have searched the internet looking for the y boards with no luck. Can't even find a salvage TV to take parts from.

Already been pricing led TV's but don't know what comes close to this F8500 in terms of performance and picture.
Well, don't laugh but you may want to consider the Vizio M series - Vizio M65-C1 LED-LCD UHDTV Official AVS Forum Review

Personally I'm a bit skeptical of imagic's evaluation especially the frequency of distractions from blooming and the lack of natural looking contrast from a self-emmisive display but he was comparing the F8500 and M65 side by side
Tom Riddle likes this.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer

Last edited by venus933; 08-23-2015 at 04:47 PM.
post #12610 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Buy from costco and get their extanded warranty. There might be others but it's the only store that sells extanded warranties at a decent price. Others are places just rip-off.
post #12611 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Buy from costco and get their extanded warranty. There might be others but it's the only store that sells extanded warranties at a decent price. Others are places just rip-off.
You can buy your set elsewhere and still get the Costco extended deal.
post #12612 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Well, don't laugh but you may want to consider the Vizio M series - Vizio M65-C1 LED-LCD UHDTV Official AVS Forum Review

Personally I'm a bit skeptical of imagic's evaluation especially the frequency of distractions from blooming and the lack of natural looking contrast from a self-emmisive display but he was comparing the F8500 and M65 side by side.

I did read that review and it sounded good, but I also was a bit skeptical. went and looked at one yesterday at bestbuy and it looked good. but seemed to lack features I use. I use OTA for local channels, Samsung has a channel guide, vizio seemed to not have one or a web browser that could have been used. I use a htpc and stream movies to the Samsung, not sure the vizio could do this, much less render the different formats as the samsungs do with it media player. or if it is even htpc friendly.

So I kinda shot it down just on those issues alone. the sad part is while the samsungs have all the features I like... not sure I want to give them any more of my money.. time to look at lg or sony I think. if I cant find the parts I need for the 64 f 8500
post #12613 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:

That would be great if there was a Costco within 150 miles of me, I live in Maine and the nearest one is in mass.
post #12614 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That would be great if there was a Costco within 150 miles of me, I live in Maine and the nearest one is in mass.
....or just buy the warranty online as I did.
post #12615 of 12624 Old 08-23-2015, 05:45 PM

Ahh snap. Now I have another problem. My TV doesn't see the DVD anymore. I tried to unplug the HDMi cable, try another cable, unplug from outlet for more than 5 minutes, disable anynet (hdmi cec) and reactivate it, All to no success.

Anyone have an idea?

thanks
post #12616 of 12624 Old 08-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Ahh snap. Now I have another problem. My TV doesn't see the DVD anymore. I tried to unplug the HDMi cable, try another cable, unplug from outlet for more than 5 minutes, disable anynet (hdmi cec) and reactivate it, All to no success.

Anyone have an idea?

thanks
Do you have another TV to try the DVD player on?
Guillaume5 likes this.
post #12617 of 12624 Old 08-24-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
Do you have another TV to try the DVD player on?
Not yet but tomorrow someone will bring me a hdmi player so i can try it out. It's woking with component cable.

It doesn't have something to do with the settings so it can recognise the player? I'm not yet used to the menu and, from what I see, it's plug and play and I don't have anything to do.

I sincerly hope I'm not in this situation:
Samsung PN60F8500 HDMI board issue.

thanks
post #12618 of 12624 Old 08-25-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Not yet but tomorrow someone will bring me a hdmi player so i can try it out. It's woking with component cable.

It doesn't have something to do with the settings so it can recognise the player? I'm not yet used to the menu and, from what I see, it's plug and play and I don't have anything to do.

I sincerly hope I'm not in this situation:
Samsung PN60F8500 HDMI board issue.

thanks
All right, just as an update, it works with another player using HDMI. Me = happy.
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #12619 of 12624 Old 08-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

Personally I'm a bit skeptical of imagic's evaluation especially the frequency of distractions from blooming and the lack of natural looking contrast from a self-emmisive display but he was comparing the F8500 and M65 side by side
I agree with this - I would purchase a Vizio to hold me over if something happened my F8500 until an OLED is released I like. Heck, if they ever release the Reference series, I may replace my F8500. We shall see.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #12620 of 12624 Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I agree with this - I would purchase a Vizio to hold me over if something happened my F8500 until an OLED is released I like. Heck, if they ever release the Reference series, I may replace my F8500. We shall see.
I have a 65" VT50 as my F8500 backup.

I pretty much don't care what happens to OLED......until I'm out of plasma displays.
post #12621 of 12624 Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Update Two:

They replaced the power supply board and the TV now works perfectly.

I am very, very thankful I walked into Best Buy and they had this open box F8500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geves View Post
I'm in the UAE and have this issue, although i only use HDMI input. My issue only occurs if you turn the TV on 5-10 minutes after turning it off. Any other combination and the TV turns on fine. I do however have to turn the TV on after the AVR and source or i get a 'no signal' error.

I don't think it's common, but probably a fault that has developed, possible on the mainboard or power board (or both ). Maybe the heat here isn't helping things..

Unfortunately mine is out of warranty, but may get Samsung to check it out anyways if it persists or gets worse.
So I got Samsung to come out to check my TV.

After powering it up without the back on they checked the voltages and deduced that the power board was fine and delivering the correct voltages. However, there was no voltage on the other boards. Apparently the slow red flashing led on startup indicates that one of the boards is not receiving enough voltage.

Unfortunately the technician said that Samsung do not really have a way of diagnosing which board is at fault so they simply swap the boards in sequence until the issue is resolved, starting with the main board, then the Y-Main, then the X-Main. The board swapping itself can also cause issues if cables get damaged or mis-inserted correctly.

Anyways, long story short, the problem was resolved by changing the Y-Main board at cost of AED 1500 (~$420) including labour. hmmm. They also did factory reset which along with the Y-Main replacement appears to have resolved my HDMI 'no signal' issue as well. No more issues now!

I now have my old Y-Main if anyone wants it. It works, but has that power up delay issue. Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers

Last edited by geves; Yesterday at 12:06 PM.
post #12622 of 12624 Old Today, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, anyone tried the 2015 Evolution Kit on the 8500 yet? Samsung don't mention it in the compatibility list, but I am hoping it still works. I think the model name is SEK-3500.
post #12623 of 12624 Old Today, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Hey guys, anyone tried the 2015 Evolution Kit on the 8500 yet? Samsung don't mention it in the compatibility list, but I am hoping it still works. I think the model name is SEK-3500.
The 2015 Evolution Kit for the FHD sets haven't been released yet. As such there's nothing to try. You must be thinking of the SEK-3500U for the UHD sets.

Last edited by Stereodude; Today at 04:47 PM.
post #12624 of 12624 Old Today, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
So I got around to buying my first stand-alone Blu-Ray player this week. I got one that supports 3D and my first 3D Blu-Ray (Dredd for $5) and decided to see what the whole 3D thing on the F8500 was all about. Aside from the batteries that came with the glasses basically being dead and Cinema Smooth somehow being turned on and causing a pile of flicker until I turned it off, 3D at home is pretty cool. I've see one or two movies in the theater in 3D, so I'm far from an expert, but it put a smile on my face. I could be persuaded to buy a few more 3D Blu-Rays if they were well done (ie: shot in 3D and not converted in post) and not horrifically expensive.

Last edited by Stereodude; Today at 04:53 PM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page