Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 422 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #12631 of 12638 Old Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
According to who? Please show me the law on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I also would like to see this; that sounds like an auto industry urban legend being cited.
Mr. Kaufman is correct.

Cali civil code 1793.03

(b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product
venus933 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12632 of 12638 Old Today, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Well I guess that's great for people who live in California. I did check and TV's are in subdivision (h). And what's the recourse for violations / how do you bring a claim against them?
post #12633 of 12638 Old Today, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Well I guess that's great for people who live in California. I did check and TV's are in subdivision (h). And what's the recourse for violations / how do you bring a claim against them?
The net result is until November 2021 Samsung will make available replacement parts to consumers in the US.

Suggest contacting the CA Attorney General or Department of Consumer Affairs office if you're interested in their claim process.
post #12634 of 12638 Old Today, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks to the poster who found the legal citation to which I was referring. It is reprehensible that a top-of-the-line television that ceased production only nine months ago appears not to be repairable already if you need certain commonly needed major parts like the Y-main board or the panel. There is no doubt that such shortages are real--I and another poster in this thread have confronted them personally. And if you go to all the major TV-parts supply retailers on the Internet, they are all out of stock on all the major parts for the PN64F8500. I asked a senior rep at Square Trade to check his resources--at Samsung and various wholesalers they deal with--to see whether he could find those parts, and he said that they were out of stock everywhere and that he thinks the set is probably not repairable--Square Trade would, he said, be obliged to offer compensation in place of repair on that model. There is simply no excuse for this--a local authorized Samsung repair shop told me that they have no problems obtaining major parts for Samsung plasmas that are three to five years old, but this 2013-2014 model is already out of major parts (pending a discovery of some heretofore-undisclosed stash somewhere). I've never seen this kind of irresponsible middle finger extended to consumers by any other manufacturer of a top-of-the-line electronics item.

I can also attest to the fact that Samsung customer service is dreadful. During the endless two weeks that I was waiting for this Y-board to appear, I perforce had frequent contacts with Samsung customer service--both their "Executive Customer Relations" reps and a rep from the corporate office in New Jersey--purportedly from "the president's office" but really just another layer of conventional reps. All they offer is boilerplate, robotic responses from people with zero knowledge of the product--it sounds like they just hire people straight out of college job fairs whose main qualification is that they can speak and write English.

YOU guys go out and see if these parts are available--good luck to you. And once you come up empty, ask yourself: notwithstanding the great PQ, would you ever advise anyone to buy one of the few remaining new or used units of this model knowing that if it breaks down it becomes a door stop? I don't think such a recommendation would be possible in good conscience. And the next question is: if Samsung so badly mishandled the parts inventory for this item, would it be wise to trust them with your money for any other high-priced items?

Last edited by William Kaufman; Today at 12:23 PM.
post #12635 of 12638 Old Today, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I wonder what happens outside of California…

If you think parts availability is bad for this set, Vizio is known for not having parts available, period.

I suspect that there's something in the warranty somewhere that allows Samsung to provide an "equivalent" product in the case of parts unavailability.

Last edited by kucharsk; Today at 12:36 PM.
post #12636 of 12638 Old Today, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Kaufman View Post
but this 2013-2014 model is already out of major parts (pending a discovery of some heretofore-undisclosed stash somewhere).

would it be wise to trust them with your money for any other high-priced items?
I asked the same question after a similar CS experience in a different context.

My wag is they're awaiting shipment of the part you need(?) and it will be available soon.
post #12637 of 12638 Old Today, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
My wag is they're awaiting shipment of the part you need(?) and it will be available soon.
One would like to think so--but if they closed down their plasma factories nine months ago, and they did not stockpile an adequate spare parts supply, where are parts like plasma panels going to come from?
post #12638 of 12638 Old Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Kaufman View Post
One would like to think so--but if they closed down their plasma factories nine months ago, and they did not stockpile an adequate spare parts supply, where are parts like plasma panels going to come from?
Your guess is as good as mine.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread