Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 427 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1266Likes

post #12781 of 14082 Old 10-31-2015, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Problem with Amazon App Not Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
After calling support and getting the run around you have to go into initial set up and when the terms and conditions is up change the country code to something else and then back to USA.

On that terms screen hit mute ,return, volume up, channel up, mute

Then it will redo all the current apps
I am having difficulty too. After reading these posts last night, I decided to check the app on my TV. When I clicked on it, the screen went dark and never loaded. Just a black screen. I checked for updates to the apps and there was one available for Amazon so I ran the update. After it updated the Amazon app disappeared from my list of apps!

So I did the sequence of buttons on the remote recommended on this post and changed to country to Canada and then back to United States. The app is now back but when I clicked on it I got a message that there was no internet connection. The internet was working as other apps connected. I think that was a momentary problem caused by the switching of countries.

When I went back and tried the app again it failed to load. I got the eternal black screen.

How do I get the Amazon video app working again? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 14082 Old 10-31-2015, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So I got a new couch and an awesome side effect is that the buzz is now gone when I'm sitting dead center in front of the TV. I used to have a leather couch and now have a cloth one. I can still hear it if I stand up but as long as I keep my head below the couch line, I'm good.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
post #12783 of 14082 Old 10-31-2015, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikore View Post
Yes, I've attached two photos that I took last night. One is of the whole screen, and the other is a close-up shot of the anomaly. You can see it in the photos, but I can assure you that it's much more noticeable in person.

I doubt this is being caused by an imperfection in the glass. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the actual pixels themselves. Several pixels often flash white within the anomaly – it's almost as if there's an overlay of static on top of the normal image on the screen. You can actually see a few of these white pixels in the second image I uploaded.

Yes, but it's not the same shape or size. I don't think it's image retention cause by the volume indicator, if that's what you were implying.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read and respond. I'm starting to think this is an unusual situation.
What ended up coming of this issue? Did the spot ever clear up? Did you contact Samsung. My issue is starting to become as bad as yours and it's really starting to bother me.

post #12784 of 14082 Old 10-31-2015, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydiem View Post
Some have had success by changing the DNS servers in the Network setup to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 (Google).

I'm poor so I don't use Netflix or Amazon, but I think there may be an Amazon app available from Amazon which would probably be more robust than the Samsung app...

And all else failing, call tech support

May we take it that you got your F8500 fixed?
post #12785 of 14082 Old 10-31-2015, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsNWarrants View Post
Some have had success by changing the DNS servers in the Network setup to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 (Google).
There is a free GRC.COM utility, DNS Benchmark, that can be used to find the best DNS for your location https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm . See my Post How slow is Google DNS from your location? at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r302...-your-location .
post #12786 of 14082 Old 11-01-2015, 06:33 AM

No, it is not fixed yet. I haven't had time to mess with it yet this weekend. Plan to look at it later today.
post #12787 of 14082 Old 11-01-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Great....

So my Panel needs to be replaced. Getting this weird white flashing on the bottom mimicking whats on the top half of the screen. Called BestBuy to get it repaired since I bought the warranty. Told me the panel is EOL and they will give me a credit for a new TV.

Now i have to figure out what to get...
post #12788 of 14082 Old 11-01-2015, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodomySquirrel View Post
Great....

So my Panel needs to be replaced. Getting this weird white flashing on the bottom mimicking whats on the top half of the screen. Called BestBuy to get it repaired since I bought the warranty. Told me the panel is EOL and they will give me a credit for a new TV.

Now i have to figure out what to get...
Actually, that sounds more like the "Black Optimizer" problem, which (by a couple of accounts, but nothing authoritative) is a problem with the Y-board. But, good luck finding a Y-board...

Samsung F8500 Black Optimizer issue - anyone else experience this?

Does the problem go away when you turn off the Black Optimizer or set it to bright room?
post #12789 of 14082 Old 11-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Having issues lately with the TV going off (black screen). I have to turn it on, off, on, off, on, off a bunch of times for it to finally come back on. Sometimes I get sound, most times not. Happens about twice a week now. Any ideas?

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #12790 of 14082 Old 11-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodomySquirrel View Post
Great....

So my Panel needs to be replaced. Getting this weird white flashing on the bottom mimicking whats on the top half of the screen..
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
Actually, that sounds more like the "Black Optimizer" problem, which (by a couple of accounts, but nothing authoritative) is a problem with the Y-board. But, good luck finding a Y-board...

Samsung F8500 Black Optimizer issue - anyone else experience this?

Does the problem go away when you turn off the Black Optimizer or set it to bright room?
Yep, what he said. That sounds like the Black Optimizer issue. It sucks that they aren't going to repair it for you. But maybe changing BO settings is a better compromise for you than getting a replacement display. Give it a try.
post #12791 of 14082 Old 11-03-2015, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So this popped up on Craigslist this morning:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ele/5297363248.html

At $675, is the a good price for the 60-inch model? This guy seems to know what he is talking about, quoting contrast ratios and calibration readings.

If I go look at it, what should I ask and look for?

Mark
post #12792 of 14082 Old 11-03-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhyams View Post
So this popped up on Craigslist this morning:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ele/5297363248.html

At $675, is the a good price for the 60-inch model? This guy seems to know what he is talking about, quoting contrast ratios and calibration readings.

If I go look at it, what should I ask and look for?

Mark
I woulf jump on it at that price.

MUTE MUTE 7 3 7 ENTER (You'll have to try at least twice, probably) will display a screen containing MRT which is the number of hours on the set, while not disturbing\affecting any settings. Power off to dismiss that screen.

Look carefully at the panel with the whitest screen you can find and again with the blackest. Variations, discoloration and image retention would be reasons to pass. Look for scratches and make sure the screen has not been washed, which ruins the filter.

Hopefully others will chime in with tips.

Edit: Listen for buzzing a few feet from the center of the screen; many 60" sets buzz.
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #12793 of 14082 Old 11-03-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:

make sure the screen has not been washed, which ruins the filter.
Strongly agree.

Tell us more about washing the screen, please.

Last edited by bmcn; 11-03-2015 at 11:31 AM.
post #12794 of 14082 Old 11-03-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

MUTE MUTE 7 3 7 ENTER (You'll have to try at least twice, probably) will display a screen containing MRT which is the number of hours on the set, while not disturbing\affecting any settings.
Thanks for the info! What sort of hours should I be looking for? What would be too high/just right?

Mark
post #12795 of 14082 Old 11-04-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhyams View Post
Thanks for the info! What sort of hours should I be looking for? What would be too high/just right?

Mark
I'm probably too late to help, but I suggest that hours should be in the realm of 3 to 5 per day; seller will tell you how long owned. Fewer would raise an alarm, meaning seller was not a happy camper. More might indicate pre-school children or a demo unit.

Set should be good for at minimum 20K hours. 30K is a reasonable maximum expectation?
post #12796 of 14082 Old 11-04-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Tell us more about washing the screen, please.
The Emanual contains a page titled SAFETY PRECAUTIONS. It's a PDF which means I can't copy and paste from it, so you'll have to read it yourself.

The manual can be had from
ftp://andthatsjazz.org/pub/avshd709/...500Emanual.pdf
if you need that.
post #12797 of 14082 Old 11-04-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
The Emanual contains a page titled SAFETY PRECAUTIONS. It's a PDF which means I can't copy and paste from it, so you'll have to read it yourself.

if you need that.
From the Emanual,
Quote:
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
The following safety instructions are to ensure your personal safety and prevent property damage.
Please read them to ensure the proper use of the product.
● Do not place the product in a location exposed to direct sunlight, heat, fire, or water. Exposure
may result in a product malfunction or fire.
● Do not apply force to the lenses of the 3D glasses. Do not drop or bend the product. Applying
force, dropping, or bending may result in a product malfunction.
● Keep components of the 3D glasses out of reach of children, and especially ensure children do
not swallow one of the components. If your child swallowed a component, consult your doctor
immediately.
● When cleaning the product, do not spray water or cleaner directly onto the surface of the product.
Spraying water or cleaner directly onto the glasses may result in fire or electric shock, damage to
the product's surface, or cause the indicator labels on the product's surface to come loose.
● Do not apply chemicals containing alcohol, solvent, or surfactant such as wax, benzene, thinner,
pesticide, air freshener, lubricant, or cleaner to the product. These chemicals may cause the
product's exterior to be discolored or cracked, or labels or instructions to be removed. Use only
a soft cloth such as superfine fibers or cotton flannels for cleaning the product as the surface or
the lenses easily cracks. Because the product can be easily scratched with foreign substances,
make sure to dust off the cloth before using.
● Do not sleep while wearing the 3D glasses. Wearing the 3D glasses while sleeping may damage
them.
● Do not disassemble, repair, or modify the 3D glasses by yourself. Do not use a product that is
damaged.
● Take care that you do not injure your eyes with the edges of the frame of the 3D glasses when
wearing them.
● Put the 3D glasses on and take them off with both hands.
● Use only approved batteries, and make sure to insert the batteries in the correct polarities. If
the batteries are replaced in the wrong polarities, the batteries may implode or leak its internal
chemicals, which may cause fire, inflict injury on users, or contaminate (damage) its environment.
(for the SSG-5100 model)
● Keep the removed batteries out of childrens' reach to prevent children from swallowing them. If
they swallow them, consult with a doctor immediately. (for the SSG-5100 model)
WantsNWarrants likes this.
post #12798 of 14082 Old 11-04-2015, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I suggest that hours should be in the realm of 3 to 5 per day; seller will tell you how long owned. Fewer would raise an alarm, meaning seller was not a happy camper.
Fewer than 3-5 hours/day would mean seller was not a happy camper!? Who has 3-5 hours/day to watch TV?!@#?!@# Maybe the unemployed, but they're not the ones who could afford one of these TVs new. Unless maybe retired or something. I would think the lower the hours the better, certainly not alarm-worthy.
pitviper33 likes this.
post #12799 of 14082 Old 11-05-2015, 03:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:

if you need that.

Great advice; thanks for the tip on how to maintain the 3D glasses.

Last edited by bmcn; 11-05-2015 at 04:00 AM.
post #12800 of 14082 Old 11-05-2015, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3456 Post(s)
Liked: 2527
So it is time to get torches and pitchforks and march on Samsung over the lack of a 2015 Evolution Kit yet?

@imagic Do you have any Samsung contacts you can ping? As a fellow F8500 owner I figure you might be a little interested.
post #12801 of 14082 Old 11-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Haven't been on the forum for a while, and have forgotten the posting rules about stores, but FWIW, there is a demo model 8500 for sale, on their clearance page, at my local hi-fi store. As a fellow plasma owner (although Panny ZT) figured someone here may be interested?
post #12802 of 14082 Old 11-06-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Great advice; thanks for the tip on how to maintain the 3D glasses.
Yes I AM senile
bmcn likes this.
post #12803 of 14082 Old 11-06-2015, 03:56 PM

post #12804 of 14082 Old 11-06-2015, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi, I have a samsung pn60f8500afxza plasma, that won't power on, just a blinking red standby light in the front. I've done some basic testing, with youtube videos help, but need more advice. Tested voltage at the Power Supply board, all voltages look okay except VS&VA. VS should be 210dcv but reads 11v and VA should be 60 but reads 0.03. They read at their proper voltage when first plugging in the unit, but continually decrease till they reach low voltages.I tested vs and va at their board test points and individual plugs throughout the unit The remaining voltages around the board are good and all grounds check good. Standby is 5.2 and PS-ON is 3.1 while unit is unplugged and 0.02 while unit is plugged in, is that normal?
I checked all y-board to y-scan drive board connections for resistance/ground continuity all seem good. I did find two pins on the X-board connections showing resistance/continuity to ground on the upper most x-board connection, could this be the problem or should that be a grounded posts within the connectors?
I was given this tv from a friend for no charge, so any help pointing me in the right direction or any helpful links for troubleshooting repairs would be greatly appreciated!
post #12805 of 14082 Old 11-07-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 784
The dreaded "wait fifteen minutes or you can't turn it back on" problem has returned in vengeance to my F8500.

We know that it's usually the (now unavailable) Y board, so should I call Samsung and take the eventual refund or just try and live with it?

My main concern is that it will get worse to the point where it eventually will not turn on at all, and at a point when it's no longer under warranty.

Suggestions?
post #12806 of 14082 Old 11-08-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
I am having difficulty too. After reading these posts last night, I decided to check the app on my TV. When I clicked on it, the screen went dark and never loaded. Just a black screen. I checked for updates to the apps and there was one available for Amazon so I ran the update. After it updated the Amazon app disappeared from my list of apps!

So I did the sequence of buttons on the remote recommended on this post and changed to country to Canada and then back to United States. The app is now back but when I clicked on it I got a message that there was no internet connection. The internet was working as other apps connected. I think that was a momentary problem caused by the switching of countries.

When I went back and tried the app again it failed to load. I got the eternal black screen.

I had a issue where my Amazon wouldn't load. Went to the app screen and the top left corner, there was an icon, to update apps. Update all and it worked again.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #12807 of 14082 Old 11-08-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

I had a issue where my Amazon wouldn't load. Went to the app screen and the top right corner, there was an icon, to update apps. Update all and it worked again. Can't remember if it first page, or second page where you add apps.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #12808 of 14082 Old 11-08-2015, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Can someone guide me HOW do it SHARE or View my PC content from the TV over the network ?

When i press on Source i am seeing a "Network IP" source + my PC name...but i doesn't seem able to see anything beyond that...

Same goes to my PC when i view under My Computer i am seeing different drive....and my TV name...

Please tell me HOW to get both end to share and view their content.
post #12809 of 14082 Old 11-09-2015, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
The dreaded "wait fifteen minutes or you can't turn it back on" problem has returned in vengeance to my F8500.

We know that it's usually the (now unavailable) Y board, so should I call Samsung and take the eventual refund or just try and live with it?

My main concern is that it will get worse to the point where it eventually will not turn on at all, and at a point when it's no longer under warranty.

Suggestions?
Depends if you'd rather get it fixed or cash out to use that money on an OLED.

Either way, you'd have to get Samsung involved anyway. I'd call them ASAP as these things tend to drag out anyway.

A friend of mine had a similar situation with a Pioneer plasma. Warranty company paid him off and told him he could keep the non working display. We pulled 2 boards, sent them to this guy on ebay that said that he could fix the problem, popped them back in and the display came to life. Seems that the ebay guy charged $75 plus me spending the better part of 2 afternoons working on it which has value so its not exactly like it only cost $75 to fix it. Doing a quick search on ebay for F8500 Y boards, there appears that there several search results and they don't all look the same. You'd need to track it down before ordering if you go that route.
post #12810 of 14082 Old 11-09-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Pretty much I'm expecting to eventually get a refund and purchase an OLED, though there's a non-zero chance Geek Squad may actually have a Y board lying around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page