Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 7588 Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did the test... factory reset the TV via menu, fully plugged and unplugged it and sure enough SOE disappeared with Cinema Smooth OFF but... not for long, as soon as I turned Cinema Smooth ON and then back OFF SOE came back and never left until entire TV was powered OFF. Definitely a bug, I am just surprised that we are both on 1110 firmware and in your case firmware update cured it and in mine it keeps SOE up until I turn TV OFF/ON. So weird... Can Samsung be using older boards or something. What month is your 64F8500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I had that happen before on older firmware, I had the soap opera effect with everything turned off. Powering off the tv and turning it back on fixed it for me. I haven't had that problem with the new firmware though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 7588 Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have the 60" but to tell you the truth I never turn on CS so it could still be an issue.
post #1263 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher12 View Post

I'm on my third 60" F8500 and all three have buzzed. My viewing distance is about seven feet. I've seen a few other F8500s in private homes and they've all buzzed as well. Personally, I think they all buzz and the only reason some people don't hear it is their ears. Having said that, my three units have all buzzed slightly differently and with somewhat different pitches. Its kind of a crap-shoot as far as replacement goes, though. I really don't think build date has anything to do with it, either, as my three sets were built in different months and have all suffered from varying degrees of the same problems.

Sorry do disappoint, but mine doesn't buzz unless I put my ears behind it, or really listen for it in a really quiet room. And I am usually bothered by buzzing from my old Pioneer plasmas, even from my last LCD, and also from stand alone transformators like chargers etc. And I must say I am surprised by this, as this was something I worried about before buying this set according to all reports. My set was probably a late July build (it is a July build, but was the second batch my retailer got in last month).
post #1264 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

From what i have read so far, it is best to just build a HTPC to do all the work. I think i will just hold off and get a windows 8.1 laptop with haswell, attach a usb 3.0 external drive ... What do you think?

Might be best since the laptop can do all the transcoding.. Im sure a laptop uses far less electricity then a desktop computer.
I think you might be surprised just how many formats the F8500 supports natively without transcoding.
Put sample videos on a USB stick and plug it into the TV.
I think it baulks at playing DVD/BluRay .isos and DVD/BluRay disk structures, but I've had good success with avi/mkv/wmv/mp4 files.

I've only just installed Plex on my F8500 and am still evaluating.
For years I've been using a media player from SageTV. Sadly no longer with us after being purchased by Google, but that's another story...
post #1265 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 AM

Liked: 32
I use Plex too. It's plays all of my mkv, mp4/m4v, avi files with ease. Rarely is transcoding necessary. Almost all of my stuff is encoded with DTS and it passes it through to my receiver perfectly w/o transcoding. I love the Samsung Plex app, which is even better than the Roku Plex app I use on my bedroom Panny Plasma, which is saying something, as that is a great app too! But the Samsung one is excellence and is constantly updated.

I've also had no issues using 3d encoded files. It works perfectly. In the one case it didn't play, all I had to do was add the letters h-sbs to the file name of the mkv file and it instantly recognized it. In fact, I used it last night to watch "Upside Down" in 3D (trippy 3d flick btw).

My biggest issue w/ Plex is its inability to play "all files" in regards to music. But this is a Plex issue, not Samsung. Which is patently absurd though, to have a music player that can't just play "all" from your library.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #1266 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 07:04 AM

Liked: 15
just wanted to report that the standard remote was included in the package with my tv that was delivered this morning
post #1267 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus46 View Post

I think you might be surprised just how many formats the F8500 supports natively without transcoding.
Put sample videos on a USB stick and plug it into the TV.
I think it baulks at playing DVD/BluRay .isos and DVD/BluRay disk structures, but I've had good success with avi/mkv/wmv/mp4 files.

I've only just installed Plex on my F8500 and am still evaluating.
For years I've been using a media player from SageTV. Sadly no longer with us after being purchased by Google, but that's another story...

I went from the usb hdd on the samsung to plex, its so much nbetter since box art gets downloaded, catogorized etc.
post #1268 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakking View Post

just wanted to report that the standard remote was included in the package with my tv that was delivered this morning

Is your buzzing included as well?
post #1269 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Is your buzzing included as well?

nothing struck me as out of whack when the delivery guys turned it on, but I'm used to an extra, small fan running to vent the tv they took away

i'll have a better chance to go over it after work
post #1270 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 AM

@Improvise you are in Sweden? Correct? if that is the case, I think there is a correlation that I was able to establish by reading here, European units do not buzz as much or as loud, in fact few European units buzz at all, I suspect it has something to do with 50Hz AC, while USA units are 60 Hz AC and they buzz more often. I might be completely wrong, but I have seen several reports from F8500 owners in Europe and they said their units are near silent. Right or wrong, I do hear it extremely well. Given the video processing defect that I discovered last night and was able to confirm it, I suspect I may need to get a new unit. I will contact Amazon about it, but I saw somewhere that Amazon's fulfilling old stock from their DC's becasue they were at the higher price points and did not move enough units before the $800 rebate. Now Amazon is moving things through like all dealers do but... who knows how big is their warehouse supply of older units. If late July is buzz-free then it is worth the try with Samsung direct but so far I was not even able to reach Samsung at all, no response, neither through email, Facebook or Twitter. If anyone knows how to get in touch with correct support at Samsung? 800 number will take 2-3 hours and most likely will result in tech appointment and that tech that will come out will not hear a thing, we all know the drill too well, all company assigned techs are partially deaf at the frequencies that these TVs buzz smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

Sorry do disappoint, but mine doesn't buzz unless I put my ears behind it, or really listen for it in a really quiet room. And I am usually bothered by buzzing from my old Pioneer plasmas, even from my last LCD, and also from stand alone transformators like chargers etc. And I must say I am surprised by this, as this was something I worried about before buying this set according to all reports. My set was probably a late July build (it is a July build, but was the second batch my retailer got in last month).
post #1271 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphron View Post

I use Plex which streams 3D movies from my Plex Media Server. Streaming videos do have DTS and DolbyHD. Additionally, my PS3 from HDMI2 does support Dolby HD and DTS. The optical cable will not transmit that data to the AVR. The optical cable also does not override the fact that the TV takes forever to turn on which means the Harmony remote stay on the original input; the initial change order from the Harmony will not take as the TV takes too long to load. If you watch TV, that's fine, but if you use an activity that uses a different HDMI input, your TV will end up on the original input. The optical cable will not solve that.

Now, if you only use one HDMI input then I guess that problem doesn't apply, other than missing out on PC mode and DTS and Dolby HD.

I used Plex on my last Samsung, a PN64E8000, but I haven't been able to find it in the Samsung apps available for download on my 8500. Am I looking in the wrong place for the app? How did you get Plex up and running? Thanks in advance.

Update: I was able to find the app by just scrolling through them. I had been using the search function and for some reason it wasn't pulling it up. Installed and works great.
post #1272 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Guys, can't seem to figure this out. I had STB sources on HDMI1 and HDMI4. Now I wish to remove the sources and reset the ports to as how they were out of the box. Is this possible, and if so, how do I reset the ports?

Basically, I want to get to the dropdown menu on these ports that allows you to change the source to PC (to reduce the lag time).

Thanks for any input.
post #1273 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 AM

I suspect it is via Full Reset in the Support Menu of the TV but this is brute-force, I had to do it for motion issues and lost of all settings but it also reset my HDMI ports to factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes View Post

Guys, can't seem to figure this out. I had STB sources on HDMI1 and HDMI4. Now I wish to remove the sources and reset the ports to as how they were out of the box. Is this possible, and if so, how do I reset the ports?

Basically, I want to get to the dropdown menu on these ports that allows you to change the source to PC (to reduce the lag time).

Thanks for any input.
post #1274 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 AM

Liked: 169
Press source then menu up to rename top right of screen.

I think it's rename anyway, not by TV right now.

Sent using Crapalot 2
post #1275 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 PM

Plex rulez

i wonder if panasonic has even implemented it

just curious to see how behind they are with the times lol
post #1276 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

@Improvise you are in Sweden? Correct? if that is the case, I think there is a correlation that I was able to establish by reading here, European units do not buzz as much or as loud, in fact few European units buzz at all, I suspect it has something to do with 50Hz AC, while USA units are 60 Hz AC and they buzz more often. I might be completely wrong, but I have seen several reports from F8500 owners in Europe and they said their units are near silent. Right or wrong, I do hear it extremely well. Given the video processing defect that I discovered last night and was able to confirm it, I suspect I may need to get a new unit. I will contact Amazon about it, but I saw somewhere that Amazon's fulfilling old stock from their DC's becasue they were at the higher price points and did not move enough units before the $800 rebate. Now Amazon is moving things through like all dealers do but... who knows how big is their warehouse supply of older units. If late July is buzz-free then it is worth the try with Samsung direct but so far I was not even able to reach Samsung at all, no response, neither through email, Facebook or Twitter. If anyone knows how to get in touch with correct support at Samsung? 800 number will take 2-3 hours and most likely will result in tech appointment and that tech that will come out will not hear a thing, we all know the drill too well, all company assigned techs are partially deaf at the frequencies that these TVs buzz smile.gif

Yes, I'm in Sweden and have considered that option as well. However, there are quite a few reports about buzzing F8500 over here as well so I don't think that is the reason. Naturally, it is a bit hard to compare a country with 9 million inhabitants with the US, as the number of sold F8500s over here should only be a fraction of what's sold in the US.
post #1277 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

Yes, I'm in Sweden and have considered that option as well. However, there are quite a few reports about buzzing F8500 over here as well so I don't think that is the reason. Naturally, it is a bit hard to compare a country with 9 million inhabitants with the US, as the number of sold F8500s over here should only be a fraction of what's sold in the US.

Im at 6800 ft Denver Co. and my buzzing can only be heard when your face is 2 inches from the set and even so it so minimal its not as bad as panasonic FANs.. The buzzing was alot worse on my ST30. For everyone there is no such thing as a silent plasma.. Go back to LED if you are unhappy
post #1278 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

Plex rulez

Most owners of high end Panasonics and Samsung Plasmas could care less about these silly apps and remotes you always blab about. They only care about picture quality period. All this other marketing garbage is for people that don't have a HTPC and want some of the features. That's good that PLEX works for you but it doesn't even come close to XBMC.
vinnie97 likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #1279 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 PM

Wow, it does not buzz even at the altitude, that is excellent. I would keep the TV even if it stops buzzing at 6 ft. You are lucky with 2" I will take it any time smile.gif Amazon is kind enough to ship a replacement, so I will play the lottery again. What I do like is how uniform the screen on the unit. Did you, guys, who exchanged several units, see variability in the screen uniformity on your 64F8500s from unit to unit?

Quote:

Im at 6800 ft Denver Co. and my buzzing can only be heard when your face is 2 inches from the set and even so it so minimal its not as bad as panasonic FANs.. The buzzing was alot worse on my ST30. For everyone there is no such thing as a silent plasma.. Go back to LED if you are unhappy
post #1280 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Most owners of high end Panasonics and Samsung Plasmas could care less about these silly apps and remotes you always blab about. They only care about picture quality period. All this other marketing garbage is for people that don't have a HTPC and want some of the features. That's good that PLEX works for you but it doesn't even come close to XBMC.

I guess they need to get on the ball with the times because obvously they dont know what they are missing rofl.

Its a good day to blab
post #1281 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Regarding perceptions of buzzing:

Near sea level near Seattle, WA.

Since delivery in May 2013 I have not detected any buzzing at all on my Samsung F8500 plasma. 64". Sometimes watch epl or laliga futbol early morning without any audio. Very happy.
post #1282 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

I guess they need to get on the ball with the times because obvously they dont know what they are missing rofl.

Its a good day to blab

That may be true fore those that are behind times but for the ones that are in todays' modern era, they know nothing comes close or compares to a HTPC. Therefore don't need any Smart Crappy features.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #1283 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:

That may be true fore those that are behind times but for the ones that are in todays' modern era, they know nothing comes close or compares to a HTPC. Therefore don't need any Smart Crappy features.

I still use my tv for hulu , amazon, and plex through samsung I like the smart features.. I guess its cause i dont play pc games on my tv. As long as i have easy access to movies, music through my tv i am cool with it.. I have no need to DVR which i could see the HTPC being a great tool for that function as well as gamming.. My computer upstairs with 20 TB of storage running at 4.8 ghz is left on when i use plex. I plan on getting a laptop and calling it day and just running plex .. Is there something i am missing because maybe i am behind the times

Anyone can answer this why cant the samsung tv just act as a plex server with the hard drive plugged in??
post #1284 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

Plex rulez

lol rolleyes.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1285 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I imagine a lot of people felt the same way about mobile phones - until they got a Galaxy or iPhone smile.gif
post #1286 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:

This is wrong on so many fronts. Geeks like me want always connected peripherals. Having the ability to play 1000s of different formats, ready access to NAS through Plex, Servio, etc. is all god-sent. A lot of apps are crazy-stupid, but Samsung's basic involvement in things like file compatibility and frequent firmware updates is why I chose them over Panasonic.

If you can't see the value in some of these apps, more power to you, but you don't know what you're missing out on because you have never tried it before smile.gif.
post #1287 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus46 View Post

I imagine a lot of people felt the same way about mobile phones - until they got a Galaxy or iPhone smile.gif

Acually i think it was The other way around, when faced with an open alternative where much more could be done better, they ditched their old locked in platform with substandard apps.
post #1288 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:

This is wrong on so many fronts. Geeks like me want always connected peripherals. Having the ability to play 1000s of different formats, ready access to NAS through Plex, Servio, etc. is all god-sent. A lot of apps are crazy-stupid, but Samsung's basic involvement in things like file compatibility and frequent firmware updates is why I chose them over Panasonic.

If you can't see the value in some of these apps, more power to you, but you don't know what you're missing out on because you have never tried it before smile.gif.

Please tell me which Samsung apps I should try because so far I have only noticed that the apps are much better than a few years ago, but I still find most of them useless compared to what I have on my HTPC
post #1289 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:

oh boy i so much agree with you i am giving you some REP thumbs up
post #1290 of 7588 Old 08-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:

I would think it would be possible for samsung to just make plex as a server HTPC on the tv itself.. It has a USB HDD port a OS and is able to decode and play back every type of movie , music format

If they could just make that option and with the ability to turn off the display completely to use say less than 50 watts to just leave the LAN running full time you would have a full time plex server streaming movies to every device in the house. I just bought the apple ipad version of plex it works great.. so does the samsung control app too
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page