Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 442 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1196Likes

Old 02-08-2016, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I usually update, but maybe I should wait this time until further notice.
TheDoctor117 likes this.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
GE Supercinema 3D Array X
Paradigm Millenia CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i hadn't heard any complaints from ppl who had done the update, specifically about the change. i know there's always a risk of the fw flash causing problems, but that's not something i've ever had an issue with, nor am i complaining about right now.

the ironic thing is that i haven't done ALL the updates partly because of the reasons you posted. i expect no change at all, except for the smart features which i did not use until a few months ago. the only reason i did this fw update was because i knew it came with a 'new' menu system. an actual, noticeable change. it seemed like it was an improvement from what i'd read. oh well
even if I hadn't heard any horror stories (though I believe I had) I wouldn't risk to trust samsung and stress hardware with fw flashing
oh, and I've yet to hear anything positive about tizen
Old 02-09-2016, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
sorry, are you talking about the 'overlay' or the full screen? i've set up my apps on the full screen page(the one we've always had) and was happy with how that one worked. with the new 'feature' where you just get an overlay, it seems to keep a list of 'recently used' apps, but i have not found a way to set a favourites list or anything like that. and in order to get back into the full page screen(which i think i still need to use in order to watch locally stored media) requires a few keystrokes to navigate into.

before the update, i'd launch the activity and would be taken to the home screen of the smart menu. it wouldn't launch an app directly, but it would put them at my fingertips ready to go. since the update, i just get the dialog box saying the smart menu is updating, and then a 'no signal' screen(or my htpc if it's still on). and pressing the media hub button only gets me the overlay menu, not the full page that i find much easier to navigate

re-reading what you wrote, i'm now wondering if you are talking about the harmony remote's 'screen' not the tv 'screen'. i have the smart keyboard, so no screen. it worked great for what i had, since it was primarily my HTPC, and a few apps on the tv i was constantly using the keyboard anyway, figured all i needed was to add the ability to turn devices on and select inputs.
Sorry for the delay, I don't read this forum like I used to. No I am not talking about the harmony or main app screen. The overlay that pops up and shows recently used. On each little app icon in the list the upper right corner has two icons I believe. Not in front of my tv right now. One icon to delete it from the recent list and the other icon is a pin. You have to press the up arrow while on the icon. If you click the pin icon it goes to the front of the list and stays there. You have to pin them in the right order to get them where you want in terms of priority but they will remain on that list in that order even if you go use other apps. Then you can set your harmony remote to send the smart hub command, put in a delay for the overlay to pop up and then move right how many times you want until your on the correct app and then select. Just like you did in the main screen before but now with less commands and time to get there.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Someone please post pictures of the update already LOL. Worth more than a thousand words.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
Paradigm Millenia CT
Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My PN51F8500 had some burn-in from playing through Far Cry 4 twice over a 2 month period. That game had a HUD on the lower left corner with a pure white amoeba directional indicator, and I could see that amoeba on bright screens for months after I stopped playing the game. However, I checked it last night with the screen-wipe utility and I didn't see it anymore.

I had a similar experience with my Panasonic GT50 when my son was using it for NBA2K15 (and he plays for countless hours) and its HUD burned into the lower right corner of the screen, particularly the bright white portions of the HUD. Fortunately, he agreed to use a lower brightness setting after we noticed it, and eventually the retention went away.

In our experience, the burn-in only became an issue when we were using "Vivid" settings where the backlight and contrast were at or near maximum settings, but in every case the retention eventually went away given enough time with normal program content on the screen.

Why shouldn't we list our equipment in our signatures? That's weird.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have updated and have no issues FWIW

64PNF8500 Plasma, Yamama RX-V1900, BIC Acoustech 5.1
Old 02-09-2016, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1498
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavan View Post
even if I hadn't heard any horror stories (though I believe I had) I wouldn't risk to trust samsung and stress hardware with fw flashing
oh, and I've yet to hear anything positive about tizen
to each his own. i'm not big on fw updates, but i'm not going to avoid something for no reason either. imo, a lack of positives does not make a negative. if i had waited for positives, i would not have bought the f8500 in the first place(there was no positive reviews related to samsung vs panasonic at the time), and i'd be sitting in the vt60 owners thread instead. at this point, i can honestly say i'm glad that's not the case. i'm not going to sit in my room afraid to use a product because that's a risk to it breaking. i understand why fw updates are done, i understand what the risks are.

i'd also like to say there's a pretty big difference between a general warning about potential risks of doing fw updates, and specific details about a particular update changing things for the worse. kind of like the difference between somebody saying they don't like to invest because there's to much risk of losing their money, vs somebody saying not to invest in a particular stock.

don't take this as me being upset that i wasn't 'warned', i'm not. just me clarifying that your post isn't exactly relevant to what i'm concerned with. it wasn't the fw update PROCESS that was an issue(which is what you really were warning about). i have heard of many ppl having serious issues after doing a fw update. i don't want to start a finger pointing blame off, so let's just say i'm willing to accept what i consider to be a small risk, and easy fix, should there be an error during the update process. that wasn't, and isn't the issue here. just surprised there wasn't more info about the actual update itself. i thought i waited long enough for the dust to settle, but i had not.

but please, let's not make this into something. i'm not blaming the community, or trying to shame anybody for not 'warning me'. just trying to start a dialogue in case others shared my opinion and just didn't feel it was necessary to post, or for some reason they thought they were alone in their opinion and didn't want to go against the grain for whatever reason. and of course for others who have not done the update yet, i want to give them as much info as possible so they can make a better informed decision. if i used the tv differently, i may be more or less likely to recommend the update.
TheDoctor117 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0780 View Post
Sorry for the delay, I don't read this forum like I used to. No I am not talking about the harmony or main app screen. The overlay that pops up and shows recently used. On each little app icon in the list the upper right corner has two icons I believe. Not in front of my tv right now. One icon to delete it from the recent list and the other icon is a pin. You have to press the up arrow while on the icon. If you click the pin icon it goes to the front of the list and stays there. You have to pin them in the right order to get them where you want in terms of priority but they will remain on that list in that order even if you go use other apps. Then you can set your harmony remote to send the smart hub command, put in a delay for the overlay to pop up and then move right how many times you want until your on the correct app and then select. Just like you did in the main screen before but now with less commands and time to get there.
thanks, i'll have to check it out. i just remember seeing the trash can icon. did not realize there was a way to pin things. if i can set my desired apps on the overlay like i could/can the full screen menu, then that should solve my issue with the update itself. just need to figure out why my tv needs so much time to connect every time it's turned on.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
Someone please post pictures of the update already LOL. Worth more than a thousand words.
what do you want exactly? i think in this case pics don't really explain as well as words can. but if you google samsung tizen tv, you'll get plenty of pics of what the update looks like.

the new 'stuff' with this update is that when you push the 'smart hub' button, it doesn't take you to the smart hub anymore. instead you get an on-screen display of popular apps you can scroll through, and the option to go into the smart hub from that on-screen menu, which is overlayed on top of whatever source you're currently viewing. which is all well in good, probably a nice thing when it works well.

i'm just having some issues, in that it doesn't seem to work until 20-30seconds after the tv is turned on. so i'm just sorta sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting. i think in this case it's really a video that's needed, and i'm not really motivated enough to make that happen. it's a bit of a hassle for me to do that, to be honest

Old 02-09-2016, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
just surprised there wasn't more info about the actual update itself. i thought i waited long enough for the dust to settle, but i had not.
Well, Samsung never quite got their act together in publishing on their Support Site what each released firmware upgrade actually fixed/improved. They started publishing version notes for some real early releases, but fell miserably short on updating those version notes. We wouldn't need to wait for any dust to settle if they acted in a professional manner! We would just glance at the Version notes, and decide for ourselves if we wanted to do an update. Samsung's FW support site is really outdated with regards to those version release notes. It's a shame a mega electronics company cannot publish simple notes when releasing a fw update. This should be standard operating protocol for any firmware/software release by any company!

Notice the latest notes for the latest fw update in the attached photo below. The notes for the current update are linked to an earlier update....major fail!! (When was the last time an update actually improved picture quality?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC72E8C7-6331-4809-9D1E-CF92251B7872.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1243121  
vavan likes this.

Last edited by DanF8500; 02-09-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
to each his own. i'm not big on fw updates, but i'm not going to avoid something for no reason either. imo, a lack of positives does not make a negative.
sure. I see no reason to upgrade fw if I don't have problems with currently installed one and don't know a single positive change in newer one. all I know is that samsung restricting features with newer versions

Quote:
it wasn't the fw update PROCESS that was an issue(which is what you really were warning about). i have heard of many ppl having serious issues after doing a fw update
given we have no chances to get replacement tv if update process goes wrong I don't think I'm in position to accept even slightest risk anymore
Old 02-10-2016, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I was just browsing at Best Buy last night and wandered into the Magnolia section where they had the $7-9k latest Samsung's and Sonys.

I was less than impressed with their PQ. Very unnatural looking. I'm so glad I got my 64" in 2014 before they stopped making them.

The only PQ that was comparable was the LG OLEDs.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post
That may be because my post was to the other F8500 forum.

For why and how I added fans see:
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
post#2630 04-15-2013 01:22PM.

For reasoning behind number and placement of fans see:
Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
post#3225 04-20-2013 08:40 PM.

Current Mute-7-3-7-Enter display shows:
My set now has 3680 hours
After more than 10hrs on today, the screen is 29C or 84F

Temperature at set's intake vent is 76.7F.
Temperature of right most fan's exhaust is 79.4F.
The fan's exhausts have a mix of air drawn in from the intake vents and air drawn in around the fan. This mixing helps cool the row of capacitors at the back top right of the set.

Entire back of set has no hot spots and feels room temperature.
No audible fan noise in front of set.

Did the full time with break-in slides. Maybe because of this, I see no color variation across the screen for white and other break-in slides.

My wife and I continue to marvel at the set's picture quality, especially since we added a Darblet 5000, shortly after we got the set. Even 3D is great! I post frequently to forum Darbee vision darblet .
One year update from my above post. Set now has 5638 hours. Have been running with my original fan configuration since April 2013. After warmup: Exhaust temperature max still about 5F above air temperature at intake vent. Entire back of set feels room temperature.

No problems experienced with set. Beautiful picture.
wackedtv and vavan like this.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
what do you want exactly? i think in this case pics don't really explain as well as words can. but if you google samsung tizen tv, you'll get plenty of pics of what the update looks like.

the new 'stuff' with this update is that when you push the 'smart hub' button, it doesn't take you to the smart hub anymore. instead you get an on-screen display of popular apps you can scroll through, and the option to go into the smart hub from that on-screen menu, which is overlayed on top of whatever source you're currently viewing. which is all well in good, probably a nice thing when it works well.

i'm just having some issues, in that it doesn't seem to work until 20-30seconds after the tv is turned on. so i'm just sorta sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting. i think in this case it's really a video that's needed, and i'm not really motivated enough to make that happen. it's a bit of a hassle for me to do that, to be honest
So the all apps screen is gone completely? I'm not a fan of over engineered interfaces in general these days. I like to view all apps not scroll endlessly across a screen. UI gets more annoying by the minute, like Windows 10 LOL.

What Samsung needed to fix was the random lockups in the menu and stop the overdone useless laggy animations haha. Now they've added another usability issue, since this new version takes longer to load.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
Paradigm Millenia CT

Last edited by hpp8140; 02-10-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Is this view available? I could live with that.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
Paradigm Millenia CT
Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Tizen 1, shortly to increase to Tizen 2 - is a learning in progress OS. In other words, the more you use it, the speedier it gets.

OS will not go into full function until the set logs in, which, now takes longer under Tizen. Once you see you're logged in, you should be good to go.
Have not tested whether it's a faster boot up if there's no account login registered.

UN65HU9000 with SEK-3500U - Mine
UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U / UN32EH5300 / 2 X LG 55LHXs - wife's !
PN64F8500 up for sale
Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Another question...If you push the "sources" button on the remote, is that Tizen also?

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
Paradigm Millenia CT
Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Is this view available? I could live with that.

You can keep your old view. Just more steps.

Hit the app button
Go to featured, click on it.
On app icon, click.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	1244809  

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.

Last edited by dsskid; 02-10-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
You can keep your old view. Just more steps.

Hit the app button
Go to featured, click on it.
On app icon, click.
Thanks, that was helpful. So it looks similar to this...

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
Paradigm Millenia CT
Old 02-10-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Thanks, that was helpful. So it looks similar to this...

Click on that app icon, and it will look like the pic I posted in the previous link.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, then I don't mind updating Thanks for the help.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
Paradigm Millenia CT
Old 02-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Well after a month and a half Samsung has finally said they would replace my tv. I told them I would like a refund as I never plan on buying a Samsung tv again due to their lousy CS and how long this has dragged out. I guess me living in a rural location doesn't help with getting techs out here but even when the guy showed up he was here for 5 minutes and left. Samsung said they needed better photos of the screen problem so they sent the tech out here. I just sat back and shook my head when he pulled out his S4 to take the pictures. I think it was my final set of photos that finally changed their mind.
I was watching Das Boot and noticed the screen looked like crap so I started snapping photos.
I guess now the fight begins with the refund/return.
Kinda sad that it looks like I may be buying a 75" Vizio M series to replace this. Not a fan of LED.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I'm devastated. My place was broken into and my 8500 stolen. I spent hours reading every post on this tv, had a great one, no buzzing, no problems with the picture. Spent hours playing with the settings. Thought this tv would last me years until OLED tech shakes out. I'm crushed.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Well, Samsung never quite got their act together in publishing on their Support Site what each released firmware upgrade actually fixed/improved. They started publishing version notes for some real early releases, but fell miserably short on updating those version notes. We wouldn't need to wait for any dust to settle if they acted in a professional manner! We would just glance at the Version notes, and decide for ourselves if we wanted to do an update. Samsung's FW support site is really outdated with regards to those version release notes. It's a shame a mega electronics company cannot publish simple notes when releasing a fw update. This should be standard operating protocol for any firmware/software release by any company!

Notice the latest notes for the latest fw update in the attached photo below. The notes for the current update are linked to an earlier update....major fail!! (When was the last time an update actually improved picture quality?)
sad as it is, i never even checked samsung. it never even crossed my mind that they might have useful information, haha. i was surprised there wasn't more info on here. seems like every other fw update 30 ppl would comment about it maybe, slightly changed black levels(which it never actually did), so when something obviously new is part of the update, i figured there'd be some discussion. unless it was another non-event and basically worked the same as always. so that's what i assumed would happen.

i understand that fw updates are sometimes viewed as 'fixing something that isn't broken', but in reality they supposed to fix future potential problems. it's amazing what you don't notice happening, but try installing a really old OS on your computer and don't do any updates and you'll quickly realize how much updates really do help. granted if you use the tv as a 'display' only, like i used to, then fw updates aren't needed. but if you do use the smart features, you'll want the most current fw to reduce the chances of those apps and features having compatibility issues. because as much as you may want to 'not fix what isn't broken' the ppl on the other end will be constantly changing their apps, and if you want to keep up, you're force to update too.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeuva View Post
Well, I'm devastated. My place was broken into and my 8500 stolen. I spent hours reading every post on this tv, had a great one, no buzzing, no problems with the picture. Spent hours playing with the settings. Thought this tv would last me years until OLED tech shakes out. I'm crushed.

Ugh, sorry to hear! I hope insurance helps you find another good TV. I bought a used 8500 a couple months ago and it has worked out well.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So the all apps screen is gone completely? I'm not a fan of over engineered interfaces in general these days. I like to view all apps not scroll endlessly across a screen. UI gets more annoying by the minute, like Windows 10 LOL.

What Samsung needed to fix was the random lockups in the menu and stop the overdone useless laggy animations haha. Now they've added another usability issue, since this new version takes longer to load.
the 'old' menu is a secondary menu now. you can still access it, but not as easily as before, it requires navigating into now.

when you press the smart hub button now, a simple overlay pops up on the bottom left corner. you are presented with a 'featured' box(which is where you can navigate into the old menus, eventually) and a 'recent apps' that you can scroll through.

it's good in theory, to quickly get into your most used apps. but makes it a bit more cumbersome to get into the rest of them. my solution would be one press of the smart hub gives the overlay, and a second press of the smart hub button takes you into the old menu. i'm just annoyed by how many different commands are required to get into that 'old' menu. considering half the time i need to get into that menu to access the locally stored media i watch, it just seems unnecessarily complicated now

Old 02-11-2016, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post
Well after a month and a half Samsung has finally said they would replace my tv. I told them I would like a refund as I never plan on buying a Samsung tv again due to their lousy CS and how long this has dragged out. I guess me living in a rural location doesn't help with getting techs out here but even when the guy showed up he was here for 5 minutes and left. Samsung said they needed better photos of the screen problem so they sent the tech out here. I just sat back and shook my head when he pulled out his S4 to take the pictures. I think it was my final set of photos that finally changed their mind.
I was watching Das Boot and noticed the screen looked like crap so I started snapping photos.
I guess now the fight begins with the refund/return.
Kinda sad that it looks like I may be buying a 75" Vizio M series to replace this. Not a fan of LED.
i'm viewing on my laptop so excuse me, but what am i looking at? every pic looks different so i can't tell what is wrong with the screen and what is an artifact of the pic

you can always go oled...

Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
i'm viewing on my laptop so excuse me, but what am i looking at? every pic looks different so i can't tell what is wrong with the screen and what is an artifact of the pic

you can always go oled...
Vertical bands throughout the screen area.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think it's the vertical bands on the right he is talking about.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ha you beat me.
kingpin111 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread