Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 451 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1266Likes

post #13501 of 14082 Old 06-02-2016, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanebob View Post
Bummer is, I will surely have lost my calibration once I change out the Main board (maybe I wrote the numbers down somewhere?...)
It'd be interesting to see if the calibration is entirely the screen or the sum of all components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13502 of 14082 Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Perhaps it's the main board...? Pretty soon I'll have nearly every replacement board for this TV! There was the blown capacitor on the Y-Main board, and I wonder if that has damaged the main board or wiped the eeprom?... Help! ughhh!
At this point, you have no recourse but to continue. It's very possible that the blown capacitor on the Y-board shorted the main board.
post #13503 of 14082 Old 06-02-2016, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damazeen View Post
At this point, you have no recourse but to continue. It's very possible that the blown capacitor on the Y-board shorted the main board.
Isn't it more likely that a blown capacitor would cause an open circuit?

post #13504 of 14082 Old 06-02-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Open in DC, Short in AC as I seem to remember it, but my memory isn't what it used to be...
The badcaps forum guys are much more savvy at these sort of things than I ever could be.
post #13505 of 14082 Old 06-05-2016, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Thanks for the informed advice. Ill do just that. I wont be able to get to opening the F8500 up till probably next Sunday. Ill keep posting updates on the thread as I progress.
Be very careful moving this TV around. It can be cracked very easily. When working on it, take the base off and lay flat on the floor.
EscapeVelocity and damazeen like this.

Lifes a beach and then you die....
post #13506 of 14082 Old 06-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So, I received the main (logic)board for my 60F8500 today and installed it, and still no picture. I installed the X-main board and X-buffer board as well, and no luck. In all I have replaced the seven major boards on the TV and still have no picture, and the TV is apparently doing a self test and not booting because of some fault that still exists. Something else must have been damaged when the initial failure occurred. I have successfully fixed a dozen LCD sets, and this plasma is apparently much more complicated and has bested me. I will be returning all of the boards, and so will have only incurred shipping costs - and after we have moved back to the States next month (we are currently living in the USVI) I will file a repair ticket with Samsung. The sad part is that there is an error code being displayed, but I cannot pinpoint the cause or find the fix, either here or elsewhere on the web. Thank you for the info on error codes Damazeen, but I have not been able to troubleshoot any farther.
damazeen likes this.

ISF Calibrator
post #13507 of 14082 Old 06-09-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
So, I received the main (logic)board for my 60F8500 today and installed it, and still no picture. I installed the X-main board and X-buffer board as well, and no luck. In all I have replaced the seven major boards on the TV and still have no picture, and the TV is apparently doing a self test and not booting because of some fault that still exists. Something else must have been damaged when the initial failure occurred. I have successfully fixed a dozen LCD sets, and this plasma is apparently much more complicated and has bested me. I will be returning all of the boards, and so will have only incurred shipping costs - and after we have moved back to the States next month (we are currently living in the USVI) I will file a repair ticket with Samsung. The sad part is that there is an error code being displayed, but I cannot pinpoint the cause or find the fix, either here or elsewhere on the web. Thank you for the info on error codes Damazeen, but I have not been able to troubleshoot any farther.
Sucks it wouldn't boot up. Good luck with Samsung.
post #13508 of 14082 Old 06-14-2016, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damazeen View Post
Sucks it wouldn't boot up. Good luck with Samsung.
I have great news!! I was about to remove, package and mail off all of the replacement boards that I had bought and installed and decided to have another look at the 60F8500. Maybe I hadn't seated a ribbon cable or two properly? I had labeled all of the original boards and thought that I had replaced all of them, but had not changed out the X-main board and the X-buffer board - the original was still in the TV! I scratched my head, as I thought that I had replaced all of them, and why would I just put back two of the original boards? I removed the original X main and X-buffer boards, installed the (used) replacements and - Voila! The TV works!! I was about to box it up in preparation for our move to FL, and I have fixed it! I am ecstatic! So, to wrap things up (and give all F8500 owners renewed hope...) a capacitor exploded on the Y main board. This apparently also took out the X main board. I replaced the Y main and Y-buffer boards, and the X main and X buffer board and the unit is fine. I checked the Main logic (input) board, which was fine, and so was the power supply board. The cost, used, of the defective boards came to $270 not including shipping. I can not return the power supply board, as some suppliers do not allow returns and will keep that as a spare. (I always try shopjimmy first, as they allow returns and even pay the return shipping, but they don't always have the parts in stock) I may even keep the Main (input) board as a spare, and I will hold on to the defective boards to be used for parts in the future when perhaps even second-hand boards may not be available. I don't like it when things don't work, and am usually able to fix whatever I own that has a problem, and I thought that this plasma had gotten the better of me. Hallelujah!

ISF Calibrator
post #13509 of 14082 Old 06-14-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I have great news!! I was about to remove, package and mail off all of the replacement boards that I had bought and installed and decided to have another look at the 60F8500. Maybe I hadn't seated a ribbon cable or two properly? I had labeled all of the original boards and thought that I had replaced all of them, but had not changed out the X-main board and the X-buffer board - the original was still in the TV! I scratched my head, as I thought that I had replaced all of them, and why would I just put back two of the original boards? I removed the original X main and X-buffer boards, installed the (used) replacements and - Voila! The TV works!! I was about to box it up in preparation for our move to FL, and I have fixed it! I am ecstatic! So, to wrap things up (and give all F8500 owners renewed hope...) a capacitor exploded on the Y main board. This apparently also took out the X main board. I replaced the Y main and Y-buffer boards, and the X main and X buffer board and the unit is fine. I checked the Main logic (input) board, which was fine, and so was the power supply board. The cost, used, of the defective boards came to $270 not including shipping. I can not return the power supply board, as some suppliers do not allow returns and will keep that as a spare. (I always try shopjimmy first, as they allow returns and even pay the return shipping, but they don't always have the parts in stock) I may even keep the Main (input) board as a spare, and I will hold on to the defective boards to be used for parts in the future when perhaps even second-hand boards may not be available. I don't like it when things don't work, and am usually able to fix whatever I own that has a problem, and I thought that this plasma had gotten the better of me. Hallelujah!
That's just awesome, man!! I'm really happy for you that you got it working again! Enjoy!!
post #13510 of 14082 Old 06-18-2016, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Has anyone watched HBO using a fire TV? I am watching Game
Of Thrones and the dark scenes are very water colorish.....definitely not sharp at all. Is this typical due to the video source or is there something wrong with my TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13511 of 14082 Old 06-18-2016, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppilot View Post
Of Thrones and the dark scenes are very water colorish.....definitely not sharp at all. Is this typical due to the video source or is there something wrong with my TV?

most likely video compression from source

LN55C630, PN64F8500, Definitive SSA-50, GE Supercinema 3D Array X, Paradigm Millenia CT
post #13512 of 14082 Old 06-18-2016, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:

During my brief, failed, cutting the cord exercise I subscribed to HBO Now and watched it on a Fire Stick. I didn't see any picture quality issues.

Paul
post #13513 of 14082 Old 06-18-2016, 12:24 PM

Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk)

Here's a short video hopefully showing what I am

Last edited by ppilot; 06-18-2016 at 12:56 PM.
post #13514 of 14082 Old 06-19-2016, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Here's a short video hopefully showing what I am
It may be an RGB range issue. I don't know if the Fire outputs RGB Full or RGB Limited. I know my friend has a Roku, and when he comes over and we watch GoT on my set, the Roku outputs RGB Full for the interface and menus, but HBO Go videos themself are encoded in Limited. So I have to go into the Picture options and set the HDMI Black to Low to expand the range properly when watching an episode.
post #13515 of 14082 Old 06-19-2016, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
most likely video compression from source
This is the issue - I experienced the same thing a while back and came to this conclusion. The HBO Apps use different compression and in an attempt to make sure no shadow detail is hidden they raise the black level through compression.
post #13516 of 14082 Old 06-20-2016, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wink

Quote:

For the record, a blown cap will almost always be an open, AC or DC, while remote it is possible for a cap to end up shorted after being blown but that is pretty rare.

What you might be thinking of is RF, where an open can look like a short to RF frequencies, like in waveguides and such. My first instructor in RF circuits used to say that all RF is FM, friggin magic
post #13517 of 14082 Old 06-21-2016, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
last night my 2+ years old ps51f8500 (european) having 2000+ hours developed vertical line on the left side and I have NO extended warranty. afaik it will only get worse with the course of time
post #13518 of 14082 Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone need accessories/box/remote/etc.?

So, I'm a sad [former] owner of a 64" F8500 that developed some vertical lines during a socal heatwave about a year ago. After 10 months of battling with Samsung, I'm a new owner of a KS9500.

At any rate, they just took the TV. So I have the box, the stand, the remote, the accessories, the glasses, etc. from the old 8500. Is anyone here interested in any of this? I assume I could sell the remote/glasses on eBay or something, but I figured since everyone here has been so helpful, I'd ask around if anyone, I dunno, needs an extra stand, or wants a 64" box, or wants a great deal on all the accessories, glasses, etc.

Thanks for everything, and see you in the KS95000 thread! =]

I like stuff.  And things.

post #13519 of 14082 Old 06-21-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

I've never notice any issues with GoT, but I watch on either HBOGO or DirecTV. Either there are some compression issues with the fire stick, or what you are seeing was intended. Try watching another episodes and see if it comes up. What picture settings are you using with the fire stick?

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's
PSA V3600I
Marantz SR7008 with TK421 Modification
Emotiva XPA-5
Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Oppo UDP-203
post #13520 of 14082 Old 06-21-2016, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
If it was a sixty I would have loved the stand. But alas, no luck.

post #13521 of 14082 Old 06-21-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaockle View Post
It may be an RGB range issue. I don't know if the Fire outputs RGB Full or RGB Limited. I know my friend has a Roku, and when he comes over and we watch GoT on my set, the Roku outputs RGB Full for the interface and menus, but HBO Go videos themself are encoded in Limited. So I have to go into the Picture options and set the HDMI Black to Low to expand the range properly when watching an episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
This is the issue - I experienced the same thing a while back and came to this conclusion. The HBO Apps use different compression and in an attempt to make sure no shadow detail is hidden they raise the black level through compression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
I've never notice any issues with GoT, but I watch on either HBOGO or DirecTV. Either there are some compression issues with the fire stick, or what you are seeing was intended. Try watching another episodes and see if it comes up. What picture settings are you using with the fire stick?

Thanks for the input everybody. So I tried using the HBO Go via the Smart Hub and I didn't get any of the blooming issues I was dealing with on the Fire TV Stick which means there is some compression issues going on. Overall, this is another reason why I think the Fire TV Stick is not a very good product. Last fall, the HBO Go app wasn't even usable due to the audio sync issues, so I might just bite the bullet and get the full size one.
post #13522 of 14082 Old 06-21-2016, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelrcenter View Post
If it was a sixty I would have loved the stand. But alas, no luck.

I have a spare 60" stand if you want it. Just send me a pm.
post #13523 of 14082 Old 06-21-2016, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Is anyone having issues with the hbo go app, my Internet connection keeps going out only on that app, netflix works fine and the set is up to date.
post #13524 of 14082 Old 06-28-2016, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl001 View Post
Help! One of my Samsung apps (HBO) keeps going into screensaver mode, like I'm not watching anything. This never happened before. I added a PS4 (hooked up throught the same Denon amp I've always had) a few months ago, but the only thing I did recently was reset the Smart Hub because Hulu stopped working. I haven't seen the screen saver come up on other apps, or when using the PS4, Roku, etc. which are all hooked up through the amp. Do I need to change a setting on the TV? Is anyone else having this issue, or had it before? I know I can turn the screensaver off, I'm looking for actual solutions not cures for symptoms. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiteclub View Post
Yes, I am having this issue too with HBO GO. Have you had any insights into the problem? I have not changed anything with my system in a long time. On firmware version 1209.
Did you guys ever figure out how to fix this? Mine has been going on for months, finally updated the firmware, still have the same problem. HBO pops up to screen saver per whatever time I have it set for. It's super annoying. I could turn the screen saver off, but then my wife and kids seem to endlessly pause the tv.
post #13525 of 14082 Old 06-28-2016, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nope. Super frustrating and I have been keeping everything up to date.
post #13526 of 14082 Old 06-28-2016, 01:54 PM

Have you guys tried doing a total reset to the display?
post #13527 of 14082 Old 06-30-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Have you guys tried doing a total reset to the display?
No - I've been forced to reset the Smart Hub several times because Hulu stops working, and that has not worked. Is that just a shot in the dark or has it worked?
post #13528 of 14082 Old 06-30-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
No - I've been forced to reset the Smart Hub several times because Hulu stops working, and that has not worked. Is that just a shot in the dark or has it worked?
Shot in the dark. I quit using the Netflix and Amazon apps on the Samsung because I could access them through my Tivo and direct the signal through a calibrated input.
post #13529 of 14082 Old 06-30-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Shot in the dark. I quit using the Netflix and Amazon apps on the Samsung because I could access them through my Tivo and direct the signal through a calibrated input.
Can you see if you have the same issue? I'm really more shocked more people aren't reporting this, whether that's because they don't use it or can't reproduce it.
post #13530 of 14082 Old 06-30-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Can you see if you have the same issue? I'm really more shocked more people aren't reporting this, whether that's because they don't use it or can't reproduce it.
I'm down to Amazon now. Would that provide any useful information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page