Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 454 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1198Likes

post #13591 of 13723 Old 08-05-2016, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativecodder View Post
Disc came a day early. Running it for an hour now. Will run overnight if needed.

Curious to see if I get good results.
Run it for at least 3 hours. Keep us posted.

Panasonic Viera TC-P65ZT60 (Calibrated by Chad B)
Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo WiiU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13592 of 13723 Old 08-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
Run it for at least 3 hours. Keep us posted.
Ok. I started it at 2:50 Eastern time. I'll run it till at least 6 p.m. Then overnight as needed.

I have a feeling it may take a few overnight cycles.....
post #13593 of 13723 Old 08-05-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Ok. I started it at 2:50 Eastern time. I'll run it till at least 6 p.m. Then overnight as needed.

Yeah it might take a few overnight tries to really cleanse the screen. I really hope it works!

Panasonic Viera TC-P65ZT60 (Calibrated by Chad B)
Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo WiiU
post #13594 of 13723 Old 08-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Since your issues seem to mirror mine, I'll be interested to see how it works. Before I shell out 40 bucks, I'd like to know if it might work. For both our sakes, I hope it does.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #13595 of 13723 Old 08-05-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
Since your issues seem to mirror mine, I'll be interested to see how it works. Before I shell out 40 bucks, I'd like to know if it might work. For both our sakes, I hope it does.
After 3 hours and 15 minutes, no change.

I'll run it overnight a couple of times, but not feeling overly confident at this point.
post #13596 of 13723 Old 08-06-2016, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I have been watching Game of Thrones (HBO Go) and I noticed that it has a real soap opera effect. I have never really calibrated my TV other than following some initial settings when I got the TV 2 years ago.

Is there is general suggested settings, any idea why it would have this feel when watching GoT?

I do have the WOW disc, but I have not used it much. I think I want to start at square one with settings. My set-up is pretty simple I think.

TiVo Bolt
Xbox One
Roku 4

AVR: Denon X2100W

Thanks for the help!
Pat
post #13597 of 13723 Old 08-06-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParityBit View Post
So I have been watching Game of Thrones (HBO Go) and I noticed that it has a real soap opera effect. I have never really calibrated my TV other than following some initial settings when I got the TV 2 years ago.

Is there is general suggested settings, any idea why it would have this feel when watching GoT?

I do have the WOW disc, but I have not used it much. I think I want to start at square one with settings. My set-up is pretty simple I think.

TiVo Bolt
Xbox One
Roku 4

AVR: Denon X2100W

Thanks for the help!
Pat
Go into settings and turn off all of the stupid motion settings. All of that motion stuff needs to be turned off.
post #13598 of 13723 Old 08-06-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb

Quote:
After 3 hours and 15 minutes, no change.

I'll run it overnight a couple of times, but not feeling overly confident at this point.
Quote:
I would not give up hope, I'd say the WOW pixel flipper is a sure way to fix even the most stubborn IR. I have an Xbox one hooked up to my 51F8500 and the Xbox dashboard used to have a bright white logo (kryptonite for burn in) and after about 6-8 month it got burned pretty badly just from it being in the same exact spot when ever navigating the dashboard. I also game quite avidly probably equally as much as I enjoy watching blu Ray movies (a whole lot). So ive had more than a game or twos HUD burned in quite badly. I'm talking bright white burn in on both upper corners and lower left corner which would show terribly on low contrast and very bright backgrounds. Anyways thanks to the WOW disc I now very happily binge watch on my completely consistent and uniform PN51F8500 just run that pixel flipper as often as the opportunity presents itself. Dont expect any overnight recovery but if you can run it at least a couple times a day you should see it begin to fade nicely within a week or two and it should be back to normal a couple weeks after that. Short of using the set as a PC monitor for prolonged periods the wow disc should solve your problems nicely, this panel is INCREDIBLY burn in resistant. Also this probably goes without saying but I suggest contrast either maxed or considerably higher than normal viewing levels, brightness and cell up a couple clicks wouldn't hurt as well, this will help expedite the process.Best of luck
post #13599 of 13723 Old 08-06-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor117 View Post
I would not give up hope, I'd say the WOW pixel flipper is a sure way to fix even the most stubborn IR. I have an Xbox one hooked up to my 51F8500 and the Xbox dashboard used to have a bright white logo (kryptonite for burn in) and after about 6-8 month it got burned pretty badly just from it being in the same exact spot when ever navigating the dashboard. I also game quite avidly probably equally as much as I enjoy watching blu Ray movies (a whole lot). So ive had more than a game or twos HUD burned in quite badly. I'm talking bright white burn in on both upper corners and lower left corner which would show terribly on low contrast and very bright backgrounds. Anyways thanks to the WOW disc I now very happily binge watch on my completely consistent and uniform PN51F8500 just run that pixel flipper as often as the opportunity presents itself. Dont expect any overnight recovery but if you can run it at least a couple times a day you should see it begin to fade nicely within a week or two and it should be back to normal a couple weeks after that. Short of using the set as a PC monitor for prolonged periods the wow disc should solve your problems nicely, this panel is INCREDIBLY burn in resistant. Also this probably goes without saying but I suggest contrast either maxed or considerably higher than normal viewing levels, brightness and cell up a couple clicks wouldn't hurt as well, this will help expedite the process.Best of luck
Ok thanks for the info.

My TV was ISF calibrated and is locked in the cal-day mode. I can still switch modes. Perhaps I'll try dynamic, turning the contrast all the way up, and running the pixel flipper. Then I'll put it back into the cal-day mode when watching normal tv or movies. See how it goes.
post #13600 of 13723 Old 08-06-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
Go into settings and turn off all of the stupid motion settings. All of that motion stuff needs to be turned off.
It looks like I had done that. At least from what I can tell. Black level and all that.
post #13601 of 13723 Old 08-07-2016, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
It looks like I had done that. At least from what I can tell. Black level and all that.
You dont need to adjust the black level (low is correct setting for all film/video content. For SOE you just need to turn off MJC( motion judder canceller). If watching blu Ray then turn film mode on. This will eliminate any artificial motion.
post #13602 of 13723 Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor117 View Post
You dont need to adjust the black level (low is correct setting for all film/video content. For SOE you just need to turn off MJC( motion judder canceller). If watching blu Ray then turn film mode on. This will eliminate any artificial motion.
Are you referring to HDMI Black Level? That setting may be Normal or Low depending on the source. A PC or BluRay putting out full RGB 0-255 requires Normal, if your cable box outputs 16-235 then it requires the Low setting.

If you choose Low when it should be Normal shadow detail is totally crushed and your white detail is blown out. If you choose Normal when it should be Low the black level will be very grayish/hazy and peak white limited.
post #13603 of 13723 Old 08-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info.

My TV was ISF calibrated and is locked in the cal-day mode. I can still switch modes. Perhaps I'll try dynamic, turning the contrast all the way up, and running the pixel flipper. Then I'll put it back into the cal-day mode when watching normal tv or movies. See how it goes.
I game on full contrast and cell light with no IR problems. All you have to do is run a pixel flipper video for an hour or so on Dynamic and boom, you're good to go. Crosshairs, HUD elements, widescreen bar shadows, don't stand a chance after a couple hours. I run it before going to bed and turn the sleep timer on. That way I'm not losing any screen time to taking care of IR.
post #13604 of 13723 Old 08-07-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post
I game on full contrast and cell light with no IR problems. All you have to do is run a pixel flipper video for an hour or so on Dynamic and boom, you're good to go. Crosshairs, HUD elements, widescreen bar shadows, don't stand a chance after a couple hours. I run it before going to bed and turn the sleep timer on. That way I'm not losing any screen time to taking care of IR.
So far I've run the Wow disc for close to 30 hours on Dynamic and see no positive changes, just the same as ever.

I'll give it a week, but not feeling too optimistic at this point. I even have watched different full screen channels at various times for over an hour. I turn the cal-day mode back on when watching TV or blu-rays. When I run Wow disc, the dynamic mode gets turned back on.
post #13605 of 13723 Old 08-07-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to HDMI Black Level? That setting may be Normal or Low depending on the source. A PC or BluRay putting out full RGB 0-255 requires Normal, if your cable box outputs 16-235 then it requires the Low setting.

If you choose Low when it should be Normal shadow detail is totally crushed and your white detail is blown out. If you choose Normal when it should be Low the black level will be very grayish/hazy and peak white limited.
I do not really use BluRay. I mainly use Cable (FIOS) and HBO Go, VUDU. Then there are sports (A lot) and Gaming (XboX One/PS4)

Do you have a post number for your setting suggestions?

When my wife notices Soap Opera effects, it is really time for me to do something!
post #13606 of 13723 Old 08-09-2016, 07:44 AM

What a joke.... I had contacted Best Buy about a replacement TV since I had a 5-year replacement plan. They came up with this tv.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-cl...&skuId=5033601

They just told me today what they would offer. This isn't even close to the picture quality of my plasma. At least offer something from Magnolia as I got this plasma from there.

Pass and I'll deal with the burn-in.

I'll keep running the WOW disc for the week, but I think the burn-in his here to stay.
davelrcenter likes this.
post #13607 of 13723 Old 08-09-2016, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
What a joke.... I had contacted Best Buy about a replacement TV since I had a 5-year replacement plan. They came up with this tv.

They just told me today what they would offer. This isn't even close to the picture quality of my plasma. At least offer something from Magnolia as I got this plasma from there.

I'll keep running the WOW disc for the week, but I think the burn-in his here to stay.
Took my IR 3 months to go away which included me not watching the channel that caused the IR and using the built in scrolling feature a lot. If you can avoid the culprit, I'd bet it would go away in a month or so.
post #13608 of 13723 Old 08-09-2016, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 28
How do you know if your HDMI board has gone out? All my smart features work, on cable using DTV threw my SR7008 I get sound but no picture. Tryed my Apple TV threw my sr7008 same thing sound no picture. Tryed plugging into HDMI 2 on the F8500 and the tv didn't regonize the input.
post #13609 of 13723 Old 08-09-2016, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler webb View Post
How do you know if your HDMI board has gone out? All my smart features work, on cable using DTV threw my SR7008 I get sound but no picture. Tryed my Apple TV threw my sr7008 same thing sound no picture. Tryed plugging into HDMI 2 on the F8500 and the tv didn't regonize the input.
Did you try a different HDMI cable and input on the TV?

When diagnosing, its best to leave your receiver out of the signal chain.
post #13610 of 13723 Old 08-10-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Is that the same screen size as your 8500? What about using that offer toward a better set? I know that, on principle, we should get a comparable set, but if I could at least get a substantial credit toward one, I might consider it. I had a preliminary discussion with my Magnolia rep, and he indicated that is an option.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #13611 of 13723 Old 08-10-2016, 08:32 AM
V42

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler webb View Post

Try unplugging the set from the wall power outlet for a few minutes and then reconnect. I've had similar problems that got cleared up this way. I believe it's because of an HDMI handshake issue that gets reset by this procedure.
post #13612 of 13723 Old 08-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
So far I've run the Wow disc for close to 30 hours on Dynamic and see no positive changes, just the same as ever.

I'll give it a week, but not feeling too optimistic at this point. I even have watched different full screen channels at various times for over an hour. I turn the cal-day mode back on when watching TV or blu-rays. When I run Wow disc, the dynamic mode gets turned back on.
Wasting electricity and more importantly, stressing the electronics running on Dynamic for hours upon hours IMHO.

Just watch the TV normally, it takes time, like how your TV developed the problem in the 1st place.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
GE Supercinema 3D Array X
Paradigm Millenia CT

Last edited by hpp8140; 08-10-2016 at 10:16 AM.
post #13613 of 13723 Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Is that the same screen size as your 8500? What about using that offer toward a better set? I know that, on principle, we should get a comparable set, but if I could at least get a substantial credit toward one, I might consider it. I had a preliminary discussion with my Magnolia rep, and he indicated that is an option.

The LG was a 55" where as mine is 51"

I went in to Best Buy yesterday just to see what it was. When I was telling the Magnolia rep, he said the LG wasn't even close. He said there was a Sony that had the best blacks of any of the LED's. He thought I should talk with the Geek Squad manager about this as a replacement. He also said didn't I recently purchase a 5.1.2 sound system from them? He felt they may do something else since I've spent quite a bit there.

http://bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-clas...&skuId=4803401

I'm kind of debating which way I'll go with it.
post #13614 of 13723 Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
The LG was a 55" where as mine is 51"

I went in to Best Buy yesterday just to see what it was. When I was telling the Magnolia rep, he said the LG wasn't even close. He said there was a Sony that had the best blacks of any of the LED's. He thought I should talk with the Geek Squad manager about this as a replacement. He also said didn't I recently purchase a 5.1.2 sound system from them? He felt they may do something else since I've spent quite a bit there.

http://bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-clas...&skuId=4803401

I'm kind of debating which way I'll go with it.
I had a Sony SXRD RPTV before my 8500, and I liked it a lot at the time. Of course, the 8500 blows it away, as it does most LCDs, but I've been lurking around the LCD and OLED threads for a while because of my burn-in issues. If I decided to go LCD, I'd definitely lean toward a Sony because I think they tend to handle motion better than others.

Any luck so far with your WOW disc? I think that those who have recommended time + avoiding the offending channels might be on the right track.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
post #13615 of 13723 Old 08-10-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I had a Sony SXRD RPTV before my 8500, and I liked it a lot at the time. Of course, the 8500 blows it away, as it does most LCDs, but I've been lurking around the LCD and OLED threads for a while because of my burn-in issues. If I decided to go LCD, I'd definitely lean toward a Sony because I think they tend to handle motion better than others.

Any luck so far with your WOW disc? I think that those who have recommended time + avoiding the offending channels might be on the right track.
No change yet. I've taken a couple of photos that I can post here.

I've been avoiding those channels since this weekend.

I'm not quite at the point of saying forget it just incase it does work, but even the Magnolia rep said it may be too far gone. He was familiar with the WOW disc, and said I could think about it.

Funny thing is whoever called yesterday (not my local store) and told me about the LG called again today. I said today I wasn't taking it (the LG) and had spoken with with a Magnolia rep about a Sony. They wanted the SKU number so they could look at it, but I said I was still pondering my next move. They said they will follow-up or I can close the case. I'm sort of waiting to see if I see any difference by the end of next week. Then it will be 2 full weeks for the slightest hint of improvement.
post #13616 of 13723 Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

I had a health bar and ammo indicator from a video game burned into my 51" F8500 and it literally took almost a year for it to fully come out of the screen. Depending on how much it's in there it may take a long time to clear up but it eventually will. I never noticed it unless it was on a solid white screen so it never bothered normal viewing.

I've had my 55" Samsung F8000 LED next to my 51" F8500 all summer and I can honestly say that high end LEDs like the Sony's 930D is definitely a valid contender to the F8500's PQ (as long as you're dead center viewing angle) especially since the 930D is 4K HDR. So if the IR is that experience breaking then you definitely have options that will leave you satisfied.
post #13617 of 13723 Old 08-10-2016, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I do not really use BluRay. I mainly use Cable (FIOS) and HBO Go, VUDU. Then there are sports (A lot) and Gaming (XboX One/PS4)

Do you have a post number for your setting suggestions?

When my wife notices Soap Opera effects, it is really time for me to do something!
I'm not sure if I ever posted my F8500 settings here. My 51" F8500 was manufactured in 2014 which basically comes perfect D6500K grayscale calibrated out of the box compared to the units manufactured in 2013 so I never really was compelled to make that many settings changes.

I'd double check that the Motion Judder Canceller setting in the Picture Options is turned Off. This will cause the dreaded soap opera effect even on Standard. I know the Film Mode can also cause changes to the black level response when engaging it as it raises the black level above the panel's deepest native black. You'll know the Film Mode is causing issues when pure black still has some dithering present. If it's off, which it will be for most sources except your BluRay, then you should be fine.
post #13618 of 13723 Old 08-10-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I had a health bar and ammo indicator from a video game burned into my 51" F8500 and it literally took almost a year for it to fully come out of the screen. Depending on how much it's in there it may take a long time to clear up but it eventually will. I never noticed it unless it was on a solid white screen so it never bothered normal viewing.

I've had my 55" Samsung F8000 LED next to my 51" F8500 all summer and I can honestly say that high end LEDs like the Sony's 930D is definitely a valid contender to the F8500's PQ (as long as you're dead center viewing angle) especially since the 930D is 4K HDR. So if the IR is that experience breaking then you definitely have options that will leave you satisfied.
I'm not quite certain but it looks as if the IR may be little lighter than it was last week. Sometimes it looks like it has begun to fade some, while at other times it doesn't. The majority of the time you don't see it unless it's on a lighter screen.

My original goal before all this started was to move the plasma into my bedroom in a couple of years, put my 32" LED in the other bedroom, and get a 65" OLED (or whatever the equivalent is) where the plasma is now. I recently purchased a 5.1.2 home theater system.

Unless something really unforeseen happens, I'm probably going to stick it out with the plasma. The IR is at the bottom part of the screen so I have to keep looking down to see it. Really doesn't affect the overall picture of the TV. I wasn't even aware of it until last month.
post #13619 of 13723 Old 08-13-2016, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Someone mentioned earlier finding an F8500 demo unit still in a store, but I haven't been so lucky trying to find a replacement for my flood-damaged F8500. I didn't think I really would, though. Seems like it's RIP for my plasma owning days. Hello LCD, goodbye screen uniformity...
post #13620 of 13723 Old 08-13-2016, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 516
You might want to start following the Sony Z9D threads if you haven't already been doing that. Sounds like it might be a game changer.

Its tempted to offer you my 64F8500 but I'm making myself wait 3 years between display changes. That puts me at Feb of next year. My plan a few years ago was to wait 7 years. How foolish was I? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread