Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 457 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 1198Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13681 of 13723 Old 08-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Member
 
nativecodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Man that's too bad on the plasma, you will for the most be happy with hdr...be prepared to get sun glasses though!!!
I was initially thinking of getting an OLED in a couple of years, but read even those can get burn-in so it kind of turned me off for now.

The manger I dealt with use to be a Magnolia department head and had worked his way up to manager of the store so he was familiar with the plasma. He even admitted some of their OLED's had logo burn-in and was avoiding them himself for the time being.

Before I pulled the trigger I went into a local independent Audio/Video store to look at the Sony and get a different opinion. He didn't know I had a Geek Squad protection plan as I didn't mention it, but during the discussion he voiced concerns with the OLED's even though he hadn't seen burn-in on the demo he had there. His opinion was why wasn't Sony or Samsung doing an OLED and was sort of waiting to see if they came out with something. His store sold LG's, Samsung's and Sony's and seemed to prefer the Sony brand.

They both said the blacks and contrasts may not be as good as plasma or OLED, but of all the LED's out there, it was the closest they've seen to plasma picture quality.
nativecodder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13682 of 13723 Old 08-31-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativecodder View Post
I was initially thinking of getting an OLED in a couple of years, but read even those can get burn-in so it kind of turned me off for now.

The manger I dealt with use to be a Magnolia department head and had worked his way up to manager of the store so he was familiar with the plasma. He even admitted some of their OLED's had logo burn-in and was avoiding them himself for the time being.

Before I pulled the trigger I went into a local independent Audio/Video store to look at the Sony and get a different opinion. He didn't know I had a Geek Squad protection plan as I didn't mention it, but during the discussion he voiced concerns with the OLED's even though he hadn't seen burn-in on the demo he had there. His opinion was why wasn't Sony or Samsung doing an OLED and was sort of waiting to see if they came out with something. His store sold LG's, Samsung's and Sony's and seemed to prefer the Sony brand.

They both said the blacks and contrasts may not be as good as plasma or OLED, but of all the LED's out there, it was the closest they've seen to plasma picture quality.
As far as burn in, it's not a concern unless you never power down the set. OLED's run compensation cycles, kinda like a screen wipe that actually works. For the 2016 oled the cycle runs after 4 hours of use. Plenty of gamers who own OLED's that have no BI. However you can't go wrong with your choice.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #13683 of 13723 Old 08-31-2016, 08:11 PM
Member
 
nativecodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
As far as burn in, it's not a concern unless you never power down the set. OLED's run compensation cycles, kinda like a screen wipe that actually works. For the 2016 oled the cycle runs after 4 hours of use. Plenty of gamers who own OLED's that have no BI. However you can't go wrong with your choice.
I'm sure I'll revisit the OLED's in a couple of years.

Was disappointed with what happened with my plasma as I really liked the picture quality. Both the Best Buy and the independent rep I told about the burn-in was surprised that it happened on a 2014 model. The older ones from years ago yes, but for this particular one they seemed puzzled by it.

At least we can move on now and look forward to watching again. My wife was getting tired of my yammering.
nativecodder is offline  
post #13684 of 13723 Old 08-31-2016, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativecodder View Post
I'm sure I'll revisit the OLED's in a couple of years.

Was disappointed with what happened with my plasma as I really liked the picture quality. Both the Best Buy and the independent rep I told about the burn-in was surprised that it happened on a 2014 model. The older ones from years ago yes, but for this particular one they seemed puzzled by it.

At least we can move on now and look forward to watching again. My wife was getting tired of my yammering.
My wife does too lol...she's tried to hide remotes on me a few times!
Cam1977 is online now  
post #13685 of 13723 Old 09-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
paligap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
As far as burn in, it's not a concern unless you never power down the set. OLED's run compensation cycles, kinda like a screen wipe that actually works. For the 2016 oled the cycle runs after 4 hours of use. Plenty of gamers who own OLED's that have no BI. However you can't go wrong with your choice.
You might be right, but I remember being told the same thing about the F8500 when I bought it. I also ended up with some burn-in, even though I never game and I watch a variety of material. Once burned-in, twice shy.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
paligap is offline  
post #13686 of 13723 Old 09-01-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bmcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Burn-in issues are again raised and sure enough two nights ago night i paused a program and fell asleep in the chair. After awakening 4-5 hours later the same image was on the screen, unusual because WMC initiates a slide show or the F8500 goes dark after a period of inactivity. It was the longest period a static image was on the screen in approx. 2 years of enjoying the F8500. Last night to my amazement watched without any IR or BI; go figure. The cell light is set to 15, perhaps that's a factor.
bmcn is offline  
post #13687 of 13723 Old 09-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Member
 
nativecodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
You might be right, but I remember being told the same thing about the F8500 when I bought it. I also ended up with some burn-in, even though I never game and I watch a variety of material. Once burned-in, twice shy.
Exactly how I feel.
nativecodder is offline  
post #13688 of 13723 Old 09-01-2016, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
You might be right, but I remember being told the same thing about the F8500 when I bought it. I also ended up with some burn-in, even though I never game and I watch a variety of material. Once burned-in, twice shy.
Yeah but the f8500 didn't have a comp cycle...trust me when I say it works, watch plenty of sports, letterbox movies, no issue whatsoever.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #13689 of 13723 Old 09-02-2016, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
hpp8140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Yeah but the f8500 didn't have a comp cycle...trust me when I say it works, watch plenty of sports, letterbox movies, no issue whatsoever.
Your TV is new, only time will tell.

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
GE Supercinema 3D Array X
Paradigm Millenia CT
hpp8140 is offline  
post #13690 of 13723 Old 09-02-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
Your TV is new, only time will tell.
Well for those that are not sure...try going to the oled threads and you will see that bi/ir is not a concern with these. As far as my TV being new has nothing to do with comp cycles and how they work.

Last edited by Cam1977; 09-02-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #13691 of 13723 Old 09-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
hpp8140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Well for those that are not sure...try going to the oled threads and you will see that bi/ir is not a concern with these.
Good to hear. How about uneven aging from watching 4:3 & widescreen?

LN55C630
PN64F8500
Definitive SSA-50
GE Supercinema 3D Array X
Paradigm Millenia CT
hpp8140 is offline  
post #13692 of 13723 Old 09-02-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Watching letterbox content is a non issue, no unevenness whatsoever...a problem that I unfortunately have with my f8500. as far as 4:3 I always use the zoom function.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #13693 of 13723 Old 09-03-2016, 06:38 PM
Member
 
zaockle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just got a Panasonic DMP-UB900, and let me say, this thing rocks in tandem with my 51" F8500. The HDR to SDR conversion works amazingly. It's obviously not the genuine thing, but it gets me as close as possible without having to upgrade to a UHD display. If anyone has been on the edge, I say go for it and pop in the UHD version of Mad Max FR.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung TW-J5500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Custom W7 HTPC running MPC-HC w/ LAV+madVR
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 650
zaockle is offline  
post #13694 of 13723 Old 09-08-2016, 07:10 AM
Newbie
 
samrosenb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking About Buying Used (3 year old) F8500

Has anyone who has owned their set for the last three years had any issues? My 50 inch PN50C6500 that I bought in 2011 developed three or four dead lines of pixels a few months ago and I'd hate to buy another set and see the same thing happen.

But I love plasmas and would rather get another great Samsung set than jump to OLED which is still in its infancy.

Thanks!
samrosenb is offline  
post #13695 of 13723 Old 09-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaockle View Post
Just got a Panasonic DMP-UB900, and let me say, this thing rocks in tandem with my 51" F8500. The HDR to SDR conversion works amazingly. It's obviously not the genuine thing, but it gets me as close as possible without having to upgrade to a UHD display. If anyone has been on the edge, I say go for it and pop in the UHD version of Mad Max FR.


Sounds cool.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davelrcenter is offline  
post #13696 of 13723 Old 09-09-2016, 01:58 AM
Member
 
jnpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativecodder View Post
I was initially thinking of getting an OLED in a couple of years, but read even those can get burn-in so it kind of turned me off for now.

The manger I dealt with use to be a Magnolia department head and had worked his way up to manager of the store so he was familiar with the plasma. He even admitted some of their OLED's had logo burn-in and was avoiding them himself for the time being.

Before I pulled the trigger I went into a local independent Audio/Video store to look at the Sony and get a different opinion. He didn't know I had a Geek Squad protection plan as I didn't mention it, but during the discussion he voiced concerns with the OLED's even though he hadn't seen burn-in on the demo he had there. His opinion was why wasn't Sony or Samsung doing an OLED and was sort of waiting to see if they came out with something. His store sold LG's, Samsung's and Sony's and seemed to prefer the Sony brand.

They both said the blacks and contrasts may not be as good as plasma or OLED, but of all the LED's out there, it was the closest they've seen to plasma picture quality.
Samsung has stated they aren't going OLED, as they use a technology called quantum dot. Though in my opinion, OLED has the better overall contrast, and perfect off angle viewing. Samsung panels using quantum dot technology also have excellent contrast. If I personally was in the market for a set to replace my F8500, I would go OLED. The simple reason being that though Sony (top model with fully array local dimming) would be my choice for an LED backlit set, the off angle viewing is still a problem. If I wanted excellent off angle viewing, I would sacrifice and get an LG IPS panel, but the contrast wouldn't be as good as a Sony. Sony does offer the most natural looking picture, while Samsung just has a overly bright display with what appears to me looks a bit cartoonish.

It's a tough choice, but in short, the only thing to me that is comparable to both my plasmas (58C8000 and 64F8500) is an OLED. Again, this is just my personal opinion.
jnpr is offline  
post #13697 of 13723 Old 09-10-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,018
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by samrosenb View Post
Has anyone who has owned their set for the last three years had any issues? My 50 inch PN50C6500 that I bought in 2011 developed three or four dead lines of pixels a few months ago and I'd hate to buy another set and see the same thing happen.

But I love plasmas and would rather get another great Samsung set than jump to OLED which is still in its infancy.

Thanks!
had mine since may 2013 without any serious issues. from day one, the 'software' will occasionally freeze up(if i'm calibrating and in the menus a lot, it happens more often) and a quick power cycle is the most i've ever had to do.

but things happen to all models of all brands. there are no guarantees with used displays, ever

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #13698 of 13723 Old 09-10-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 5,678
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Bad Y board on my 64", got a full refund thanks to Geek Squad and bought an LG 65EF9500 OLED with which I'm completely thrilled.
kucharsk is offline  
post #13699 of 13723 Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Well for those that are not sure...try going to the oled threads and you will see that bi/ir is not a concern with these. As far as my TV being new has nothing to do with comp cycles and how they work.
It's really too bad no manufacturer ever added compensation cycles to Plasma, they would have really benefited from it.
Vader1 is online now  
post #13700 of 13723 Old 09-13-2016, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
It's really too bad no manufacturer ever added compensation cycles to Plasma, they would have really benefited from it.
True...wouldn't that have been something...funny if it weren't for horizontal lines although faint, from watching letterbox box movies I might not have been so quick to upgrade to oled.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #13701 of 13723 Old 09-13-2016, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Returned from vacation this past Friday.

Turned 64F8500 on and on some mostly white screens, there was a rolling of the brightness. Hard to explain. Looks like my power supply might be having problems. After warming up, it stopped.

Anyone seen this before?

I'm not complaining as I'm itching to upgrade and hope the squaretrade warranty helps out.
Hopefully it was a glitch...I too have squaretrade on this...but have heard some horror stories recently regarding their warranty, and what they deem is fair replacement.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #13702 of 13723 Old 09-14-2016, 01:42 AM
Member
 
frankly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Eindhoven de gekste
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Samsung PS51F8500, their 'flagship' TV, bought it in october for 1700 euro and since than on my wall. I was very pleased about the picture. But in november 2013 I got an issue 'red colouration', small smears of red on parts of the image. Samsung send a repair company, they aknowleged seeing the red, took it to their shop, but came back with the message that the panel met technical specs and could not fix it. Somebody pointed me to an ISF calibration, after that was done by a certified company the perfetct picture was back, more or less. Six months later the problem is back along with jagged and coloured edges (see image with Oppp logo). Samsung stated because I had my TV calibrated my guaranty was gone?? after some mails they backed off and send the repair company. On october 2nd they see the problem 'better' and I get a complete new panel. October 2014, my TV goes black, the repair company comes around again and findes a shortcirquit. A new power supply unit is installed and I go back to enjoing my TV. Marc 2015 I get an ugly pixelstripe from top to bottom in my image (first strip in right corner). He there is the repair company again, and the install my third panel. This time Samsung informs me that I only get 3 months of guaranty... But my beautifull image is back, so who cares... September 2016, no!!! yes, another pixel stripe from top to bottom. I call Samsung they call the repair company that askes me to pre pay 32 euro's to make a quote for the repairs. I pay them, answer; sorry but that can not be fixed, there are no more panels... So I call Samsung, send them a tweet, post on their dutch facebook page. No answer. I ask them to reply or maybe search for a panel in the rest of Europe, but no reply... As of this morning the pixel stripe has doubled... (blue screen picture)
Anybody a simular experience with Samsung? Or a suggestion to get their attention?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140120_001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1660057   Click image for larger version

Name:	streep.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1660065   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160914_02_05_54_Pro.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1660073  

Samsung 51F8500 - Dreambox 7020HD - Onkyo NR TX818 - OPPO 93 - PS3 - EPSON 5910 - KEF 2005 (5.1) QNAP 4 x 2TB
frankly is offline  
post #13703 of 13723 Old 09-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kazan, Russian Federation
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly View Post
Marc 2015 I get an ugly pixelstripe from top to bottom in my image (first strip in right corner). He there is the repair company again, and the install my third panel. This time Samsung informs me that I only get 3 months of guaranty... But my beautifull image is back, so who cares... September 2016, no!!! yes, another pixel stripe from top to bottom. I call Samsung they call the repair company that askes me to pre pay 32 euro's to make a quote for the repairs. I pay them, answer; sorry but that can not be fixed, there are no more panels... So I call Samsung, send them a tweet, post on their dutch facebook page. No answer. I ask them to reply or maybe search for a panel in the rest of Europe, but no reply... As of this morning the pixel stripe has doubled... (blue screen picture)
Anybody a simular experience with Samsung? Or a suggestion to get their attention?
mine ps51f8500 got its first vertical line back in june. few weeks later another one. now I have about dozen of vertical lines on the left side of panel. I tried to order replacement panel but after few weeks of hopeful expectations only got the answer that they couldn't allocate one so I ended up buying DEXP U58B9900H (locally branded Hisense K700) yesterday and waiting for its shipment at saturday. if it's ok f8500 will spend the rest of its days in children's room. apparently the problem is quite common with samsung pdp and shame on their quality ruining otherwise beautiful experience with wonderful picture
davelrcenter likes this.
vavan is online now  
post #13704 of 13723 Old 09-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Member
 
baltik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My 51" F8500 has performed perfectly fr the last 2 years when last week it just turned itself off mid show... I went to power it on via the remote, nothing then went to the physical on button still nothing, tested the socket - works perfect, the TV came back on after a while. This issue seems to be happening more and more often, I checked the sleep timer - not that, any other ideas?
baltik is offline  
post #13705 of 13723 Old 09-15-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 17,472
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
My 51" F8500 has performed perfectly fr the last 2 years when last week it just turned itself off mid show... I went to power it on via the remote, nothing then went to the physical on button still nothing, tested the socket - works perfect, the TV came back on after a while. This issue seems to be happening more and more often, I checked the sleep timer - not that, any other ideas?
Does the red light on the front come back on and if it does, what's the blinking pattern and number of blinks.
JimP is offline  
post #13706 of 13723 Old 09-16-2016, 03:44 AM
Newbie
 
tomsag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
My 51" F8500 has performed perfectly fr the last 2 years when last week it just turned itself off mid show... I went to power it on via the remote, nothing then went to the physical on button still nothing, tested the socket - works perfect, the TV came back on after a while. This issue seems to be happening more and more often, I checked the sleep timer - not that, any other ideas?
Had the same problem for several months and than I decided to install ventilators on the back,
and now I'm happy since the TV runs cooler and the Caps are still functioning.

You have a very nice post here which explains everything: http://andthatsjazz.org/coolf8500.html
vavan and bmcn like this.
tomsag is offline  
post #13707 of 13723 Old 09-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Member
 
baltik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No Red light - in fact no light whatsoever, set is completely dead...

Tomsag - the overheating angle is an interesting one, was your TV exhibiting the exact same symptoms and was completely resolved with the addition of fans?
baltik is offline  
post #13708 of 13723 Old 09-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Member
 
Dan0780's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you read through this thread yet? Similar issue that many have been having. I fixed a friend of mine's tv using this method. 3 capacitors for $3. Pretty crazy.

Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA Issues with turning on
Dan0780 is offline  
post #13709 of 13723 Old 09-18-2016, 02:10 AM
Newbie
 
tomsag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
No Red light - in fact no light whatsoever, set is completely dead...

Tomsag - the overheating angle is an interesting one, was your TV exhibiting the exact same symptoms and was completely resolved with the addition of fans?
Yes, I was quite worried when these symptoms arrived. Then I have put the cell light down to 8 and started monitoring the temperature on the rear of the TV.
After some reading about capacitor problems I came to the idea just to put the ventilators and see what will
happen.
It seems that the caps are not faulty, but only loosing capacitance when hot.
Since about a month there is no problem with turning a warm (hot) TV set on.
Vents make a huge difference on back panel temperature. You may try with an ordinary household cooling ventilator first (as I did). PF8500 will be happy
tomsag is offline  
post #13710 of 13723 Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 AM
Newbie
 
adthom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcobramatt1 View Post
Thought I would bump this thread after owning my 8500 for over a year now. I guess I am lucky but have experienced no issues (burn in, missing pixels, etc) knock on wood. I did add a Samsung 55" 9000 series to my bedroom and am considering selling the 65" now lol. The picture on the 9000 suits my blu rays better, but the ginormous plasma still sits in my home theater room.


Is there a market for a slightly used 8500? I'm in far Western Ky if anyone would be interested. I think I am going to make the jump to a 65" OLED.
Where in Western KY? I'm NE of Louisville. I'd be interested if the price was right. How many hours are on your set?
adthom1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off