Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 459 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1254Likes

post #13741 of 14062 Old 10-11-2016, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
How technical are you.....meaning would you be ok taking it apart to replace a circuit board? If so, go back and read the last few pages where board replacement is discussed.
Yes, pretty tech-savvy, but honestly don't know the first thing about repairing TV's. I'd be willing to give it a shot though because I love this thing, spent my first big chunk of savings on it so disappointed it's already having problems. Shame!

NOTE: Just went to turn it on this morning...immediately shut it off when I realized the red light flashed again...immediately after doing that I clicked it back on...and viola...picture came on and is staying on! So whatever is wrong seems to be with initial power and startup, it's definitely gotten worse (I use to be able to be able to get it on after a few tries, now its taking hours), but it still seems possible to get it on. Also, for those out there that know these TV's and can maybe give me some insight...it makes this electronic hiss during power-up and power-off. It almost sounds like a locust bug if you know that sound. Don't know if this is any indication of the part that's failing here or if its just how the TV normally sounds, but figured I'd throw it out there...

ANY ADVICE or CLUE as to what this may be!?

Here's the LED flashing I'm receiving:

Last edited by TheStixter; 10-11-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13742 of 14062 Old 10-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStixter View Post
Well...I guess I'm not the only one...

New here...and guess what...

After about 6 months of dealing with power issues with the F8500 (typically would turn on after a few power on's and off's)...it's finally showing no picture or any signs of wanting to corporate. Called Samsung today...no help...

Purchased in June of 2013 for $3500 so it's a little over 3 years old...

Love the thing...any advice would be appreciated...
Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA Issues with turning on

LN55C630, PN64F8500, Definitive SSA-50, GE Supercinema 3D Array X, Paradigm Millenia CT
post #13743 of 14062 Old 10-11-2016, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had an issue crop up recently with my 60" - I'll do my best to explain:

The red circle in the attached image shows what appear to be a cluster of dead pixels that have recently formed. What is much less visible is that there is a visible lighter semicircle around the cluster of dead pixels, which is very noticeable when light-colored scenes are on the TV (couldn't get it to display well in a photo). Flickering black dots within the lighter semicircle is the last observed issue.

What might be the issue here? Should I contact Samsung for repair? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1262.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	1710809  

post #13744 of 14062 Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcinder View Post
I've had an issue crop up recently with my 60" - I'll do my best to explain:

The red circle in the attached image shows what appear to be a cluster of dead pixels that have recently formed. What is much less visible is that there is a visible lighter semicircle around the cluster of dead pixels, which is very noticeable when light-colored scenes are on the TV (couldn't get it to display well in a photo). Flickering black dots within the lighter semicircle is the last observed issue.

What might be the issue here? Should I contact Samsung for repair? Thanks.
You can try, but probably no point contacting Samsung for repair, as it is past warranty and no parts.

I have seen this issue posted a while ago and is a panel problem. There are a few folks with dead TVs due to Y-board and maybe they have good panels for you.

LN55C630, PN64F8500, Definitive SSA-50, GE Supercinema 3D Array X, Paradigm Millenia CT
post #13745 of 14062 Old 10-12-2016, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
You can try, but probably no point contacting Samsung for repair, as it is past warranty and no parts.

I have seen this issue posted a while ago and is a panel problem. There are a few folks with dead TVs due to Y-board and maybe they have good panels for you.
Thanks for the reply - I sent them an email just to give it a try.

I also found some other posts from owners experiencing similar issues, as you'd mentioned - sounds like there was a defect with some of the panels manufactured in Mexico in 2014.

It's certainly annoying, but I suppose that I can live with it if I don't have a path forward with fixing it, other than buying a dead TV from someone with a Y-board issue, as you recommended; I suppose I'd do that and then have a technician swap out the panels afterward in that case.
post #13746 of 14062 Old 10-12-2016, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcinder View Post
Thanks for the reply - I sent them an email just to give it a try.

I also found some other posts from owners experiencing similar issues, as you'd mentioned - sounds like there was a defect with some of the panels manufactured in Mexico in 2014.

It's certainly annoying, but I suppose that I can live with it if I don't have a path forward with fixing it, other than buying a dead TV from someone with a Y-board issue, as you recommended; I suppose I'd do that and then have a technician swap out the panels afterward in that case.
Sorry, you got a bad batch.

Actually easier, if the rest of TV is cosmetically good and working, just swap out the Y-board.

post #13747 of 14062 Old 10-17-2016, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStixter View Post
Well...I guess I'm not the only one...

New here...and guess what...

After about 6 months of dealing with power issues with the F8500 (typically would turn on after a few power on's and off's)...it's finally showing no picture or any signs of wanting to corporate. Called Samsung today...no help...

Purchased in June of 2013 for $3500 so it's a little over 3 years old...

Love the thing...any advice would be appreciated...
My PN64F8500 is experiencing an issue that may or may not be the power issue I've read about here. The service technician determined that the problem is not the power going off, but just the picture. Like most of you, I use external speakers so it was easy to confuse the loss of picture with a power loss.

Technician says I will need to replace the panel. Of course the problem appeared 6 months after warranty expired (though not too late for my credit card's extended warranty insurance).

My question is could this be the same problem others have fixed without replacing the panel? Even if my extended warranty will pay, I worry if a replacement panel will be available since Samsung discontinued plasmas. And if so, will it be equivalent quality to original?
post #13748 of 14062 Old 10-23-2016, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abogarth View Post
My PN64F8500 is experiencing an issue that may or may not be the power issue I've read about here. The service technician determined that the problem is not the power going off, but just the picture. Like most of you, I use external speakers so it was easy to confuse the loss of picture with a power loss.

Technician says I will need to replace the panel. Of course the problem appeared 6 months after warranty expired (though not too late for my credit card's extended warranty insurance).

My question is could this be the same problem others have fixed without replacing the panel? Even if my extended warranty will pay, I worry if a replacement panel will be available since Samsung discontinued plasmas. And if so, will it be equivalent quality to original?
I mean, if the TV is not powering on at all and the power indicator on the front is not on at all, its likely a bad power board. If its getting power indication, but when you try to turn it on the power indicator blinks a few times then stays on, it could be main board/sustains/buffers. If it seems to power on normally, but you get no picture, its probably a panel issue. Replacement panel is very unlikely, so your warranty would probably just replace it with something different or pay you out (dont know how much, gonna have to haggle with them).

Home Theater: Samsung PN51F8500|Samsung TW-J5500|Panasonic DMP-UB900|Custom W10 HTPC running MPC-BE w/ LAV+madVR|Panamax M5400-PM|URC MX990 (WIP)

Gaming: Asus VG248QE|Custom W10 6700K+980Ti|J-Tech 5x1 HDMI switch|PS3 Original 60GB|PS Vita TV|Wii U|Schiit Jotunheim w/DAC|Sony MDRZ7 w/XLR4
post #13749 of 14062 Old 10-23-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaockle View Post
I mean, if the TV is not powering on at all and the power indicator on the front is not on at all, its likely a bad power board. If its getting power indication, but when you try to turn it on the power indicator blinks a few times then stays on, it could be main board/sustains/buffers. If it seems to power on normally, but you get no picture, its probably a panel issue. Replacement panel is very unlikely, so your warranty would probably just replace it with something different or pay you out (dont know how much, gonna have to haggle with them).
Thanks zaockle. The authorized service provider (Home Service Network) has not followed up and is not returning my phone calls. I guess they don't want the hassle of telling me new panels are not available. But without their cooperation, I doubt the warranty extension insurance provided by my credit card will pay out anything.

Usually power is on but picture is off. Sometimes I can just power off and back on and the picture returns. Sometimes the power either won't go off (or sometimes back on) right away. The power light blinks for a while. Eventually it will turn back on, but sometimes there is still no picture. After a while the picture stays on.

Last edited by Abogarth; 10-23-2016 at 09:20 PM.
post #13750 of 14062 Old 10-24-2016, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks zaockle. The authorized service provider (Home Service Network) has not followed up and is not returning my phone calls. I guess they don't want the hassle of telling me new panels are not available. But without their cooperation, I doubt the warranty extension insurance provided by my credit card will pay out anything.

Usually power is on but picture is off. Sometimes I can just power off and back on and the picture returns. Sometimes the power either won't go off (or sometimes back on) right away. The power light blinks for a while. Eventually it will turn back on, but sometimes there is still no picture. After a while the picture stays on.
Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA Issues with turning on

post #13751 of 14062 Old 10-24-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
Thanks. The technician called in to Samsung for help and was trying to find a set of three capacitors but said they were missing. Since my set was a late purchase after original supplies ran out, I thought perhaps Samsung made some changes or used some non-standard parts at the very end of production.

I haven't tried to find them myself, assuming he'd be back, but if I'm on my own I'll have to open it up myself.
post #13752 of 14062 Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 AM

I wrote to Samsung about the service provider's failure to follow-up and got a reply that said, in effect, "We understand that the service provider took your money for a diagnostic call and has not been returning your phone calls regarding the repair. We suggest you call the service provider." This prompted me to post about the situation on Samsung Service's Facebook page. To my surprise, I got a prompt reply from someone who escalated the case and the second level guy determined that the repair would be covered under warranty and contacted the service provider directly. The service provider called me the next morning and the repair is scheduled for next week. Fingers crossed.

My advice: If you have a problem with Samsung don't waste your time with phone calls, chats or emails. Contact them through Facebook.
hpp8140, Damien Inferno and vavan like this.
post #13753 of 14062 Old 10-30-2016, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung 60inch 8500 with the brand new Bose SoundTouch 300 soundbar with rear speakers. I am utilizing ARC and have DirecTV and Apple Tv connected via HDMI and then HDMI-ARC (input 3) to the soundbar. It seems like I am only getting 2 channel audio from the soundbar as I hear center channel audio (like voices) coming from the rear speakers.

Is it true that the F8500 does not passthrough 5.1 via HDMI-ARC?
post #13754 of 14062 Old 10-30-2016, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luniz97 View Post
I have a Samsung 60inch 8500 with the brand new Bose SoundTouch 300 soundbar with rear speakers. I am utilizing ARC and have DirecTV and Apple Tv connected via HDMI and then HDMI-ARC (input 3) to the soundbar. It seems like I am only getting 2 channel audio from the soundbar as I hear center channel audio (like voices) coming from the rear speakers.

Is it true that the F8500 does not passthrough 5.1 via HDMI-ARC?
5.1 is output from internal sources: Tuner, apps, built in media player
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audio.png
Views:	82
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1744113  

post #13755 of 14062 Old 11-02-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I wrote to Samsung about the service provider's failure to follow-up and got a reply that said, in effect, "We understand that the service provider took your money for a diagnostic call and has not been returning your phone calls regarding the repair. We suggest you call the service provider." This prompted me to post about the situation on Samsung Service's Facebook page. To my surprise, I got a prompt reply from someone who escalated the case and the second level guy determined that the repair would be covered under warranty and contacted the service provider directly. The service provider called me the next morning and the repair is scheduled for next week. Fingers crossed.

My advice: If you have a problem with Samsung don't waste your time with phone calls, chats or emails. Contact them through Facebook.
No repair. Exchange or pro-rata refund.
post #13756 of 14062 Old 11-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have 6300 hours on my F8500 60" and still use Millers settings. Anyone have any "new" settings to try on one with say 5000 + hours?

How to identify a future projector owner, he's the kid sitting two feet from the 42" plasma.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=954837
post #13757 of 14062 Old 11-13-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I'm at 7580 hours. I have not recalibrated since about 2,000 hours. Don't know if I'm probably now out of phase here.
post #13758 of 14062 Old 11-16-2016, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi everyone,
I recently had a new processing board put in my 64" and now the film mode and black optimizer settings are blacked out making them inaccessible. Ideas?

Thank You
post #13759 of 14062 Old 11-17-2016, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 55
What do you all use/recommend for cleaning the screen?

Samsung 64F8500| OPPO 93| Amazon Fire TV
Samsung 51F8500| OPPO 93| WiiU
Samsung 51F8500| Sony BDP-S360| Xbox One
post #13760 of 14062 Old 11-17-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickkent View Post
What do you all use/recommend for cleaning the screen?
Microfiber cloth. If it's requires more than that, a microfiber dampened with distilled water on a cold screen.
rcapprotti and sickkent like this.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #13761 of 14062 Old 11-19-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit58 View Post
Hi everyone,
I recently had a new processing board put in my 64" and now the film mode and black optimizer settings are blacked out making them inaccessible. Ideas?

Thank You
I would go into the service menu and do a factory reset. Service menu code is Mute 1 8 2 Power. while your in there make sure everything else looks right.
post #13762 of 14062 Old 11-21-2016, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
Microfiber cloth. If it's requires more than that, a microfiber dampened with distilled water on a cold screen.
Yes...cause cleaning this screen can be a pain if done wrong!
post #13763 of 14062 Old 11-21-2016, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I rarely post here but I've gotten some image retention on my screen tonight and I turned on the scrolling function in the menu and a strange thing happened: some of the image retention that I first saw seemed to go away, BUT after having the scrolling function going for about an hour, I noticed 3 circles on the left side of the screen. I'm wondering what caused that because I dont think they were there before the scroll function was turned on.

3 circles in a vertical line about 1 inch wide.

I don't understand how they got there.
post #13764 of 14062 Old 11-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhealy View Post
I rarely post here but I've gotten some image retention on my screen tonight and I turned on the scrolling function in the menu and a strange thing happened: some of the image retention that I first saw seemed to go away, BUT after having the scrolling function going for about an hour, I noticed 3 circles on the left side of the screen. I'm wondering what caused that because I dont think they were there before the scroll function was turned on.

this is a case where pictures say more than words.

post #13765 of 14062 Old 11-21-2016, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Used price?

We have a PN60F8500AF that we bought new right before they were discontinued. It is in perfect condition and works perfectly. We need to sell it because we retired and are moving into a motorhome. I want to offer it to my friends first. What would be a fair price to sell it to a friend?
post #13766 of 14062 Old 11-21-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhealy View Post

Probably a really inconspicuous image has been there. All the scrolling function does is make the panel go from 0,0,0 to 255,255,255 based off your current cell light setting and color space. So it can first exacerbate the issue before making it better. Honestly, just play some full screen content and you won't have issues.

Home Theater: Samsung PN51F8500|Samsung TW-J5500|Panasonic DMP-UB900|Custom W10 HTPC running MPC-BE w/ LAV+madVR|Panamax M5400-PM|URC MX990 (WIP)

Gaming: Asus VG248QE|Custom W10 6700K+980Ti|J-Tech 5x1 HDMI switch|PS3 Original 60GB|PS Vita TV|Wii U|Schiit Jotunheim w/DAC|Sony MDRZ7 w/XLR4
post #13767 of 14062 Old 11-21-2016, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaockle View Post
Probably a really inconspicuous image has been there. All the scrolling function does is make the panel go from 0,0,0 to 255,255,255 based off your current cell light setting and color space. So it can first exacerbate the issue before making it better. Honestly, just play some full screen content and you won't have issues.
The image is of the nfl networks ticker I have no idea how long its been there. I was playing a video game and during a scene where the screen was completely white I saw it for the first time. This was last night.
I didn't see the 3-4 circles in a vertical line until I ran the scroll. They are very faint. My camera cant even get them. I started wondering if the scrolling function actually made the circles appear on the screen. So now I've got Starz going which has no logo just picture.

I hope those images arent permanent.

I watch in movie mode (except for when i play my ps4) and my contrast setting is 46 my brightness is 50. So it's not like they are at 85 or so.

I wish I knew if the ir was going to go away or if its not. I'll just keep movies going on it and keep checking to see it improves.

Last edited by bhealy; 11-21-2016 at 08:28 PM. Reason: more details
post #13768 of 14062 Old 11-23-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Has anyone had an experience with Squaretrade as the warranty provider with the bad Y-Sus board? ....and if so, how did it turn out?
post #13769 of 14062 Old 11-26-2016, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think someone was asking how many hours we had. I'm at a bit over 3000 on my 60". Aside from the buzzing and having to replace the component input board, it's been great.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
post #13770 of 14062 Old 11-26-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Has anyone had an experience with Squaretrade as the warranty provider with the bad Y-Sus board? ....and if so, how did it turn out?
They are great! Everything I put a ST warranty on has never failed!

Seriously, I don't recall any complaints. I buy a lot of stuff that is refrub'd or open box and rarely had an issue.
Although, I paid an extra 300 upfront for my new '8500 to have the dealer (Value Elect.) do a 100+hr. burn in and a pro calibration

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva MC-700, Emotiva A-500, Xbox One S, Dali Ikon 6, Vokal 2, OnWall, Outlalw LMF-EX, Furman Elite pf15i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page