Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 461 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1232Likes

Old 12-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post
So Square Trade is offering me a Samsung UN65KU630D as a replacement. They claim this is equivalent to a 64F8500.

I'm thinking of these sets as equivalent:
LG OLED65B6P (OLED)
Samsung UNK65KS9800 (FALD)
Sony XBR-65X930D (FALD)

The first two cost around $3200 (currently) which than I paid for the F8500, and ST won't let me upgrade (would be nice if they just gave me a store credit for $3K or $3K less depreciation).
The Sony XBR is around $2000. - Seems too cheap (in price) be in the same class as the F8500.

Any comments or suggestions?
Tell them to go F themselves with that slap in the face POS tv they are offering. They will probably only offer you a Samsung(because that is what you own), so as it is they should be offering you a JS9500, KS9500, or KS9800. Those are the only equivalents Samsung sells or is still selling at the moment. JS9500 is last years model, but plenty should be available and its the only one that still carries 3d which F8500 has.

To add they are offering a $1000 tv to replace a $3000 television? There is a reason you put a warranty on such an expensive item. It was to replace what was lost if something bad happens. They are trying to rear-end you man and I would be waging war if I were you.

LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
Samsung 51F8500
LG BH200
Sony BDP-S5200 Multi-Region

Last edited by Dianabol5mg; 12-06-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2016, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
Tell them to go F themselves with that slap in the face POS tv they are offering. They will probably only offer you a Samsung(because that is what you own), so as it is they should be offering you a JS9500, KS9500, or KS9800. Those are the only equivalents Samsung sells or is still selling at the moment. JS9500 is last years model, but plenty should be available and its the only one that still carries 3d which F8500 has.

To add they are offering a $1000 tv to replace a $3000 television? There is a reason you put a warranty on such an expensive item. It was to replace what was lost if something bad happens. They are trying to rear-end you man and I would be waging war if I were you.

Thanks for suggesting some replacement idea. That helps.
I was expecting a low-ball offer. The Square Trade replacement policy says they can only provide a replacement set (not cash/credit) but all the equivalent sets (the LG OLED, and KS9800, etc.) are a few hundred dollars more than I paid for the F8500 (damn the sale price). So I may be stuck with a lesser TV.
I'll check the specs on the three sets you mentioned.
I believe only OLED or FALD will come close to the picture quality of the F8500. Do you agree - or are there some Edge Lit displays or others that I should consider?
Old 12-07-2016, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Thanks for suggesting some replacement idea. That helps.
I was expecting a low-ball offer. The Square Trade replacement policy says they can only provide a replacement set (not cash/credit) but all the equivalent sets (the LG OLED, and KS9800, etc.) are a few hundred dollars more than I paid for the F8500 (damn the sale price). So I may be stuck with a lesser TV.
I'll check the specs on the three sets you mentioned.
I believe only OLED or FALD will come close to the picture quality of the F8500. Do you agree - or are there some Edge Lit displays or others that I should consider?
ONLY will the OLEDs and FALDs be close in quality.

LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
Samsung 51F8500
LG BH200
Sony BDP-S5200 Multi-Region

Old 12-07-2016, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
you paid $3200 for the F8500?

If so...I think the LG OLED makes sense for something they should offer you

I think the Sony X930D is edge lit?

Warren

Yes. The 64" F8500 was $3000.(UPDATE: I was wrong. Forgot what I paid. I paid $2499.99) But the Square Trade warranty I got (the highest $ plan) is for TVs from $2,000 to $2999.99) so I can't expect more.

Last edited by CountryBumkin; 12-16-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Yes. The 64" F8500 was $3000. But the Square Trade warranty I got (the highest $ plan) is for TVs from $2,000 to $2999.99) so I can't expect more.
I have had them send me a check for an item before...a computer
So I am very surprised that they dont offer you the upper limit of your warranty amount in a check

If they do..OLED would be the way to go
For a few hundred bucks more..in many ways it a much better TV than the F8500

I am not a huge fan of Samsung FALD set...this years or last years
Now the Sony Z is another matter...but that one is $5K for a 65"

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Hisense H50C Yamaha A2050 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Panasonic 50ST50 Denon4520 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Samsung 51E8000 Sony DA5400ES Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Old 12-07-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So Square Trade is offering me a Samsung UN65KU630D as a replacement. They claim this is equivalent to a 64F8500.

I'm thinking of these sets as equivalent:
LG OLED65B6P (OLED)
Samsung UNK65KS9800 (FALD)
Sony XBR-65X930D

Any comments or suggestions?

ST is now offering me a Sony XBR-65X930D as a replacement. I thought this set was FALD but I learned that is not. Still it sounds like a pretty nice TV.
Any thoughts or comments on this?

UPDATE: 12/8 now ST is up to a Samsung KS800/8500. It's a pretty good set (still not equal to $3K ) but I'm going to see if they will go to the KS9000/9500 (9-series). If so, I'll accept and move on. If not, the next step would be to go to arbitration.

Last edited by CountryBumkin; 12-08-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Curious how many hours are on your monitor?

The MRT (hours) is 1866
Old 12-07-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1547 Post(s)
Liked: 2391
Quote:
The MRT (hours) is 1866
Very low; sorry to read of the trouble and don't cave to ST.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 594
The repair company Square Trade sent out replaced the power board and the HDMI board neither of which repaired the TV. Pretty sure its the Y-Sus board based on the other thread that goes into detail about it.

Now I'm waiting for a phone call to see what they want to do.

Personally, I don't see a current set that I'd like to get. The OLEDs are crushing near black which I'd think would be terrible for some content. The premium Z9D has viewing angle problems typical of LCDs.

Not sure what's going to happen but given how Samsung has phones that catch fire, exploding washing machines, and TVs where you can't get needed repair parts not long after being sold, I'm going to try to avoid getting anything else Samsung.
vavan and bmcn like this.

Last edited by JimP; 12-07-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1547 Post(s)
Liked: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Not sure what's going to happen but given how Samsung has phones that catch fire, exploding washing machines, and TVs where you can't get needed repair parts not long after being sold, I'm going to try to avoid getting anything else Samsung.
Thanks for the laugh.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
ST is now offering me a Sony XBR-65X930D as a replacement. I thought this set was FALD but I learned that is not. Still it sounds like a pretty nice TV.

UPDATE: 12/8 now ST is up to a Samsung KS800/8500. It's a pretty good set (still not equal to $3K ) but I'm going to see if they will go to the KS9000/9500 (9-series). If so, I'll accept and move on. If not, the next step would be to go to arbitration.
The 9000/9500 is exactly the same PQ wise. All you are paying for is the more elegant pedestal/chassis design. But they are both edge lit and suffer from nasty vertical blooming when the highlight detail is at the top of the screen and the bottom is dark. Keep fighting to get a FALD set. You really should be getting a Js9500, Ks9800, Z9D. Maybe even try to have them do a 65" Vizio Pseries from this year's lineup. It's not as bad as some of their past TVs.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally an end to the Square Trade warranty saga. Well, maybe. After many e-mails back and forth with them insisting they need to select the replacement TV for me (for my own good), after which I told them I wanted to go arbitration to allow me to choice my own TV set. Square Trade finally agreed to settle with me for a "cash reimbursement". I'm expecting the check to be for the "Covered Amount" (what I paid for the 64F8500. Which was $2499) but I'll have to see if that is what they send. I hope this is over. At least I can pick my own TV now.
bmcn likes this.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Finally an end to the Square Trade warranty saga. Well, maybe. After many e-mails back and forth with them insisting they need to select the replacement TV for me (for my own good), after which I told them I wanted to go arbitration to allow me to choice my own TV set. Square Trade finally agreed to settle with me for a "cash reimbursement". I'm expecting the check to be for the "Covered Amount" (what I paid for the 64F8500. Which was $2499) but I'll have to see if that is what they send. I hope this is over. At least I can pick my own TV now.
Good job fighting, bro. Wait for those model end sales and pick you up a good TV.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Have you read about anyone who received a check for the "Covered Amount"?

Just asking.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you read about anyone who received a check for the "Covered Amount"?

Just asking.

I've never read about anyone receiving a check. But whatever they payout, I'm still better off choosing my own TV then ST picking it for me. I plan to kick in some $ and get a LG OLED or maybe the Samsung KS9800. Need to do the research now.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
I've never read about anyone receiving a check. But whatever they payout, I'm still better off choosing my own TV then ST picking it for me. I plan to kick in some $ and get a LG OLED or maybe the Samsung KS9800. Need to do the research now.
Please keep posting as this evolves. I'm probably about a week behind you and knowing what they're willing to do in your situation can be useful.

What kind of bugs me is that of the current crop of displays, there really isn't one that I'd spend money on. Given the option, I'd take the money and wait for the 2017s to come out. Hopefully, they'd have something I'd want.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please keep posting as this evolves. I'm probably about a week behind you and knowing what they're willing to do in your situation can be useful.

What kind of bugs me is that of the current crop of displays, there really isn't one that I'd spend money on. Given the option, I'd take the money and wait for the 2017s to come out. Hopefully, they'd have something I'd want.

Jim, have you heard about something coming out in 2017 that is worth waiting for - or are you just hoping/assuming the technology will be improved?

If nothing better comes out of 2017 lineup, given the current crop of TVs available, is there anything that you would prefer in the $3K + range?
Old 12-14-2016, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PNF8500 snow/pink

I have two sources for my PNF8500: Apple TV and a BluRay player. Both connected via HDMI cables to a Denon receiver. The Denon receiver is connected to the TV via HDMI.

Almost daily, the picture will become snowy, pink, or pink and snowy. Sometimes it will warn me by starting off with minor snow and then go full snow and/or pink. Other times, there is no warning. Everything will be fine, then suddenly there will flash a momentary black screen before it turns to snow and/or pink.

Whenever and however it happens, I can still see the picture through the snow and/or pink and the sound is never impacted.

I can fix it by unplugging/plugging in the relevant HDMI, sometimes one unplug/plug will do the trick, sometimes many repeated unplug/plugs are needed.

Whenever it happens, changing sources doesn't help, i.e., switching on the Denon from Apple TV to BluRay or vice versa doesn't make it go away.

The receiver is relatively new and in fact we bought the new receiver specifically because the same problem was happening with our prior receiver, an Onkyo. I had read so much about Onkyo problems that fit this description, I figured it must be that, because the TV then was brand new and the Onkyo was nearly 7 years old. So changing receivers didn't work.

I have also tried switching out the Apple Tv for a second Apple TV we use in the basement. No luck. And in the basement, we didn't have an issue when we tried the upstairs Apple TV through the Vizio TV we keep in the basement.

The TV is from Oct 2014, so past warranty I think. Talked to Samsung, and so far their thought is that the Denon "isn't sending the right signal to the TV". That I should instead run the sources directly to the TV then kick the audio back to the Denon. I don't want to do this and also it doesn't seem like that could be the problem. Samsung wants me to run the Apple TV or BluRay direct to the Samsung to see if the problem persists.

I will try that but in the meantime, any thoughts?!? I am losing it!!
Old 12-14-2016, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Out of those two, I would go with the Sony- better edge lighting and black levels.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature99 View Post
I have two sources for my PNF8500: Apple TV and a BluRay player. Both connected via HDMI cables to a Denon receiver. The Denon receiver is connected to the TV via HDMI.

Almost daily, the picture will become snowy, pink, or pink and snowy. Sometimes it will warn me by starting off with minor snow and then go full snow and/or pink. Other times, there is no warning. Everything will be fine, then suddenly there will flash a momentary black screen before it turns to snow and/or pink.

Whenever and however it happens, I can still see the picture through the snow and/or pink and the sound is never impacted.

I can fix it by unplugging/plugging in the relevant HDMI, sometimes one unplug/plug will do the trick, sometimes many repeated unplug/plugs are needed.

Whenever it happens, changing sources doesn't help, i.e., switching on the Denon from Apple TV to BluRay or vice versa doesn't make it go away.

The receiver is relatively new and in fact we bought the new receiver specifically because the same problem was happening with our prior receiver, an Onkyo. I had read so much about Onkyo problems that fit this description, I figured it must be that, because the TV then was brand new and the Onkyo was nearly 7 years old. So changing receivers didn't work.

I have also tried switching out the Apple Tv for a second Apple TV we use in the basement. No luck. And in the basement, we didn't have an issue when we tried the upstairs Apple TV through the Vizio TV we keep in the basement.

The TV is from Oct 2014, so past warranty I think. Talked to Samsung, and so far their thought is that the Denon "isn't sending the right signal to the TV". That I should instead run the sources directly to the TV then kick the audio back to the Denon. I don't want to do this and also it doesn't seem like that could be the problem. Samsung wants me to run the Apple TV or BluRay direct to the Samsung to see if the problem persists.

I will try that but in the meantime, any thoughts?!? I am losing it!!
That definitely sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. Have you replaced the HDMI cord yet? That would be the next step. I would do the one coming the receiver first, then the others. How long is the run from the receiver to the TV?

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung TW-J5500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Custom W7 HTPC running MPC-HC w/ LAV+madVR
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 650
Old 12-14-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Jim, have you heard about something coming out in 2017 that is worth waiting for - or are you just hoping/assuming the technology will be improved?

If nothing better comes out of 2017 lineup, given the current crop of TVs available, is there anything that you would prefer in the $3K + range?
Supposedly Sony OLED is coming next year. Not sure when, hopefully announced at CES. They will most likely just be LG B6 panels with Sony processing. Otherwise, the LG side just looks like upgrades to the current lineup. Not sure on Samsung.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung TW-J5500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Custom W7 HTPC running MPC-HC w/ LAV+madVR
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 650
Old 12-14-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks zaockle.

All this time I had given the HDMI from the receiver to the TV a pass. My understanding had been that an HDMI either works or it doesn't, with no in between.

Fact is, the HDMI from the receiver to the TV is the only thing in my whole system that isn't mine originally. The previous owners left it. It runs behind the wall, from the TV mount to where the equipment sits. Not too long of a run, maybe 10' max. For all I know it could be relatively old or somehow damaged.

I will replace it and post again with the outcome. Crossing my fingers this solves it.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:

I'm just hoping that the technology will be improved either by LG or someone else using their panels. Earlier this year, Panasonic used the LG panel and was able to improve on it with near black and motion. Wouldn't mind getting one of those except for the fact that Panasonic no longer sells displays in the U.S. Sony's Z9D is interesting but a bit overpriced and you still have the off angle viewing problem.

If it turns out at CES that no one has improved on the 2016 OLEDs, I'd go for either the E or B 2016 OLEDs.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Recently a ton of these have popped up in my area on Craigslist. Weird because till now I haven't seen them around me very often but there's four available right now, and 2 weeks ago I saw two others. Most are 60's, I think two were 50's. None that I've seen were 65. One of them is only 500, the rest are between 850-1100. I was almost tempted by the 500 dollar one
Old 12-16-2016, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I still haven't seen a TV (within reason of price) that significantly outperforms my 64" F8500

I just hope it doesn't crap out, LOL

64PNF8500 Plasma, Yamama RX-V1900, BIC Acoustech 5.1
Old 12-16-2016, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
I still haven't seen a TV (within reason of price) that significantly outperforms my 64" F8500

I just hope it doesn't crap out, LOL
The 65B6 can be had easily for 3K. How much was the 65 F8500 when it was new?
Old 12-16-2016, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
The 65B6 can be had easily for 3K. How much was the 65 F8500 when it was new?
that's a nice set for sure, but I was talking about a significant upgrade, I don't think that is significantly better than the F8500.

That is solely just my .02

I got my set for $2500 out the door with extended warranty,

Looks like that 65B6 is more like 3300ish from any legit seller (no east coast TV, etc)

but anyway, I just hope my set lasts and then ya OLED seems to be the only real replacement for the flagship plasmas of yesturday

64PNF8500 Plasma, Yamama RX-V1900, BIC Acoustech 5.1
Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
that's a nice set for sure, but I was talking about a significant upgrade, I don't think that is significantly better than the F8500.

That is solely just my .02

I got my set for $2500 out the door with extended warranty,

Looks like that 65B6 is more like 3300ish from any legit seller (no east coast TV, etc)

but anyway, I just hope my set lasts and then ya OLED seems to be the only real replacement for the flagship plasmas of yesturday
True, I forgot the 3K price for the 65B6 was a sale price.

I was just curious on the original MSRP for the F8500.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The LG OLED65E6P is selling for $3,026 at Office Depot. I just ordered it, but it is out of stock. I called to confirm price is correct (not a typo) and was told yes- it will be honored when TV ships in 3-4 weeks. No charge to CC until it ships, and I can cancel at any time.
So if it doesn't materialize before the Super Bowl sales in January, I just cancel the order and buy something else (or pay a different price).
http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...3D-2160p-OLED/
Old 12-16-2016, 10:23 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
True, I forgot the 3K price for the 65B6 was a sale price.

I was just curious on the original MSRP for the F8500.
According to this article, it was $3,400. The 60" was $2,800.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421477,00.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread