Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 463 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1232Likes

Old 01-04-2017, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
Try unplugging all inputs, especially all HDMI inputs. Pull the power plug and let it sit unplugged for 10 minutes. Turn back on and do the factory reset. Pull the power plug and let it sit for a few minutes. Plug all inputs back in, turn it on, and pray...
Well, I was even praying while I did it, but to no avail. Kick myself for even messing with it in the first place. Don't understand how a reset would mess up the functioning of a tv, but what do I know. I know it's not rational but experiencing this really turns me off from Samsung. I can still watch it but I have to go through a lot of settings just to get the picture back up. Was hoping it would last until a possible Sony OLED but I know this tv is going to get annoying real quick. I got a good almost 4 years out of it before it screwing up. Unfortunately that was better than some.

UPDATE: Found the problem. Wasn't the TV after all. It was my Pioneer receiver. HDMI inputs were switching every time I turned it on. Not sure why it started doing it now. Turned off HDMI Control on the receiver and now working fine. I'm not smart enough for this s**t! Thanks for the help anyways!

Last edited by Oplasmic; 01-04-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhealy View Post
I'm mostly concerned about audio syncing with the video. I'm going to be plugging my dac into the optical out and just plugging a pair of headphones into the dac and see how that goes.

I don't really care about the most perfect sound quality if the sound isn't sync'd with the video.
That's why I was wondering about bluetooth and RF headphones sets. But I hear that the wireless setups have problems syncing with the video.

I don't want to buy a new avr.
The sync is adjustable. You shouldn't have too much of an issue with wired headsets. I don't mess with wireless ones, so not sure on that.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung TW-J5500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Custom W7 HTPC running MPC-HC w/ LAV+madVR
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 650
Old 01-05-2017, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, from sometime now my 64f8500 is showing a greenish tint on the image, its sublte but its there, in some cases is very anoying seems like there is something wrong with the picture, not just the green but also other colors.

I tried the factory reset in the user menus, didnt help, also went to the withe balance and increase by 2 point the red and blue low and high gain its better but i´m still not getting the image like it was before, sometimes the image is really bad.

Im using cinema mode
with warm1 for tv and warm 2 for bluray everything else is off, just the BO set to dark room

I read here somewhere that the warm 2 has some greenish tint on some sets but i never experienced this on mine, and i also have the issue in the warm1.

I´m thinking on doing a service menu reset but i´m afraid that somthing goes wrong.

Any thoughts, and any one experienced this issue?

Edit:the tv has 4500hours

Old 01-05-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by saru360 View Post
Hi all, from sometime now my 64f8500 is showing a greenish tint on the image, its sublte but its there, in some cases is very anoying seems like there is something wrong with the picture, not just the green but also other colors.

I tried the factory reset in the user menus, didnt help, also went to the withe balance and increase by 2 point the red and blue low and high gain its better but i´m still not getting the image like it was before, sometimes the image is really bad.

Im using cinema mode
with warm1 for tv and warm 2 for bluray everything else is off, just the BO set to dark room

I read here somewhere that the warm 2 has some greenish tint on some sets but i never experienced this on mine, and i also have the issue in the warm1.

I´m thinking on doing a service menu reset but i´m afraid that somthing goes wrong.

Any thoughts, and any one experienced this issue?

Edit:the tv has 4500hours
without knowing more, this doesn't sound like anything to me. when i calibrated, i needed a heavy touch on the white balance controls. i used warm1 as my starting point, as the blue and green were pretty good, just needed to raise the red. my warm2 was way outta whack.

to give you an idea, this was warm1 before calibration:

after calibration:

and you can see the adjustments i made to the 2pt and 10pt controls to get there(notice i cranked the red to 32 on both the high and low 2pt controls)

i actually tried a few different variations, and the above was the LEAST i increased the red levels.

would be nice to get a meter on it to see what it's actually doing. might be an easy fix, might be an actual problem

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 01-05-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'm on FW 1209 here in the US. Any reason to upgrade to 1215 that doesn't have to do with the Smart Hub?

I know that the general rule of thumb is if everything is going fine right now then I shouldn't bother upgrading, but I was curious what might change from one to the other.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
Old 01-07-2017, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
3 new processing boards and yuck

Hi all, looking for a little guidance here> I always had motion problems with my 64" and before the warranty was up bit the bullet and called the Geek Squad. They put in a new processing board and the picture looked pretty good. Then, set would freeze sometimes when in programming and then would also not turn off unless unplugged. They put in another board, this one looked really poor, blurry etc. Then one more time new board, better but still blah picture. Not sharp crisp. I did reenter all the calibration settings.
Ideas, I'm really bummed. I want my picture back.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
without knowing more, this doesn't sound like anything to me. when i calibrated, i needed a heavy touch on the white balance controls. i used warm1 as my starting point, as the blue and green were pretty good, just needed to raise the red. my warm2 was way outta whack.

to give you an idea, this was warm1 before calibration:

after calibration:

and you can see the adjustments i made to the 2pt and 10pt controls to get there(notice i cranked the red to 32 on both the high and low 2pt controls)

i actually tried a few different variations, and the above was the LEAST i increased the red levels.

would be nice to get a meter on it to see what it's actually doing. might be an easy fix, might be an actual problem

Hi fierce_gt tanks for your reply, yes indeed the best way to know whats is happening is to use a colorimeter.

Mine set has been already calibrated in the past but after the greenish "issue" i did a factory reset but didnt not help

Here his the report, warm 2 was used here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbqchd3y50...00%2011-07.pdf

You can see the before calibratrion results was already pretty good, and i didint had any problem with the red.
Maybe the set is losing the red? Did you notice the lack of red in your first calibrations with less hours on it?
Old 01-08-2017, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
i honestly don't remember how long after purchasing the f8500 i did the first calibration. i did not buy the meter until at least a few months after getting the tv(i just don't remember if it was like 1-2months, or 6-8months). the posted 'before' readings are from the first session i used the meter.

i THINK, that on mine, warm2 started off too green/yellow which is why i used warm1(which looked more bluish, which i find much easier to get over). it's been a long time since i checked with the meter, but i have not noticed anything major in the 2+ years since i calibrated it. it seems possible that colors would shift, given enough time, but i can't confirm that from my own set.

wish i could be more helpful... have you tried increasing the red in the 2pt white balance more aggressively? is it possible to give it a red tint? my assumption is that if you can make it 'too red' then there should be a setting that makes it 'just right' somewhere in between. if you have a good feeling that it can be calibrated out, then might be worth the cost to get it done again.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Old 01-08-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit58 View Post
Hi all, looking for a little guidance here> I always had motion problems with my 64" and before the warranty was up bit the bullet and called the Geek Squad. They put in a new processing board and the picture looked pretty good. Then, set would freeze sometimes when in programming and then would also not turn off unless unplugged. They put in another board, this one looked really poor, blurry etc. Then one more time new board, better but still blah picture. Not sharp crisp. I did reenter all the calibration settings.
Ideas, I'm really bummed. I want my picture back.
If your Geek Squad warranty is still in effect, don't they have a clause that says after 3 tries fixing a problem, they'll replace your display?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
If your Geek Squad warranty is still in effect, don't they have a clause that says after 3 tries fixing a problem, they'll replace your display?
Yes, but geek squad has a 90 day workmanship warranty. Which means if the repair doesn't stick or you still think there is a problem, it's not considered a successful repair. So if you call back before then, they just reopen the case and continue trying to fix it. So to do it right, you have to live with it for nearly 9 months (this will vary depending on the purchase date of his set, as they change terms frequently), calling once every 3 months for them to swap the boards. And of course, it's up to the discretion of the tech. If they think there is no problem, they will just close your order as "user error".

I know someone who works for the company, and this comes straight from him.
vavan likes this.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung TW-J5500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 650

Last edited by zaockle; 01-08-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaockle View Post
Yes, but geek squad has a 90 day workmanship warranty. Which means if the repair doesn't stick or you still think there is a problem, it's not considered a successful repair. So if you call back before then, they just reopen the case and continue trying to fix it. So to do it right, you have to live with it for nearly 9 months (this will vary depending on the purchase date of his set, as they change terms frequently), calling once every 3 months for them to swap the boards. And of course, it's up to the discretion of the tech. If they think there is no problem, they will just close your order as "user error".

I know someone who works for the company, and this comes straight from him.
They sure don't make it sound that way when they're trying to get you to buy their warranty.

Glad I didn't buy theirs.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bit depth processing abilities of F8500??

Anyone know if the Samsung F8500 is capable of displaying 10-bit encoded videos natively from lets say PowerDVD or other player??
Or does it dither it down to 8-bit??

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone seen how this TV compares to the Vizio P series? My plasma finally broke and I'm not sure if I can swing enough for an OLED.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone's Amazon Video working with the 1215 firmware?

I've never tried it before and all I get is a black screen upon launching the app. I've tried resetting the hub to no avail - every other streaming app works fine.

Amazon's support is not being helpful either.... If it is working - what version does your Amazon app list?
Old 01-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post

I've never tried it before and all I get is a black screen upon launching the app. I've tried resetting the hub to no avail - every other streaming app works fine.

Amazon's support is not being helpful either.... If it is working - what version does your Amazon app list?
works for me. app version 5.000

LN55C630, PN64F8500, Definitive SSA-50, GE Supercinema 3D Array X, Paradigm Millenia CT
Old 01-12-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moheban79 View Post
Anyone know if the Samsung F8500 is capable of displaying 10-bit encoded videos natively from lets say PowerDVD or other player??

Thanks.
I haven't done a real hardcore test, but I know that it accepts up to 12bit (deep color) signals. I've heard that it's a 10bit panel, but I need to run some tests still.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung TW-J5500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 650
Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post

Mine is working, but I had the same problem at first. You need to make sure the app itself is updated. And the dedicated button on the basic remote does not work. It will try to load an older version for some reason. Once I got it to work, I pinned it to the smart hub pop up menu so I wouldn't have the issue anymore.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung TW-J5500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 650
Old 01-12-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaldivine View Post
Has anyone seen how this TV compares to the Vizio P series? My plasma finally broke and I'm not sure if I can swing enough for an OLED.

Vizio P is a good model (except for the 50",55") but I hate the SmartCast system they did. It's got good color and the local dimming is pretty good. But not as good as OLED obviously.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung TW-J5500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 650
Old 01-12-2017, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
works for me. app version 5.000
Yea that was the version I had. I tried everything (resetting the smart hub, changing the DNS) and the country switch trick is what fixed it for me. Go figure....
Old 01-12-2017, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moheban79 View Post

Thanks.
I haven't done a real hardcore test, but I know that it accepts up to 12bit (deep color) signals. I've heard that it's a 10bit panel, but I need to run some tests still.

You know I just figured that out ten minutes ago on my own messing with the nvidia control panel. Was able to select 12 bit mode no problem. I just need hardware acceleration of 10 bit hevc content and I'll be good. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
according to S51FH-YD03 specs panel features "68719.47 million colors (12Bit), 1073.7 million colors(10Bit), or 16.77 million colors (8Bit) combination of R,G and B digital data. (According to LVDS input selection)"
bmcn likes this.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaldivine View Post

I have a PN51F8500, and last August I got a Vizio P65. I'm extremely happy with the Vizio. It's been great for tv, movies, and games. I highly recommend checking it out.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all. Last month my 51" 8500 got a single line of "off-color" pixels towards the middle of the display. I've since replaced the TV as it sounds like it's the panel from what I've read and not really worth repairing. Since it works well other than that, any thoughts on what to do with it? I've thought about donating it for some sort of tax write off (what could I even write it off for?). Any other ideas? Just can't see trashing it for such a minor blemish but figure someone could use it for something.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
The sync is adjustable. You shouldn't have too much of an issue with wired headsets. I don't mess with wireless ones, so not sure on that.
Ok, so I tried using a dac from the tvs optical digital audio output and I plugged in some headphones directly into the converter and I hear nothing at all.

The only option for optical audio is PCM so thats ok. I tried setting my oppos hdmi audio output to lpcm thinking that would be the fix and I still hear nothing.

My cable box says its putting out DD5.1 and I went into the cable box settings and theres no pcm option there.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get pcm audio out of my tv? Is LPCM the same as PCM? Can a dac that just accepts pcm work on this tv?

Is it even possible to get the tv to output pcm audio out when the blu ray disc just puts out dts?

I don't know what to do next.

*EDIT Turns out I hadnt plugged the optical cable into the dac all the way or into the tv all the way. They didn't snap in the right way. So I'll try it all again.

Last edited by bhealy; 01-16-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrob2 View Post
Hi all. Last month my 51" 8500 got a single line of "off-color" pixels towards the middle of the display. I've since replaced the TV as it sounds like it's the panel from what I've read and not really worth repairing. Since it works well other than that, any thoughts on what to do with it? I've thought about donating it for some sort of tax write off (what could I even write it off for?). Any other ideas? Just can't see trashing it for such a minor blemish but figure someone could use it for something.
Take the back off, remove all the boards and sell them online. Assuming it was a panel failure, all the boards should work fine and I know people are buying up spare boards just in case. Just make sure to do a factory reset before selling the main or else someone will get all your streaming services for free.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung TW-J5500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 650
Old 01-17-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I tried using a dac from the tvs optical digital audio output and I plugged in some headphones directly into the converter and I hear nothing at all.

The only option for optical audio is PCM so thats ok. I tried setting my oppos hdmi audio output to lpcm thinking that would be the fix and I still hear nothing.

My cable box says its putting out DD5.1 and I went into the cable box settings and theres no pcm option there.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get pcm audio out of my tv? Is LPCM the same as PCM? Can a dac that just accepts pcm work on this tv?

Is it even possible to get the tv to output pcm audio out when the blu ray disc just puts out dts?

I don't know what to do next.

*EDIT Turns out I hadnt plugged the optical cable into the dac all the way or into the tv all the way. They didn't snap in the right way. So I'll try it all again.
LPCM is the same as PCM.

The oppo lpcm setting just decodes DDTHD or DTSMA to LPCM. If you dont have it on LPCM, the TV tells your bluray player it can only accept DD or DTS (since it most likely doesnt decode lossless sound, long and complicated technical crap involved). The TV then downmixes to 2.0 I believe.

The cable box is just feeding DD to the TV, which then downmixes the audio to 2.0.

The TVs digital audio out PCM setting just puts out 2.0 pcm digital audio. The only time this is able to change to DD or DTS is when you use a smart app or OTA channel.

Basically, assuming everything is plugged in right and powered properly, you should be getting audio. If not, somethings defective.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung TW-J5500
Panasonic DMP-UB900
Panamax M5400-PM
Harmony 650
Old 01-17-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
LPCM is the same as PCM.

The oppo lpcm setting just decodes DDTHD or DTSMA to LPCM. If you dont have it on LPCM, the TV tells your bluray player it can only accept DD or DTS (since it most likely doesnt decode lossless sound, long and complicated technical crap involved). The TV then downmixes to 2.0 I believe.

The cable box is just feeding DD to the TV, which then downmixes the audio to 2.0.

The TVs digital audio out PCM setting just puts out 2.0 pcm digital audio. The only time this is able to change to DD or DTS is when you use a smart app or OTA channel.

Basically, assuming everything is plugged in right and powered properly, you should be getting audio. If not, somethings defective.
I had never used an optical digital cable before so I didnt know they had to 'snap' into place. So I Wasn't getting any sound from the tv through the optical cable. I went to try the plug again and it snapped into place on the dac and the tv, I turn on the tv and I got sound thats perfectly sync'd with video. The sound is a little loud through the headphones I'm using but it's a success.
I don't need to buy a big new avr or new headphones! I'm going to plug the dac via rca cables into my analog Rotel reciever, because I'm pretty sure blu-rays will be very loud coming out of the optical output. I don't beleive there is a internal vol for the optical output. So I just need to put it into my avr. No big deal.

I just saved hundreds if not a thousand dollars because of a $40 dac. Very happy right now.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
LPCM is the same as PCM.

Ok, got a new problem now.....the L/R channels are reversed using the dac. I've gone into the blu-ray player and tv to look for a setting to correct this but I don't see one.

I figure I will have to reverse the l/r audio cables going into my avr to fix this. I'll hook it up backwards to fix it, I suppose.
Is this a bug with the tv, or somethign else? Is there a way to reset something to fix it? Every thing seemed fine until I noticed the sound reversed.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Ok, got a new problem now.....the L/R channels are reversed using the dac. I've gone into the blu-ray player and tv to look for a setting to correct this but I don't see one.

I figure I will have to reverse the l/r audio cables going into my avr to fix this. I'll hook it up backwards to fix it, I suppose.
Is this a bug with the tv, or somethign else? Is there a way to reset something to fix it? Every thing seemed fine until I noticed the sound reversed.
Sounds like either your cables are reversed or your DAC is. Either way, I'd switch the cables and be done with it.
pbenjamin likes this.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Sounds like either your cables are reversed or your DAC is. Either way, I'd switch the cables and be done with it.
I just have a optical cable from my tv to the dac. And a 3.5 mm headphone jack plugged into the dac for sound right now. No cables to be reversed right now. How could the dac be reversed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv