Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 466 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1235Likes

Old 03-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
FW 1215.2 available since February 2017.
Have you applied it to your PDP? Does it make any difference that you can see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
There has to be some explanation for this. I have an Amazon Firestick and I can bring up Netflix on the Fire Stick without this odd behavior, and can do on Apple TV and Roku as well. The only difference is that I have the Fire Stick on a separate HDMI connection. The Apple TV and Roku go through the AVR though.
I finally found an answer to this issue! It seems my daughter stayed with us a few nights and setup her Netflix account on the Samsung app without my knowledge. All I had to do was delete her account from the app which was no easy task. After some searching on the net I found this:

To deactivate the device, get into the Netflix screen on that device, then using your device's remote control, hit the following buttons:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, up, up, up, up.
This should take you to a Netflix system information screen with the option to Disable or Deactivate the player from your Netflix account. Click the "Deactivate" button to remove the link to your Netflix account.

Not very intuitive, but it worked
Mike
Old 03-27-2017, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Firmware Info Wanted for PN64F8500 firmware 1215!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
haha...same generic info.

I wouldn't bother calling Samsung support...same old monkey response...."reset TV" "upgrade firmware"
Funny, for the current firmware Samsung has the wrong TV posted! Still trying to find out what features at in firmware 1215!

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-2313CI
Oppo BDP-103

Panasonic TC-P65S60
Denon AVR-1911

Old 03-27-2017, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Firmware Info Wanted for PN64F8500 firmware 1215!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
haha...same generic info.

I wouldn't bother calling Samsung support...same old monkey response...."reset TV" "upgrade firmware"
Funny, for the current firmware Samsung has the wrong TV posted!!!
Still trying to find out what features/changes are in firmware 1215!

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-2313CI
Oppo BDP-103

Panasonic TC-P65S60
Denon AVR-1911
Old 03-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman10 View Post
Funny, for the current firmware Samsung has the wrong TV posted!!!
Still trying to find out what features/changes are in firmware 1215!
added smart tv menu bar

LN55C630, PN64F8500, Definitive SSA-50, GE Supercinema 3D Array X, Paradigm Millenia CT
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero View Post
Oct 2015: I called Poway TV (local repair center with good Yelp reviews) and they fixed the power board. Said it had a bad capacitor. Cost me $275 which included 2 on-site visits.
So, I was able to repair my 64F8500 for another year but now I think its starting to 'go' again. No power-on issues, instead the brightness is noticeably not bright, resulting in black-crush in most scenes. Which is ironic since I bought this TV for its black-levels. I have the cell-level maxed to 20 and 'Brightness' etc tweaked to try and get usable low-black detail.

Have others' experienced this symptom and was there a repair? I'm assuming there's another board or capacitor that needs replacement, but I think I'd rather just buy another TV. (After less than 4 years, ugh.) The TV still looks beautiful on bright source-material like animated kids movies, of which we watch a lot.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I have yet to experience this, but was this a progressive thing? How many hours on your set so far? I'm at 8500 hours.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
does updating the firmware change your settings?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambonea4d View Post
does updating the firmware change your settings?
No, but doing what I do with a factory reset thereafter does.

Good news is that I don't have to change everything back. CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHt seem to be "disabled" before factory reset is done on this thing, so every time that I restore them all of my picture settings return. The only one that doesn't really is the 10pt white balance, because that is universal for all inputs.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
Old 03-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
I have yet to experience this, but was this a progressive thing? How many hours on your set so far? I'm at 8500 hours.
I haven't been able to find the right key-combo to check it.

It's been heavily used for 4 years (I have 3 kids)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't been able to find the right key-combo to check it.

It's been heavily used for 4 years (I have 3 kids)
Mute 7-3-7 Enter

See the option that says MRT. Turn the TV off and on again to exit that screen.

I have 8438 hours logged on it, officially.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Am now having this issue ... TV goes off for a countdown of 5, and then comes back on. This can happen four or five times over a 4 hour period, and then twice this week the video has gone completely black with only the audio playing. I shut the TV off, wait 15 minutes and pray the picture comes back ... so far it has. It happens not only with a TV source but also if I am playing a DVD or Blu Ray. Any help you can provide will be gratefully received, and thanks!
Old 03-31-2017, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
Turn the TV on, then Mute 7-3-7 Enter

See the option that says MRT. Turn the TV off and on again to exit that screen.
Thanks! That's a different menu than I'd found before. I have 5900 hours. I probably had just 4000 hours when the power-board died originally.

There's another service menu that you have to activate from power-off and which has a lot more settings -- but not the "MRT" hours.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonepile View Post
Am now having this issue ... TV goes off for a countdown of 5, and then comes back on. This can happen four or five times over a 4 hour period, and then twice this week the video has gone completely black with only the audio playing. I shut the TV off, wait 15 minutes and pray the picture comes back ... so far it has. It happens not only with a TV source but also if I am playing a DVD or Blu Ray. Any help you can provide will be gratefully received, and thanks!
You probably have a blown capacitor on one of the power- or control-boards. It seems to be a design flaw in this TV.

Call around to local electronics or TV repair shops, try to find someone who's familiar with Samsung plasma TV repairs. They need to remove the boards and test the capacitors, i.e., not simply swap the boards for replacement -- because there are no more replacements.

I spent $275 to have someone come to my house, remove the power-board, take it back to their shop and test everything, then reinstall it. We were without a TV for less than a week.
Stayreal23 likes this.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! That's a different menu than I'd found before. I have 5900 hours. I probably had just 4000 hours when the power-board died originally.

There's another service menu that you have to activate from power-off and which has a lot more settings -- but not the "MRT" hours.
Ha, whoops! Sorry, I assumed your TV was already on. Kind of dumb because as you said, the factory settings menu needs the TV to be off.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
You probably have a blown capacitor on one of the power- or control-boards. It seems to be a design flaw in this TV.

Call around to local electronics or TV repair shops, try to find someone who's familiar with Samsung plasma TV repairs. They need to remove the boards and test the capacitors, i.e., not simply swap the boards for replacement -- because there are no more replacements.

I spent $275 to have someone come to my house, remove the power-board, take it back to their shop and test everything, then reinstall it. We were without a TV for less than a week.
Thanks will do. It just is frustrating to say the least.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
any of you guys using the newest fire tv with this set?

if so, how does the app performance compare to the built in one for say like amazon video?

which is faster or are there any quality differences?
Yes. I have all thee of the latest generation set top boxes (Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku Ultra). They all perform 100 times better than the built in Samsung TV apps. TV apps are generally terrible. That is why newer TV's have Roku built into them. Consumers hated the TV app experience.

I have completely forgotten my F8500 is a "Smart TV". So should you.

Yours,

Byrdman
Great advice

I just put in my amazon fire and PlayStation vue on it

Holy moly is that better, interface is light years ahead with speed and function

Picture quality is noticeable better than my dish network service as well

Awesome, bye dish
Old 04-02-2017, 11:43 AM

One thing I noticed running PlayStation vue on amazon fire tv is you have to set the screen size to 16:9 instead of screen fit to get some of the stations to fit properly

Any other implications with this setting?
Old 04-02-2017, 05:29 PM

I also notice the very top 2-3 lines of pixels are not light all the time on all apps. You have to stand right up to the tv to inspect it to see this but I wonder if there would be any long term implications of these not being on all time, some apps and shows fill it all the way, others do not
Old 04-09-2017, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
I also notice the very top 2-3 lines of pixels are not light all the time on all apps. You have to stand right up to the tv to inspect it to see this but I wonder if there would be any long term implications of these not being on all time, some apps and shows fill it all the way, others do not
Most broadcast networks expect viewers TVs to be overscanning anyway, so I doubt you are losing any detail in 16:9 mode. The 2-3 lines of pixels being off is the screen burn protection pixel shift function. you can turn this off if you want. Its mainly for when you are watching something that has a static interface, like a news ticker or a score box. slightly lowers the IR you get from those.

Home Theater: Samsung PN51F8500|Samsung TW-J5500|Panasonic DMP-UB900|Custom W10 HTPC running MPC-HC w/ LAV+madVR|Panamax M5400-PM|URC MX990 (WIP)

Gaming: Asus VG248QE|Custom W10 6700K+980Ti|Binary 5x1 HDMI switch|PS3 Original 60GB|PS Vita TV|Wii U(soon)|Schiit Jotunheim w/DAC|Sennheiser HD600 w/XLR4
Old 04-09-2017, 04:42 PM

What settings are you guys using for pixel shift never really messed with it
Old 04-09-2017, 04:54 PM

I notice that if I have two or three lines of pixels not light on certain stations if I change screen size from 16*9 to fit back to 16*9 it must rescale or something because then it is correct size and lights up all pixels
Old 04-10-2017, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

Thanks to guys like yourself, I was able to save myself a lot of $$$$ as I just called my local repair guy (who was rated very highly) and he came same day to my house and replaced the capacitors for $200.00. Now my set is running like the day I got it. I can't believe I was so close to throwing this set out. Thank God for AVS Forum.
Damien Inferno and bmcn like this.
Old Today, 09:29 PM

Liked: 0
Hey hoping someone can shed some light. It seems for my pn51f8500 with the change to the tizen os, i lose the recommendations feature, search feature no longer includes box set info, voice interaction no longer provides data for any of the "broadcast & content" commands (denzel washington movies, what comedies are on, anything interesting, etc). Is it my tv or has tizen os really dumbed down this tv and limited the awesome interactive features it initially had. Is there a fix or workaround. Or maybe my tv is acting finicky? No more on tv hub options, etc. This is epically a disaster.
Old Today, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Lopez View Post
Hey hoping someone can shed some light. It seems for my pn51f8500 with the change to the tizen os, i lose the recommendations feature, search feature no longer includes box set info, voice interaction no longer provides data for any of the "broadcast & content" commands (denzel washington movies, what comedies are on, anything interesting, etc). Is it my tv or has tizen os really dumbed down this tv and limited the awesome interactive features it initially had. Is there a fix or workaround. Or maybe my tv is acting finicky? No more on tv hub options, etc. This is epically a disaster.
samsung slowly removed all those features. its their stupid way of trying to get people to buy a new tv.

Home Theater: Samsung PN51F8500|Samsung TW-J5500|Panasonic DMP-UB900|Custom W10 HTPC running MPC-HC w/ LAV+madVR|Panamax M5400-PM|URC MX990 (WIP)

Gaming: Asus VG248QE|Custom W10 6700K+980Ti|Binary 5x1 HDMI switch|PS3 Original 60GB|PS Vita TV|Wii U(soon)|Schiit Jotunheim w/DAC|Sennheiser HD600 w/XLR4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv