Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 467 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1240Likes

post #13981 of 14000 Old 05-16-2017, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi - I have a Samsung 8500 and a Denon receiver that have worked together harmoniously for years but now I either get ARC with TV, or sound through other AVR inputs, but not both. When my TV sound is working, and I can control the receiver volume with the TV remote, and I switch to the HDMI on TV and try to select an AV input, the receiver flashes the desired input, then right back to TV. If I turn off HDMI CEC on the receiver I can get receiver inputs to work, but then I get no surround on my TV input. The TV also fails to recognize the receiver as an audio playback option. Has anyone had an issue like this? The only thing I've done recently was turn on the HDMI control feature on my Roku but turned that back off and things were fine until today. I can always hook up an optical cable but TV is wall mounted so I'd just like to avoid that if there's an easy solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13982 of 14000 Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl001 View Post
Hi - I have a Samsung 8500 and a Denon receiver that have worked together harmoniously for years but now I either get ARC with TV, or sound through other AVR inputs, but not both. When my TV sound is working, and I can control the receiver volume with the TV remote, and I switch to the HDMI on TV and try to select an AV input, the receiver flashes the desired input, then right back to TV. If I turn off HDMI CEC on the receiver I can get receiver inputs to work, but then I get no surround on my TV input. The TV also fails to recognize the receiver as an audio playback option. Has anyone had an issue like this? The only thing I've done recently was turn on the HDMI control feature on my Roku but turned that back off and things were fine until today. I can always hook up an optical cable but TV is wall mounted so I'd just like to avoid that if there's an easy solution.
i've also had this set now for years and it still works great too. i have used an optical cable for audio and haven't had any issues at all with sound. i would go that route and pipe the optical cable into the wall.
mwl001 likes this.
post #13983 of 14000 Old 06-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Does anyone know if it is possible to update the version of the Spotify app for this TV?

post #13984 of 14000 Old 06-01-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
Yes, did do this and actually left it unplugged for 10 days before the tech came out and it made no difference. He took off the back cover, inspected it, put it back together and it has been working fine so far. Will keep praying that it stays this way until I am able to afford to move to OLED!
I have an issue where my PN64F8500 won't give a picture on power up. Red light flashes 6 times then stops. I took a chance and ordered a NEW Samsung power board and replaced it. It still does it, but not nearly as often .I have seen mention of the Y-board causing issues like this. Any input GREATLY appreciated.

Decibels - did the tech unplug any connectors while he had the back off? Maybe that's the solution, is reset all connectors.

Mike
Houston Comcast
post #13985 of 14000 Old 06-01-2017, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
there's a new update for this set (1217). I'll report back any changes I find when it's done installing.

EDIT: Looks like Samsung finally fixed the silly boot logo glitch. option stays off between power cycles. hooray. otherwise everything appears to be the same.

Last edited by zaockle; 06-01-2017 at 08:09 PM.
post #13986 of 14000 Old 06-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaockle View Post
there's a new update for this set (1217). I'll report back any changes I find when it's done installing.

EDIT: Looks like Samsung finally fixed the silly boot logo glitch. option stays off between power cycles. hooray. otherwise everything appears to be the same.
I saw your post & checked for this update... sure enough software version: 1217 is available and is being applied to my PDP as I respond to your post.

If only I could update the Spotify app to match the version my aging PS3 supports.
post #13987 of 14000 Old 06-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatheny View Post
I have an issue where my PN64F8500 won't give a picture on power up. Red light flashes 6 times then stops. I took a chance and ordered a NEW Samsung power board and replaced it. It still does it, but not nearly as often .I have seen mention of the Y-board causing issues like this. Any input GREATLY appreciated.

Decibels - did the tech unplug any connectors while he had the back off? Maybe that's the solution, is reset all connectors.
Sounds like Y board...simple cheap fix. Haven't really heard of any other major problems with this TV.

LN55C630, PN64F8500, Definitive SSA-50, GE Supercinema 3D Array X, Paradigm Millenia CT
post #13988 of 14000 Old 06-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anything else?

LN55C630, PN64F8500, Definitive SSA-50, GE Supercinema 3D Array X, Paradigm Millenia CT
post #13989 of 14000 Old 06-05-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
Anything else?
I am seeing a setting under sound that either is new or I haven't noticed before. It's called 3D audit and its greyed out set to low.

Can anyone else confirm?
post #13990 of 14000 Old 06-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Vincent Praino View Post
I am seeing a setting under sound that either is new or I haven't noticed before. It's called 3D audit and its greyed out set to low.

Can anyone else confirm?
3D audio has been around for a while...looks like the bug is still there, set to low. I noticed it creates a reverb effect on the sound, until turned off.

post #13991 of 14000 Old 06-06-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
3D audio has been around for a while...looks like the bug is still there, set to low. I noticed it creates a reverb effect on the sound, until turned off.
Do you know of any workaround to turn it off?
post #13992 of 14000 Old 06-06-2017, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Do you know of any workaround to turn it off?
3D AUDIO being only available when 3D content is being displayed I'd think you load some 3D content and see if it's now available to be modified LOW/HIGH/OFF or whatever. I've got it on my very old firmware 1119 and I believe it was there long before that. Not sure but I'd think so. I've never attempted any tweaks of the "SOUND" - I believe that of the 11160 hours of use on the display there's very likely less than 25 hours of that using the SOUND. Much of that time was very likely just confirming the Y-sustain capacitor failures for "power on"!
post #13993 of 14000 Old 06-06-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
3D AUDIO being only available when 3D content is being displayed I'd think you load some 3D content and see if it's now available to be modified LOW/HIGH/OFF or whatever. I've got it on my very old firmware 1119 and I believe it was there long before that. Not sure but I'd think so. I've never attempted any tweaks of the "SOUND" - I believe that of the 11160 hours of use on the display there's very likely less than 25 hours of that using the SOUND. Much of that time was very likely just confirming the Y-sustain capacitor failures for "power on"!
So does that mean 3D is not actually doing anything when content is 2D (even if set low/greyed out)?
post #13994 of 14000 Old 06-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So does that mean 3D is not actually doing anything when content is 2D (even if set low/greyed out)?
It shouldn't, but I noticed that it did change the sound and I use external sound through optical.....not sure if Samsung has fixed it or not.

Enable 3d video mode, go to sound options to turn off 3d audio, then turn off 3d video mode.

post #13995 of 14000 Old 06-16-2017, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Sounds like Y board...simple cheap fix. Haven't really heard of any other major problems with this TV.
some people suffered from vertical/horizontal lines and reported that here on avs
post #13996 of 14000 Old 06-21-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
anybody have issues connecting their f8500 to their wired network? the wifi has been as stable as any wifi i've ever had(which is frustratingly close to good enough), but i plugged in a network cable and it won't connect. been trying to troubleshoot, but can't really figure out where to point the finger. The tv/router are in very different locations, so running a second cable to test is really not doable. i had some issues with a miniPC hooked up to this network cable, but i had issues with that device everywhere. Was actually trying to connect the tv to confirm the ethernet cable was good. it connects to some things, but not everything.

it kind of seems like my router is picky, and any device that isn't "perfect" doesn't work with it. so it's tough to figure out if the router is the issue, or the device that won't connect to it is.

if this is a known issue, i won't really worry about it. but if not, it may help me narrow down my problem.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #13997 of 14000 Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Spoiler!

hard to say. I've had issues with samsungs in the past when installing them for a client and switching between wireless/wired, or even from one wireless to another. but at the same time, my experience tells me it could ALWAYS be the cable.

Home Theater: Samsung PN51F8500|Samsung TW-J5500|Panasonic DMP-UB900|Custom W10 HTPC running MPC-HC w/ LAV+madVR|Panamax M5400-PM|URC MX990 (WIP)

Gaming: Asus VG248QE|Custom W10 6700K+980Ti|J-Tech 5x1 HDMI switch|PS3 Original 60GB|PS Vita TV|Wii U|Schiit Jotunheim w/DAC|Sennheiser HD600 w/XLR4
post #13998 of 14000 Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:

hard to say. I've had issues with samsungs in the past when installing them for a client and switching between wireless/wired, or even from one wireless to another. but at the same time, my experience tells me it could ALWAYS be the cable.
yeah it's been a little tough to pin down.

the miniPC has been sketchy everywhere, i know it's not great. but the wifi on it was basically non-functioning, so i got one of those powerline kits and hooked it up to the router that way. seemed to do the trick and worked well for several months. then one day, it says i have IP conflicts, then a couple days later it's working again(without be doing anything). another month goes by, and the IP message pops up again, connected by no internet. this time it doesn't fix itself, but resetting the router and leaving the pc off for a few minutes does. then like a week later it happens again, and i can't fix it.

it's at that point i try troubleshooting, tried changing cables where i could, plugging the powerline kit into different outlets, nothing made any difference. then by fluke, my router got soaked, and i had to replace it. everything worked again with the new one. then a month later, IP conflict message comes up again, and at that point i basically gave up on the PC. this was the first time i tried plugging in the network cable to the tv, and it didn't work.

i've tried different network cables on both ends of the powerline kit. the cables work when connected to other devices, and the cables from those other devices don't work when connected to the powerline kit. the powerline kit seems to work when connected to other devices(i don't have many to check with though that aren't right by my router anyway)

basically i don't think it's wires, since they work in other locations, and all wires don't work in this location(that i've tried)
it could be the router, but it does connect to other devices(two other devices are using a wired connection and have not had any of these issues) and will connect to the miniPC with a short, direct run
it could be the miniPC/TV, as i'm not able to check the tv in a different location, and the miniPC has always been poor, but does connect with a short, direct run
it could be the powerline kit since the miniPC will connect without it, but other devices will work with the powerline kit

so basically, the miniPC(and now TV) don't work with my router and powerline kit in my living room. but seems like everything else works with the powerline kit in the living room, and the miniPC at least works in other locations without the powerline kit. i'll have to investigate more with the powerline kit when i get the chance. seems to be the only link between TV and miniPC not working

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #13999 of 14000 Old Today, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
anybody have issues connecting their f8500 to their wired network? the wifi has been as stable as any wifi i've ever had(which is frustratingly close to good enough), but i plugged in a network cable and it won't connect. been trying to troubleshoot, but can't really figure out where to point the finger. The tv/router are in very different locations, so running a second cable to test is really not doable. i had some issues with a miniPC hooked up to this network cable, but i had issues with that device everywhere. Was actually trying to connect the tv to confirm the ethernet cable was good. it connects to some things, but not everything.

it kind of seems like my router is picky, and any device that isn't "perfect" doesn't work with it. so it's tough to figure out if the router is the issue, or the device that won't connect to it is.

if this is a known issue, i won't really worry about it. but if not, it may help me narrow down my problem.
Are you using a CAT7 cable like the manual says?

FWIW, I don't have mine connected to my network.
post #14000 of 14000 Old Today, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

If you're going to use the wireless connection you may have better luck connecting to the 2.4 GHz band, which provides a stronger signal than the 5.0 GHz.

If you want to switch to Ethernet, I recommend rebooting the router to clear it's arp cache then do a factory reset for the PDP and run through the set-up wizard and select Ethernet for your network connection.

I'm assuming the cable & RJ-45 connectors are terminated properly & has been verified with a different device (e.g. laptop).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread