Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 470 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1266Likes

post #14071 of 14082 Old 10-03-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I bought 64F8500 in Oct 2013 and after nearly 4 years of flawless service it failed to power on. The early symptoms started 60 days ago: Intermittent shut-offs but the TV would restart almost immediately. Last week the TV began shutting down more frequently, the red LED stand-by light would remain unlit/off but after sitting awhile the it would light up and the TV would power on. Last Tuesday it shut down and the stand-by light never lit back up. I have an extended warranty from SquareTrade so I gave them a call. After discussing the symptoms with a tech he made arrangements for a local tech to stop by and said he would be mailing me parts to repair the set. Today the parts arrived, I was sent a complete power board along with what looks like an HDMI board. The tech is arriving tomorrow, hopefully they resurrect it. Pretty satisfied with SquareTrade so far, good service. The rep informed me my warranty expires on 10/18.....close call.
I WANT MORE, sschen, HLdan and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14072 of 14082 Old 10-04-2017, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4 View Post
I bought 64F8500 in Oct 2013 and after nearly 4 years of flawless service it failed to power on. The early symptoms started 60 days ago: Intermittent shut-offs but the TV would restart almost immediately. Last week the TV began shutting down more frequently, the red LED stand-by light would remain unlit/off but after sitting awhile the it would light up and the TV would power on. Last Tuesday it shut down and the stand-by light never lit back up. I have an extended warranty from SquareTrade so I gave them a call. After discussing the symptoms with a tech he made arrangements for a local tech to stop by and said he would be mailing me parts to repair the set. Today the parts arrived, I was sent a complete power board along with what looks like an HDMI board. The tech is arriving tomorrow, hopefully they resurrect it. Pretty satisfied with SquareTrade so far, good service. The rep informed me my warranty expires on 10/18.....close call.

If the repair successful - GREAT!

If it's not I'd maybe be very reluctant to leave the shipped spares in the display before further diagnostics. You want to retain your old parts and maybe the replacements until the repair is completed or there's been a resolution of the claim. Is the tech actually local to you or just a tech that might "travel" to your vicinity for repairs? If actually "local" great, if a traveling tech ask what ST might want to do if the repair isn't successful. You hang on to all parts I believe until repaired/resolved.

Post back the results for sure.
bmcn likes this.
post #14073 of 14082 Old 10-04-2017, 09:56 AM

Success! Tech's were local - might as well give them a plug - Schneider TV Repair. They are a Samsung authorized/approved shop, they even arrived in Samsung repair van. They had the cover off and replaced the big power supply board in a matter of minutes. TV powered right up. They checked the voltages on the test points and said everything tested perfect. No need to replace the HMDI board which they took back with them. They checked a few settings on the menu and luckily since they didn't replace the HDMI board I didn't lose my calibration. TV looks and works perfect. I called SquareTrade on Thursday afternoon, they scheduled service and ordered parts. Schneider TV confirmed appointment on Friday. Parts arrived on Tuesday, techs showed up as scheduled today(Wednesday). Very impressed and satisfied with both SquareTrade and the techs from Schneider TV, the entire experience could not have gone any better.

post #14074 of 14082 Old 10-07-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Liked: 2452
Quote:
Success! Tech's were local - might as well give them a plug - Schneider TV Repair. They are a Samsung authorized/approved shop, they even arrived in Samsung repair van. They had the cover off and replaced the big power supply board in a matter of minutes. TV powered right up. They checked the voltages on the test points and said everything tested perfect. No need to replace the HMDI board which they took back with them. They checked a few settings on the menu and luckily since they didn't replace the HDMI board I didn't lose my calibration. TV looks and works perfect. I called SquareTrade on Thursday afternoon, they scheduled service and ordered parts. Schneider TV confirmed appointment on Friday. Parts arrived on Tuesday, techs showed up as scheduled today(Wednesday). Very impressed and satisfied with both SquareTrade and the techs from Schneider TV, the entire experience could not have gone any better.
Did you get a look at the old PS board?

If so, did you notice capacitors with bulging tops, and possibly corrosive leaking?

UN65HU9000 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode. SDR Input at 1080P 60HZ 444. 4K separate HDMI input - Mine
UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN32EH5300 (On floor and up for sale) / 2 X LG 55LHXs / New addition UN40J5200AF - Wife's
PN64F8500 still up for sale
post #14075 of 14082 Old 10-07-2017, 06:19 PM

No, I never got a chance to look the old board over. The tech had old board out and the new one in so fast I that by the time I returned to the room they were powering the TV up. I did ask him if he saw any indication of what failed on the power board, he didn't give me anything specific back, only that when it goes bad it often takes the main board with it and I was lucky in that regard. I did ask him if he had run across any sets with Y board failures, he said no and that it was an uncommon failure in his experience. Odd, seems like there have been several owners here that have had Y boards with bad caps. Wish I had more info but at the time I was just happy the set was fixed and working again.
post #14076 of 14082 Old 10-07-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Liked: 2452
Quote:
No, I never got a chance to look the old board over. The tech had old board out and the new one in so fast I that by the time I returned to the room they were powering the TV up. I did ask him if he saw any indication of what failed on the power board, he didn't give me anything specific back, only that when it goes bad it often takes the main board with it and I was lucky in that regard. I did ask him if he had run across any sets with Y board failures, he said no and that it was an uncommon failure in his experience. Odd, seems like there have been several owners here that have had Y boards with bad caps. Wish I had more info but at the time I was just happy the set was fixed and working again.
New boards have a 90 day warranty?

UN65HU9000 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode. SDR Input at 1080P 60HZ 444. 4K separate HDMI input - Mine
UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN32EH5300 (On floor and up for sale) / 2 X LG 55LHXs / New addition UN40J5200AF - Wife's
PN64F8500 still up for sale
post #14077 of 14082 Old 10-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
New boards have a 90 day warranty?
I have no idea, good question, I'll find out.
post #14078 of 14082 Old 10-09-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
All of us who had Y boards with bad caps have long since moved onto other TVs after Samsung or third party services had to give us refunds because they couldn't fix our sets.
post #14079 of 14082 Old 10-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
All of us who had Y boards with bad caps have long since moved onto other TVs after Samsung or third party services had to give us refunds because they couldn't fix our sets.
All? It's just three caps and some solder. People are fixing them at home.
sickkent likes this.
post #14080 of 14082 Old 10-09-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Ickles View Post
All? It's just three caps and some solder. People are fixing them at home.
Then a substantial number.

I was one of many who went through:

1) Call Samsung or Best Buy
2) Watch as they literally replace every board but Y
3) No Y boards available
4) We’ll take the TV, here’s a full refund (including for the extended warranty, if any, from Best Buy.)

I don’t think the caps issue was discovered until about six months after my difficulties and caps work would have voided my factory and extended warranty.
post #14081 of 14082 Old 10-10-2017, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Then a substantial number.

I was one of many who went through:

1) Call Samsung or Best Buy
2) Watch as they literally replace every board but Y
3) No Y boards available
4) We’ll take the TV, here’s a full refund (including for the extended warranty, if any, from Best Buy.)

I don’t think the caps issue was discovered until about six months after my difficulties and caps work would have voided my factory and extended warranty.
Your particular set of circumstances I'm sure dictated that "you" move on and others that had BB GeekSquad also BUT I believe that most with other than GeekSquad took $$$$ settlements and did repairs locally. Much depends on the "when" and the extended warranties. Did you actually have BB? You didn't actually say yes but implied.

There certainly wasn't any Samsung support.

Last edited by WVZR1; 10-10-2017 at 03:53 AM.
post #14082 of 14082 Old 10-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I realize this is a PNxxf8500 thread, but I had the same symptoms as cardinal4 on a PN63c8000 with very low hours of usage. This was NOT a case of bad capacitors, but a bad transformer on the main power board. When I took the back off the TV and plugged it in, I could actually hear the sound of something frying/fizzing. Looking at one of the transformer from the underside after removing the board, I could see some burned connections. Not burned off, but certainly damaged. Simply a case of another bad/cheap part being used by Samsung, I suppose. Replaced the power board and all is well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page