Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2013, 08:29 AM
LJN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Q: Are the optical output from F8500 fixed level or volume controlled by the remote?
Thanks for your input and answer, Lennart

LJN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJN View Post

Q: Are the optical output from F8500 fixed level or volume controlled by the remote?
Thanks for your input and answer, Lennart
The optical volume is fixed and you will change it with your AVR or soundbar remote.
LJN likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth View Post

The ~5 year old 50" Samsung Series 5 plasma this F8500 replaced had absolutely no buzz at all....
That is intriguing to hear, but I have my doubts. There is a buzz frequency hearing test posted on the forum. I wonder if you've taken it to test your susceptibility to higher frequencies.
mo949 likes this.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

That is intriguing to hear, but I have my doubts. There is a buzz frequency hearing test posted on the forum. I wonder if you've taken it to test your susceptibility to higher frequencies.

If one went right up to the "old" "50" you could hear a very faint buzz - nothing a few feet away

Yes - I did a hearing test years ago, before investing a rather decent amount in my HT - as I always recommended in the past to my clients, before building HTs sound rooms etc
- I was able to hear in a much higher range than normal & with greater acuity & attenuation to db levels. (& did not have any distortion induced factors)

My wife is all but deaf in her right ear (facing the TV) & only has so so hearing in her left ear (away from TV) &
even she is annoyed by the F8500 buzzing during quieter periods during program watching...

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

This is a good one. 3000 Joules and has coax and telephone protection.
Watch the coax connection though as this can lead to video issues.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Looks like latest firmware bombed my internet connection. Had this problem when I first got my 64F8500 and 1104 corrected it. Samsung mailed me a thumbdrive with 1104 on it. I guess I need to load this back on. Anyone know why doing this might cause problems? My understanding of why I had this problem was because I use Cox Cable. My Blu-ray player accesses internet fine so I know its not my router.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 AM

just received my f8500 and the picture is great! its super bright for plasma and is good for viewing in the daytime. i have a question. should i update the firmware? my current version is 1110.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone run into an issue using Component inputs from their cable box while trying to watch a non-HD channel. See below for my set-up. I have my Pace ENG110 Comcast cable box hooked up on HDMI to my receiver, and component to the TV, the cable box only has one HDMI. I use the compoent in to the TV to watch TV when I don't want the entire home theater fired up.

When I am watching through the receiver, I can watch any channel on the cable box just fine, HD and non-HD channels, but on Component, as soon as I tune to a non-HD channel the screen half filles with what looks like a big band of gray static and then freezes and does nothing, the sound it fine. In my area HD are the non-hd channel number + 800, so channel 2 standard def is at 802 for HD and if I fliip between them, the HD always works in component and the SD always fails, this applies to all SD channels. This was not an issue on my last TV (Panasonic TH-50PZ85U).

Any idea's?

My Set-Up:
Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA -- TV (Firmware 1112)
Sony STR-DA2400ES -- Reciever (HDMI > TV)
Panasonic BDT-210 - Blu-Ray Plater (HDMI > Rcvr)
Pace ENG110 - Comcast Cable Box (HDMI > Rcvr and Component > TV)
Brite-View - Remote HDMI (PC to Rcvr) Only used when putting my HTPC on the TV (HDMI > Rcvr)
Sony DVP-CX995V - DVD Changer (HDMI > Rcvr)
HP Pavilion h8se - HTPC (HDMI > Brite-View)
Ceton InfiniTV Tuner w/Comcast Cable Card - (Tuner in HTPC)
Old 09-24-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilacek View Post

I am also having totally unacceptable buzzing problems.

If I sit on my couch in the center of the screen, about 12 feet away, I hear extremely annoying buzz that I can distinguish over almost any show/movie/game unless the volume is way louder than I would ever normally use. Browsing SmartHub, or during anything quiet, the buzz is so loud and annoying that I will deliberately switch seats to one on the far left or right to avoid hearing it. If I stand up from my normal couch position, the buzz is completely gone. I can't hear it anywhere else in the room either. In fact, it is quieter when putting my head directly behind the TV than it is 12ft away on the couch.

Do you guys recommend exchanging this or should I give up on this unit and go with Panasonic plasma or LED? I really like this TV other than the buzzing, but it is becoming intolerable for me. All of my guests have heard it too when I told them where to sit.

The only other problem I have with this TV is some sort of flickering when there is a large region of white on the screen. This reminds of an old CRT monitor with the refresh rate set too low (which no one else ever seemed to notice); I can't really describe it, but I think people will know what I am talking about. None of the motion judder settings alleviate this.

You shoudl dump it like a hot rock, I just had to do that with a Panisonic ZT60, and it broke my heart to have to do it but it makes a woo-woo-woo fan noise that would have driven me crazt and 600 messages deep on this forum and guys are still trying to solve the problem. This is why I now have the Samasun F8500 and my, which I just got last weekend is dead quiet, you literally have to put your ear within an incude of the back of the panel to hear the normal Plasma power buzz, but one step in front and it is gone, it is about the same as my old 50" pani.

As to what you should do, if you are at all like my you will never get used to and regret not returning it far more than any momentary regret you feel right now, I would be just like the die hards on the Pani "refridgerator" Fan noise thread and trying everything under the sun and then some, who needs that when you drop 3 or 4 grand on a TV, that sucker should be perfect or darn close to it.

Makes me a little angry they they are all just letting Panasonic walk all over them, stuffing the unit with a bucks worth of foam tape and asking them to eat the difference. Had everyone who bought a noisy Pani ZT returned it, Panasonic would have fixed the problem and life would be good, accepting bad products hurts all customers and only benfits the makers.

Hit them where it hurts and never look back is my approach on high end products, I cut a lot of slack on cheap junk but we are not talking cheap junk here these are their flagship TV's why would anyone accept a buzz or a fan noise with this kind of expense...

My 2 cents worth.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 206
When a flat panel tv requires a fan for thermal cooling, I call that a bad design. Are heat sinks and air vents not sufficient for a 2" wide display?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

When a flat panel tv requires a fan for thermal cooling, I call that a bad design. Are heat sinks and air vents not sufficient for a 2" wide display?

I am not familiar enough with the contraints to agree or disagree with that comment, however I do know Panasonic does know how to deploy fans with Plasma TV;s without noise, my old set was a pani with 4 fans, about the only way to know if one was running would be to stick your finger in it.

So bad on them either way, but why are consumers letting them get away with it, usually guys on forums like this are pretty tough but these guys are letting Pani walk all over them, evne here, why on earth is anyone debating returning a $3,000 TV that buzzes? Blew me away that it was even a question.

If we can't count onthe die hards to keep these vendors honest all hope is lost to see quality products at the top end.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:42 PM

Liked: 13
My 64" does NOT buzz at all. I have asked several people if they here any buzz (in an otherwise silent room) coming from the TV just to make sure it wasn't me. No one can hear anything coming from my TV with the sound muted. I've had my set since May and have had zero physical defects. I had to do a factory restore on the software once because I kept getting a message that the TV was going to turn of in 60 sec to save power out of the blue. Even Sammy couldn't figure that one out, they had my do the factory reset and all has been fine for about a month now.
shpankey likes this.

PN64F8500 PLASMA

BD-F7500 BLU-RAY

RX-V673 AVR

Comcast X1 STB

Harmony One Remote

Saving my pennies for decent speakers...
Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 PM

Could an update from samsung correct the input lag on this Tv, i thought i read somewhere in one of these threads some one said it did
Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post

Could an update from samsung correct the input lag on this Tv, i thought i read somewhere in one of these threads some one said it did

Did you try the PC input? I'm using it to play GTA V and don't see or feel the input lag at all.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 AM

Wow what a set this is, im very impressed by the picture quality even just watching HD cable and HBO GO. I look forward to checking out some blurays soon. I have been running HBO over night and during the day while I am at work at lower contrast and brightness settings to advance the panel age. I have indeed noticed the buzz on my set, its quite high pitched, but I think its just being amplified by my unfortunate corner of the room setup. I only notice it at very odd angles, specifically focused in the opposite corner of the room that the TV is facing. I think I might need to invest in an audio absorbing panel to square off each corner of my living room to solve it.

To continue the current conversation on input lag, how do you get to the PC mode ive seen mentioned? You have to "rename" an input to activate it? I noticed only a slight bit of lag playing a music timing type game but nothing bothering enough to ruin the experience. Although some more performance wouldn't be a bad idea. Really loving this TV, thanks for all the replies thus far.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

1) So bad on them either way, but why are consumers letting them get away with it, usually guys on forums like this are pretty tough but these guys are letting Pani walk all over them, evne here, why on earth is anyone debating returning a $3,000 TV that buzzes? Blew me away that it was even a question.

2) If we can't count onthe die hards to keep these vendors honest all hope is lost to see quality products at the top end.

1)
- Because changing to another set might end up resulting in a noisier set or exchanging buzz noise for fan noise mad.gif

2)
- I think that point/battle has been lost already mostly in favour of the profit only, bottom line fixated corporations - Samsung has had & has known about their plasma buzz issue since at least 2009.
Ford set the bar 50+ years ago, with their exploding gas tank issues, that killed & maimed people, deciding that spending $60 million to settle lawsuits,
was better than doing a $100+ million dollar recall. eek.gif

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
Old 09-25-2013, 05:31 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

1)
- Because changing to another set might end up resulting in a noisier set or exchanging buzz noise for fan noise mad.gif

2)
- I think that point/battle has been lost already mostly in favour of the profit only, bottom line fixated corporations - Samsung has had & has known about their plasma buzz issue since at least 2009.
Ford set the bar 50+ years ago, with their exploding gas tank issues, that killed & maimed people, deciding that spending $60 million to settle lawsuits,
Based on my experience I would say definitely try to exchange if possible. For me the vt60 had a very annoying fan noise, I swapped it with another vt60 which had the exact same issue. That gave me confirmation that the issue was not with the specific unit I had and so I switched to the f8500 and hear zero noise/buzzing. So glad I switched, the fan noise would have driven me nuts after a while. Of course YMMV smile.gif
Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:

1)

2)

Interesting, so the reason not to return a defective product is that you might get a worse defective product, holy smokes these vendors have really done some outstanding customer management, I guess that is cheaper than building a product that works properly. I have no shame is sending things back.

The bar is not set on a 50 year old issue, the bar is set with position such as the one you stated, there is a Samsung executive doing the Snoopy dance all the way to the bank with his/her bonus for convicing people that an audible buzz that disrupts your show is acceptable and people will not exchange or return it our of fear of doing worse.

As soon as people stop accepting it, it stops. I sent the ZT60 back and got the F8500 and it worok out very well, sure I could have got a buzzer I guess and it would have gone back also, but it was really no skin off my nose to keep returning them, it was all free to me, I suspect BestBuy may have a bone to pick with Panasonic, the sales guy never told me anything bad about the ZT60 but the delivery guy that picked it said it was the 3rd on this month he picked up.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In fairness all the ZTs do not have excessive fan noise. There are lots of people who are happy with them and they arent all people who have just decided to let Panasonic step all over them.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

In fairness all the ZTs do not have excessive fan noise. There are lots of people who are happy with them and they arent all people who have just decided to let Panasonic step all over them.

I was not referring to folks happy with the TV, but the many very unhappy people here complaining but not returning, had mine had not made fan noise it certainly would not have gone back. Seems just like this set, some people have a set that buzzes real loud, and like the fan noise people, they are for some reason putting up with it or debating the return, this is the crowd I am talking about.

It does no one any favors to accept poor products.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

It does no one any favors to accept poor products.
I agree. If I had any reasonable problem at all I would return immediately without even asking for advice. Especially such high dollar items as this.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
^^^ That is correct, we have had 4 complaints on fan noise out of about 200 VT60 and ZT60 sold. That is not many. 2% ratio....Of course there is a fix for it as well.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ That is correct, we have had 4 complaints on fan noise out of about 200 VT60 and ZT60 sold. That is not many. 2% ratio....Of course there is a fix for it as well.

You might note that the panasonic fix is not a complete fix, at least according to the forums, it is still an issue after the fix, just less of an issue. The other thing I have noticed on Amazon, BestBuy, cNet, and here is that no one to date has had success with a replacement. One of the AVS members has now swapped out 5 ZT60 sets.

Beleive me I did not go into dropping 4 grand on a TV to return it, especially with how stunning the picture was right out of the box.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

BTW -- While I have you, perhaps you can answer a question on the Samsung for me... I have a Comcast cable box (Pace ENG 110) which has and HDMI and component outputs. I have the HDMI going to the the AVR for Home Theater and the component to the F8500 component input on the TV with just L/R audio on the RCA connection.

When I select component on the F8500 and the cable box is tuned to a High Def channel it works great, however if I tune the cable box to a standard def channel, the screen shows a big splash of gray noise and then freezes, the audio keeps going fine. As soon as I tune back to High Def the picture pops right back.

If I do the same thing over the HDMI through the receiver to the TV or directly HDMI from the cable box to the TV, both High Def and Standard Def work fine, it only has an issue with SD over component.

Do you have any idea why this might be happening or if there is a work-around short of finding a way to get 2 HDMI outputs from my 1 HDMI cable box?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 551
That sounds like an issue with the resolutions you have selected on the cable box is it set to native and is 480i selected ?

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

That sounds like an issue with the resolutions you have selected on the cable box is it set to native and is 480i selected ?

Ahh, I have not looked at the cable box, not sure if anything can be set but I will look when I get home tonight, it was not an issue with the ZT60 or my prior TV so I guess I assumed it was the TV.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Possibly just an idea, maybe something quirky about Samsungs component connection, hope you get if figured out smile.gif

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3d View Post

To continue the current conversation on input lag, how do you get to the PC mode ive seen mentioned? You have to "rename" an input to activate it? I noticed only a slight bit of lag playing a music timing type game but nothing bothering enough to ruin the experience. Although some more performance wouldn't be a bad idea. Really loving this TV, thanks for all the replies thus far.

Select Source, then Tools, then EDIT NAME, then scroll down until you see PC. You know you're in this mode if many of the picture options are grayed out. This should cut your response time from 110 ms or so to 53 ms. It's pretty much imperceptible to me.
grant3d likes this.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

Based on my experience I would say definitely try to exchange if possible. For me the vt60 had a very annoying fan noise, I swapped it with another vt60 which had the exact same issue. That gave me confirmation that the issue was not with the specific unit I had and so I switched to the f8500 and hear zero noise/buzzing. So glad I switched, the fan noise would have driven me nuts after a while. Of course YMMV smile.gif

Since the new batch of sets came in Tuesday, & I went in to test another, I arranged to dump this angry beehive set for another from the dealers, in the next day or 2

I put an SPL meter up to that set & here are the differences

My beehive set: 1" from screen 80db; at 36" 64db; at 11-12ft 41db

Replacement set there is also a buzz, but: 1" from screen 64db; at 36" 51db; beyond that it drops off to below SPL reading capabilities (50db)

I will hear what happens when the set is installed here at home...

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
Old 09-25-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Possibly just an idea, maybe something quirky about Samsungs component connection, hope you get if figured out smile.gif

Thanks, I am sure I will, it looks like compoent does not support 480i, I tried Samsung on-line support and I might as well have been speaking Latin, to be fair I had not expected it to be solved by 1st level support but sort of hoped they could move it to second level, I am not familiar with Samsungs support process, so I get that figured out also. Do you know which path gets you/your issue to a tech, email of phone and is there any other support channels?

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv