Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

Is there something else you can suggest to see the issue, I have read a number of professional reviews and seen this issue mentioned in many of them but I don't see any effects like you mention using a Panasonic Blu-Ray and movies like Star Trek into the Darkness and the other extreme for % of screen in motion was Cars in the close ups. I am not doubting you but I have not been able to see it so far.

I'll play with it some more this weekend, when all was said and done in my tune I have it off and things look very smooth to me, but I may not know how to look for it.

i wonder what FW update the professional reviews had in place at the time of those review? i dont seem to have the issues either, but may just be same as you. it may be there and im just not looking for it! or if it is its not blatantly obvious to me.

Samsung PN51F8500 ~ Marantz SR5008 ~ Oppo BDP 103D ~ EMP Tek R55TiB LR, R56CiB, R55WiB ~ Sennheiser Momentum ~ Sennheiser 598
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

In fact, the Sammy's haloing is worse than the Sony's and includes occasional image breakup. With the Sony, the walking person was always clear. If they were walking past a fence or lots of bushes, they remained sharp and clear, but there would occasionally be a blurred halo around them as the complex background moved past. With the Sammy, the walking person's image occasionally breaks up.

Same on the F8000. I've never seen this before. Haloing is common but the picture breaking up is a first. It's strange that the PDP has the same issue as the LCD. It has to be the algorithm. If I turn to any amount of dejudder the image will eventually break. If I turn it off there will be judder. Did you watch much 3D on this set with dejudder enabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBook Pro View Post

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get blurays to run smoothly. I have an oppo 103 directly connected to the 60f8500 via HDMI 3. I'm using avengers and oblivion for reference material and in very situation I'm finding tearing and blur.

As I Understand it, there's a defect in the way the f8500 handles 24p material due to a mismatching of frames 24 vs 23.97 etc.

Can anyone confirm this is still a problem? Are all TVs affected by this issue or a this just a plasma thing or a samsung thing or simply exclusive to this model.

Am I missing something critical? I'd love to smooth everything out with this dang bluray situation.

I can confirm the same thing happens on the F8000 so it's not limited to plasma.

BTW sorry for intruding on the plasma thread wink.gif
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

Same on the F8000. I've never seen this before. Haloing is common but the picture breaking up is a first. It's strange that the PDP has the same issue as the LCD. It has to be the algorithm. If I turn to any amount of dejudder the image will eventually break. If I turn it off there will be judder. Did you watch much 3D on this set with dejudder enabled?
I can confirm the same thing happens on the F8000 so it's not limited to plasma.

BTW sorry for intruding on the plasma thread wink.gif

Very much appreciated actually.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

i wonder what FW update the professional reviews had in place at the time of those review? i dont seem to have the issues either, but may just be same as you. it may be there and im just not looking for it! or if it is its not blatantly obvious to me.

I wonder if to me it is just not a norm and I am conditioned to see it as normal. Isn't 3:2 pulldown common for movies on TV so while I may "see" it, I may not be perceiving it? Perhaps I have Brain De-Judder 1.0 enabled...

The one thing I am almost certain of is that the picture is not breaking up, that is something I am very senstive to, I see it on my HTPC if I do something intense on the same disk I am reading from to watch a show.

Given the kind of revenue these guys pull in from people buying their movies one would think they would work a little harder and finding an effective solution to Movie screen to TV screen compatibility now that TV's are so robust. This forced artistic purity is really wearing thin, can you image if the music industry locked out tone control to keep the producer happy...
Old 10-04-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

In fact, the Sammy's haloing is worse than the Sony's and includes occasional image breakup. With the Sony, the walking person was always clear. If they were walking past a fence or lots of bushes, they remained sharp and clear, but there would occasionally be a blurred halo around them as the complex background moved past. With the Sammy, the walking person's image occasionally breaks up.

Yes, I use dejudder for everything. I'm one of those folks who REALLY dislikes 24fps judder. When I watched The Hobbit in 48fps 3D, I'm one of the folks who DEFINITELY feels it's a move in the right direction. I'm hoping that higher frame rates become more common in the near future. I'm sick of the juddering and artificial blurring that results from the low 24 frames per second rate.

The dejudder on 3D helps a bit, but it's also not consistent.

Max
Old 10-04-2013, 01:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

Honestly, you're remarks are just so far off of everyone else's Todd that it makes me think you may have some kind of defective panel. I mean, when you say it lacks "brightness" that right there is a red flag something is wrong w/ your set. This tv is known for it's almost LED levels of brightness and by far and away smokes all other plasma's in this regard. I'm with the above post, maybe eco sensor is on or you may need to do the eco sensor trick. In fact, I think that may just be it, as your comments sound the same as those people who needed to do the trick to get the panel's brightness right. But you should see all those same posters AFTER they did the trick and how they rave. I think you either have a bad set or are one of the handful that needs to do the eco sensor trick to get your panel working right.

What is the eco sensor trick? When set to 'on' the image is too dim during the day. At night it works well. Im just trying to get this too work correctly and give me more brightness during daylight.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodri02 View Post

What is the eco sensor trick?

My local link to florida man's "eco sensor trick" Copy and paste the URL into your browser, or just click this link...

Some expressed confusion regarding the specifics of floridaman's reply in this post, but nobody was disappointed when they performed the correct steps! floridaman nailed this one, so he has a place in the top 5 of my "F8500 Hall of Fame".
Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FINAL (?) UPDATE

Since the new batch of sets came in Tuesday, & I went in to test another,
I arranged to dump this angry beehive set for another from the dealers, in the next day or 2

I put an SPL meter up to that set & here are the differences

My beehive set: 1" from screen 80db; at 36" 64db; at 11-12ft 41db

Replacement set there is also a buzz, but: 1" from screen 64db; at 36" 51db; beyond that it drops off to below SPL reading capabilities (50db)

I will hear what happens when the set is installed here at home...

However, as I previously reported, the owner wasn't satisfied with the 2nd in-store set, as a replacement for my buzzer,

I told him at this stage I am willing to try it anyway - so the swap occurred yesterday afternoon.

Well!! - this one is a keeper... biggrin.gif unless the buzzing gets louder, as some have reported

Not only is the buzzing less loud, it is also at a lower frequency,
- so unless I (& the Mrs ) strain to hear it, it is essentially quite.

Nice to watch a show like Real Time without the angry beehive disturbing the show!

Also, when the wife goes to bed & I turn down the volume on the AVR - I now cannot hear the buzzing

This has now jaded me (& my AV store owner friend) concerning Samsung products &
customer (dis)service mad.gif

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
Old 10-06-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:

you might want to try,but as far as i know, it is U.S. only. tho its possible that has changed since july, im not sure. sorry i cant be of more help!

I chatted with a Samsung rep on the Canadian site and they said no such deal is available for Canada and to try calling customer service. Personally, I feel this is unfair as us Canadians pay the same premium for this flagship tv just like everyone else therefore we should all qualify to receive the standard IR remote as well.

Also, is the latest firmware 1112? Because the Samsung website has only 1111.4 available for download... Strange.

TBMOTORING.COM - Thunder Bay Automotive Enthusiast Club
Old 10-06-2013, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post

Quote:

you might want to try,but as far as i know, it is U.S. only. tho its possible that has changed since july, im not sure. sorry i cant be of more help!

I chatted with a Samsung rep on the Canadian site and they said no such deal is available for Canada and to try calling customer service. Personally, I feel this is unfair as us Canadians pay the same premium for this flagship tv just like everyone else therefore we should all qualify to receive the standard IR remote as well.

Also, is the latest firmware 1112? Because the Samsung website has only 1111.4 available for download... Strange.

i agree and think it is pretty crappy of them. why does it matter where you live?? you paid for the set just like we did.... makes no sense. frown.gif

dont know about the current FW numbers. i havent checked to update mine since the previous security update, 1108 i think.

Samsung PN51F8500 ~ Marantz SR5008 ~ Oppo BDP 103D ~ EMP Tek R55TiB LR, R56CiB, R55WiB ~ Sennheiser Momentum ~ Sennheiser 598
Old 10-06-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:

That is really odd, why would where someone lives make any difference to their remote control needs. Mine came with both and not as an after thought, it came in a nice black box that had a side for the new remote and one for the old one in one box.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I could get a free extra one and donate it to a Candian in need smile.gif

Personally I can't imagine only having the new remote, it is good for navigating with a pointer, but a pain for most things, I am old school on remotes, I like a buttom per feature no matter how long it needs to be.
MarcGSR likes this.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:07 AM

Is the blue color cloth provided use for cleaning the panel or the TV bezel ?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

Is the blue color cloth provided use for cleaning the panel or the TV bezel ?
Yes

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 AM

So is it for the screen or the frame only?
Old 10-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Liked: 14
Guys after 1110.2 eu update on my 64F8500 i have some slight moving horizontal bands across the screen especially in low light settings (cell light below 17 and contrast below 80)! Whats going on? Have you noticed something similar? Can i downgrade a firmware and go to the previous?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 PM

When connecting to hdmi one and changing the name to PC for gaming is there a loss in picture quality. I currently have everything going through my receiver and using out of the box movie settings with a few tweaks, what do you guys suggest to try and keep that same picture on PC settings trying to get everything in line for next month thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post

Guys after 1110.2 eu update on my 64F8500 i have some slight moving horizontal bands across the screen snip by W&W Can i downgrade a firmware and go to the previous?

IMO, this is a classic case of CONTACT SAMSUNG SUPPORT and do it now!

Insist that they either downgrade remotely or show you how to do it yourself, because it sure as heck can't be done "normally". Even with the older FW on a USB drive, you cannot get the TV to accept an older version of FW without support's intervention. Maybe not even then.

When you do this, please make certain they document to your satisfaction that the current FW entailed undesirable side affects. DO NOT LET THEM BLOW YOU OFF!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 AM

For those that asked before, I posted my settings for Movie Mode here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467675/f8500-recommended-settings-thread/1290
Old 10-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can someone tell me what the gamma is in movie mode out of the box and how to get a proper 2.4 gamma if it isn't already there.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

So is it for the screen or the frame only?
The cloth will work on both. They are super soft, kinda like how your "avatar" looks tongue.gif
Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 PM

I unlocked cal-night and cal-day in the service menu and I have about 30 hours on the panel so far. My firmware is 1112. I am extremely please with the picture of this set so far. One thing I did notice (I hope this helps someone out) is that there were a vertical and horizontal line of pixels at the edge of the screen that wasn't displaying any picture - and over time it would increase from just one line to a few lines. This ended up being the pixel shift option in the menu to prevent burn in (enabled by default). I disabled it and BOOM picture all the way to the very edge!

Finally, my only complaint so far is I'm experiencing some dithering (noticeable green with some faint red pixel dancing) in black parts of the picture. It is only noticeable when you get right up to the screen (1-2 ft) but from my seating position I cannot tell. Will this hurt my panel??? And how can I fix it without crushing blacks?

Old 10-08-2013, 12:37 AM

Sorry to drop in but I am about to buy the 64" F8500 but concerned about the vertical viewing angle. What are your thoughts if I am sitting 8.5ft away with the top of my head aligned with the bottom of the screen?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRookie View Post

Sorry to drop in but I am about to buy the 64" F8500 but concerned about the vertical viewing angle. What are your thoughts if I am sitting 8.5ft away with the top of my head aligned with the bottom of the screen?
If your neck doesn't complain, the picture quality should be fine.Is there a dealer where you can see for yourself?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
firmware 1112?
what it's ?
What improves?
Why Samsung site no explanation?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:16 AM

I'll go later this week and sit on the ground 8 ft away. Hope they don't have Justin bieber playing at the time.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRookie View Post

Solution: Swivel/angle mount

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 AM

TechRookie, you should be fine as long as your not sitting super close to the TV. Or as others have said, get a mount with tilt so you can angle the set down.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

I unlocked cal-night and cal-day in the service menu and I have about 30 hours on the panel so far. My firmware is 1112. I am extremely please with the picture of this set so far. One thing I did notice (I hope this helps someone out) is that there were a vertical and horizontal line of pixels at the edge of the screen that wasn't displaying any picture - and over time it would increase from just one line to a few lines. This ended up being the pixel shift option in the menu to prevent burn in (enabled by default). I disabled it and BOOM picture all the way to the very edge!

Finally, my only complaint so far is I'm experiencing some dithering (noticeable green with some faint red pixel dancing) in black parts of the picture. It is only noticeable when you get right up to the screen (1-2 ft) but from my seating position I cannot tell. Will this hurt my panel??? And how can I fix it without crushing blacks?

I was able to pick my nose from 1-2ft away. iow, yes dithering exists at that distance perfectly normal.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 10-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Just brought home my 64F8500 and noticed there was a Firmware update to 1112. Anyone know what changes 1112 brings? On samsung.com only 1111.4 is available to download.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 AM

This firmware update will improve the following:

- Soves swipe motion could not move the picture to next picture.

- Solves Network Connection issue with Wireless router.

- Solves Brightness Popping issue.

- Improves picture quality.

- Supports more MSO in OnTV feature.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature.

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread