Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 6515 Old 10-19-2013, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
^ Some things to try:

Plug player directly into TV
Try different HDMI cable(s)
Check for new FW on player

Sent using ThisisCrap 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 6515 Old 10-19-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ Some things to try:

Thanks, not sure why but connecting them directly fixed it and they are now working in their original config with all the same cables and settings.

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE
post #1893 of 6515 Old 10-19-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAsnake View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

^ Some things to try:

Thanks, not sure why but connecting them directly fixed it and they are now working in their original config with all the same cables and settings.
One possibility is that you have a configuration problem in your Denon AVR, or a problem somewhere in the HDMI chain from your player through your AVR to your TV.
post #1894 of 6515 Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

If there is any possible bright side, the remote should not cost much to buy out right......

I have my regular IR remote from my Sammy PN50B850 that works and which I used to get in to the service menu to activate cal-night and cal-day however for people that don't have an old remote kicking around, plus it's just PRINCIPAL =P if some TV's shipped with the standard IR remote in the box and other can get them sent free, why should everyone else get the short end of the stick lol boo-urns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

I have a Sony STR-DA2800ES and go from the HDMI 3 on the TV that is labeled (ARC) and have that in the receiver in the TV HDMI also labled ARC, only one HDMI seems to support ARC on this receiver, if I put it in anyother HDMI, ARC does not work. So it might be in your receiver. You might also make sure you are using a reasonable high speed HDMI cable, I amusing Amazon Basics High Speed / 3D rated cable, I did try an older HDMI cable since it was there for the old TV but it did not work. AnyNet must be on and I can't recall it at the moment but it seems something else had to be enabled that was defaulted to off on the TV.

The receiver is new also, my old receiver did not support 3D pass through or HDMI passthough with the receiver off, or ARC, but it really works well, it is nice to not have to cable in audio or and not have to have my STB go to the receiver and TV anymore.

I have my system hooked up with quality Blue Jeans Cable high speed HDMI - from HDMI 3 (ARC) port on the TV to HDMI OUT (ARC) on my Yamaha YSP-2200. AnyNet+ is enable on the TV and HDMI Control is enabled on the YSP-2200. It is talking because I can turn the volume up and down on my AVR with my TV, BELL, or AVR remote and it will display the AnyNet+ icon on the TV screen.

It does exhibit some strange behaviour though -

1) turning the AVR on will not turn the TV on (should it?)

2) turning the TV on will turn the AVR on (seems normal)

3) turning the TV off will not turn the AVR off (should it?)

4) turning the AVR off first, the TV remains on while the AVR pass the video signal to TV (I can still view video on the TV from whatever source the AVR was last on when I shut it off

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

Not sure if im allowed to post ghis here, but I might be an owner soon. Can any of you owners comment on the dither on these sets? Do you see a lot of it? When I bought my panasonic 65vt60 (that I might be swapping for a 64f8500) I was also looking at the f8500. I noticed quite a bit more dither on the f8500. I'm not sure if it was just on that particular set or maybe I saw it more due to the increased brightness? Thanks guys.

The dither is fine, I only notice mine on black or dark scenes if I'm within a foot of the screen. From my viewing area it's unnoticeable. This is normal for plasma tech from what I've been told and researched. The only reason I don't think I noticed on my last plasma tv (also a Sammy) was because I haven't analyzed the picture as closely as I have now since getting this beautiful F8500 series =)

TBMOTORING.COM - Thunder Bay Automotive Enthusiast Club
post #1895 of 6515 Old 10-20-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

LOL -- Glad to hear we are not the only ones, this is the only downside of this stand design, our cat likes fitting himself in the curve all kinds of ways.
Wall mounting has many advantages and is easy to do......
post #1896 of 6515 Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

One possibility is that you have a configuration problem in your Denon AVR, or a problem somewhere in the HDMI chain from your player through your AVR to your TV.

So this is becoming a pain, sometimes everything works fine (normally after unplugging and replugging the cables) but most of the time it's just not working. I have found post around AVS about some Denon's having issues with the F8500 so I'll use it as an excuse to get a new receiver with more HDMI ports. Is it defiantly just Denon's that the F8500 has had trouble with?

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE
post #1897 of 6515 Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

So this is becoming a pain, sometimes everything works fine (normally after unplugging and replugging the cables) but most of the time it's just not working. I have found post around AVS about some Denon's having issues with the F8500 so I'll use it as an excuse to get a new receiver with more HDMI ports. Is it defiantly just Denon's that the F8500 has had trouble with?

Can't speak for all brands/models but it works fine with the Sony STR-DA2800ES and the STR-DA1800ES. I upgraded receivers when I got this TV, my old one did not support 3D passthough, but other than 3D my old Sony worked fine also, which was a DA2400ES.
post #1898 of 6515 Old 10-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Wall mounting has many advantages and is easy to do......

Alas, my significant other likes to rearrange to room too often to make on the wall work, sigh.
post #1899 of 6515 Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcGSR View Post

It does exhibit some strange behaviour though -

1) turning the AVR on will not turn the TV on (should it?)
2) turning the TV on will turn the AVR on (seems normal)
3) turning the TV off will not turn the AVR off (should it?)
4) turning the AVR off first, the TV remains on while the AVR pass the video signal to TV (I can still view video on the TV from whatever source the AVR was last on when I shut it off

1 -- This is the same as mine, turning the AVR on does not turn on the TV
2 -- Same with mine, turn on the TV it turns on the AVR which is not what I wanted but is fine
3 -- When I turn off the TV, it turns off the AVR, and I do like that
4 -- Same, I turn off the receiver and it goes into pass through mode and is nice, would be nicer if it defaulted to the STB

As to what it "should" do seems very convoluted, neither the Sony AVR manual or the F8500 manual was clear on this at all.

BTW -- I have the TV guide / Remote control STB feature turned off, I could not stand that dropped HDMI error message that lingers for 30 seconds or until you clear it.
post #1900 of 6515 Old 10-21-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Another source of problems that might relate to what you are experiencing is the HDMI connections. Any stress on a connection in a complete HDMI chain can cause intermittent problems. If your HDMI cables are heavy and/or they have sharp bends near a connection that could be a problem.
post #1901 of 6515 Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM

Anyone have issues to set the time zone on the set? My clock settings for time zone and daylight saving are grayed out and I cannot find a way to change that. I went back through the initial setup where you enter your zip code thinking that would help setting the right zone but mine is stuck on EST. Might not be very important but is annoying.
post #1902 of 6515 Old 10-22-2013, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ola67 View Post

Anyone have issues to set the time zone on the set? My clock settings for time zone and daylight saving are grayed out and I cannot find a way to change that. I went back through the initial setup where you enter your zip code thinking that would help setting the right zone but mine is stuck on EST. Might not be very important but is annoying.

Set it to manual and make your changes. This is done from SYSTEM MENU -> TIME -> CLOCK. When you switch back to CLOCK MODE AUTO, the clock should be correct. FWIW, my DST is OFF even though DST is still in effect here. YMMV.
post #1903 of 6515 Old 10-25-2013, 02:27 PM

As far as discussion of the ABL issue people are having with the set, I am experiencing this too. I've updated to 1112 and still seem to be having this issue. I don't much watch anything in 3D but am experiencing this with 2D. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable it within the service menu of the television itself? I was looking around earlier but wasn't 100% on what was in there and didn't want to mess anything up.

post #1904 of 6515 Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Given its unusually curved back, how close can the the F8500 be safely mounted to the wall? I just wall mounted my newly acquired PN51 F8500 using my existing SANUS LL11 mount. I notice that there is only 10mm of space between the top of the TV and the wall mount. This is closer then my previous plasma, because the F8500 is vertically concave in the back.

Is this ok? Will I run into ventilation problems?

Alex
post #1905 of 6515 Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Liked: 35
On the subject of PNxxF8500 wall mounting:

I have read in the Evolution Kit thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450292/official-samsung-smart-tv-evolution-kit-thread posts from owners who were concerned about high temperatures behind their wall mounted sets after Evo Kit installation.

When wall mounting an F8500, you will want to have space for adding an Evo Kit when they become available for the F8500 series. The Evo Kit contains its own cpu and it is mounted over the F8500 set's cpu so there is a lot of heat being generated in a small area. See picture of installed Evo Kit in first post at above link.
post #1906 of 6515 Old 10-28-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post

On the subject of PNxxF8500 wall mounting:

I have read in the Evolution Kit thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450292/official-samsung-smart-tv-evolution-kit-thread owners who were concerned about high temperatures behind their wall mounted sets after Evo Kit installation.

When wall mounting an F8500, you will want to have space for adding an Evo Kit when they become available for the F8500 series. The Evo Kit contains its own cpu and it is mounted over the F8500 set's cpu so there is a lot of heat being generated in a small area.

Thanks JR. I can always add a spacer (ie thick washer) to my current mount. So if I were to decide to buy an Evo Kit I could add the washers then.

Alex
post #1907 of 6515 Old 10-29-2013, 03:42 PM

Liked: 11

Hi everyone,

I will get the 64F8500 tomorrow and wondering what to do with the initial break-in settings?

The ultimate fact is that a new plasma (coming from a Philips 6 year old) will take some attention to all.

As I am a gadget freak coming from a long time back to video, my question is: What to do in the first 100-200 hours of usage?

As far as I looked at previous messages, this was not mentioned clearly...

Tom

post #1908 of 6515 Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am really interested in purchasing the F8500, i currently have the F8000 and like it but am not completely happy with the picture, viewing angles and light bleeding (helped with Smart Led on). One of the biggest things holding me back from pulling the trigger is the input lag? Input lag onThe F8000 was actuallty not noticible when game mode on and with the newest firmware update. I would be happy if i can at least have a similar expierence as the F8000.

Has anyone had any experiences with input lag with the newer update on the F8500? Is it the same, worse or Any improvement? I usually play COD, Battlefield, FIFA and GTAV type games, i would really appreciate any feed back i can get regarding this. I would like to exchange this tv on Thursday and that is the last issue holding me back.

2 Definitive Technology ST-L Fronts, CS-8080HD center channel, Gem XL rears, SuperCube 8000 subwoofer, Marantz SR-7008 , and Sony KDL-55w900a
post #1909 of 6515 Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM

Ive got a 60" 8500 on the way, I think its two weeks out still but I am going to use it for gaming and as soon as I get it set up I will report back. I don't play COD but do play a lot of fighting games so input lag is a concern for me as well, but I figure for casual gaming and movies it'll be great
post #1910 of 6515 Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robt81 View Post

Ive got a 60" 8500 on the way, I think its two weeks out still but I am going to use it for gaming and as soon as I get it set up I will report back. I don't play COD but do play a lot of fighting games so input lag is a concern for me as well, but I figure for casual gaming and movies it'll be great

Thanks for the reply back, all the other research i have done has proved this TV is exactly what i am looking for and love the fact that the evolution kit can update my tv for future. I was playing GTAV yesterday on my F8000 and experienced a good amount of lag even on game mode. I really want this tv, but this lag thing is making me second guess it, i even called samsung to see if a firmware update was in the work for this tv. They didnt really know but seeing that the F8000 just had an update on 10/25/13 i think there should be one soon. I am heading down to magnolia today to try to compare the different models, hopefully they have a game system near by lol.

2 Definitive Technology ST-L Fronts, CS-8080HD center channel, Gem XL rears, SuperCube 8000 subwoofer, Marantz SR-7008 , and Sony KDL-55w900a
post #1911 of 6515 Old 10-30-2013, 04:53 PM

Just got the 64F8500 and wondering that noone is speaking about first hours break-in of it..

Is it a theme or not since it's a new technology?

post #1912 of 6515 Old 10-30-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsag View Post

Just got the 64F8500 and wondering that noone is speaking about first hours break-in of it..
congrats on your new set! page one of this thread describes what i did the first couple hundred hours. enjoy!

samsung PN51F8500. marantz sr5008. sony bdp s5100. emp tek e55tib LR, e5cib, e55wib. sennheiser momentum. sig sauer p250.
post #1913 of 6515 Old 10-31-2013, 03:26 AM

ljmart, thank you for pointing to information about break-in.

As a new owner of 64F8500, I made some quick impressions:

Cons:

Huge difference in picture quality compared to my old Philips, *except* in SD picture (upsampling) quality. My 6 year old Philips with Pixelplus technology

does a better job, especially visible on faces during live news stream. F8500 smooths things out much more. This seems to be a problem with almost all

new sets - developers do not care about upsampling technology from SD signal?

One other thing which I do not like is quite strange to me - on the F8500 there seems to be impossible to combine over the air TV and satellite channel list.

This wonders me a lot, since I assume that a lot of people have terrestrial and satellite reception of TV channels. To switch channels, I have to push 5 buttons on

my remote???

Pro:

Beautiful HD picture, very smooth 3D, the best I've seen so far. No problem to sit very near to the set watching 3D for extended time period. At about 70" far from a 64" display

is not a problem!

Due to high processing power, almost no lag in Smart TV usage.

The screen absorbs ambient light so good that you can get very black tones with lights on in the room.

will make a follow-up soon...

post #1914 of 6515 Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 AM

Liked: 35
So it's been quite a while since the 2013 panels were released and I assume everyone who owns one is pretty familiar with them at this point. I'd like to ask everyone who's had their F8500 for a while if they've encountered the infamous long-during IR that's plagued Panasonic's line for so long (and continues to in the now confirmed to be final 60 series). Last year's Samsung plasma panels, assuming you were looking at an E6500 or better and 60" or higher, were immune to long-term IR.

For clarification, long-term IR is the kind that sticks around for hours, days, sometimes even weeks. It manifests as a dark shadow where bright content was exposed for an extended time (usually a white logo like Discovery's D or a game HUD) and can be seen against solid colors. It is not to be confused with residual charge, which is a bright ghost that can be seen on dark (even black) screens and goes away within minutes.

I have yet to hear any complaints about long-term IR on the F8500 this year, while the Panasonic 2013 IR reports have finally manifested everywhere from forums to Amazon reviews. I even saw that both the ZT60 and VT60 at my local Best Buy had severe IR shadows of the Pioneer logo (maximum irony mode considering Pioneer's IR-proof late gen panels). Anecdotal data would suggest that Samsung kept the excellent IR resistance they developed in 2012, but I'd love to hear from owners in this forum. Reviewers simply refuse to assess this issue so crowd sourcing the data is the only option.

To reiterate: Has anyone seen long-term IR on their F8500, or did Samsung solve this issue for good?
post #1915 of 6515 Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

tomsag, u r welcome!

just a thought on the first con... what size screen are you coming from? perhaps its more due to an increase in screen size causing you to feel the way you do about the SD PQ?

samsung PN51F8500. marantz sr5008. sony bdp s5100. emp tek e55tib LR, e5cib, e55wib. sennheiser momentum. sig sauer p250.
post #1916 of 6515 Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
No long term image retention on my set and I've had it for a few months. I have seen image retention, but it always clears up within seconds, not even minutes. On the other hand, I owned a ZT60 before the 8500 and got long term image retention from the logo in my satellite guide that never faded at all. And this was just from standard use of the program guide. No such issues on the 8500.
post #1917 of 6515 Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

no LTIR here either on my 8 mo. old set. yes, IR from pausing something, but that clears up quickly with regular tv viewing. no need for screen wiper. tho just a note, i dont game or use the web functions much.

post #1918 of 6515 Old 10-31-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post

so crowd sourcing the data is the only option.

To reiterate: Has anyone seen long-term IR on their F8500, or did Samsung solve this issue for good?

So far so good on my 64F8500 and I use it a lot with a HTPC. Initially I would sort of rush to ensure I got the video up after seeing how hard the desktop image drives the TV, the last few weeks I have been pretty casual about it and zero IR even after have the PC screen up for a little over an hour where parts were static the entire time. I ran this in Dynamic mode about 12 - 18 hours per day for 2 weeks solid to "season" the screen and really push the electronics to draw any infant mortality issues.

I have only had it 6 weeks now and about the only thing I noticed through burn-in process is that the picture feels like it is getting better, in reality it is likely more just me getting used to it but subjectively it seems to have mellowed a little, I know a weird attrbute for a TV but brand new it seemed really aggressive if that makes any sense.
post #1919 of 6515 Old 11-01-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsag View Post

Depends who you ask, I personally never felt it was needed, but that's my opinion.........
post #1920 of 6515 Old 11-01-2013, 03:20 PM

I got an update to FW 1114.5 (Specifically, T-FXPAKUC-1114.5). I have not seen any references to this version online. Does anyone have any more information on it?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page