Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Sherlock: This is the reason Samsung recommends not to upgrade the firmware on the TV unless you have an issue that the firmware upgrade can fix.
Me: It says "Improves picture quality." It can't sound better than that.

That is such a lie they told you that Muffin. The reason we update is not just only for fixes and picture improvements but also because of smart hub app updates. For example Netflix was updated recently and I see in 1116 an angry birds game app has been added. So they basically are saying don't update ever unless your tv is broken!? Love this set but their customer service reps tend to really suck and it seems they'd rather want to blame the owner for updating so they can try to get out of having to send a tech to the owners home.

Samsung F8500 Service menu factory reset and activating cal modes instructions

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...l#post24101072
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Inferno View Post

That is such a lie they told you that Muffin. The reason we update is not just only for fixes and picture improvements but also because of smart hub app updates. For example Netflix was updated recently and I see in 1116 an angry birds game app has been added. So they basically are saying don't update ever unless your tv is broken!? Love this set but their customer service reps tend to really suck and it seems they'd rather want to blame the owner for updating so they can try to get out of having to send a tech to the owners home.

I said that stuff later, I just didn't past it in. I said things like "You guys are constantly adding things to the Smart Hub, fixing security updates, and supposedly later Evo Kits will speed up the processor on the television." Kind of ridiculous if I did a rollback then suddenly my TV's security is vulnerable again through the camera.

Plus, someone also said 1115 addressed their buzzing issue. That certainly wasn't the case for me, but then when 1116 says again that it improves picture quality and it degrades it even more, I mean I was trying to get out of my own pickle and it didn't seem to work.

So bizarre. Seriously.
Damien Inferno likes this.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:

I said that stuff later, I just didn't past it in. I said things like "You guys are constantly adding things to the Smart Hub, fixing security updates, and supposedly later Evo Kits will speed up the processor on the television." Kind of ridiculous if I did a rollback then suddenly my TV's security is vulnerable again through the camera.

Yeah it sad that the owners seem to know more about the tv then actual Samsung employees lol.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 205
For all those who are having issues, how many are using medium quality to cheap HDMI cables? (Yes, I know, it's only Zeroes and Ones) I picked up quality cables that were on Sale (Boxing Day coming up) and I'm not having FW Update issues, popping issues, etc! Put at least one Quality cable from your AVR to the TV. One Quality cable from your Blu-ray player to the AVR. The rest is up to you.
Secondly, I use a VQ to calibrate my TV settings and leave the TV alone - TV FW Updates are now not going to affect my settings, excepting the Basics that are easily replaced.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

For all those who are having issues, how many are using medium quality to cheap HDMI cables? (Yes, I know, it's only Zeroes and Ones) I picked up quality cables that were on Sale (Boxing Day coming up) and I'm not having FW Update issues, popping issues, etc! Put at least one Quality cable from your AVR to the TV. One Quality cable from your Blu-ray player to the AVR. The rest is up to you.
Secondly, I use a VQ to calibrate my TV settings and leave the TV alone - TV FW Updates are now not going to affect my settings, excepting the Basics that are easily replaced.

I'm using HDMI cables from Monoprice with Redmere tech and they've been great. No buzzing (not the cables obviously), but also no issue with colors popping in 2D or 3D either. My set has been great after a service menu reset.

TV - Samsung PN51F8500
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, trying the Factory Reset now and it may have worked, but it looks like I will need that help on how to unlock CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT again because I forgot they won't be there anymore. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Once you activate the ISF menus, do you make entries directly from the user menu or do you have to use another program to make entries to the service menu?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. Turn the TV Off.
2. With the remote control press Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power. It takes a few seconds and then the SM will appear
3. Arrow down to SVC and press the Enter button in the center of the arrows
4. Arrow down to Expert and press Enter
5 .Right click on N/D ADJ to ON --- NOT FIX
6. Press Enter
7. Press Power
8. Wait a few seconds
9. Press Power
10. The Picture Mode will start in Dynamic
11. Change Picture Mode
12. Done

Thanks for all of your help. It actually remembered most of my settings from CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT except for the 10pt White Balance and MPEG/Mosquito Noise Reduction or whatever they're called.

In the end, it looks a bit more like when I updated 1115. If I can look past it, it's tolerable (especially because there's nothing else I can do). At least it doesn't look like 1116 anymore. That was putrid filth! Every time I do an update from now on, I might do a factory reset. tongue.gif
Old 12-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all of your help. It actually remembered most of my settings from CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT except for the 10pt White Balance and MPEG/Mosquito Noise Reduction or whatever they're called.

In the end, it looks a bit more like when I updated 1115. If I can look past it, it's tolerable (especially because there's nothing else I can do). At least it doesn't look like 1116 anymore. That was putrid filth! Every time I do an update from now on, I might do a factory reset. tongue.gif

Thats really odd it remembered your settings. Are you saying it remembered your color space settings? If you did a factory reset the tv should be like new and have no memory of anything. After the reset did you have to run through the setup screen?

Old 12-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Once you activate the ISF menus, do you make entries directly from the user menu or do you have to use another program to make entries to the service menu?

Once you activate the CAL modes from the service menu they can be adjusted from the user menu.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats really odd it remembered your settings. Are you saying it remembered your color space settings? If you did a factory reset the tv should be like new and have no memory of anything. After the reset did you have to run through the setup screen?

Indeed, I went through the entire setup again. Everything else was reset, including my speaker output, devices attached to it... everything. CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT were largely unaffected, though. Dynamic, Standard, Movie, and Relax were all reset as far as their settings too, so I'm not going to worry too much about it like it wasn't able to do what it needed to do, especially when it comes to installing firmware updates correctly.

It also added a few new options to the top of my Tools menu, but I forget what they are already haha.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Indeed, I went through the entire setup again. Everything else was reset, including my speaker output, devices attached to it... everything. CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT were largely unaffected, though. Dynamic, Standard, Movie, and Relax were all reset as far as their settings too, so I'm not going to worry too much about it like it wasn't able to do what it needed to do, especially when it comes to installing firmware updates correctly.

It also added a few new options to the top of my Tools menu, but I forget what they are already haha.

So earlier you were basically saying the picture quality was only somewhat better. Im sorry to hear that because with me the reset effect was like night and day.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

1. Turn the TV Off.
2. With the remote control press Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power. It takes a few seconds and then the SM will appear
5 .Right click on N/D ADJ to ON --- NOT FIX
6. Press Enter
7. Press Power
8. Wait a few seconds
9. Press Power
10. The Picture Mode will start in Dynamic
11. Change Picture Mode
12. Done

Be aware that the above omits a step that is likely important to you. Here's the complete list:
Please don't touch anything in the SM other than what I post below. You can brick your TV. Make a copy of all your settings. Entering the service menu will reset them to the default values.

You need an IR remote, not the touchpad remote normally shipped.

1. Turn the TV Off.
2. On the IR remote control, press Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power. It takes a few seconds and then the SM will appear
5. Right arrow on N/D ADJ to ON !!! NOT "FIX" !!!
6. Press Enter
7. With the down arrow key, highlight the "Source" item and use the right or left arrow keys to get "ALL". Press Enter
8. Press Power
9. Wait a few seconds
10. Press Power
11. The Picture Mode will start in Dynamic
12. Change Picture Mode
13. Restore your settings as copied at the start of this procedure
Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsNWarrants View Post

Be aware that the above omits a step that is likely important to you. Here's the complete list:
Please don't touch anything in the SM other than what I post below. You can brick your TV. Make a copy of all your settings. Entering the service menu will reset them to the default values.

You need an IR remote, not the touchpad remote normally shipped.

7. With the down arrow key, highlight the "Source" item and use the right or left arrow keys to get "ALL". Press Enter

Hey thanks for correcting me I deleted the original post so people will follow yours hopefully. But honestly when I did the factory reset last week and had to turn back on my cal modes for the life of me I dont remember that step. confused.gifeek.gif

Old 12-19-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So earlier you were basically saying the picture quality was only somewhat better. Im sorry to hear that because with me the reset effect was like night and day.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's night and day. Before 1115 was just suspect because I noticed it was fuzzier, then I thought 1116 was going to address that... then that one screwed up every single thing about my television. I didn't have too many quips with 1115 other than it didn't seem to improve my picture.

If it's going to look closer to 1115 than 1110, I'm okay with that.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Oh don't get me wrong, it's night and day. Before 1115 was just suspect because I noticed it was fuzzier, then I thought 1116 was going to address that... then that one screwed up every single thing about my television. I didn't have too many quips with 1115 other than it didn't seem to improve my picture.

If it's going to look closer to 1115 than 1110, I'm okay with that.

Well thats good. The service menu factory reset should be in the user menu as should the CAL modes. The user menu factory reset is useless when you have a problem like this.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Not sure how you would relate firmware update issues with the HDMI cable but that aside, I use AmazonBasics High Speed cables between all of the components except to the 50 footer between the HTPC and the receiver, that is a redmere with a Gefen HMDI repeater, the only thing in the signal chain that is radically higher priced that most products in that space (which are usually junk).

In any event, unless you have a situation that pushes some limit, typically length, then I have been unable to tell the difference between Amazon/MonoPrice HDMI cables and the pretty high ended one I got to try. A very good cable can also sometimes address short comings in the other gear, like weak output drivers in the electronics, but in normal circumstances as long as you don't go too cheap, and hit reputable brands you will be in good shape.

This is not to say better cables did not help your situation but as a rule I don't think most get a reasonable return or any tangible benefit on the investment for high priced cables in digital gear, used a the typical lengths, 3 to 6 feet. In consumer grade gear tolerances are already going to be pretty wide, the 3000 buck tv maker knows they will be the ones stuck solving the problem with the customer not the cable maker so they build accordingly. I tried out 2 AudioQuest Vodka, named because drinking a serious amount of it really helps in the sales of this 375 buck cable.

I put in one between the TV and receiver and the Blu-Ray player and the receiver, and I also tried the BR directly to the TV, there was just no noticeable difference over the high speed AmazonBasics.

Now on the 50 foot run, the cable quality really made a difference, I suspect most in the gauge of the wire and the design for the long haul, still needed an also expensive repeater so there are clearly places where very high end engineering is required but its not the norm.

That said cables are one of those things that turn religious pretty quickly, people are still arguing lamp cord over engineered speaker cords and have been for 30+ years that I am aware of smile.gif
Old 12-19-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

With HDMI Cables, remember the 6' Rule! If you want issues, use less than 6 footers.
Re cables - how many members are using HDMI Cables they bought for $1.95 to $9.95? Bought 6' Monsters during Model change for $19.95. Regular $86.95! So watch for the sales.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

That is such a lie they told you that Muffin. The reason we update is not just only for fixes and picture improvements but also because of smart hub app updates. For example Netflix was updated recently and I see in 1116 an angry birds game app has been added. .

Netflix was updated on 1114 and the Angry birds game has been there for months (or at least August when I got mine).
I don't think 1116 had any smarthub updates since those usually will add in some apps by deafault (that I have to delete later).
It would be interesting what models have this PQ issue with the firmware updates ?
I have a 51F8500 and have never seen any PQ changes with any update.
I don't use/care about 3D so I cannot comment there.
I have also made measurements before & after several updates with identical readings just like this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1920#post_23903461

Some of the boards may be different between models so perhaps the firmware is not getting pushed out to these boards correctly but I have yet been able to get a service manual so I'm not sure on this ?

Todd
Old 12-19-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd95008 View Post

It would be interesting what models have this PQ issue with the firmware updates ?
I don't use/care about 3D so I cannot comment there.
I have also made measurements before & after several updates with identical readings just like this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1920#post_23903461

Some of the boards may be different between models so perhaps the firmware is not getting pushed out to these boards correctly but I have yet been able to get a service manual so I'm not sure on this ?

Todd

I have 60F8500.

I can't even bear to use 3D because of the amount of crosstalk my set gets. My D7000 handles 3D very well, especially with Film Mode off.

But yeah, it sucks that my picture now has the 1115 fuzz, or at least a little bit of it. I'm just glad it's not like 1116 anymore, personally.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Damien, do you think my CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT settings should completely reset, like never even exist as they were? If so, do you think my Factory Reset isn't doing what it should be doing?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM

Liked: 169
Quote:

With HDMI Cables, remember the 6' Rule! If you want issues, use less than 6 footers.
Re cables - how many members are using HDMI Cables they bought for $1.95 to $9.95?

Me wink.gif

Dollar store HDMI 6' cables. Two bucks a pop. Not one problem since I bought them.
aypues likes this.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Me wink.gif

Dollar store HDMI 6' cables. Two bucks a pop. Not one problem since I bought them.

Monster Rejects because of blemishes?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd95008 View Post

the Angry birds game has been there for months

I remember their was some angry birds cartoon app there but I didnt notice the actual game til today. Not saying you are wrong though.
I dont own a meter but to my naked eye the picture quality has gotten better and better since I bought the tv in may.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Damien, do you think my CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT settings should completely reset, like never even exist as they were? If so, do you think my Factory Reset isn't doing what it should be doing?

I was thinking that until you told me that everything else had been reset and that you had to run through setup etc. So it sounds like the reset worked. Are you satisfied with the picture now?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I have 60F8500.

I can't even bear to use 3D because of the amount of crosstalk my set gets. My D7000 handles 3D very well, especially with Film Mode off.

But yeah, it sucks that my picture now has the 1115 fuzz, or at least a little bit of it. I'm just glad it's not like 1116 anymore, personally.
I too have noticed quite a bit of crosstalk. I'm coming from a vt60 and did not notice crosstalk on that tv. Also, does anyone else have issues wih motion on this set in 2D? When the camera pans or when something moves across the screen, it looks pretty choppy to me. I don't remember seeing this type of motion on my vt60. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? It seems to actually strain my eyes for some reason. I gues it's just a motion that I'm not used to seeing. Anyone else experience this? Thanks guys.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was thinking that until you told me that everything else had been reset and that you had to run through setup etc. So it sounds like the reset worked. Are you satisfied with the picture now?

Well, like I said, it feels like 1115 again. I can especially tell when text is on screen, or when I'm watching an SD station. Maybe it's not that I'm looking harder at it. The true test is to take somebody who wouldn't know about the update or doesn't give a rat's ass about picture quality. If even one person ever makes a comment about it, then I know it's not as it should be.

Everyone would have made a comment about 1116. though. That was atrocious.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Well, like I said, it feels like 1115 again. I can especially tell when text is on screen, or when I'm watching an SD station. Maybe it's not that I'm looking harder at it. The true test is to take somebody who wouldn't know about the update or doesn't give a rat's ass about picture quality. If even one person ever makes a comment about it, then I know it's not as it should be.

Everyone would have made a comment about 1116. though. That was atrocious.
My picture was looking so bad before the reset I was about to call samsung and set up a tech visit. As you know the reset completely fixed my tv (and made it possibly even brighter than ever at least to my naked eye) If you feel the picture isnt like it was when you bought the tv you should definitely schedule a home visit with samsung.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Me wink.gif

Bought one 6 footer from Dollarama.($3) Its Standard HDMI and 1.3 (?), yet the packaging says it's Ultra High Cable Rating? Put it on my ExpressVU receiver - looks OK.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My picture was looking so bad before the reset I was about to call samsung and set up a tech visit. As you know the reset completely fixed my tv (and made it possibly even brighter than ever at least to my naked eye) If you feel the picture isnt like it was when you bought the tv you should definitely schedule a home visit with samsung.

Yeah, but I think you'd suggest a solution that they would: replace the panel.

I'm not going to like that. I've invested probably 1500 hours on it already plus paid $450 for a calibration. I'm certain I wouldn't want a new panel for that, even if it "fixes" the image.

You're lucky yours is all good, though. I'm going to do every firmware update they release then do a factory reset afterward.

So you're saying that you have no hint of buzz, flicker, macroblocking, or soft-smearing or anything like that? It's just so, so strange. Main reason I'm pissed is because it's my parents' TV. I never should've ****ing touched it with an update because some dimwit (no offense to you) said it reduced their buzzing and I wanted to see if it would do the same on my set, which I can barely even hear the buzzing on this one (though I can a lot on my D7000, which now looks better than this TV).

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread