Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 6747 Old 12-23-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
So after updating to 1116 and doing the factory reset, who still has "fuzzy image syndrome" besides me?

Was it because I updated from 1110 up to 1115 and 1116 without doing any resets or updates in between?

Is there any hope for future updates to help my cause here again?

Am... am I going to die?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 6747 Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

So after updating to 1116 and doing the factory reset, who still has "fuzzy image syndrome" besides me?

Was it because I updated from 1110 up to 1115 and 1116 without doing any resets or updates in between?

Is there any hope for future updates to help my cause here again?

Am... am I going to die?

Im on 1116 and I dont think my tv has ever looked better. Blacks seem deeper and black optimizer seems to work very well now for me.
You need to have a tech come and look at your tv. It sounds like you have a problem that an update or reset cant fix IMO.
Hopefully you wont die anytime soon and hopefully by the time you are real old there will be technology to put your brain into a clone body.
I really hope this happens because Muffinmcfluffin The Immortal sounds awesome tongue.gif
muffinmcfluffin likes this.

Samsung F8500 Service menu factory reset and activating cal modes instructions

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/2460#post_24101072
post #2523 of 6747 Old 12-24-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
It would be great to get one of the pro's to measure the black levels. In any case, this is such a great set with a great picture.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #2524 of 6747 Old 12-24-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can anyone confirm that the floating blacks are more stable with the latest firmware?
post #2525 of 6747 Old 12-24-2013, 09:00 AM

Liked: 32
On 1116 and definitely my tv is looking the best it ever has. I've also done a factory reset and replugged in my isf calibrator's numbers. Absolutely stunning image quality. I've been gaming a ton on it of late and could not be happier. I'd love to see new input lag measurements using 1116 and the dual "Game" and "Game Mode" setting. I'd bet it's best in class among its competitors now, or damn close to it! I'd also love to see new black level measurements. Mine have seemingly appeared to have gotten a tiny bit better but I'm not sure if it's just the panel breaking in over time or firmware related or both; or it could just be placebo. It's probably the latter but that's why I'd like to see new measurements, to see if it's my imagination. I'd guess there are some very, very small measurable improvements from their original reviews, but if it's firmware or just break-in, I wouldn't dare to guess.

The input lag is definitely something improved on in firmware since I bought this tv new. There is absolutely no doubts there, they have improved it from the original firmware... but it was truly atrocious back then. I couldn't even play the new Tomb Raider on my Xbox 360, it was unplayable. Now it's just as good as my ancient panasonic plasma I've been gaming on for a decade, which is to say "fantastic" and any kind of "input-lag" is a complete non-issue. IMO, you are going to have to go back to CRT to have any kind of appreciably noticeable difference.
Damien Inferno likes this.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #2526 of 6747 Old 12-24-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post

Thank you for the info guys smile.gif My return window expires tomorrow. I am going to sleep on it. At this point, I am leaning towards keeping ZT60 though.
What was the verdict ?
post #2527 of 6747 Old 12-24-2013, 03:38 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

It would be great to get one of the pro's to measure the black levels. In any case, this is such a great set with a great picture.

Not a pro but I measured the same black levels with 1116 & Vs 1115/1114/1112...
Measured after SM factory reset etc. and with same method & meter as in this post:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1530#post_23704586

Perhaps if your panel was screwed up from 1116 (mine was not), then the reset & 1116 look better ?
post #2528 of 6747 Old 12-24-2013, 04:27 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post

Thank you for the info guys smile.gif My return window expires tomorrow. I am going to sleep on it. At this point, I am leaning towards keeping ZT60 though.
What was the verdict ?

I decided to keep the ZT.
post #2529 of 6747 Old 12-24-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 168
After 1115 8500 was sitting with the Menu on Startup.
After watching Oblivion with friends the other night, noticed the outline of the Menu when viewing a Black Background. (Only 140 viewing hours on the Panel at this Point.)
Took out my Pixel Protector disk to show my friends how the Pixel Washes worked. On the third wash, the all White Screen, could again see faint outlines of the Menu.
Ran the Pixel Washes for 11 hours today. All White Third Wash now showing no traces of the Menu.
FW 1116 update and FW Reset - turned Off the Menu on turn on. Hopefully will not see again.
post #2530 of 6747 Old 12-24-2013, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Would it actually be possible for a firmware or the Evolutino kit to improve the floating blacks and motion on this set? Or is there a lot more to it than that?
post #2531 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry that I keep saying this, but I regret ever having updated my firmware. I can't believe this.

Damien, I'm convinced you just can't see the issues because you have MPEG Noise Filter and Digital Clean View set to Auto, which just destroys the details in an image. At least it probably destroys the fuzz as well, but I'm not willing to live with that sacrifice.

I'm just going to keep doing every update from hereon out and see if something will ever remedy this. I'm super surprised more people don't have the issue that I do, especially after doing three factory resets.
post #2532 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry that I keep saying this, but I regret ever having updated my firmware. I can't believe this.

Damien, I'm convinced you just can't see the issues because you have MPEG Noise Filter and Digital Clean View set to Auto, which just destroys the details in an image. At least it probably destroys the fuzz as well, but I'm not willing to live with that sacrifice.

I'm just going to keep doing every update from hereon out and see if something will ever remedy this. I'm super surprised more people don't have the issue that I do, especially after doing three factory resets.

Even with the filters off my picture is no longer fuzzy. If anything its grainy. Ive seen no fuzz since the last reset I did after installing update 1115. The filters on auto seems to smooth out my picture but not to the point to where detail is lost. Believe me, im the first one to complain when I think this tv doesn't look good which is why ive done 2 factory resets on my tv and have had a tech visit. I will say though when I had the fuzzy picture problem using the filters did indeed worsen my picture. Nothing worked to fix it as you know except the resets. Im also in agreement with those on here who say 1116 made theirs picture better. This is my third samsung plasma tv and the F8500s picture is the best by far. I just binged watched 13 episodes of sons of anarchy on netflix via PS3 over the last few days and was impressed how it looked---almost blu ray quality to my 20/20 vision eyes. Like ive said before it sounds like you have exactly the same problem I had but unfortunately the resets didnt fix your problem. Since you have tried everything to no avail the only thing left to do in my opinion have a tech come. You never know it might be an easy in home fix.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/2460#post_24101072
post #2533 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Inferno View Post

Even with the filters off my picture is no longer fuzzy. If anything its grainy. Ive seen no fuzz since the last reset I did after installing update 1115. The filters on auto seems to smooth out my picture but not to the point to where detail is lost. Believe me, im the first one to complain when I think this tv doesn't look good which is why ive done 2 factory resets on my tv and have had a tech visit. I will say though when I had the fuzzy picture problem using the filters did indeed worsen my picture. Nothing worked to fix it as you know except the resets. Im also in agreement with those on here who say 1116 made theirs picture better. This is my third samsung plasma tv and the F8500s picture is by far the best. I just binged watched 13 episodes of sons of anarchy on netflix via PS3 over the last few days and was impressed how it looked. Almost blu ray quality to my 20/20 vision eyes. Like ive said before it sounds like you have exactly the same problem I had but unfortunately the resets didnt fix your problem. Since you have tried everything to no avail the only thing left to do in my opinion have a tech come. You never know it might be an easy in home fix.

I sure hope so. Unfortunately, it comes with a weird thing here. I can't admit that I screwed up this set to my parents, especially my mom. Once she realizes what's wrong with it, she'll be like me and can't help but see the issue for herself everywhere she looks. It's just so prevalent, and it's impossible to ignore.

I keep saying to myself "it's not that bad," but then I look at my D7000 upstairs and realize that it is that bad. I don't even know why no one questions it either. It's just so bizarre.

I would like for a tech to come out, but I would truly just like this thing to be resolved. If it means replacing the panel, unfortunately I won't be doing that. I'm hoping to god there's some other hard reset that we can do on the panel to make this happen, even if it means unscrewing the back.

I love my F8500. I just regret doing these freakin' updates.
post #2534 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I sure hope so. Unfortunately, it comes with a weird thing here. I can't admit that I screwed up this set to my parents, especially my mom. Once she realizes what's wrong with it, she'll be like me and can't help but see the issue for herself everywhere she looks. It's just so prevalent, and it's impossible to ignore.

I keep saying to myself "it's not that bad," but then I look at my D7000 upstairs and realize that it is that bad. I don't even know why no one questions it either. It's just so bizarre.

I would like for a tech to come out, but I would truly just like this thing to be resolved. If it means replacing the panel, unfortunately I won't be doing that. I'm hoping to god there's some other hard reset that we can do on the panel to make this happen, even if it means unscrewing the back.

I love my F8500. I just regret doing these freakin' updates.
if your d7000 looks better then the f8500 you definitely need a tech visit lol

post #2535 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if your d7000 looks better then the f8500 you definitely need a tech visit lol

Well, it doesn't have any fuzz. It obviously isn't a better picture otherwise, but this hazy look over the top of everything alongside macroblocking or whatever it is just makes it... blah!

I'll arrange for a tech visit, but it might not be for months on end. Literally, I need to get it done when I know that nobody will be here and I know that I will.

The real big problem is dealing with these guys who will say this is "normal" or can't see anything wrong with it. I don't want to have to deal with one of those ignorant types. See, they don't know what I used to see on this TV, but it wasn't what I see now.

I just wonder if it's still an installation issue, and if my factory reset isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing.
post #2536 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Well, it doesn't have any fuzz. It obviously isn't a better picture otherwise, but this hazy look over the top of everything alongside macroblocking or whatever it is just makes it... blah!

I'll arrange for a tech visit, but it might not be for months on end. Literally, I need to get it done when I know that nobody will be here and I know that I will.
Dumb question but are you using quality hdmi cords? Show the tech your d7000 also so he can see the difference. That should shut him up.

post #2537 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

The real big problem is dealing with these guys who will say this is "normal" or can't see anything wrong with it. I don't want to have to deal with one of those ignorant types. See, they don't know what I used to see on this TV, but it wasn't what I see now.

I just wonder if it's still an installation issue, and if my factory reset isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I'm seeing a degradation going from 1114 to 1116. Perhaps someone who is running 1116 and is pleased with the PQ can confirm the below update versions to validate install (as best as possible)

IMG_0389a.JPG 1254k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0389a.JPG (1.23 MB, 36 views)
post #2538 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Everything you say is exactly the way my set is responding, so no, you are not the only one, but the auto settings DO filter it out so it is not visible.

I have to think that this noise is a product of the poor cable signal and I am very happy after the post-processing is added.

post #2539 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

I also noticed a new problem, my info button doe not give my signal data, nothing, just blinks but nothing happens the red light blinks but no on screen drop-down with signal info.

Anyone else this happened to....

post #2540 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dumb question but are you using quality hdmi cords? Show the tech your d7000 also so he can see the difference. That should shut him up.

I hate to speak in this way, but my stuff is properly set up and very good. I don't really know how else to put it. I know you're just trying to help, but I'm the kind of guy who gets unnerved by calling laptop customer service guys because they do the "Is it plugged in?" routine.

Yeah, my stuff is just fine, and it was just fine prior to downloading and installing 1115, then 1116 after it. Before that I was on 1110, and I was gaga over my set. No complaints whatsoever (except for input lag). Then I tried to test that guy's stupid "this buzzes less now" theory, which of course it didn't but buzzing was never a problem of mine on this set, and now I'm stuck with the ****ing fuzz.

I don't know, I just hate that this happened to me. You think that it won't happen to you or you won't notice or care about it, but now it's all that I ever think about and I feel super guilty that I did this to a near $3000 set and it's not even mine (well it's my family's, but the D7000 is my baby... if I destroyed that one I'd be fine, but not this one). I'm just hoping I can get a fix soon, because it really is the thorn in my side this holiday break now and I'm super frustrated about it.
post #2541 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 01:25 PM

Liked: 169
For those with cable TV Digital clean view and MPEG filter set to auto is a must as without it the incoming stream sucks basically. This is no matter what firmware is installed.
post #2542 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I hate to speak in this way, but my stuff is properly set up and very good. I don't really know how else to put it. I know you're just trying to help, but I'm the kind of guy who gets unnerved by calling laptop customer service guys because they do the "Is it plugged in?" routine.

Yeah, my stuff is just fine, and it was just fine prior to downloading and installing 1115, then 1116 after it. Before that I was on 1110, and I was gaga over my set. No complaints whatsoever (except for input lag). Then I tried to test that guy's stupid "this buzzes less now" theory, which of course it didn't but buzzing was never a problem of mine on this set, and now I'm stuck with the ****ing fuzz.

I don't know, I just hate that this happened to me. You think that it won't happen to you or you won't notice or care about it, but now it's all that I ever think about and I feel super guilty that I did this to a near $3000 set and it's not even mine (well it's my family's, but the D7000 is my baby... if I destroyed that one I'd be fine, but not this one). I'm just hoping I can get a fix soon, because it really is the thorn in my side this holiday break now and I'm super frustrated about it.
I hear you and I know how you feel. I felt the same way before I discovered the reset fix. Last time I dealt with a samsung tech they were here in less then a week. So hopefully they can come at a time thats convenient to you
muffinmcfluffin likes this.

post #2543 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

For those with cable TV Digital clean view and MPEG filter set to auto is a must as without it the incoming stream sucks basically. This is no matter what firmware is installed.
Agreed! I remember on my old C8000 I had to keep it on high but auto is perfect for the F8500. Pie do you notice any detail loss on auto? I know I dont.

post #2544 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 01:39 PM

Liked: 169
No. Auto works very well for blu ray also as it does not kick in. You can test auto and off and the quality remains the same.
post #2545 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:

No. Auto works very well for blu ray also as it does not kick in. You can test auto and off and the quality remains the same.
I keep auto on for all my sources.

post #2546 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

I tried the shut down and unplug trick but it is the same, funny the info screen was there when I re-started the power up.

Going to try a factory reset from the service menu....

post #2547 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Unless this is different from the D7000, I know I can disagree with you on the latter statement. I only say that because I remember when somebody on here helped me create a 2.40:1 constant AR BD for The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, and when I popped them in I realized how little detail there was in both of them. I ended up telling him this was all for naught, but then realized for some stupid reason or another I turned these two options onto Auto, and they were what was messing with this. I turned them off, then all was good.

Oh, and I have DirecTV, which has a much less compressed signal than cable. I realized how much softer it looked immediately when I had them turned on Auto. Motion was also a bit stranger too, like there were some trailing pixels time to time. It acted like an EIS on a digital video camera heh. Prior to any of these updates, DirecTV looked great. I know there were artifacts here and there, but it still looked very good.

Anyway, I'll keep working on this. I'm just glad you guys are here to support my griping. I just don't know why I ever did an update is all. I'm shaking my own head on this one.

EDIT: Trying both with Auto again on DirecTV. No, this is way too soft. I don't know how you guys watch it like this. I don't think that whatever fuzz was there originally is helping out this look either.
post #2548 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

"Anyway, I'll keep working on this. I'm just glad you guys are here to support my griping. I just don't know why I ever did an update is all. I'm shaking my own head on this one."

Ditto, I was perfect with 1114, should have left it alone, I like having the feature of the drop down menu that told me my exact signal and now it does not work.....even after the reset.

post #2549 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Unless this is different from the D7000, I know I can disagree with you on the latter statement. I only say that because I remember when somebody on here helped me create a 2.40:1 constant AR BD for The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, and when I popped them in I realized how little detail there was in both of them. I ended up telling him this was all for naught, but then realized for some stupid reason or another I turned these two options onto Auto, and they were what was messing with this. I turned them off, then all was good.

Oh, and I have DirecTV, which has a much less compressed signal than cable. I realized how much softer it looked immediately when I had them turned on Auto. Motion was also a bit stranger too, like there were some trailing pixels time to time. It acted like an EIS on a digital video camera heh. Prior to any of these updates, DirecTV looked great. I know there were artifacts here and there, but it still looked very good.

Anyway, I'll keep working on this. I'm just glad you guys are here to support my griping. I just don't know why I ever did an update is all. I'm shaking my own head on this one.

We do the updates because we are on a never ending quest to get the best possible PQ out of our sets. I was happy with 1114 after a factory reset but could not resist trying 1116 and now regret it too. But Im sure ill get it resolved via next update or if needed a service call. Don't beat yourself up over it. Did you see my post earlier, are your software versions the same? Damien, what about yours?
post #2550 of 6747 Old 12-25-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

We do the updates because we are on a never ending quest to get the best possible PQ out of our sets. I was happy with 1114 after a factory reset but could not resist trying 1116 and now regret it too. But Im sure ill get it resolved via next update or if needed a service call. Don't beat yourself up over it. Did you see my post earlier, are your software versions the same? Damien, what about yours?

Is that in the service menu? If so, I'll have to check another day. I'm not really stoked to go through that process at the moment with family here.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page