Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Most all of the FW update recommendations that suggest removing all "foreign" sources I'd say seem reasonable. Maybe not "practical" but reasonable.

Question? Is the production date embedded in the serial number in some way? The serial number provided by the vendor is of course missing the last digit/letter so it's NOT possible to gather any information until the serial number is actually confirmed from the product. Do they maybe use a Julian date sequence or other known sequence that can be decoded for production information while still in transit?

It's my understanding and I believe my C8000 package was also this way but I never attempted to see if it the production date could be deciphered in some fashion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 08:26 AM

Liked: 169
Going a little of topic for those wanting ever better PQ, invest in a Darbee. I have mine set to 35 and it makes a great improvement on what is an already excellent picture. IMO.
post #2613 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

The Center support piece is about 2" longer on each end. The center support pieces, front and back are 2 leftovers from a rotating DVD Stand and are 31" X 5.25". Both were a tad lower than the main piece, but installed felt pads under them to make them higher than the main piece. Once the TV was in place the front and back curls now rested on these, and the pads allowed them to sink just enough that the whole pedestal is now supported, not just the ends.
That will work, good think you do not have a glass top......... wink.gif

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #2614 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
That will work, good think you do not have a glass top.........

See post #2591 on the previous page.  I have a glass top.

Should I worry about the Samsung 65" display resting on it?

Quote:
invest in a Darbee.

Which Darbee do you have?  I have seen these used first-hand at a trade show.  Had mixed feelings

about how well they worked.  But I am somewhat considering getting one of these.

post #2615 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 09:08 AM

^ The Darblet.
http://darbeevision.com/darblet

It can be fun to setup so that CEC and HDMI inits work properly, but once going it is really good.
post #2616 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I love the Darblet. I have it at HD 50% myself (HD 75% for video games, animated movies, and 3D content). It's fantastic!

I just made a post very recently in it that shows the effects.
post #2617 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Muffin,

Please keep me updated on your impressions of 3D.

This is critical for me switching out my ZT60 for the F8500.

Well, I just tried The Avengers again and I'm having the same brightness pops issue with that one. I do wonder if it's isolated, though. I only say that because nobody else seems to be claiming to see what I see. I think I'm going to have to record it too, because despite my limited attempts to watch 3D on this thing, I have only seen it on this disc and not any others.

I don't know what it would be like to record a 3D thing, though. That might take me a while. Anyway, I don't think the crosstalk has been addressed on mine either. Didn't yet try Pacific Rim again, but from what I saw on The Avengers, I feel little has changed in that regard. But again, some people haven't ever had an issue with crosstalk, so you could also possibly luck out. There's just no saying, I suppose.

I would suggest you hold onto the ZT60 unless you have some other major reason you need the F8500.

Oh, but I am so glad my TV is fixed through the reset that was proposed. Thanks so much again, guys! I like watching my TV again! biggrin.gif
post #2618 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Have the Darbee, that I have now moved over to the wife's set, and the Halite that's an improved Darbee on mine. Second Halite on order for the PN64F8500 - currently sitting somewhere in the US Postal System! New type of 3D Glasses from Dimensional Optical sitting out on the West Coast in BC. May get to see one, or the other, or both this coming week - Canada and US Post being willing!
post #2619 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 09:23 AM

There's a better model? Linkie? I know they were pumping them out in Oppo players but wasn't aware of a newer stand alone unit.
post #2620 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

There's a better model? Linkie? I know they were pumping them out in Oppo players but wasn't aware of a newer stand alone unit.

It uses the same algorithm as the Darblet, but the body looks much better and I'm sure is a lot more stable (no handshake issues or resetting).

Basically, if you don't yet own a Darblet and don't mind spending $50 more, you might as well get the Halite.
post #2621 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Sooooo....

The Halite is essentially the Darblet in better casing?

I would spring $50 for the Halite as it does look like something that would meld better with the home rack system.

Quote:
Well, I just tried The Avengers again and I'm having the same brightness pops issue with that one.

Scary to hear this.

And even worse, not a lot of people in this thread are talking about 3D on the Samsung, or at least, don't seem interested in it.

Hard to get a better consensus on the situation.

post #2622 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Ahh okay, so no new processing going on then. My Darblet is hidden behind my AVR so no problems. I can still control it via IR.
post #2623 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

Sooooo....

The Halite is essentially the Darblet in better casing?

I would spring $50 for the Halite as it does look like something that would meld better with the home rack system.

Scary to hear this.

And even worse, not a lot of people in this thread are talking about 3D on the Samsung, or at least, don't seem interested in it.

Hard to get a better consensus on the situation.
Don't do anything rash, Ronald. A former disbeliever (too dim!) in the panel you currently have has been won over after calibration: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/5610#post_24128158
post #2624 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't do anything rash, Ronald. A former disbeliever (too dim!) in the panel you currently have has been won over after calibration

Yes, read that.  However, there are no guarantees.

I spoke with D-NICE (DeWayne) on the phone a few weeks ago.  After describing the dimness problem he suggested I *might* have a defective display.

This is the second person that has come forward to say that he has been able to get his ZT60 calibrated brighter.

Been trying to reach D-NICE.  If he thinks he can do that, then I may not have to swap out the display.

But time is running out.

post #2625 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Good luck.
post #2626 of 7562 Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

That will work, good think you do not have a glass top......... wink.gif

Makes it nice and easy to put in screws to hold in the plank in place.
post #2627 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Guys, is there a consensus on the latest firmware update? Having had mine professionally ISF'd, I don't want to have to do any factory resets to restore lost PQ. Probably more importantly, did this last update add anything?
post #2628 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:

Yes, read that.  However, there are no guarantees.

I spoke with D-NICE (DeWayne) on the phone a few weeks ago.  After describing the dimness problem he suggested I *might* have a defective display.

This is the second person that has come forward to say that he has been able to get his ZT60 calibrated brighter.

Been trying to reach D-NICE.  If he thinks he can do that, then I may not have to swap out the display.

But time is running out.

You would not be the first person to swap out a ZT for an 8500, Ron. You could wind up happier.

Regardless of whether you can pump out some extra brightness from the ZT, you'll never achieve the levels of the 8500 and you'll never wind up with an ABL that's less aggressive like that in the 8500.

I find the black levels of the 8500 truly excellent and only very marginally worse than the ZT. To my eyes the 8500 is a better rounded display., though both are superb, so it's hard to make a mistake.

Good luck, I'm sure this isn't easy.
post #2629 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Ken,

Excellent advice.

This is going to probably be a one-time swap.  I am paying to have it done since it involves the retailer bringing a vehicle down (140 miles round trip) with the display and crew to set it up.  The retailer also wants to be certain that the ZT60 is properly shipped back -- so another reason for the service being done.

I am in my home alone and unable to lift the display to merely attach the stand.

Why do I bring this up?

One shot to get this right.

With all the recent complaints about the F8500 (buzzing, excessive 3D crosstalk, vertical banding, floating blacks) -- what are the chances I get a perfect display?

I am willing to risk it, Ken.  Just makes this more stressful, you understand.  :)

Thanks for taking the time to help.  Appreciated.

post #2630 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Ron,

I think Ken is right about the 8500 being an all round better display.

Until you can see how much ABL screws with the picture, you have no idea what you're missing.

I once put an LCD display next to my plasma to do some gamma comparisons. The ABL behavior is what stood out more.

An example is when an ad has a very light (high key) background, the total image dims which makes the actor's faces too dark on the panny VT50s. I presume the VT and ZT 60s are the same. The less of this behavior you can have, the better.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2631 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:

I have a glass top. Should I worry about the Samsung 65" display resting on it?
Yes, that glass can spontaneously crack under to much pressure, will that happen to your glass, only god knows. Here ya go >>>>> Click Here

What weight limit does it have, if you do not know I know I would not chance it, a nice, cheap wood stand is $300 or less........

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #2632 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Yes, that glass can spontaneously crack under to much pressure, will that happen to your glass, only god knows. Here ya go >>>>> Click Here

What weight limit does it have, if you do not know I know I would not chance it, a nice, cheap wood stand is $300 or less........

Even if you have a Glass top, the plank and front and back supplemental pieces, like I showed, would take the pressure off the the 2 end points and distribute the weight evenly over the whole stand. You would just have to come up with a method to stop the plank from moving. (Two sided tape, felt pads under the plank and supplemental pieces, etc.) . I think one member showed he went all out and sculpted the wood support to match the actual stand. Again felt pads could be attached under the stand to now take some of the end pieces pressure off, and apply it more evenly.
(or a second piece of glass to give more resilience)
post #2633 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Guys, is there a consensus on the latest firmware update? Having had mine professionally ISF'd, I don't want to have to do any factory resets to restore lost PQ. Probably more importantly, did this last update add anything?

To answer your questions in order:

1) If you were following along at all, you'd know I had about twelve days of complete and utter frustration over the fact that 1115 and 1116 basically "ruined" my set. The factory reset didn't work until two members discovered a different way of doing the reset, which finally worked for me. I have a feeling this would work for everybody if it did for me. I'm so relieved! So basically I'm going to do this after every update. I will always have to question if picture quality will improve all the same, though. I'm also going to test somebody's suggestion on Game Mode and calling my input Game to see if it truly does reduce input lag now.

2) Honestly on the PQ thing, if you have your settings written down/saved somewhere, it takes you four minutes. Maybe a little longer if you go through the setup process again. I don't think it's annoying at all, but I can only do it when I'm the only person in the room is all. If you have them set on CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT, it will remember your standard settings for those (cell Light, tint, etc.) and white balance settings. It will default your 10 pt. white balance, your color balance (which takes the longest to re-do I guess), and Picture Options. Up to you, man. For a one-time deal, I'd do it. Hell, I did it like four times altogether. I'm not too frustrated over it, but it's up to you. Your measurements will remain the same.

3) As you know I'm coming off a soft, fuzzy image after the update and was pissed at how everything looked. Well now after the proper reset, I am convinced that my Blu-ray movies look much ****ing better. I was watching Jeopardy last night too and was just smiling at how the contestants looked... either "again" or "now," but the detail is either back or is better than ever. It's strange that bad sources actually look "worse." They don't really look worse themselves, but it's like the new picture image algorithm is trying to bring out more detail in everything (think of like the DarbeeVision Darblet)... so with cleaner, better looking high-definition sources such as Blu-ray movies, holy **** it looks fantastic. People mentioned black levels being better? It could be, but I have no frustrations or quarrels over the top and bottom black bars in letterbox framing at all after this update for sure. No improvements to 3D as far as I'm concerned, and I still can't see a shred of difference in the Black Optimizer setting among all of the options. But like I said, let me try the input lag thing and see if it works now, because on 1110 it certainly doesn't help.
Damien Inferno likes this.
post #2634 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The stand is still listed on Amazon with my review intact:

http://www.amazon.com/BellO-AVSC2208-60-Inch-150lbs-Espresso/dp/B003GALRJ4/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388334736&sr=1-24&keywords=bell%27o+tv+stand

It is rated for 150 lbs.  The ZT60 that sits on it now is (I believe) 110 lbs.

I am most likely swapping it for the Samsung F8500 which is just under 80 lbs.

So, the weight is okay.

The potential problem is weight distribution.

The stand is just about 58" across.  The stand on the Samsung TV will have about 1/2-1" overhang on each side.  If most of the weight on that display is dispersed to the last few inches of the stand, then that is where my concern lies.

post #2635 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way, I'm just wondering... if I rename the input to Game, is there anything else I'm changing in my settings or picture itself? Like is there any harm done to doing that where I couldn't just have it one all of the time?
post #2636 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Ken: As you know, I also had my 64F8500 professionally calibrated by Kevin Miller, and didn't want to reset the Samsung. I applied the latest firmware 1116, and to my untrained eye, I didn't notice any PQ degradation nor change.

Blu-ray movies still look awesome (from my OPPO-103), Netflix super HD steaming is outstanding via Apple TV (Gen 3), and DirecTV has no difference. I watch most of our viewing via the CAL-NIGHT picture setting.

Dave

Samsung PN64F8500, Marantz AV8801, MM8077, MM7025, OPPO BDP-103, Sony C333ES CD Changer, Thorens TD-190, DirecTV HD DVRs HR44-500 & HR24-100

post #2637 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Quote:

The stand is still listed on Amazon with my review intact:

http://www.amazon.com/BellO-AVSC2208-60-Inch-150lbs-Espresso/dp/B003GALRJ4/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388334736&sr=1-24&keywords=bell%27o+tv+stand

It is rated for 150 lbs.  The ZT60 that sits on it now is (I believe) 110 lbs.

I am most likely swapping it for the Samsung F8500 which is just under 80 lbs.

So, the weight is okay.

The potential problem is weight distribution.

The stand is just about 58" across.  The stand on the Samsung TV will have about 1/2-1" overhang on each side.  If most of the weight on that display is dispersed to the last few inches of the stand, then that is where my concern lies.

I was wondering if someone could elaborate as to why there's a big weight disparity between the two sets(they're almost the same screen size), as it seems they both perform very well.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #2638 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

I was wondering if someone could elaborate as to why there's a big weight disparity between the two sets(they're almost the same screen size), as it seems they both perform very well.

There's only something near 18# difference 64" VS 65" less the stand. The pedestal type stand on the Panasonic is 19# VS the 7.5# of the Samsung. The weight difference of the stand should help maybe some understand the weight distribution of the Samsung stand VS the mention by some that it's weight is only supported by extreme ends of the stand. The placement of the supports to the base is misunderstood by some when they comment on the weight concentration

The Panasonics weight is concentrated on the dimensions of the pedestal mount and I'd think should be a concern maybe if it's to be used on "glass" or a stand of maybe marginal weight limits.
post #2639 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

My suggestion would be to perform all updates with all inputs disconnected. Since it appears that the failed updates failed due to those inputs, upgrading without any connections should avoid that situation.

Because I also did not want to do a full factory reset, I upgraded from 1115 to 1116 from a USB stick.

And all I see different is apps...

Potentially useful stuff,
post #2640 of 7562 Old 12-29-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Re Pro Calibration:
The Calibrator should have left you with a Print Out (or Computer File) detailing all your settings.
Unfortunately for me, the THX Calibrator left me with one Green looking set, one Golden looking set, and one not very 3D looking set. Sadly, found this all out after he was paid and he'd left. Definitely ignored his settings report re what he calibrated into my set. (He played the S&M Demo Blu-ray which seems to look good no matter how badly your settings are off.)
Now I calibrate my own! Do I write down my settings - No! - the settings will all be different on next calibration.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page