Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 6501 Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Watcher12,

Did you ask yourself why you didn't notice anything off with the color? smile.gif

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 6501 Old 01-04-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Watcher12,

Did you ask yourself why you didn't notice anything off with the color? smile.gif

It's a good question. I don't know how long its been off but I suspect it was after the 1116 update. I've watched a few blu-rays since then and a couple of things on Netflix but nothing that I am familiar with. That lack of baseline is probably why I didn't notice. But I clearly see it now when switching the color space between Custom and Auto. The red of the Chiefs helmets go from blown-out to natural, as does the blue of the Colts jerseys. Looks much more lifelike as opposed to that torched look.

Of course, that begs the question, if you never saw your set with custom settings, would you ever know the difference? smile.gif
post #2883 of 6501 Old 01-04-2014, 03:41 PM

Liked: 10
I have this posted on its own thread, but thought it would be better served here ....

Basically, I've isolated a problem using HDMI 3 with "ARC," where the top portion of my video will desync. I've actually exchanged a Marantz SR6008 thinking it was the problem (currently on order), only to use my TV and see the problem reoccur.

The Problem: The top portion of my screen will "desync" or "lag" behind the bottom portion of the screen. Usually effects the top 6-14 inches, will last for about 10-15 seconds and clear. It will than occur about ever 10-15 minutes. Let's just say its SUPREMELY annoying.

So, I originally thought it was my Marantz, since it occurred across all devices... I never thought to switch HDMI input's on the TV, of course until it happened again last night. I never saw the issue come back up again once I switched to HDMI 1, a non-ARC supported input port.

The cables I've been using are ones supplied with my Xbox One and some BlueRigger 15ft cables (http://bluerigger.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=1&catid=1&prodid=1). I'm not sure if the Xbox One cable is 1.4 or if the BlueRigger is 1.4 - neither of them really say. I know ARC came about with the 1.4 specification - does anyone really think the 1.4 v 1.3 difference (if it actually exists in this case) could be the cause ?

I have until Jan 15th to return the TV ... Currently I'm going to go get a known 1.4 compliant cable and see if that makes a difference tonight ...

I tried to capture it via video or photo but it really wouldn't help at all ... Using the XBOX One's Game DVR feature, I can see that it doesn't show, so it's not coming from the source (Xbox). It occurs on a DirecTV box and Wii U as well. It DOES NOT show using apps, netflix or amazon prime.

Any inputs would be appreciated!

Thanks!
post #2884 of 6501 Old 01-04-2014, 03:50 PM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afviolettes View Post

I have this posted on its own thread, but thought it would be better served here ....

Basically, I've isolated a problem using HDMI 3 with "ARC," where the top portion of my video will desync. I've actually exchanged a Marantz SR6008 thinking it was the problem (currently on order), only to use my TV and see the problem reoccur.

The Problem: The top portion of my screen will "desync" or "lag" behind the bottom portion of the screen. Usually effects the top 6-14 inches, will last for about 10-15 seconds and clear. It will than occur about ever 10-15 minutes. Let's just say its SUPREMELY annoying.

So, I originally thought it was my Marantz, since it occurred across all devices... I never thought to switch HDMI input's on the TV, of course until it happened again last night. I never saw the issue come back up again once I switched to HDMI 1, a non-ARC supported input port.

The cables I've been using are ones supplied with my Xbox One and some BlueRigger 15ft cables (http://bluerigger.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=1&catid=1&prodid=1). I'm not sure if the Xbox One cable is 1.4 or if the BlueRigger is 1.4 - neither of them really say. I know ARC came about with the 1.4 specification - does anyone really think the 1.4 v 1.3 difference (if it actually exists in this case) could be the cause ?

I have until Jan 15th to return the TV ... Currently I'm going to go get a known 1.4 compliant cable and see if that makes a difference tonight ...

I tried to capture it via video or photo but it really wouldn't help at all ... Using the XBOX One's Game DVR feature, I can see that it doesn't show, so it's not coming from the source (Xbox). It occurs on a DirecTV box and Wii U as well. It DOES NOT show using apps, netflix or amazon prime.

Any inputs would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Are you actually using ARC on HDMI 3 or just the HDMI input? I use HDMI 3 as my Blu-ray player's video input. I wonder why I haven't seen this?
post #2885 of 6501 Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 PM

Watcher,

As of right now no since I sent my receiver back erroneously frown.gif Since I had originally thought it was the culprit.

Now though, I just had it plugged into HDMI 3 as if it were a normal device and it was still occurring - it's perfectly possible that the input on the back of the TV is "bad," just trying to rule everything out before I box this behemoth back up and wait a week for a replacement.
post #2886 of 6501 Old 01-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afviolettes View Post

Watcher,

As of right now no since I sent my receiver back erroneously frown.gif Since I had originally thought it was the culprit.

Now though, I just had it plugged into HDMI 3 as if it were a normal device and it was still occurring - it's perfectly possible that the input on the back of the TV is "bad," just trying to rule everything out before I box this behemoth back up and wait a week for a replacement.

What source do you have hooked up to HDMI 3? Blu-ray player? What are your Motion Judder Canceler settings? I wonder if HDMI 3 is the culprit for the stutters I see every few minutes when watching Blu-rays with MJC set to Smooth, or if that's just a lingering bug with MJC. Sounds like you are seeing something totally different, though. I think I've seen what you are describing but only during commercials on Hulu. Not using an HDMI input there, of course, so doubt its related unless what's really the culprit is MJC.
post #2887 of 6501 Old 01-04-2014, 04:08 PM

Right now I have my Xbox 1 hooked up to it with my DirecTV box feeding into the Xbox 1. Prior to returning the Marantz receiver I had the Xbox 1 and a Wii U into the receiver, with the receiver going to HDMI 3. My Motion Judder settings are set to "off." So regardless of the Marantz being in the picture, I get the "desync" IF plugged into HDMI 3.

Marantz suggested it was an HDMI handshake problem and gave me a recommended boot up sequence, but that never changed anything.

For me it doesn't show when using any smart hub features - basically when its "internal TV" functions I don't see it - only when I'm utilizing the HDMI Input 3 does it show.

In all reality, I don't need anything more than 1 HDMI port (and really don't "need" to use HDMI 3 for ARC) since I have the Marantz receiver ... If someone in the community has heard of the problem or knows of the issue I'd like to know if there's a way to fix it ...

I think its going to come down to whether or not I want to go through the hassle of returning the TV and waiting a week or two for a new one all for a port I wouldn't use ... On principle of paying lots of $$$$ for something and it's not 100% working, I want to return it :P
post #2888 of 6501 Old 01-04-2014, 04:08 PM

Liked: 11
Firmware 1117 downloading here in Canada see what they improved this time, I'll keep you posted
post #2889 of 6501 Old 01-04-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:

Sound like you're as passionate about it as I am.

What would be interesting would be to put an F8500 next to an F8000 and compare ABL.

Yup. I'm very passionate about well-behaved ABL circuitry since I think it so directly impacts PQ. I think if more people saw a good A/B with the right material and how significant the differences can be, more would be passionate like us Jim. It certainly pushed me to the 8500 when comparing it to the ZT60.

As for the 8000, yes, with no need for an ABL, it bests the 8500 in that category. If it had been a true local dimmer like the Sharp Elite, its black levels would have been better and more competitive with the 8500.
post #2890 of 6501 Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher12 View Post

So I sent an email to Samsung complaining about the post-1116 blurry picture issue. They got back to me the next day with instructions on how to factory reset the TV in the Menu. No physical button remote required.

For those who don't know, it's Menu --> Support --> Self Diagnosis --> Reset --> Enter PIN. Can't believe I missed it after all the time I've spent over the past six months surfing through the menu. smile.gif

THANKS for this! if i haven't set up a PIN, is there a pre set code? hope i don't need to use this, but just in case!

samsung PN51F8500. marantz sr5008. sony bdp s5100. emp tek e55tib LR, e5cib, e55wib. sennheiser momentum. sig sauer p250.
post #2891 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has the floating blacks issue with dark room optimizer activated been fixed by firmware updates or do black levels still fluctuate between .002 - .006 depending on the scene?

Looking for factual information as to if black levels now remain stable with DRO or if they still float.
post #2892 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post

Has the floating blacks issue with dark room optimizer activated been fixed by firmware updates or do black levels still fluctuate between .002 - .006 depending on the scene?

Looking for factual information as to if black levels now remain stable with DRO or if they still float.

Which most recent FW has reported fluctuating?
post #2893 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is a tough crowd. smile.gif

You don't find very many calibration reports and instrument measurements as in other display threads.

It might just be that the display looks pretty good to start with that there isn't a rush to have it professionally calibrated. Doing the basic stuff is enough.

Still doesn't answer your question, sorry.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2894 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:

I don't know whether blacks still float or not, but its been a very long time since anyone complained about it or even mentioned noticing it. To me that translates to 'no issue' or 'much ado about nothing'. smile.gif

Let's put it this way, if the issue still exists in any degree, nobody is seeing it. Why? Because as the scene brightens, your eye has no time to adjust to see a very slight increase in black levels.

Did I say much ado about nothing?
post #2895 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 06:52 AM

Liked: 168
^ Comparatively subjectively I wonder if that is a factor in others including myself reporting 'darker blacks' with the latest FW.

For instance I use The Hobbit as a visual test reference which has excellent dark to light scenes and it does seem to play 'blacker' than before. Difficult to pin down but certainly appears darker.
post #2896 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 06:57 AM

It could be that BO has either improved or had a bug fix or two.

To add: I'm thinking more along the lines of a more efficient BO process so that dark areas get blacker quicker.- It wouldn't necessarily mean that the TV can get darker than before but it's working better.
post #2897 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher12 View Post

So I sent an email to Samsung complaining about the post-1116 blurry picture issue. They got back to me the next day with instructions on how to factory reset the TV in the Menu. No physical button remote required.

For those who don't know, it's Menu --> Support --> Self Diagnosis --> Reset --> Enter PIN. Can't believe I missed it after all the time I've spent over the past six months surfing through the menu. smile.gif

Before I did the reset I went into the picture options to log my settings in a Word doc and realized that all of my White Point and Color Space settings had been reset on all inputs, including 3D. This must have happened in some recent firmware update because I definitely had never reset them. I'm using PieandChips' settings so no big deal, but that will teach me to log the settings right away should I ever calibrate the set on my own.

After doing the factory reset everything has gone smoothly. Re-setup the set, scanned for OTA channels, logged into apps (which were not uninstalled), etc. Now my PQ in streaming apps is not blurry as it was after the 1116 update.

A minor annoyance, but not the end of the world. I've got the NFL playoffs on via an OTA digital tuner and the PQ is stunning!

Interesting. I wonder if this is equivalent to the service menu factory reset method ???

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #2898 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:

This is a tough crowd. smile.gif

You don't find very many calibration reports and instrument measurements as in other display threads.

It might just be that the display looks pretty good to start with that there isn't a rush to have it professionally calibrated. Doing the basic stuff is enough.
I couldn't disagree more with the implication (I am not in a rush to have my set calibrated because it, too, looks rather fantastic out of the box...this is a good thing due to tight finances).
post #2899 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I couldn't disagree more with the implication (I am not in a rush to have my set calibrated because it, too, looks rather fantastic out of the box...this is a good thing due to tight finances).
Calibration is a choice, it is not something that is needed.............
post #2900 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 AM

I just bought an F8500 and have only one gripe: In a bright room, I am seeing horizontal banding, both when my F8500 is off and when looking at dark scenes with reflections on the screen. After searching the web, it is exactly the problem I saw pictured on a website called, rtgs.com. (See picture attached. Ignore vertical lines, which are apparently on the wall being reflected.) I did not have this problem with a previous Panasonic TV. Is this a common occurrence with the F8500? Does the f8500 have to be viewed in a dark room to avoid this?

post #2901 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhersco View Post

I just bought an F8500 and have only one gripe: In a bright room, I am seeing horizontal banding, both when my F8500 is off and when looking at dark scenes with reflections on the screen. After searching the web, it is exactly the problem I saw pictured on a website called, rtgs.com. (See picture attached. Ignore vertical lines, which are apparently on the wall being reflected.) I did not have this problem with a previous Panasonic TV. Is this a common occurrence with the F8500? Does the f8500 have to be viewed in a dark room to avoid this?

From that picture I don't see any horizontal banding - I see a TON of reflection, probably due to the lighting setup in the room. Have you tried to view the TV making sure you have no reflections at all ? IE all the lights are off and really the only light emitting source is the TV ? Even when I had an LED TV I would get reflections, it was my choice how I'd set up my room so if I set it up and it had reflections while watching... well that's not the TV's problem ...
post #2902 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Are you referring to the horizontal black bars above and below the actual picture?????

post #2903 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 79

At first, I thought there was horizontal banding in that picture.

But on closer inspection, it's the reflection of the striped wall behind the room lighting.

muffinmcfluffin likes this.
post #2904 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

At first, I thought there was horizontal banding in that picture.

But on closer inspection, it's the reflection of the striped wall behind the room lighting.

Its not the reflections that are the issue. All TVs do that. It's the horizontal reflections that are added by the F8500 screen. Look closely at the example photos below. The horizontal lines from the reflected wall that are showing in the background on the TV are not on the actual wall.

(Below is the wall reflected from the Samsung F8500.)

(Below is the same wall reflected from a Panasonic TV. No horizontal lines.)

The horizontal lines (shadows) are created by the TV screen. In my home, a light wall behind me as I view the TV is reflected on the TV with horizontal shadows just like the ones in the photo. Also, sky reflected from a window on the side shows up on the TV with rows of horizontal shadows (See photo below.) This effect can be seen in all light colored reflections when the TV is off and when dark images cover the TV screen when it is on.

post #2905 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 PM

I've had my 60" F8500 for about a month. I've focused mostly on the picture and viewing varying content. I thought I would play around with the Smart TV and the use of the Guide and Channel List provided by the set rather than the cable provider.

When I go into the menu the"Edit Favorites" is greyed out. This prevents me from making much progress.

I'm sure its some newbie thing. Can someone give me some pointers on actually getting my favorites lists set-up?

Note this is on my HDMI STB source. If I change to TV it isn't greyed out, but I'm not seeing any channels there.
post #2906 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:

This effect can be seen in all light colored reflections when the TV is off and when dark images cover the TV screen when it is on.

That looks like some sort of polarization effect possibly coming from the screen filter. Does it happen in the dark?
post #2907 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

That looks like some sort of polarization effect possibly coming from the screen filter. Does it happen in the dark?

No problem in a dark room. I'm pretty sure that it is due to the anti-glare filter. It's just an annoyance for what, otherwise, is a fantastic TV.
post #2908 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 PM

Yes then no point exchanging. Move or angle TV to fix.
post #2909 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM

One more annoyance with my F8500: The error message telling me to check the STB every time I switch inputs. I use an AVR to do my switching and have a Blu-ray player and an Apple Tv connected to it. I don't have an STB, unless my cable box qualifies as one. Is there a way to stop this message from appearing every time I switch devices?
post #2910 of 6501 Old 01-05-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

One more annoyance with my F8500: The error message telling me to check the STB every time I switch inputs. I use an AVR to do my switching and have a Blu-ray player and an Apple Tv connected to it. I don't have an STB, unless my cable box qualifies as one. Is there a way to stop this message from appearing every time I switch devices?

I am getting mine next week and have been reading all the threads ahead of time. maybe this will help http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1530#post_23704025
jhersco likes this.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page