Panasonic Plasma Comparisons...a note to the reviewers and calibrators - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I first want to say that I have two VT25s at home...a 58" and a 54". Both TVs are absolutely stunning and the only thing I regret is not buying the 65" when I had the chance. Now I'm moving into a new house and really want a 65" but don't want to part with $3500 to get one!

So I've been reading all of the AV message boards about the pros and cons of this year's models...The ST60 is perfect in everyway except for the mysterious lag...the VT is great per CNET but is not good in bright rooms? But the ZT60 is great in Bright rooms as is the ST60....? So here I sit with (2) VT25s which I love and I compare every other TV to. I probably won't end up with the ST60 now because of the lag and the substandard 3D performance, not that I really use either. The thing that worries me is the VT25 supposedly isn't good in bright rooms! I don't want that either....I want a TV that's good in bright rooms....so that leaves me with the ZT60?

Not so fast. I went to several websites to find the actually before and after calibration panel brightness so i could compare the 50/60 series Panasonics to my VT25. And guess what I found...the panel brightness of the ST60/VT60 is actually just as bright as the calibrated version of the VT25. When calibrated, its much brighter. Even though the reviews of the new 60 series say that they aren't good in bright rooms really doesn't hold up. My VT25s with D-Nice's settings that look great in bright rooms are much dimmer than the new 60 series plasmas. I guess what I'm trying to say is be careful with all of the reviews and remember that the reviews are relative to this years models...but not necessarily previous models...which are all us "common people" have to reference against. We don't have all of the newest year TVs side by side to look at...only our older TV.

I do REALLY appreciate all of the reviews on this and other sites.... but this is a suggestion to the reviewers and calibrators. Please make sure to qualify subjective statements such as "this TV doesn't perform well in bright rooms" with actual data. And compare the data of the older TVs to the newer ones so we have a frame of reference. If we had a chart with the data from all of the plasmas from the last 6 years...then if we own one already (which most of us do), have something to compare it to that we know very well. And now I know that if my VT25 is perfect in every room, that a brighter 60 series will be even better! Any of them would be better! But by watching the CNET review video, I wouldn't know that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 318
You make a good point, and to be perfectly honest with you, although I've been a member of CNET for many years, I'm not that big a fan of their TV reviews. What YOU see is what you get. In the end, the final analysis must be yours.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P58vt25 58 Inch 3d 1080p Viera Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page