OFFICIAL LG 60PN5700 60" Class Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 678 Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I paiD 699 last monday....grrrr...gotta see if they will credit me $70.???

"I'm done with upgrading my HT system...really...simply done...really this time!!"
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.allanmichael.vpweb.com

http://www.aestheticrealism.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 678 Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageless83 View Post

Yes the 5300 is $599 and the 5700 was $629.
Yeah I can confirm the St. Louis Microcenter also has the 5700 at $630 -- they claim the price is good until 11/30. The first batch apparently sold out fast, but I'm on a waitlist for the next shipment (possibly tomorrow). *fingers crossed*

-Matt
post #183 of 678 Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM

I called MC and was told that they have a price match policy that lasts for 30 days. Whew.

"I'm done with upgrading my HT system...really...simply done...really this time!!"

post #184 of 678 Old 11-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowabs View Post

I called MC and was told that they have a price match policy that lasts for 30 days. Whew.
Lucky you now go get that money. Also does it include Black Friday deals incase the TV is sold cheaper.

post #185 of 678 Old 11-16-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Lucky you now go get that money. Also does it include Black Friday deals incase the TV is sold cheaper.
Ah, interesting question! If I manage to grab one before BF I'll be curious to see what MC says. However, I should note that Amazon is now showing as *really* out of stock (though several third-party Marketplace sellers are still listing, at considerably higher prices). My hunch is LG has shipped out the last of what they have -- I somehow doubt we'll see any more inventory toward the end of the month.

-Matt
post #186 of 678 Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:

GOT IT!! smile.gif
$76.91 Back on AMEX card. Idk about BF deals actually. Wait n see...

btw..Westbury L.I. has 3 left.

post #187 of 678 Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Liked: 15

ready to get this from my microcenter (westbury) which has told me for the last couple days "itll be in stock tomorrow..."
buying this for my parents who are about 3 hours away from any microcenter store (im 20 min away) have a couple questions first ...

1. glare - they have a large bay window to the left of the tv, but usually only watch tv at night. I think I could just put up some blackout curtains for daytime watching but first want to know if anybody has this tv and can watch with a light source nearby how bearable is it?

2. warranty - mircrocenter is pushing their 200 dollar warranty redic, but squaretrade has a 100 dollar 4 yr warranty. did you guys pick up a warranty? never used squaretrade for anything is their service worth it ?

3. I plan on buying the tv and keeping it in my house for ~10 days to make sure theres no problems before I bring it up to my parents. What should I do to break in this tv? why do some people do hours and hours of slide show and others don't?

4. what can possibly go wrong in the future? burn on image, does it still occur with these new plasma's? dead pixels, are they hard to fix? broken glass, can that even be fixed?

5. is there any video reviews for this tv online anywhere?

6. is the Netflix trial still available with purchase?

i would be very grateful for any info even though it seems that they will never get this back in stock

post #188 of 678 Old 11-19-2013, 09:28 PM

1. None.
2. not for a 629 dollar tv.
3. w/o my picture stunk...after slides tv rivals Panasonic ZTs.
4. ??? i dk.
5. a ton of text reviews on the net--including here...
6. no.

7. hurry & get 1 b4 they are gone. --GREAT TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #189 of 678 Old 11-20-2013, 09:30 AM

Looks like I'll be joining the owners club. Just purchased a 5700, but won't pick up until Saturday. I'm pretty relieved that I'll stop spamming this thread with shopping info and start spamming it with calibration and other user-relevant info/questions! J/K cool.gif

-Matt
post #190 of 678 Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Great. Welcome to the family.
Lol.

post #191 of 678 Old 11-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post

Looks like I'll be joining the owners club. Just purchased a 5700, but won't pick up until Saturday. I'm pretty relieved that I'll stop spamming this thread with shopping info and start spamming it with calibration and other user-relevant info/questions! J/K cool.gif

-Matt

me too!!!!! just bought it earlier tonight. just word of caution for you I bought it and found out real quick that it wouldn't fit in my Nissan maxima then had a friend bring a Toyota highlander over and it didn't really fit in there either (put it diagonally and it kept sliding flat) so I LEFT IT AT THE STORE on hold for 2 days (already paid for it mind you) I will rent a pickup truck to pick it up tomorrow. (im also driving over 200 miles with it so im not going to take a chance)

*fyi putting it down flat can be done in an SUV, however when transporting a plasma aka single sheet of glass transporting it upright increases its tensile strength and reduces possibility of breaking the glass. laying it flat just like laying a flat sheet of glass down can be problematic when going over bumps NEVER put it face down, if you lay it on its back so the glass is facing up then you can chance it if you don't go over bumps and drive carefully for a short distance.

the guy at microcenter who tried to help load it told us that he knew it shouldnt be put flat but thought the duration of time it lays flat is what can cause a problem with the tv. not so

Also it says the tv is 83 lbs, it was definitely heavy and needs 2 people to manipulate it.  just be prepared for when you bring it on home.

edit: people usually bring some kind of padding or duvet to lay down if they think they might have to lay the tv down.

gadgetrants likes this.
post #192 of 678 Old 11-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Hmmmmm....
I live in Brooklyn in New York City and my friends Highlander I think it a million bumps with this 5700 laying flat and I haven't had a single problem with this beautiful screen. :-)

post #193 of 678 Old 11-21-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaml20 View Post

me too!!!!! just bought it earlier tonight. just word of caution for you I bought it and found out real quick that it wouldn't fit in my Nissan maxima then had a friend bring a Toyota highlander over and it didn't really fit in there either (put it diagonally and it kept sliding flat) so I LEFT IT AT THE STORE on hold for 2 days (already paid for it mind you) I will rent a pickup truck to pick it up tomorrow. (im also driving over 200 miles with it so im not going to take a chance)

*fyi putting it down flat can be done in an SUV, however when transporting a plasma aka single sheet of glass transporting it upright increases its tensile strength and reduces possibility of breaking the glass. laying it flat just like laying a flat sheet of glass down can be problematic when going over bumps NEVER put it face down, if you lay it on its back so the glass is facing up then you can chance it if you don't go over bumps and drive carefully for a short period of time.
the guy at microcenter who tried to help load it told us that he knew it shouldnt be put flat but thought the duration of time it lays flat is what can cause a problem with the tv. not so
Also it says the tv is 83 lbs, it was definitely heavy and needs 2 people to manipulate it.  just be prepared for when you bring it on home.
Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated. I'm a bit puzzled by the Highlander outcome...I asked my "guy" to shoot me the box dimensions, and he replied with: "The box dimensions are H-38.5" W-58.5" D-11.5"" Just checked LG's specs on the TV and the "box" size is mighty close to the TV size. Hmmm, after measuring my minivan there's plenty of room, but I still wonder why the Highlander didn't work out -- did the back row of seats fold down?

-Matt
post #194 of 678 Old 11-21-2013, 08:21 PM

yeah the seats folded down and we tried to put the tv in from the back of the suv. The dude insisted that it not be put flat and so we tried to put it upright and it didn't fit upright (the box was too tall) so we tried to put it in diagonally but it just didn't stay that way (kept sliding down) he got an empty box so it might stay at a diagonal by putting the box under the tv and then the tv just crushed the box. since it ended up flat and I didn't know all that info about putting a plasma flat during transport  it scared me a little bit (the dude kept saying I wouldn't do that man and i don't know man) so I just decided to leave it there for the night. I know for a fact it will lay flat in a highlander but didn't know doing so was actually ok.

I'm actually buying it for my parents who live 200 miles away. I was initially going to set it up in my house which is 20 min away from microcenter and then just bring it to my parents once I knew that the tv was 100% so I wouldn't have to bring it back to mc. but now that I know transporting it so far would mean me renting a pickup (50 bucks at hertz for 24 hrs unlimited miles) since my maxima is too small. So in this case  I might as well bring upstate in one shot and hope for the best, I doubt many TV's like this get returned because they are broken (if that was the case they would sell them differently im sure).

so tomorrow after work ill hopefully deliver and set up a 100% working beautiful tv to my parents

post #195 of 678 Old 11-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Ah, now I gotcha. So heightwise it was OK. In my case I'll have some things to put on either side of the box to keep it upright, plus I have rope as well. That should do the trick.

Funny that you mentioned buying it for your parents -- I just commented on an Amazon review -- the owner returned the one they bought for their parents, due to it arriving with a shattered screen (truck delivery). I'm sure your story will have a MUCH happier ending!

-Matt
kaml20 likes this.
post #196 of 678 Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 PM

sorry I didn't write it out clearly. just updated the post (194) so it reads right. I think all will be well if you measure before you go pick up (I clearly didn't do that lol) in the end it doesn't matter for me since I was going to have to eventually transport it "properly" anyways. from what I've read from everybody here all this effort is well worth it.
but I just want to be clear

the box was too tall to be put in vertically into the highlander when trying to open the back of the suv, fold the back seats down and put the tv in that way.

sorry for the confusion.

thanks, im confident it will end well!

post #197 of 678 Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 AM

@kaml20 thanks (again!) for following up. When I checked the measurements on the minivan, the ~39" height was no problem. But then I realize I was measuring the inside height, not the opening from the back. I wonder if the height estimate I got on the box is off, if in fact it didn't fit in the Highlander standing up. Guess I'll call back today and double-check.

So yeah either way I'll bring something (inflatable mattresses? LOL) in case I opt for the horizontal method!

-Matt
post #198 of 678 Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

GOT IT!! smile.gif
$76.91 Back on AMEX card. Idk about BF deals actually. Wait n see...

btw..Westbury L.I. has 3 left.

Did you just call them about it or did you have to go in store to get it?  Also did you go in to see the price or was it online?

post #199 of 678 Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Frye View Post

Did you just call them about it or did you have to go in store to get it?  Also did you go in to see the price or was it online?
I did both. But yes, you do have to go get your card swiped. Earlier poster mentioned it which got me interested. MC has a 30day protection policy.. Never got to see the price or the tv for that matter--- I just bought it off the talk on this thread. Love avsf. Price is never online for some reason.....?....

post #200 of 678 Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post

@kaml20 thanks (again!) for following up. When I checked the measurements on the minivan, the ~39" height was no problem. But then I realize I was measuring the inside height, not the opening from the back. I wonder if the height estimate I got on the box is off, if in fact it didn't fit in the Highlander standing up. Guess I'll call back today and double-check.

So yeah either way I'll bring something (inflatable mattresses? LOL) in case I opt for the horizontal method!

-Matt

spec sheet is here : http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-60PN5700 (link under specification)

it states that shipping dimensions are 60” x 37.4” x 11.2”

I going to hertz rental to rent a dodge grand caravan from hertz tomorrow morning (70 bucks and unlimited miles with AAA card) and try to get to microcenter when they open on sat. I looked at it visually and it looks like it would fit perfectly and now that I check the the specs for the 2013 caravan:

(Cargo area dimensions: width between arches (inches): 49.0, height (inches): 46.2 and loading floor height (inches): 24.4
seems like itll fit. I be bringing some boxes and comforters to keep it from moving.

gadgetrants likes this.
post #201 of 678 Old 11-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 11

Just picked up the TV 2 days ago here are my settings in a living room with glass sliding door. (Bright Room) So you can vary it to your type of lighting in your place. Let me know what you guys think.

Energy Saving: Off

Panel Light 85-95 (varys depending on lighting in room).

Contrast 95

Brightness 80

H Sharpness 10

V sharpness 10

Color 50-55 (your preference)

Tint R5

Everything else is default.

post #202 of 678 Old 11-23-2013, 09:40 PM

Pretty much what I have. Except my room doesn't have that much light. But I never go over 55 on on P.L. and Brightness. (Even when I put it to 55, for hockey and not wanting grey ice, I feel it looks a Lil awkward if I go higher)
Ty

post #203 of 678 Old 11-24-2013, 06:45 AM

Got the new toy home without incident, height was a non-issue:

A few first impressions...

(1) Wow.

(2) I paid...what?...somebody please pinch me.

(3) Super easy to set up -- white-glove is nice but not needed.

(4) Incredible -- found my media server 2 floors away and streams a 9Mbps .TS video file without a single hiccup or stutter, over wifi.

(5) Another nice surprise -- hooked up my Logitech K700 wireless keyboard and both it and the integrated touchpad work seamlessly -- makes web browsing and navigating a lot more fun. (Protip -- with a mouse our touchpad, hover the cursor in the lower left corner to pull up the apps menu, or hover in the upper-right/left to see the TV "info".)

The next two adventures are (1) cleaning up and reworking all the AV wiring I have to/from the receiver, and (2) reprogramming my universal remote.

-Matt
post #204 of 678 Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 AM

everything went as planned with the minivan set it up and it looks amazing couple things and some questions:

1. don't forget the LG Smart phone app that lets you control your tv with your phone, type, use as a gaming controller and also control the mouse like a trackpad using my phone worked amazingly well with the tv, and for some smartphones (not any that we had) it lets you use your phone as a second screen. might be too much for my parents so I'll end up getting a wireless keyboard from amazon

EDIT: staples has the keyboards on sale right now for ~12 bucks compared to amazons 30. link

2. I read over a vast amount of sources regarding breaking the tv in, since my parents have the tv I set it up using a calibration from the thread, putting the contrast and the brightness both down to 50 and stretched the picture so it takes up the whole screen and told my parents to watch the tv like that for a month and not to watch anything that has a logo for >2-3 hours (cnn, discorvery, etc). all this instead of running slideshows for hours. wondering if that's overkill now that I see that some people just turn it on and use it straight away.

3. over the next couple days I will research a bit about dlna technology, from what I saw so far it seems that XBMC can get you a lot of free premium movies and even tv channels but connecting the lg to their powerful computer to run this flawlessly will take some research on my end.

4. can anyone suggest a good receiver for a home theatre? I didn't realize that this only has the new digital audio making their old stereo obsolete.

gadgetrants likes this.
post #205 of 678 Old 11-24-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:

I did both. But yes, you do have to go get your card swiped. Earlier poster mentioned it which got me interested. MC has a 30day protection policy.. Never got to see the price or the tv for that matter--- I just bought it off the talk on this thread. Love avsf. Price is never online for some reason.....?....

Yep!  I went back and got $74.70 back on my card.  Man this tv is an absolute steal!!!  I haven't even seen a Black Friday deal that beats it!!  

post #206 of 678 Old 11-24-2013, 07:58 AM

Liked: 11

So the panel light or the brightness level makes the whites look greyish?

post #207 of 678 Old 11-24-2013, 09:02 AM

No ...I said the ice looks whiter...but not that much. I am getting used to the pic...the pic is great though!

post #208 of 678 Old 11-24-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:

everything went as planned with the minivan set it up and it looks amazing couple things and some questions:

1. don't forget the LG Smart phone app that lets you control your tv with your phone, type, use as a gaming controller and also control the mouse like a trackpad using my phone worked amazingly well with the tv, and for some smartphones (not any that we had) it lets you use your phone as a second screen. might be too much for my parents so I'll end up getting a wireless keyboard from amazon

EDIT: staples has the keyboards on sale right now for ~12 bucks compared to amazons 30. link
Thanks for the reminder on the phone app, and nice find on the keyboard! That's an awesome price. A few things to remember...first, there is no proper "right click" on the touchpad. Second, not all the keys work, in particular the media control keys don't seem to affect media playback on the TV. Menu key appears to have no effect either. However, the PgUp/PgDown keys work fine, as do the volume keys.

EDIT: oops, just noticed the deal at Staples is for the K400 which by all rights looks like a better keyboard (e.g., has a right and left button!).

For anyone who picks up the K400, make sure that it comes with the "unifiying receiver" (USB dongle), which will pair automatically once you put it in the 5700.

Quote:

3. over the next couple days I will research a bit about dlna technology, from what I saw so far it seems that XBMC can get you a lot of free premium movies and even tv channels but connecting the lg to their powerful computer to run this flawlessly will take some research on my end.

Regarding DLNA, I'm a big fan of TVersity. Unfortunately they borked their freeware a few years ago, and I think the newest version is now paid. I'd be happy to post the older, free version that I use. Remember that you can also easily set up media sharing in Windows 7, and the server will automagically show up on the 5700's list of inputs. The thing I like about TVersity is it intelligenty transcodes as a function of the client-side player (though, strangely I noticed that the 5700 refuses to play certain MP4s -- I'll have to investigate that). I've used XBMC before...a bit more of a clunky set-up, but it automatically grabs posters and album art and is really pretty to browse.

An option you may prefer for your parents is to simply attach an external hard drive to the 5700, though that creates other issues (e.g., no TV streaming through that route, downloads have to be moved to the drive, etc.).

-Matt
post #209 of 678 Old 11-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and also new to AV especially plasmas. I purchased a 5700 from dell a couple weeks ago but when we took the cover off the TV the inside of the screen was shattered. Before noticing though we did lay it down flat to put the stand on and then after taking the cover off we noticed the screen. I'm new to plasmas and was wondering if we could of caused it ourselves by laying it down flat or during shipping, not sure.  We were really careful. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Any thoughts?

Thanks~Ben

post #210 of 678 Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairydude View Post

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and also new to AV especially plasmas. I purchased a 5700 from dell a couple weeks ago but when we took the cover off the TV the inside of the screen was shattered. Before noticing though we did lay it down flat to put the stand on and then after taking the cover off we noticed the screen. I'm new to plasmas and was wondering if we could of caused it ourselves by laying it down flat or during shipping, not sure.  We were really careful. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Any thoughts?

Thanks~Ben
Ben, welcome to the forum and 5700-ownership! Having set one up myself 2 days ago, I'd say I'm more that 90% sure you DID NOT harm the screen. I obviously can't say how much of a beating it can take, but I turned mine over 2 or 3 times while working on the stand and it was fine.

And I hate saying this but the merchant carries insurance for just such "shattered on arrival" occasions -- are they giving you a hard time about it? Don't doubt yourself, just be nice and polite and stick to your "I'd like a replacement please," line. smile.gif You might also call your credit card company -- I think both Visa and MC cover such issues (e.g., 90-day accident coverage).

Please post back when you've sorted it out!

-Matt
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Plasma 60pa550c
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page