Best flat panel display TV between 65"-80" under $5000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 06-07-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need a new TV for a living room that gets marginal natural light. We will sit 12-15' away from the TV when viewing. What is the best TV or what TV would you go buy between 65"-85" under $5000 if you had to pick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ$AS View Post

I need a new TV for a living room that gets marginal natural light. We will sit 12-15' away from the TV when viewing. What is the best TV or what TV would you go buy between 65"-85" under $5000 if you had to pick?

The ZT60:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474480/official-zt60-owners-thread/540#post_23402013

The VT60:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-vt65-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2430#post_23401974

The F8500:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk

Any one of these FP's would be a stellar option. The ZT & VT come in 65" options and the F8500 comes in a 64." If performance truly is king for you, then these are surely your best options. If you're going for sheer size, Sharp makes some solid 80" options. (Check out the LC-80LE857, or the LC-80LE757)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472028/which-display-wins-the-shootout-lets-have-some-fun-make-your-predictions-here

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 26 Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
65". ZT60

MY NAME IS SUE!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!!

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
post #4 of 26 Old 06-07-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Crap, wife says that's too much, my new limit is $2500. :/

That being said, does that Samsung have a younger brother?
nightmancometh likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-07-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ$AS View Post

Crap, wife says that's too much, my new limit is $2500. :/

That being said, does that Samsung have a younger brother?

You guys must have a Joint account. biggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #6 of 26 Old 06-20-2013, 12:06 PM

Liked: 12
I wold then go with the ST60. Best TV for the money.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimerrian View Post

I wold then go with the ST60. Best TV for the money.
+1
Best TV on the market when value is a consideration.

post #8 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 15
I do have to be honest avoid Panasonic like the plague people here love them, I fell for it too I bought the ST50. The image retention was so bad Panasonic had it replaced the new TV was fine for 3 months and then boom, the image retention returned I mean watching something for 10 minutes would leave IR for the next 3 or 4 hours. I have seen many people here say they don't have that problem when in fact they do have it they just don't care, many people here think if they don't mind no one else should either. Take that 2500 and buy a 60 F8500 and be happy, that's what I did after I got my refund from Panasonic.

Another problem I had with Panasonic was white was never white but, I was suckered in by all the people here and on cnet telling me the picture was perfect when in fact it was not. I also calibrate my own TV now which I highly recommend
improwise likes this.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 04:34 PM

BTW before anyone comes to start a fight I am just giving the OP my personal experience I know god himself anointed your Panasonic IR free for life even when you game for 42 hours in a row, you are more than welcome to tell that story so lets not fight and call names.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Those "suckered in" include almost every organization that reviews and/or tests TV.

Tony
post #11 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 48
For sitting 12-15' away, I'm thinking at least a 70" screen would be nice. Unfortunately, plasmas top out at 65".
Considering the OP's budget of $2500, I'm thinking a Sharp or Sony 70" LED.

Rec Room: Sony 70X850B/Yamaha A1010/Denon DBT1713/Definitive BP8, CLR2300, SM350/Martin Logan Dynamo1000
Living Room: Samsung 75HU8550/Yamaha A730/Definitive BP8040, BP6, SC4000 Mythos 3/PS3, Xbox 360
Office: Audioengine N22/Fiio D3 DAC/Athena P5/Polk PSW10
Car: Acura ELS DVD-audio/Focal
post #12 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

Those "suckered in" include almost every organization that reviews and/or tests TV.

Yes it does I thought I mentioned that in my original post, it seems like the only thing the pros care about is black level. I have heard many "PROS" say has long as the picture is black and there is nothing white around you your eyes will tell your brain that off white is white

I would much rather have a TV that can display black and true white without needing to trick my eyes into believing bright grey is white.
post #13 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithstrife View Post

Yes it does I thought I mentioned that in my original post, it seems like the only thing the pros care about is black level. I have heard many "PROS" say has long as the picture is black and there is nothing white around you your eyes will tell your brain that off white is white

I would much rather have a TV that can display black and true white without needing to trick my eyes into believing bright grey is white.
True white is a misnomer, as the limitation in whiteness perception is related to how bright a set can or cannot get. This extra brightness might be enough to appeal to some folks (like yourself), but it is no alternative to deep blacks for others (like myself), and the VT/ZT60s are superior in that department.
post #14 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

True white is a misnomer, as the limitation in whiteness perception is related to how bright a set can or cannot get. This extra brightness might be enough to appeal to some folks (like yourself), but it is no alternative to deep blacks for others (like myself), and the VT/ZT60s are superior in that department.

First off true white is not a misnomer I and everyone who has ever bought or seen a white T-shirt knows what white looks like, you prefer the deep blacks I have no problem with that but do not sir for one second try and tell me true white is not known or reproducible in a TV. True white has existed since has far back has I can remember if you would like I will take a picture of me holding a white shirt next to my TV displaying a White shirt. I am not telling you your black is not black even though it is not, simply turn the TV off to see the difference for yourself, so do not tell me or anyone else that true white is a misnomer.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM

You are not the king of this forum, chief, so don't condescend me by trying to establish limits of what is allowable speech in the forum. I didn't say true white is not capable of being reproduced in TVs (in fact, I would argue that the majority of, if not all, TVs manufactured for the last near decade have this capability), just that your perception of what is a true white can be clouded by limitations of plasma technology courtesy of ABL (automatic brightness limiter) circuitry to protect the panel from overheating. Note this reduces the brightness but not the ability of the panel to display true white. This doesn't mean the panel is not capable of producing true white, just that the brightness is not reaching your level of anticipation derived from presumably being accustomed to LCD panel brightness.

And why bring black into this? I never made the claim that any plasma panel has yet reached absolute black, only that the VT/ZT60 (and the Kuros more so) are as black as plasma gets.
post #16 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
How do you know that whoever created the content you're watching has the same definition of so-called "true white" as you?

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.
post #17 of 26 Old 06-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:

I do have to be honest avoid Panasonic like the plague people here love them, I fell for it too I bought the ST50. The image retention was so bad Panasonic had it replaced the new TV was fine for 3 months and then boom, the image retention returned I mean watching something for 10 minutes would leave IR for the next 3 or 4 hours. I have seen many people here say they don't have that problem when in fact they do have it they just don't care, many people here think if they don't mind no one else should either. Take that 2500 and buy a 60 F8500 and be happy, that's what I did after I got my refund from Panasonic.

Another problem I had with Panasonic was white was never white but, I was suckered in by all the people here and on cnet telling me the picture was perfect when in fact it was not. I also calibrate my own TV now which I highly recommend
With a post like this right out of the gate, you obviously came in looking for a fight. I like how your bad experience with Panasonic automatically invalidates the good experience of others and is a predictor of how the 2013 panels will behave.
post #18 of 26 Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:

You are not the king of this forum, chief, so don't condescend me by trying to establish limits of what is allowable speech in the forum. I didn't say true white is not capable of being reproduced in TVs (in fact, I would argue that the majority of, if not all, TVs manufactured for the last near decade have this capability), just that your perception of what is a true white can be clouded by limitations of plasma technology courtesy of ABL (automatic brightness limiter) circuitry to protect the panel from overheating. Note this reduces the brightness but not the ability of the panel to display true white. This doesn't mean the panel is not capable of producing true white, just that the brightness is not reaching your level of anticipation derived from presumably being accustomed to LCD panel brightness.

And why bring black into this? I never made the claim that any plasma panel has yet reached absolute black, only that the VT/ZT60 (and the Kuros more so) are as black as plasma gets.

Oh I am so sorry I did not know only you had the license to condescend, you must be king of this forum either that, or you need to pull your head out of your ass. You have 100 times the amount of posts I do but yet only 10 times the amount of thumbs up someone likes to see his words on the shiny screen don't they.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

How do you know that whoever created the content you're watching has the same definition of so-called "true white" as you?

See that report below it means I calibrated my TV to display content the way it was meant to be displayed, so that is how I know thanks for the question.
post #20 of 26 Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:

With a post like this right out of the gate, you obviously came in looking for a fight. I like how your bad experience with Panasonic automatically invalidates the good experience of others and is a predictor of how the 2013 panels will behave.

No no, not my experience the 500 posts from people having the same issues is what invalidates the good experience you and you cult have with the Pagan God you worship called Panasonic stare at its glorious blacks has the horrible IR that everyone can see disappears has the magical darkness surrounds you.

I SIR CHOOSE THE LIGHT!
post #21 of 26 Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 AM

Troll alert, and now you want to measure thumbs up ratios? You, "sir," are about as petty as they come. This is where one comes to discuss AV (and occasionally S) and share experiences with the devices (and software) that comprise this expensive hobby.

Also, I don't worship pagan gods (but I have great respect for Pioneer and how far ahead they were of the competition 5 years ago). I never owned a Panasonic until this year, and after watching a snowboarding documentary just yesterday, not ONCE did I wish the snow was whiter, nor have I noticed any stubborn IR (if you did some due diligence, you would see that, so far, the 2013 lineup is seemingly less susceptible to IR than last year's models).
post #22 of 26 Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a kuro and a st50 and I have never had a problem with ir.
Allen
post #23 of 26 Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Troll alert, and now you want to measure thumbs up ratios? You, "sir," are about as petty as they come. This is where one comes to discuss AV (and occasionally S) and share experiences with the devices (and software) that comprise this expensive hobby.

Also, I don't worship pagan gods (but I have great respect for Pioneer and how far ahead they were of the competition 5 years ago). I never owned a Panasonic until this year, and after watching a snowboarding documentary just yesterday, not ONCE did I wish the snow was whiter, nor have I noticed any stubborn IR (if you did some due diligence, you would see that, so far, the 2013 lineup is seemingly less susceptible to IR than last year's models).

I know you don't want the snow any whiter you happen to be one of those rare yellow snow fellows, good for you let no one tell you other wise.
post #24 of 26 Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

I know you don't want the snow any whiter you happen to be one of those rare yellow snow fellows, good for you let no one tell you other wise.

Quote:

No no, not my experience the 500 posts from people having the same issues is what invalidates the good experience you and you cult have.

I SIR CHOOSE THE LIGHT!

I don't mean to intrude but ..Wow, are you seriously that bitter towards anyone that likes a more natural detailed picture? And for you to say 500 post from people having the same issue, C'mon just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean they are all like that. That's like saying the girlfriend I just dumped will be same as the next one. I own both plasma and LCD.
I've had my plasma for over a year now and don't have any IR problems whatsoever and kills my LCD in picture quality. We aren't a cult, just stating the facts and experience with our sets.. As for whites being yellow, that makes me laugh. Just curious what TV do you own that you rave so much about?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #25 of 26 Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 PM

He has a Samsung F8500 according to his first incendiary post in this thread. Those who haven't succumbed to his will are stupid and blind.
post #26 of 26 Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Knock it off guys...move on.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page