ISF Calibration? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^^ Wrong. You can get the general settings such as brightness and contrast, and really even saturation levels accurate with just the discs and when I do that, they are almost ALWAYS close to CNET settings, d-nice settings, etc... SO I know good and well it's close enough to draw some conclusions. I am going to get it calibrated once someone actually wants to do it for me, but I will likely use ISF day even in a dark room, based on what I've seen. I am not basing this off of one tv, but many, many tvs using settings by professionals. Again, I am not saying it's the same as MINE being professionally calibrated, so don't bother trolling, but when you use the same people's settings on countless tvs, you know good and well when there is undersaturation in every one of them, that a professional calibration is likely to do so, as well.

I really couldn't care less what you think of my credibility anyway. More people have complained about results of calibrations than have posted positively about them. If many people liked the results, I wouldn't have to be on this site trying unsuccessfully to get someone from another state to agree to doing it, as there would be plenty good ones in all states if the demand were high enough.

^ Wrong also. I know what calibrating does more than you do, which is the funny part. You just think that someone must have their own calibrated to know what the result is. They can't possibly see someone else's or read all the complaints, of course. Just like most majority opinions form this site, people want to be rude when someone disagrees with them. Saying that CNET settings and d-nice settings are NOT "close" to what a calibration would be is just dumb. Assuming your panel isn't hugely different for some reason, it's not magically going to have HUGELY different color accuracy in one home compared to another!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Bottom line until you get a professional calibration you are speculating guessing with no real technical knowledge that's all I have to say good luck finding a calibrator

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #33 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Thanks. Clearly I need good luck finding one, as there are almost none around and when I got no response about it and thus asked for who else I could get to do it, they linked me to people's names who went to dead links and then I believe one of them I finally found and contacted and didn't even get an email returned or it bounced or something. So yeah you're right I theoretically could change my opinion on it if a unicorn calibrator even shows up to calibrate my set. I bet most don't calibrate the 111FD anyway, as it's not as simple to get into the service menu as most sets, so someone who hasn't calibrated that model won't magically know how, like they would be able to figure out on other models they hadn't done.

Again, though, it's very highly unlikely that using CNET or d-nice settings and using a wow disc along with it, is going to be much, if any, more dull than a professional calibration. If you have the brightness and contrast right, you're going to see accurate dullness or lack thereof.
post #34 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried the calibration sub forum ? There is a sticky there with calibrators and the areas they cover

I still don't understand how you can give an opinion on something you've never seen I have a professionally calibrated set and it is far from dull that us a fact

post #35 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 PM

yeah that's where I ended up at a dead end because I think the only one with experience with my model was one who travels around and I'm pretty sure I emailed him and it bounced or he didn't answer. I don't want to pay to get just anyone to do it. I only want it done if I know the person is supposed to be good. Anyone can say they calibrated a tv, but doesn't mean it was correct. Example: apparently Best Buy. I think the one who calibrated yours is good and d-nice is and really only a couple others I know f and then for everyone else I have no idea if each particular one is good or not.
post #36 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Start a thread there give your location someone will step up or point you in the right direction

post #37 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

^^^ Wrong. You can get the general settings such as brightness and contrast, and really even saturation levels accurate with just the discs and when I do that, they are almost ALWAYS close to CNET settings, d-nice settings, etc... SO I know good and well it's close enough to draw some conclusions.
There's more to calibration than Brightness, Contrast and the main Color control (which mostly controls color luminance). There's also grayscale, gamma and color gamut (color luminance, saturation and hue), which there is no way you can calibrate with a disc alone.
Quote:
I am going to get it calibrated once someone actually wants to do it for me, but I will likely use ISF day even in a dark room, based on what I've seen. I am not basing this off of one tv, but many, many tvs using settings by professionals. Again, I am not saying it's the same as MINE being professionally calibrated, so don't bother trolling, but when you use the same people's settings on countless tvs, you know good and well when there is undersaturation in every one of them, that a professional calibration is likely to do so, as well.
Until you've actually seen a professionally calibrated set, your opinion is essentially meaningless.
Quote:
I really couldn't care less what you think of my credibility anyway. More people have complained about results of calibrations than have posted positively about them. If many people liked the results, I wouldn't have to be on this site trying unsuccessfully to get someone from another state to agree to doing it, as there would be plenty good ones in all states if the demand were high enough.
You're right about one thing, and one thing only. Not everyone likes what a calibrated picture looks like. What you and I like are probably not the same. However, this discussion is whether a professional calibration is worth it or not. Since you've never seen a calibrated display, how can you sit here and say that it's not worth it?
Quote:
^ Wrong also. I know what calibrating does more than you do, which is the funny part. You just think that someone must have their own calibrated to know what the result is. They can't possibly see someone else's or read all the complaints, of course. Just like most majority opinions form this site, people want to be rude when someone disagrees with them.
Who are you replying to? I have been a DIY calibrator for a few years now. How is it possible that someone who has never seen a calibrated set can say they know more about calibration?

I'm not trying to be rude, simply stating facts. Someone who hasn't seen a calibrated set cannot give his opinion on whether a calibration is worth it or not, period.
Quote:
Saying that CNET settings and d-nice settings are NOT "close" to what a calibration would be is just dumb. Assuming your panel isn't hugely different for some reason, it's not magically going to have HUGELY different color accuracy in one home compared to another!
You keep bringing up D-Nice and Cnet's settings in the same sentence, then you go on to say that there shouldn't be any differences between panels. Answer me this... how is it possible that D-Nice's settings and Cnet's settings are significantly different? They are not evenly remotely close. I'll answer it for you... it's because every panel is NOT the same. Not to mention the quality of the calibration and the accuracy of the meter used can create different settings.
post #38 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Wow. All I can say is, wow. Chunon, it's a losing battle. You tried, but some just won't get it.
post #39 of 41 Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This guy is obviously just stirring the pot. Just move on.

post #40 of 41 Old 06-10-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Wow. All I can say is, wow. Chunon, it's a losing battle. You tried, but some just won't get it.

Yes I gave up lol

post #41 of 41 Old 06-10-2013, 11:12 PM

Yawn. Yeah, you're right. Nobody has ever called a professional calibration dull, of course. You only see it stated 100 times per day on these sites. I said from what I have seen so far, I agree that they are not right. I used a bad choice of wording when I said "what the director intended". I basically meant the result which SHOULD be seen, based on how it would look in a theater. It is not supposed to magically look different than it did in the theater, no matter what standards people go on and on about. Also I said countless times that brightness and contrast give a good IDEA how it will look as far as whether it will be dull and/or washed out. If those meant nothing, nobody would say the discs are useful. In fact even some calibrators have said it's useful for them when they need to quickly tinker with settings without a full calibration. Clearly it's not enough for elitists when I say I COULD have a different opinion if I do get one calibrated. If I were 100% convinced, why am I planning on getting a calibration to begin with?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page