ISF Calibration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi: Is it worth getting a ISF Calibration done on a "floor model" with about 3700 hrs. on it thanks!! TV is a Panasonic 55ST50. Again thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereoguy99 View Post

Hi: Is it worth getting a ISF Calibration done on a "floor model" with about 3700 hrs. on it thanks!! TV is a Panasonic 55ST50. Again thanks for any help

No different a value proposition than if it were new imo if I remember right you ahve an extended warranty so if you feel it worthwhile go for it. Can definitely improve the picture quality quite a bit imo
Stereoguy99 likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi: Yes I do have extended warranty on my 55ST50 5 years from Sear's Canada!!! So I think it is worth doing thanks Chunon!!! I just noticed you have the 55VT50 after ISF gets done with my ST50 how close will it be in PQ to yours?? Also I've read the ST60 is on par with your VT is this fact? Thanks!!!
post #4 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi: Yes I do have extended warranty on my 55ST50 5 years from Sear's Canada!!! So I think it is worth doing thanks Chunon!!!

Now the next question is who are you having do it and what is your budget for the cal ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #5 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Getting it done through Best Buy" Geek Squad" for $199+tax so $226 up here in London! Went on ISF and my store was listed!!!
post #6 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Getting it done through Best Buy" Geek Squad" for $199+tax so $226 up here in London! Went on ISF and my store was listed!!!

I wish you good luck with that the reviews are very mixed on gs cals, hopefully you get someone that knows what they are doing.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #7 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

maybe I shouldn't have them do it??? What about the ST vs the VT question I asked you about? Thanks
post #8 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

What was that ? Don't recall ?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #9 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

I just noticed you have the 55VT50 after ISF gets done with my ST50 how close will it be in PQ to yours?? Also I've read the ST60 is on par with your VT is this fact? Thanks!!!
post #10 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Depending on the quality of
the cal it will be pretty close although the extra cal controls on the vt are an advantage and yes the st60 is very close to the vt50 picture wise
Stereoguy99 likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #11 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

I would second what Chunon said about BB. Getting somebody who is really good and truly knows what they're doing is more the exception than the rule from BB. A thorough calibration should take about 3 hours depending on the set and I believe BB only allows about 90 minutes for a cal, and that includes unpacking and packing the cal equipment. You'd be best to find a certified calibrator in your area who has experience with your set and spend the $300-$400 for the cal, or learn how to do it yourself.
Stereoguy99 likes this.
post #12 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for complicating my life more!!! LOL smile.gif I think I'm best to keep the ST50 and save the almost $500 over getting a new ST60
post #13 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed plus the extended warranty you have in effect

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #14 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for complicating my life more!!! LOL smile.gif I think I'm best to keep the ST50 and save the almost $500 over getting a new ST60

That's what we're here for, to help biggrin.gif
post #15 of 41 Old 06-07-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 22
Well I think calibrations are overrated in some ways, because it's NOT true that the final result will be as the director intended and as theaters are. When is the last time you've gone to a theater and seen as dull of a picture? They insist a calibrated tv looks dull to some people because theyw ere used to overly bright, saturated, etc.... images, yet I have NEVER seen a movie theater look the way they say something should look. In a theater there is plenty saturation and not a dull image.
post #16 of 41 Old 06-08-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Well I think calibrations are overrated in some ways, because it's NOT true that the final result will be as the director intended and as theaters are. When is the last time you've gone to a theater and seen as dull of a picture? They insist a calibrated tv looks dull to some people because theyw ere used to overly bright, saturated, etc.... images, yet I have NEVER seen a movie theater look the way they say something should look. In a theater there is plenty saturation and not a dull image.

Have you ever owned or seen a professionally calibrated set ? In no way is it dull or lifeless and it the saturation is lush, you are correct some folks prefer that garish oversaturated look

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #17 of 41 Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

maybe I shouldn't have them do it??? What about the ST vs the VT question I asked you about? Thanks

Trust me, having your set calibrated by a pro from here is much better. D-Nice is coming to Canada this summer. He is coming to Montreal to calibrate my tv.
Get in touch with him.
post #18 of 41 Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The purpose of a calibration is not to have your panel display what the director intended, because the director can do pretty much what he wants to. It's his artistic prerogative. The purpose of a calibration is to bring your panel as close to the established rec.709 standards as possible. What the director intended or what you see in a movie theater has nothing to do with calibrating a panel for your home.
post #19 of 41 Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

The purpose of a calibration is not to have your panel display what the director intended, because the director can do pretty much what he wants to. It's his artistic prerogative. The purpose of a calibration is to bring your panel as close to the established rec.709 standards as possible. What the director intended or what you see in a movie theater has nothing to do with calibrating a panel for your home.

+1
post #20 of 41 Old 06-08-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hi; Update I have noticed 1 thing about my ST50 when I stand near the TV the filter makes the screen go quite dark which I think is a flaw. I know that it is there for overhead lights to reduce glare, so I went to a local Best Buy tonight and looked at an 55ST60 and stood right near it granted it was on a stand that moved it just about eye level ,but it was MUCH brighter so I'm taking back the ST50 and bought a 55ST60 even though it is slightly out of my budgetT. Getting "Geek Squad" here in London, Ontario to do an ISF calibration(yes I know mixed reviews, but asked how long they will take to do it, was told 1.5-2.5 hrs. which seems about right).So thanks and if anyone know has any insight/ experience with this line let me know,thanks
post #21 of 41 Old 06-08-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

All that proves is that you haven't seen one that was correctly calibrated.

Stereoguy99,
This is the problem with calibrations. Many are done poorly and passed off as correctly done. Spend the few extra bucks and get D-Nice to do it. Many of us would like to get him and can't because we're not on his touring circuit.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #22 of 41 Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Stereoguy99,
This is the problem with calibrations. Many are done poorly and passed off as correctly done. Spend the few extra bucks and get D-Nice to do it. Many of us would like to get him and can't because we're not on his touring circuit.

I live Canada(London, Ontario) not sure if he is coming by my area or not!
post #23 of 41 Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You can also spring for a colorimeter like the eyeone display pro 3 and the free software from HCFR and do your own calibration. It will not be as precise and accurate as a professional like DNice, but it will get you VERY close (probably better than best buy...) and you'll also have it for the future to avoid anymore charges for calibrating other TVs. I bought one and did my 55ST50 and it did wonders for my picture quiality. Plus, it's really fun imo. There's a great guide here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

post #24 of 41 Old 06-08-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Stereoguy99,

Just get in touch with him. I know he does Toronto, Ottawa,Montreal.
Stereoguy99 likes this.
post #25 of 41 Old 06-08-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi; Update I have noticed 1 thing about my ST50 when I stand near the TV the filter makes the screen go quite dark which I think is a flaw. I know that it is there for overhead lights to reduce glare, so I went to a local Best Buy tonight and looked at an 55ST60 and stood right near it granted it was on a stand that moved it just about eye level ,but it was MUCH brighter so I'm taking back the ST50 and bought a 55ST60 even though it is slightly out of my budgetT. Getting "Geek Squad" here in London, Ontario to do an ISF calibration(yes I know mixed reviews, but asked how long they will take to do it, was told 1.5-2.5 hrs. which seems about right).So thanks and if anyone know has any insight/ experience with this line let me know,thanks

Keep in mind that any tv in a store (especially BB) is going to have their tv's in torch mode or demo mode to attract you to it. Most of the time when you get it home it won't look that bright because you will put it in User Mode, not Demo Mode, so you'll have more control over the settings. Auto dim controls are sometimes more trouble than they're worth if that's what your set will have.

If you go with BB for a cal, make sure you get a print out of how your tv measures BEFORE calibration and AFTER calibration so you can see what the changes were. Ask what kind of meters and software he is using and when was the last time his meters were calibrated. If his equipment is out of calibration or not certified, then your tv's calibration will not be accurate. He should be able to show you proof that his equipment is within specs. Ask how many tv's he's personally calibrated and if your tv is one of them. ISF Certified Calibrator should mean something, and it usually does, but that doesn't mean that the calibrator really knows what he's doing. 1.5 - 2.5 hours to perform a calibration is still marginal, and being as this is BB, my guess is that it will be closer to 90 minutes. Write down whatever settings you have already made so you know where you started from. A lot of folks who've never had a calibrated set don't initially like their calibration because they are not used to viewing a tv that has been set to rec.709 standards because that's not what a lot of us grew up with, so give your eyes and brain time to adjust. Another thing is source, and that gets back to the way movies are made and how television is broadcast. Most programs, be it a blu-ray/DVD or pay television, will look great, but not all. So if you're watching something on your newly calibrated set and it doesn't look good, it's not necessarily the calibration, it's more than likely the source.

And yes, if you can get D-Nice to do your calibration, I'd go for it. He has a very good reputation around here.
Stereoguy99 likes this.
post #26 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 PM

Again, in theaters movies do not look dull or undersaturated. I have not had a tv professionally calibrated, but you do see most who have it done complain and CNET settings are going to be CLOSE to what a calibration would be. Those who will say each panel is different blah blah blah, yeah I tried several of a same model before and they looked mighty close to the same with the same settings. Also D-nice never answers me so I apparently can't have him calibrate it. I've asked several times in threads if he ever comes here. I assumed since he didn't answer, he doesn't, but then others said he goes a lot farther than here. And if he doesn't calibrate, then there isn't much hope because it's hard enough finding a calibrator who would know what he's doing, and yet harder still to find one who has experience with my model.
post #27 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

You are obviously misinformed and don't understand what calibration is cnet settings are not equivalent to a professional calibration and yes panels vary that is a fact

Based on your posts id say there's a good reason you aren't getting responses from dnice

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #28 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Stereoguy99,

D-Nice tours the bigger cities in Canada... not sure if he does London, ON but give it a try. You can also try Michael Chen (member Michael TLV). He resides in Calgary but tours the GTA.

Personally I recommend that you avoid paying that much for a GS calibration. They won't do much better than a $30 (or free) calibration disc. If it was a free then why not, but $300 isn't much less than what an experienced pro would charge.
Quote:

Again, in theaters movies do not look dull or undersaturated. I have not had a tv professionally calibrated, but you do see most who have it done complain and CNET settings are going to be CLOSE to what a calibration would be. Those who will say each panel is different blah blah blah, yeah I tried several of a same model before and they looked mighty close to the same with the same settings. Also D-nice never answers me so I apparently can't have him calibrate it. I've asked several times in threads if he ever comes here. I assumed since he didn't answer, he doesn't, but then others said he goes a lot farther than here. And if he doesn't calibrate, then there isn't much hope because it's hard enough finding a calibrator who would know what he's doing, and yet harder still to find one who has experience with my model.
You lost all credibility with the part in bold. Enough said.
post #29 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 07:59 PM

Please show me where I said CNET settings would be the same as a professional calibration. I said it's close enough to know how dull they are. If settings done on one weren't close enough to be worthwhile, d-nice would not post his own either. You or whoever said some just like the oversaturated look are just exaggerating big time as to what someone wants the picture to be like. If the standard looks worse than in a theater, then the standard is meaningless, anyway. Heck, even CNET mentions how a lot of measurements are meaningless because in real content a lot of errors they had measured can't even be seen. And another funny thing is the same people talking about these standards then zoom letterboxed content, ie ignoring the standard on how it should look aspect ratio-wise. lol
post #30 of 41 Old 06-09-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Again you are misinformed if you would take the time to learn about calibration you might have a different opinion none of what you have said is accurate there is a lot of knowledge to be acquired here but you have to be willing to learn

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page