post #331 of 334 Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomsey View Post
Personally, if I did not have a meter, I would calibrate for just contrast/brightness/sharpness using a free disc and leave everything else at default/stock values (and set white balance to the most accurate stock setting, which, in the case of the f5300, should be warm1).
Excellent advice, which, unfortunately, most people will ignore.

But this is what can be done with a meter:

Samsung PN60F5300B Settings And What They Do

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 334 Old 07-14-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
1.5 gamma!?

Your gamma should not be so far off!

I'm assuming you have contrast and brightness set properly via WOW?
Ryan, I did not play with WOW too much, but I have done some basic tweaks with the AVS709 mp4 videos to tweak black/white levels and contrast. In the flashing bars for black levels, where you should be able to make out levels 17+, I can clearly make out Level 18 onwards. Nothing I tweaked could let me clearly see Level 17 unless I destroyed black levels by boosting brightness too much. I am outputting from my HTPC with Intel HD4000 integrated graphics, so missing level 17 may also be an issue with my setup or this could be a limitation of the TV panel. Can you reliably make out level 17 against the background of level 16?

However, in general, white levels and black levels look good in those tests, gradient bands look uniform with no real banding, and I can distinguish steps in brightness on the grayscale and for each color all the way from the lows to the highs. I have a fair bit of experience with my LCD monitors and doing these tweaks, but I can't get the gamma test pattern in WOW to get remotely close to matching with 2.2. At the moment I'm more towards 1.7.

Have you looked at this pattern in WOW and does it actually match up close to 2.2? I do know that sometimes those patterns may not be very effective on some types of screens, so I'm just wondering if a calibrated F5300 that reports 2.2 gamma using ColorHCFR still shows up with ~ 2.2 gamma when using the WOW test pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl7z View Post
I agree. I bought the Samsung PN60F5300 B series from sears.com last week. I used the Movie Mode settings specified by will7046 in his original post that everyone seems to be raving about, however, on my set, the colors look extremely washed out and everything looks a little too bright (like the blacks don't really look all that black, which plasmas are supposed to do well). I don't know if I've been spoiled because I'm used to my Panasonic ST50 plasma and this TV is even more of a budget plasma, but quite honestly, the default picture settings the TV came with seem better than will7046's calibration settings. His post did put out a warning stating that he wasn't sure if they would work with the B-series. Has anyone who has the B-series plasma experienced the same thing as me? I find it odd that I am not getting the same great results with these settings that most others on the thread are getting. And has anyone tried their own calibration testing for the B-series?
I had the same experience as you. I can confirm that Will's setting wash things out completely on the B-series. Color white doesn't look too bad, but overall, things look very very off. So far, the best setting has been to just reset Movie mode with Warm2 and stick with the defaults and just tweak brightness and contrast a bit with basic patterns. Also make sure to turn Sharpness down to 0. It looks pretty darn good even with those basic tweaks.
post #333 of 334 Old 07-14-2014, 11:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Ryan, I did not play with WOW too much, but I have done some basic tweaks with the AVS709 mp4 videos to tweak black/white levels and contrast. In the flashing bars for black levels, where you should be able to make out levels 17+, I can clearly make out Level 18 onwards. Nothing I tweaked could let me clearly see Level 17 unless I destroyed black levels by boosting brightness too much. I am outputting from my HTPC with Intel HD4000 integrated graphics, so missing level 17 may also be an issue with my setup or this could be a limitation of the TV panel. Can you reliably make out level 17 against the background of level 16?

However, in general, white levels and black levels look good in those tests, gradient bands look uniform with no real banding, and I can distinguish steps in brightness on the grayscale and for each color all the way from the lows to the highs. I have a fair bit of experience with my LCD monitors and doing these tweaks, but I can't get the gamma test pattern in WOW to get remotely close to matching with 2.2. At the moment I'm more towards 1.7.

Have you looked at this pattern in WOW and does it actually match up close to 2.2? I do know that sometimes those patterns may not be very effective on some types of screens, so I'm just wondering if a calibrated F5300 that reports 2.2 gamma using ColorHCFR still shows up with ~ 2.2 gamma when using the WOW test pattern.
You should definitely be able to distinguish level 17 without washing out blacks w/excessive brightness. I have no experience with setting up HTPC, but would guess the issue lies somewhere with that.

My f5300 60 inch arrives tomorrow so I cannot test the reliability of the gamma test pattern in WOW on it at the moment, but I just checked on my 2014 E Series Vizio, that is calibrated with a gamma averaging 2.16. The WOW gamma pattern appears somewhere between 1.9 and 2.0 to my eyes, so (for that LCD) it is reporting slightly low but somewhat accurate.
post #334 of 334 Old 07-14-2014, 02:17 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
You should definitely be able to distinguish level 17 without washing out blacks w/excessive brightness. I have no experience with setting up HTPC, but would guess the issue lies somewhere with that.

My f5300 60 inch arrives tomorrow so I cannot test the reliability of the gamma test pattern in WOW on it at the moment, but I just checked on my 2014 E Series Vizio, that is calibrated with a gamma averaging 2.16. The WOW gamma pattern appears somewhere between 1.9 and 2.0 to my eyes, so (for that LCD) it is reporting slightly low but somewhat accurate.
Thanks. Yeah, I've had better luck with my LCD monitors in the past. I'll be curious to see if the gamma pattern works well for a calibrated PN5300 plasma panel. I found another local Sears with a 60F5300 in stock so I'm going to go exchange tonight and hope for the best!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page