AVS Forum banner

Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings?

307K views 2K replies 216 participants last post by  orangey 
#1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a Samsung PN60F5300, and I find the factory default settings give terrible colors. Does anyone have a calibration setting for it?

Thanks

#835 ·
Super happy with this TV. Just bought the other night, Southern Ca Costcos are all out of them at the $649 price, but I found a floor model manufactured in May 14 I bought for $499. Was setup with factory default settings (cell light at 12) so not too concerned with lifetime hours and it still comes with full costco warranty. Still thinking about whether to buy the 5 yr warranty for $29. When I brought it home I didn't like the picture so much, I used the Will settings and it improved things quite a bit but I still feel it could be better. I think its because I have the B model? I am going to try the Orion settings tonight.

My 2 questions:

1. Do the Orion settings keep all of the white balance and advanced settings at factory default? It looks like they only change basic picture settings.

2. Do you guys really all set cell light to 20? Granted my room is in general kind of dark and ive only used it a couple times at night, but 20 is so bright, I was surprised how bright for a plasma. I have cell set to 10. I guess Ill find out if it needs to be brighter this sunday during football.

#836 ·
Surprised you like Will's settings on your B set. His settings were for the A model and looked pretty bad on my set and washed out the picture considerably.

If you read through my post about settings, I recommend using the baseline settings first and viewing the TV critically for a bit. You can then give the advanced white balance and CMS settings a try if you click on the Spoiler tag in that post to look at my entire calibration. I would first try the CMS settings alone and see how that looks. The 2 and 10 point white balance I have little faith in them applying well across multiple sets and they make your grayscale worse than the out of box settings. So give it a shot but be prepared to go back to defaults.

Cell light of 20 + contrast of ~95 gets you around 35ftL of peak luminance for 100% white which is recommended for dark room viewing, though it is on the brighter side. I'd recommend dialing down the brightness using the contrast and leaving Cell light to 20 if you wish to dim the overall picture a bit. Lowering cell light will lower brightness but also makes ABL more aggressive and kick in earlier than necessary.

#839 ·
thank you all for posting your setting findings!

I noticed in playing with my set that a lot of the settings are shared between the different "Picture Mode"s.

Does anyone use different settings for day time viewing with a brighter room vs night time in a dark room? If so, is there a way to have one mode set for daytime and one mode set for night time viewing?

thanks!

#841 · (Edited)
I recently finished still another calibration, focusing, based on the recent discussions here and in the HCFR thread, on the 75% saturation numbers instead of the (much easier to do) 100% saturations. I ran sweeps for each color and tried for a nice balance between 50% and 75% rather than just the lowest possible dE at 75%.

The end result was very nice color checker results:

Notice that the 100% saturation results are not that great:

These are the individual results for the primaries and secondaries. Note the difference between the dE at 100% and at 75% and 50%:

The net result on a CIE chart (again, notice how far off the 100% saturation values are):

Final grayscale:

Gamma:

Even with this approach, my worst dE was still < 3.
Tedious, but doable.
:D
HCFR file attached.
Michael

Attachments

#846 ·
So what does the above information mean?
Can I use that information to improve my picture quality?
Currently using ORION's basic settings.....very happy with them....but....
Nope, those are just his calibration results as measured by the software (HCFR). I did a similar thing with my TV and meter and the settings I posted are based on that. I think if you are using the basic settings and are happy with them, then there is no reason to mess around any further. Perhaps the only other tweak (in the Spoiler section of my post in the signature) that you could consider trying is using the custom CMS values and seeing if they improve saturation at the 25-75% range. I know one person who did benefit from it and qualitatively, saw the same improvement in the color saturation as I did. But otherwise, best to forget obsessing about the picture and just enjoy your TV :). Not too much more that can be done unless you buy a meter, and even then, you aren't going to get a huge difference in PQ because these sets come out great from the factory with the basic presets I have listed in my sig.

#845 ·
It means that MY set looks wonderful. Actually, even better now that I've redone everything (again!) using 75%/75%.
The only way it will improve YOUR picture quality is if you get involved with HCFR or some other calibration program and perform a calibration on YOUR set.
Of course, if you're happy with what you have, you may not be interested in opening that particular can of worms.
;)
Michael

#848 ·
That's a good question, and I'm really not sure either. Initially, I thought it allowed for a brighter picture, but then once I realized that setting Black Optimizer to Auto resulted in brighter panel output, that advantage was also moot. At the moment, I have my CAL-DAY mode pretty much identical with Standard mode. I have one set to Gamma -1 and one set to Gamma 0 and I flip between them for daytime viewing depending on which Gamma suits the content and ambient light levels at the time.

#853 ·
I just got the 5300 and did the calibration Orion2001 used but just the basics. I used movie mode, warm2 but warm2 gives me a greenish tint compared to warm1. How can I get rid of the green color just go ahead and use warm1? Also I am unable to get to the hdm level part where you use rgb if I am not mistaking. (What is rgb?)Also how do you find Cinema Smooth on the menu to change to 24p?
So far I am happy with the tv but the color seems off like undersaturated.

I posted a couple of the same questions on another thread here but thought this one was more appropriate since its the calibration thread. Thank you!

#863 ·
So far I am happy with the tv but the color seems off like undersaturated.

If you want to see some color pop, set Colorspace to Native. From a calibration standpoint, well overblown, but the goal then is to calibrate a Custom Colorspace that is somewhere between Auto & Native.

#855 ·
So I need to connect the hdmi to port 2 on the tv to enable the cinema smooth option? I have the tv connected now to hdmi/dvi on the tv and I see no cinema smooth option.

#858 ·
I have a few questions please.

How do you find Film mode option on the 5300?
How do you find Cinema Smooth for 24p?
How come I cannot change the hdmi black level on the menu it is grayed out and what is it for?

#859 ·
Film mode has to do with deinterlacing I believe, whether it's film (23hz) or video (60hz). If you're running progressive content you don't need to worry about this or it will probably be grey'd out. Both film mode and Cinema Smooth are listed under picture->picture options. You can only change the Cinema Smooth setting while in 24hz mode.

HDMI black level basically does what it says. Depending on your input device it could be greyed out. For instance, on my HTPC the correct black level for RGB color space is Normal. If yours is grey'd out don't worry, just calibrate brightness normally.

#860 ·
Film mode has to do with deinterlacing I believe, whether it's film (23hz) or video (60hz). If you're running progressive content you don't need to worry about this or it will probably be grey'd out. Both film mode and Cinema Smooth are listed under picture->picture options. You can only change the Cinema Smooth setting while in 24hz mode.

HDMI black level basically does what it says. Depending on your input device it could be greyed out. For instance, on my HTPC the correct black level for RGB color space is Normal. If yours is grey'd out don't worry, just calibrate brightness normally.
Thank ou! Everything makes sense but on the menu I see no Cinema Smooth option on picture opions or anywhere. I even have my Oppo set to 24p.
What am I missing that that option does not pop up on the menu?

#862 ·
Yes on Movie mode all the way.

This post has been deleted
#865 ·
Guys how do I locate Cinema Smooth option for the F5300? I tried the picture menu and all kinds of areas on the menu and it does not appear.
I was told you need 24kz content but how do I get 24hz?
Is that the same as 24p?

#870 ·
Question...

Just bought my tv two days ago and used the calibration settings that orion2001 had in post #765. I realized after the fact though that none of my inputs are using 1080p24 :( I currently just use my roof antenna for standard broadcast at 1080i and a roku/PLEX to stream all my home media content which varies between 720p and 1080p.

1. Would the calibration settings that I'm using be bad at this point then?
  2. Should I invest in having a professional come out and calibrate my tv?

I bought this tv over an LED model because of the superior picture quality so I just want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck.

#873 ·
Could it be 720P that is being aired and the tv displays it as such?

#888 ·
Set it to warm2.

#890 ·
I just set up a PN51F5300B in the living room using Orion's settings. I fired up an episode of Cosmos from the DVR and I was shocked. You really have to see what these sets can do to appreciate them. I am a photographer that works on color managed monitors and I was blown away at the level of detail, contrast, and how spot on all of the colors looked. I am not going to bother with calibration unless further viewing notices something is off.

I can't wait until the 64" H5000 arrives for the basement :D

#891 ·
I wonder why the color tone of Warm2 is the one to go with when it gives a greenish tint.

#892 · (Edited)
I think I am going to finally get in contact with Samsung over the pink tint issue on this set. If the tv has been on for a few hours it gets really bad. Pink around all 4 sides that is impossible not to notice on a white or grey colored slide. I've also noticed the middle of the screen turning a greenish tinge along with a 1 inch strip all along the top that also has a greenish tinge. It has pretty bad vertical banding (DSE) across the whole panel, but I don't think that's avoidable on this panel.

Any chance that I could get them to just refund me or upgrade to a F8500 and pay the difference? Wish me luck.

6500K color temperature.

#894 ·
A lot of people have a pink tinted 60F5300. It was there the first day it was powered on, and gets worse the longer the tv is on. It's not that noticeable on normal content, but anything that is white or light grey shows the defect badly. Some people have been able to reduce this by taking the tv apart and reducing voltages, but I'm not willing to do that right now as I'm still in warranty period for another 7 months. Samsung really screwed up this model in that regard, as it's the only size that's been reported to have this issue. Otherwise I can't really complain as the picture is great for the price. If I had to do it over again I would have got a Panasonic 65S64 that was $1288 at Sams/Costco last year.

Even head writer at AVS got 2 pink ones before moving on to a F8500.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-p.../1567962-why-i-bought-plasma-hdtv-2014-a.html

#901 ·
I have a set being delivered Saturday and will check it out. I didn't see any pink in any of the display sets I looked at in various retailers. I'll have to dig out the slides I used when I first got the Panny years ago. If it's pink right out of the box, back it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.