Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings? - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #661 of 1049 Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 294
measurements -> saturation -> red (for example).
The post above is a comparison between the full sweep and the measurements for just green and just yellow (IIRC, red was pretty close).
I think you have to do at least primaries before it lets you do saturations.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1049 Old 09-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
measurements -> saturation -> red (for example).
The post above is a comparison between the full sweep and the measurements for just green and just yellow (IIRC, red was pretty close).
I think you have to do at least primaries before it lets you do saturations.
I'll try to give it a shot tonight to see what happens.
post #663 of 1049 Old 09-04-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

Of course, anyone else is welcome to chip in, too.

post #664 of 1049 Old 09-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
TV is great with football. No more backlight bleed and uniformity issues. Where have plasma been all these years
Nikwasi likes this.
post #665 of 1049 Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee82 View Post
TV is great with football. No more backlight bleed and uniformity issues. Where have plasma been all these years
Right you are. I feel like I have the best seat at CenturyLink Field tonight. Plasma rocks sports.
post #666 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 02:31 AM

Liked: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, it's a model B, so there are no firmware updates yet.
Try Warm2 and gamma -1.
Running a "break-in" DVD and "going light on her" are a contradiction in terms. Don't do anything special, just try to watch mostly full-screen material (i.e., no gray bars top/bottom or sides) and keep the contrast at 90 or less.
The "WOW" disc is just for calibration. The "bonus" disc is just a collection of (IMHO) extremely boring scenery, so I suggest you don't bother. If you have a BD with THX maximizer, that will do fine.
Have fun with your new set.
Michael
Thanks for the response. I took your advice and just watched a lot of BDs and HBO lol. Figured I'd update now that I've had it for a couple of months. First of all I love the set. I think the picture is sharper than on my old s30. The s30 had a matte finish tho so that could be what I'm noticing. I've also been seriously enjoying the cinema smooth feature. I didn't think it would be something that I would actually notice but WOW! It was a little weird at first. I had actually no idea how used to 3:2 pulldown I was.

"Going light on her" lol I guess that was the wrong choice of words then. My definition of going light was just "nothing with a static graphic." I had no intention of only lightly using this set, especially with The Last of Us Remastered out now!

I've been using the settings here and am very happy with this picture. My only change was backing off the color temp to warm1. On this set (but only this set oddly) the whites look a bit truer (more blue I guess?) on warm1. I find this strange as I normally prefer warm2 almost always. Question: Cool pushes more blue into the image correct? So what does warm do? Is it more red and green (yellow) or just more red? Or am I way off? Just curious. It may also be worth mentioning that the screen uniformity looks pretty damn good. As far as I can tell there is no hint whatsoever of the infamous "magenta tint" so many people mention seeing at the edges of the screen. Perhaps I just dodged a bullet?

One more quick question: Is there an easy way to take a look at my subpixel arrangement? I tried macro mode on my phone but the image is way too blurry for me to discern anything. I just want to verify for myself if it uses a pentile matrix. Everything I read says no, just the 60". Still, I'd love to see it for myself. The pixels are definitely arranged in a grid NOT a brickwork, but w/o SEEING the rgb arrangement I can't assume just based on that can I?

Sorry I know I talk too much! I'm just a VERY chatty chick! Unheard-of, right? lol
post #667 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Yeah, I will try other sources but I'm not holding my breath. If I can remove the issue by bumping brightness down by one, maybe two then I'll stick it out -- otherwise this set is going to the repair center. I've noticed dithering since I got it and have been waiting for it to "settle down" or assumed that it was part of the technology but banding -- no way. It's clear now that the dithering is definitely hampering the black level of the set.
Hmm, so my PS3 doesn't display the issue. Also, after rebooting my HTPC, the dithering is uniform. Backing the HTCP driver's (intel) brightness down removes dithering completely from the black screen and indeed, viewing a clipping pattern I can see that the output was approx. 4 bars brighter than my PS3. It seems that the intel driver output doesn't conform to spec, otherwise I shouldn't have had to adjust brightness.

The black clipping pattern does, however, look like junk as each bar that actually flashes has a ridiculous amount of dithering present. I really don't enjoy the addition of noise to my signal, whether I can see it from 5 feet away or not.

So next question -- while I got rid of dithering at lower levels of black, it's present in the higher, "visible" black levels. Is that normal? In other words, is there no way to get rid of dithering altogether?
post #668 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static-C View Post
One more quick question: Is there an easy way to take a look at my subpixel arrangement? I tried macro mode on my phone but the image is way too blurry for me to discern anything. I just want to verify for myself if it uses a pentile matrix. Everything I read says no, just the 60". Still, I'd love to see it for myself. The pixels are definitely arranged in a grid NOT a brickwork, but w/o SEEING the rgb arrangement I can't assume just based on that can I?
Couple of things you can do to test:

1) Dab a drop of water on the screen (all white area of image) and the water drop will act as a lens. You should be able to look closely and see the subpixel arrangement that way.

2) Look at still images from a couple of feet away. If white/bright areas seem to have a slight cross-hatched screen door effect, you have a pentile display. Otherwise it should be a regular display

3) Pull up a 1920x1080 all black image with a 1 pixel wide white strip along the outermost periphery of the image. You will notice that the pentile display will struggle to display the white border and at least one edge will appear to have a color rather than appear white. On my display, when I run Foobar on my HTPC, it has a 1px wide white border on the window and the border on the right edge appears green in color rather than white.
post #669 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Down to $650 @ Costco!!!

I purchased for $750 over a month ago and was just refunded $103, nice!

post #670 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomsey View Post
Down to $650 @ Costco!!!

Sweet! Looks like your new i1d3/colormunki display just paid for itself

So wish I had a local costco!
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #671 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Thank you orion! I love option 1, that's clever. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that.

For option 3 can I make a 1920x1080 res black slide (png or bmp) with a 1px wide white border in photoshop and use that on a thumb-drive? I'm looking for discoloration along the edge (where the white SHOULD be pure) correct? Is the likely color to be green due to the extra green subpixels?

For option 2 I believe I know the cross-hatch pattern to which you are referring. I've seen this on other people's plasmas before and never understood why it looked like that. The pixel arrangement reminded me of a brick wall. It didn't look bad. The picture was quite good but the visible pattern was kind of distracting, especially when you are not used to it. Luckily I can confirm that the 51" does NOT look like this. Thanks again!

EDIT: While I was typing that RyanHomsey posted the above image. Is that the 60"? Look at the pink rectangle at the bottom left. Look specifically at the bottom left corner. Is that the pentile pattern we are discussing? I've never seen anything like that on the 51". So no pentile?

Last edited by Static-C; 09-05-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: See bottom of post
post #672 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you orion! I love option 1, that's clever. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that.

For option 3 can I make a 1920x1080 res black slide (png or bmp) with a 1px wide white border in photoshop and use that on a thumb-drive? I'm looking for discoloration along the edge (where the white SHOULD be pure) correct? Is the likely color to be green due to the extra green subpixels?
This should work. The reason for the discoloration has to do with the staggered subpixel arrangement in pentile displays:

The pentile display is on the right. If you look along a vertical column, you see that you have a different distribution of red and blue subpixels. This is not the case for the regular display (on the left). This is why 1 pixel thick boxes do not look great on this type of display.

Quote:
For option 2 I believe I know the cross-hatch pattern to which you are referring. I've seen this on other people's plasmas before and never understood why it looked like that. The pixel arrangement reminded me of a brick wall. It didn't look bad. The picture was quite good but the visible pattern was kind of distracting, especially when you are not used to it. Luckily I can confirm that the 51" does NOT look like this. Thanks again!

EDIT: While I was typing that RyanHomsey posted the above image. Is that the 60"? Look at the pink rectangle at the bottom left. Look specifically at the bottom left corner. Is that the pentile pattern we are discussing? I've never seen anything like that on the 51". So no pentile?
Nope, not sure about that cross-hatched pattern...but that is far too large. The crosshatched pattern on pentile displays is on the order of the pixel size.

All this being said, there is absolutely no way your 51" panel has a pentile display. People would have reported this way in advance if that were the case, and considering that Samsung is stopping plasma production, I highly doubt they would make any changes to their 2014 panels.
StinDaWg and PlasmaPZ80U like this.
post #673 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Down to $650 @ Costco!!!

I saw this sale this morning at my local Costco also. Think I might pick one up this weekend, that price is too good to pass up!
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #674 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Thank you orion, again, for taking the time. That answer actually satisfies me lol. I will take your word for it. LOVE this tv! Can't wait to play Destiny on it!! My neighbor and I preordered together for the midnight release. Now hopefully his wife will let him play it with me at midnight (she hates me b/c he's always hanging out with me). 4 DAYS!!

I think I understand what you mean regarding the discoloration due to, essentially, an uneven distribution of subpixels. The red and blue subpixels are also a bit larger aren't they? I'm wondering, would this effect the anti-aliasing in video games?

Last edited by Static-C; 09-05-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Capitalization... yeah I know...lol
post #675 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Post Power 2.2 Gamma Movie Mode Calibration (51" 'A' Model)

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 20
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 0
Color: 46
Tint: G50/R50

Picture size submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Color Space submenu:
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 45, Green 0, Blue 0
Green: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 0
Blue: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 50, Green 51, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 50
Magenta: Red 50, Green 0, Blue 50

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 20
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 22
R-Gain: 22
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 22

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red -6, Green -6, Blue -6
Interval 2: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -1
Interval 3: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -1
Interval 4: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -1
Interval 5: Red -2, Green -2, Blue -2
Interval 6: Red -5, Green -5, Blue -5
Interval 7: Red -2, Green -2, Blue -2
Interval 8: Red -8, Green -8, Blue -8
Interval 9: Red -2, Green -2, Blue -2
Interval 10: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm1
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off [grayed out]
Black optimizer: Dark room
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	30
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	254938   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	254946   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	541.0 KB
ID:	254954  

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 09-09-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: minor CMS tweaks for more accurate fleshtones
post #676 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a simple straight power 2.2 gamma calibration with a black offset. Also, brightness is set with the equivalent of the APL clipping pattern on the AVS Disc.
post #677 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Down to $650 @ Costco!!!

If only costco online matched costco warehouse. I'm not sure if I could transport such a beast from the store to my house!
post #678 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
If only costco online matched costco warehouse. I'm not sure if I could transport such a beast from the store to my house!
I purchased mine on Costco.com yesterday for $700. With the 90 day return policy, wouldn't it be easier for Costco to credit me $50 rather than returning the plasma and buying another one at the lower price? I guess I'll find out when my plasma arrives next week.
post #679 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I picked up the 5350 from CostCo tonight. The set looks good right out of the box, but I'm eager to see what it will look like once I alter its settings. I really don't understand the pentile issue having had the set in my living room tonight. I can't notice it past 4 feet. $649.00 is just too good of a deal to pass up.

I will say that my fiancé, who does not understand my fascination with technology and namely televisions, thought the picture looked horrible at CostCo and at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago. She was pretty upset with my spending money on this model. I assured her that once the television was under normal lighting that it would look so much better than in a brightly lit store. After watching a show on Netflix tonight, she thinks it looks awesome.
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #680 of 1049 Old 09-05-2014, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Down to $650 @ Costco!!!

Appreciate the heads up, thanks Ryan! Saw it for $699 a couple days ago but I was having a hard time deciding b/w this & the 60' FALD Vizio E series but I had to finally pick this set up, $649 is an incredible deal!

Plus I've always had plasmas so getting an led would've been less than ideal lol.
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #681 of 1049 Old 09-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Of course, anyone else is welcome to chip in, too.
So I tried again tonight. Did one full measurement (Grayscale + Primaries + Secondaries + All Saturations). Set that measurement as the reference. Then started a new measurement in a new window. First I measured primaries. Then I measured only Red saturation sweep. The dE/ref ranges between 0 - 0.4, which is consistent.

Not sure what's going on with your measurements. Are the xyY measurements different in the 2 sets of measurements? Or is HCFR not using the correct reference for the calculations?

Quote:
The red and blue subpixels are also a bit larger aren't they? I'm wondering, would this effect the anti-aliasing in video games?
Actually, pentile displays are supposed to be a bit better for anti-aliasing because of the staggered sub-pixel arrangement. This leads to some amount of in-built antialiasing. The RGB subpixel layout of conventional displays are more prone to exhibit aliasing, but at the same time can result in a bit sharper images depending on the type of image.
post #682 of 1049 Old 09-06-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
First I measured primaries. Then I measured only Red saturation sweep. The dE/ref ranges between 0 - 0.4, which is consistent.

Not sure what's going on with your measurements. Are the xyY measurements different in the 2 sets of measurements? Or is HCFR not using the correct reference for the calculations?
My red was okay, too, but some of the others were off severely.
I'll play with it again after the weekend and post on the HFCR thread if the problem persists.
Thanks for checking.

Congrats to all the new owners at $650. Wish I had room for a second!

post #683 of 1049 Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does Costco deliver. Im in for another one if they can get the beast through my front door.
post #684 of 1049 Old 09-06-2014, 11:40 AM

Costco.com charges $30 for shipping. I ordered mine on September 3rd and it's being delivered on Tuesday.
post #685 of 1049 Old 09-06-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
You can try my colorspace settings to see how you like them (I'll post them below in a separate post). They result in a subtle change where you should notice less of a whitish haze at lower color saturations, with more pop to colors and overall image as my custom CMS settings aim to target accurate luminance and saturations for 25-75% colors. I know at least one other user here who has used my CMS settings on his panel and visibly seen the same improvement in PQ that I observed on my set with my custom CMS settings.
post #686 of 1049 Old 09-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer88 View Post
I purchased mine on Costco.com yesterday for $700. With the 90 day return policy, wouldn't it be easier for Costco to credit me $50 rather than returning the plasma and buying another one at the lower price? I guess I'll find out when my plasma arrives next week.
I bought my TV 8/17/14 and asked for a price adjustment. Costco policy is 14 days for price adjustment. Told the person, I could repackage for return and buy at current price or price adjustment. Manager ok price adjustment. Strange how Costco has a 90 return policy, but only 14 day price adjustment. Otherwise, $649 is highway robbery for this TV!
post #687 of 1049 Old 09-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee82 View Post
I bought my TV 8/17/14 and asked for a price adjustment. Costco policy is 14 days for price adjustment. Told the person, I could repackage for return and buy at current price or price adjustment. Manager ok price adjustment. Strange how Costco has a 90 return policy, but only 14 day price adjustment. Otherwise, $649 is highway robbery for this TV!
After a few emails with Customer Service, they finally gave me the $50 price adjustment from buying it for $699 on Costco.com. Their normal policy is to not price match from Costco.com and the store. I told the Agent I was going to call the freight company and cancel my shipment. He came to his senses and issued the credit.
post #688 of 1049 Old 09-06-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Actually, pentile displays are supposed to be a bit better for anti-aliasing because of the staggered sub-pixel arrangement. This leads to some amount of in-built antialiasing. The RGB subpixel layout of conventional displays are more prone to exhibit aliasing, but at the same time can result in a bit sharper images depending on the type of image.
That's interesting and makes sense. Just trying to wrap my head around this. I imagine then that pentile displays would show less aliasing when drawing diagonal lines, possibly due to the "diamond" pattern, chain-link fences for example. Just thinking out loud. Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to learn as much as I can and I know you guys have the answers! lol Thanks again.
post #689 of 1049 Old 09-07-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

PN51F5300AFXZA Black Level, White Level, and Gamma Benchmark

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...VE&usp=sharing

Check bottom left corner for black level, bottom right corner for white level, and top right corner for gamma. File names and tab labels (top left corner on images) describe the pattern disc used and pattern set within that disc used. Everything is in fL (except for black level, which is in both fL and cdm).
post #690 of 1049 Old 09-07-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Readings are using the calibration/settings in the third link in my sig.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f5300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page