Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1061 Old 04-12-2014, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I havent calibrated my 51 inch besides cell and contrast in standard.
Cell 14
Contrast 70
Am I missing out on a better picture quality?
It looks pretty good to me besides I wish colors where a little more vibrant. I came from a 2011 32inch 720p dynex using ps3. Now im using ps4 for all my content.
Can I get alot more out of this tv? I need help. Haha. I have no idea how to calibrate . I dont want to mess anything up. Can someone please message me to help me? I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1061 Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

why don't you just use the settings at the beginning of this thread and see how it looks to you?

post #183 of 1061 Old 04-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma5300 View Post

Cell 14
Contrast 70
It looks pretty good to me besides I wish colors where a little more vibrant. I came from a 2011 32inch 720p dynex using ps3. Now im using ps4 for all my content.
Can I get alot more out of this tv? I need help. Haha. I have no idea how to calibrate . I dont want to mess anything up. Can someone please message me to help me? I would greatly appreciate it.

I have tried several sets of suggested calibration adjustments, all of which worked pretty well, and none of them called for a contrast setting lower than 90 or a cell light number lower than 95.

post #184 of 1061 Old 04-17-2014, 09:48 PM

Liked: 10
Snagged a refurb 60" and used Wills settings. Looked better though I noticed on Fox Midwest a promo spot for the St. Louis Cardinals the white uniforms seemed a bit too white. Not so during the regular game. I switched over to the Golf Channel LPGA in Hawaii. There's a light gray splotching on anything white. It appears to be a bad representation of a shadow. It's also on logos & numbers on some commercials. I was thinking maybe a bad feed, but I hadn't noticed it before on my 50" Panasonic TC-P50X1 that's also a plasma. There's no comparison in resolution/PQ. Anywho, I go back to the Golf Channel & now it's RBC Heritage first round and the sand is way too white. Bleached out and I'm seeing the same grey shadow splotches on white hats. The AFLAC duck and other commercials isn't as noticeable. It seems mostly to be an issue w/live feed in bright light. Even the golf balls have the poor grey rendering.

Any ideas on how I might curb this image anomaly?

ETA: The colour isn't bad and the resolution is somewhat lacking. It almost is reminiscent of the old rear projection big screens. More area not as clear.

PN60F5300 current ver. 1005. Is this the latest upgrade or original from the factory?
post #185 of 1061 Old 04-20-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have a weird issue that just popped up the other day.

My PS3 has stuttering audio - it's worked fine since November when I got the TV.

Occasionally it works fine when I switch inputs, then it shortly goes back to stuttering like crazy.

I thought it might be the PS3 so I grabbed my living room model (which works fine) and it does the same thing..

I did the audio test and most of the time it's fine, but a few times it's also stuttered/stopped audio, and usually when I come back from the audio test the PS3 works OK.

My DirecTV receiver doesn't appear to have any issues...

I've tried swapping HDMI cables, HDMI ports on the TV, and still does the same thing.. guessing I'm going to have to go for service but I'm afraid of the tech/samsung blaming my PS3 rather than the TV..
post #186 of 1061 Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thinking about getting the 51" version of this tv but, I'm wondering if anybody watches hockey on this set and how does it deal with an all white background. I read a review and it says the tv sucks for watching hockey as "The TV's light output simply fluctuates too much, and is too dim overall for anything requiring full-field white levels."
post #187 of 1061 Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 AM

Liked: 11

I have the 60" and I have been watching hockey and I have not noticed this effect.  I'm not quite sure what people are talking about...

post #188 of 1061 Old 04-23-2014, 07:01 AM

tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb44 View Post

Thinking about getting the 51" version of this tv but, I'm wondering if anybody watches hockey on this set and how does it deal with an all white background. I read a review and it says the tv sucks for watching hockey as "The TV's light output simply fluctuates too much, and is too dim overall for anything requiring full-field white levels."

I have the 60" in a refurb and the light/brightness does jump around a mite on hockey. I've tried all three, std/movie/dynamic, settings and have settled on STD. Perhaps at the other settings or more brightness/colour would cause an increase in frequency. I have contrast/sharpness at 100 and Darkest setting combined w/low brightness/colour.

Low resolution 480 is grainy and from there to 720 colours tends to be uber-saturated and the whites too intense. I also notice moire in pinstripes, wrought iron railing, auto grilles, herringbone patterns along w/some reflected light off of material being shiny. At 1080 w/clean strong signal it shows a lot of detail. My issue stems primarily from a poor signal supplied by Fidelity Cable. I just hopped on HD services though they explain that not all channels are HD. I understand local/regional commercials, old shows & many taped w/less expensive equipment are not going to shine. Even quality shot sporting events that rely heavily on a lot of zoom show obvious degeneration. W/Fidelity's signal, in alleged HD, I'm often seeing splotchy shades, poor resolution and cartoonish faces that remind me of the old Windows Paint photo editing program.

The major network feeds as a rule are excellent. The problem I'm having is attempting to set the picture for all the varying resolutions & signal strengths which isn't the telly's fault. It is a value priced/entry plasma 60" refurb that was delivered to my door for six fins over seven bills. I don't expect miracles. It has a lot of adjustments, so everyone should be able to find their niche in viewing. It is highly mirroresque/reflective, but the set will swivel on quite a bit of arc from the stand. Because of the good off-axis viewing I'm able to eliminate light sources from my viewing positions.

Back to the PQ. I'm looking at faces, leaves, landscape, crowds and if the signal & resolution is high it seems to be a good value. Yet, even on the network feed comparing the 5 yr old Panny TC-P50X1 at 720 to this Sammy PN60F5300AFXZA at 1080 it's no contesto. Where the olde panny shows studio lights accurately reflecting off the ladies hairdos the sammy shows a garish unnaturally highlighted flash. On/off flash/flash As well the panny at 720 shows more detail than the sammy at 1080 in their faces/make-up/lines/wrinkles. That could be attributed, at least partially, to my crappe signal and suspect HD..

Possibly my 1080 signal is actually closer to 720. It took, as near as I can tell, 720 to support a full screen 16:9 w/o zooming the picture, so that was easy enough to decipher from 480. Some budget commercials/infomercials drop down from 16:9 to 4:3. Low resolution, even though info button states 1920X1080/60i, little facial detail and the white is too bright.

My SD is listed in double digit channels w/HD being the same numbers though in 400 series. STD CH 53 is HD 453.

Right now my basic settings: Standard Picture
cell-20
contrast-100
brightness-34 [bumped to 56]
sharpness-92
colour-19 [bumped to 29]
tint-g53/r47
dynamic contrast-off
blk tone-darkest
flesh tone +1
rbg-off
colour space-custom
white balance-off.
Gamma -2
---
Here's an example of a geometric pattern that my sammy has an issue interpreting.

Food network Rachael Ray 30 minute kitchen, today 1:30pm central Spanish Surf and Turf season 25 episode 8, has small 1" green tile w/white grout counter top/sink/stove/ fridge backdrop up to cabinets and it's lit by among other things the hanging stove exhaust fan/light. I'll guess 480 resolution as it dances/shifts. Although naturally the tile is static the processor apparently cannot decide/make it it's mind on the display and this switching gives the illusion of movement. You can see the same tile from this episode three years prior except the exhaust fan light is off.

http://www.hulu.com/30-minute-meals
http://www.hulu.com/watch/602101#i0,p0,d0

This is the same on/off switching movement as the newscast ladies w/shimmering hairdo under direct light.

I saw the same hockey/studio lit hairstyle/lit small tile flickering on a show that had a single large square light in a ceiling grid about in the middle of the screen. Unfortunately the scene didn't last long, but the light was popping furiously. I'm going back and forth twixt SD & HD channels comparing them even though the shows are several seconds out of sync. Plus, when switching 16:9 aspect in HD to SD it automatically zooms the SD pic to fill the screen & everything, beside showing less resolution, is stretched fat.

My money is on this being the reason for return/refurb status. Good Morning America just showed Chicago high rise buildings due west of Lake Michigan and all were highlighted by the sun. Each showed a light shimmering. I went back to a standard setting & think the intensity might be partially influenced by whichever std/movie/dynamic setting chosen.
post #189 of 1061 Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 301

Quote:

Does sharpness setting actually do anything? I had mine at 50. I moved it to 20 then to 0 then to 100 then to 40. Icant see any difference? What should i be looking for? Haha

Display an image like this:

If you increase sharpness too much, the letters start to break up. Too little, and they're blurry.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #190 of 1061 Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
An observation; upon getting this set and applying Will's settings, I had the dot-wave effect. Dropping the brightness to about 44 got rid of the problem. After a few months, however, I now have to drop the brightness into the mid 30s to get the effect to go away.

Any idea why this might be/or if there is something other than the brightness that I can adjust?
post #191 of 1061 Old 05-09-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
i do and its great i play halo series and kill zone awesome .
Quote:

Anyone use gamemode for gaming?

i suggest these settings much thanks to stereomandan

Here are my calibration results. Nothing short of superb in my opinion. The light output with these settings, based on my i1Pro, is 36 ftL for what it’s worth.

Here are my settings, based on calibrations with my i1Pro:
Picture Mode = Standard
Color Tone: Standard
All filters or digital "aids" are turned off
Cell Light = 20
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 49
Sharpness = 0
Color = 50
Tint = 50
Advanced Settings all off or zero
Gamma = -2
White Balance:
Red Offset = 23
Green Offset = 25
Blue Offset = 8
Red Gain = 23
Green Gain = 29
Blue Gain = 13

Color Space = Custom
Red:
R=35
G=14
B=11
Green:
R=32
G=38
B=18
Blue:
R=15
G=11
B=39
Yellow:
R=43
G=43
B=16
Cyan:
R=30
G=46
B=46
Magenta:
R=40
G=13
B=42
Quote:

I I have no idea how to calibrate . I dont want to mess anything up. Can someone please message me to help me? I would greatly appreciate it.

get another ps3 and test it on your 5300 a friend , family
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtangletn View Post

Have a weird issue that just popped up the other day.

My PS3 has stuttering audio - it's worked fine since November when I got the TV.

Occasionally it works fine when I switch inputs, then it shortly goes back to stuttering like crazy.

I thought it might be the PS3 so I grabbed my living room model (which works fine) and it does the same thing..

I did the audio test and most of the time it's fine, but a few times it's also stuttered/stopped audio, and usually when I come back from the audio test the PS3 works OK.

My DirecTV receiver doesn't appear to have any issues...

I've tried swapping HDMI cables, HDMI ports on the TV, and still does the same thing.. guessing I'm going to have to go for service but I'm afraid of the tech/samsung blaming my PS3 rather than the TV..

and powerpc i dont know what you mean , and i have my brightness set at 35 looks awesome with - 2 gamma on top of that.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u(r.i.p)Samsung 51f4500
XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #192 of 1061 Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I actually figured it out - oddly my HDMI switch was causing the other HDMI port to be wonky.. dunno why or how, but it did.

It was actually the last thing I tried before submitting a repair request - I thought of it very early on but assumed it would cause issues on the HDMI switches' input, not the other one..
post #193 of 1061 Old 05-10-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I was going through Kal's excellent updated Grayscale (hey, it used to be "greyscale" :eek:) for Dummies guide:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

and came across this suggestion:

"If you are calibrating a plasma display, it is a good practice to place the colorimeter on a tripod set back from the screen about a foot. This will minimize the effect on the sensor of the heat that comes off the plasma screen."

Coming from an RPCRT, I, of course, had the meter on the screen.

I hope I didn't melt anything.

It will be interesting to see if the results are much different from a foot away.

post #194 of 1061 Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 PM

Just got this TV. Has anyone noticed with wills settings the picture lacks punch and looks dull? Also blacks aren't very deep at all, mine are light Grey it seems. If you switch picture mode from movie to dynamic it goes in the opposite direction. Too much punch and is blown out. Just wondering what others thought.
post #195 of 1061 Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloadmire View Post

Just got this TV. Has anyone noticed with wills settings the picture lacks punch and looks dull? Also blacks aren't very deep at all, mine are light Grey it seems. If you switch picture mode from movie to dynamic it goes in the opposite direction. Too much punch and is blown out. Just wondering what others thought.
Did you get your set in the amazing sears deal? I'm thinking myself of using those saving to buy some calibration gear. No two sets are going to be the same, so will's settings while perhaps decent are not going to be optimal for your particular set.
chunon likes this.
post #196 of 1061 Old 06-05-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

I was going through Kal's excellent updated Grayscale (hey, it used to be "greyscale" eek.gif ) for Dummies guide:
and came across this suggestion:
"If you are calibrating a plasma display, it is a good practice to place the colorimeter on a tripod set back from the screen about a foot. This will minimize the effect on the sensor of the heat that comes off the plasma screen."
Coming from an RPCRT, I, of course, had the meter on the screen.
I hope I didn't melt anything.
It will be interesting to see if the results are much different from a foot away.

It really depends on the meter, the i1d3 for example has temperature compensation built in so its really not a factor. That is the meter I would recommend also btw smile.gif

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #197 of 1061 Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

It really depends on the meter, the i1d3 for example has temperature compensation built in so its really not a factor. That is the meter I would recommend also btw smile.gif

Thanks, I was going to ask for meter recommendations! Are you talking about this one http://smile.amazon.com/X-Rite-EODIS3-i1Display-Pro/dp/B0055MBQOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401978335&sr=1-1&keywords=i1+display+pro+3

Or is it specifically the meter with the software provided by chromapure? I have a hard time paying $300 for updated calibration tables, and that seems like all they offer at first blush...

How about this open source one? http://www.hughski.com/buy.html

Or maybe this free calibration software? http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/
post #198 of 1061 Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Start reading here:

Obviously a little biased towards chromapure; here's the free one:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1393853/hcfr-open-source-projector-and-display-calibration-software

post #199 of 1061 Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

Thanks, I was going to ask for meter recommendations! Are you talking about this one http://smile.amazon.com/X-Rite-EODIS3-i1Display-Pro/dp/B0055MBQOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401978335&sr=1-1&keywords=i1+display+pro+3

Or is it specifically the meter with the software provided by chromapure? I have a hard time paying $300 for updated calibration tables, and that seems like all they offer at first blush...

How about this open source one? http://www.hughski.com/buy.html

Or maybe this free calibration software? http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/

No the Amazon meter will work fine, the big 3 options for software are HCFR(Free), Calman and Chromapure. I personally like Calman but all three will ge the job done.

Darbee DVP5000
post #200 of 1061 Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloadmire View Post

I believe Wil's setting are for the 51 inch, 1080p. Since this is the 60" pentile, I would think it would be a bit different as well. I did use Wil's 2pt White Balance just for kicks though. Plus, I'm not a fan of Movie mode, no matter how anyone slices it.

I used Monster's Inc. blu-ray as a reference, since I remember the colors in that movie and in person seeing the character at D-Land and such. In Movie Mode, everything was dull and washed and did not accurately represent the colors of the scenes. Once I dialed in the Standard Mode, the colors popped. Movie mode showed bad blue and purple, while Standard made it pop with punchy blue & purple (fur of Sully). But again, I did not use a meter at all. Did everything by sight. The set is pretty decent, so colors that can be honed in by calibration software are not off the mark as much from what I can see by sight, hence why the human eye can't even see most imperfections in color balance, so I believe the set came about 80%-85% balanced , and the set simply isn't worth it to squeeze the extra 15%-20% out of it because as it stands now, the picture pops for me. Watched World War Z last nite as well on blu-ray and it looked fine. Skin tones were perfect. Of course, blacks aren't as deep as an upper-tier plasma, but it's damn good for me.

Mode: Standard

Cell Light: 20

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 43

Sharpness: 25

Color: 50

Tint: G50/R50

Picture size submenu:

Picture Size: Screen Fit

PIP: Off

Advanced settings submenu:

Dynamic contrast: Low

Black tone: Off

Flesh tone: 0

RGB Only Mode: Off

Color space: Native

White Balance: [see below]

10p White Balance: Off

Gamma: -2

Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

White balance submenu:

R-Offset: 29

G-Offset: 25

B-Offset: 27

R-Gain: 24

G-Gain: 25

B-Gain: 22

post #201 of 1061 Old 06-05-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You might want to use Casino Royale, instead:

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/checking-the-picture-quality-of-your-display/

Or you might want to do it right and get a meter and software. ;)

StinDaWg and chunon like this.

post #202 of 1061 Old 06-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Is there any benefit to getting a Spectrophotometer as oppose to colorimeter? I can get the i1 Basic Pro for $100 but don't have any immediate need for calibrating my printer. Just wondering if it would be more accurate or something.
post #203 of 1061 Old 06-06-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The ideal combo is both a spectro and a colorimenter, profile the colorimeter off the spectro. You get the accuracy of the spectro with the speed and low level prowess of the colorimeter. Spectro's are not cheap tho by any means. I woould stick with the colorimeter for now learn calibration and then re-evaluate and see if you are satisfied with the results. Just my 2 cents smile.gif

Darbee DVP5000
post #204 of 1061 Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmm, so if I can get a spectro cheap, is there a need for the colorimeter? By low level I assume you mean lower brightness levels? I believe I can calibrate brightness and contrast with reference images... then calibrate the color with the spectro?
post #205 of 1061 Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The spectro will yield more accurate readings for greyscale and color. Yes you could just use the spectro but they don't tend to read the lower levels of black very well the readings are slower and it has to re-initialized periodically. If you are going to go that route I would suggest a used i1pro revd or a Colormunki Photo(the design is clunky tho imo). Most calibrators I know use a spectro/colorimeter combo. You might check with "PLASMAPZ80U" he has a F5300 and is very a skilled calibrator.
crakarjax likes this.

Darbee DVP5000
post #206 of 1061 Old 06-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

The spectro will yield more accurate readings for greyscale and color. Yes you could just use the spectro but they don't tend to read the lower levels of black very well the readings are slower and it has to re-initialized periodically. If you are going to go that route I would suggest a used i1pro revd or a Colormunki Photo(the design is clunky tho imo). Most calibrators I know use a spectro/colorimeter combo. You might check with "PLASMAPZ80U" he has a F5300 and is very a skilled calibrator.
Thanks, I picked up a used i1dp3 for $140 -- going to have to hope it's not out of whack when I get it because I can't justify the expense of a new one yet. I'll be trolling ebay for a used spectro though!
post #207 of 1061 Old 06-06-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

the i1d3 tends to stay pretty stable since the optics are sealed. Yes that's the place to get one, what software did you decide to go with ?

Darbee DVP5000
post #208 of 1061 Old 06-06-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuppers5 View Post

I believe Wil's setting are for the 51 inch, 1080p. Since this is the 60" pentile, I would think it would be a bit different as well. I did use Wil's 2pt White Balance just for kicks though. Plus, I'm not a fan of Movie mode, no matter how anyone slices it.

I have seperate settings for the 51 and the 60, as I have calibrated both and they were very different. They are listed at the beggining of this thread.
post #209 of 1061 Old 06-06-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

And I would think they would be different for the A series and the B series (in addition to the usual set-to-set variation).

post #210 of 1061 Old 06-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

And I would think they would be different for the A series and the B series (in addition to the usual set-to-set variation).

I have yet to see a B series to verify that, but that very well may be the case. To be safe, I only recommend trying these on an A.

I make no garantee that any of my settings will look good for any other TV other than mine. I've never seen two models of the same TV that used the same settings after calibration.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f5300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page