Panasonic 65ST60 or 60VT60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have the opportunity to get a 65" ST60 or a 60" VT60 for right around the same price (<$100 differential) with price matching. I've gone back and forth about whether or not I prefer a bigger screen of the ST60 or the enhanced picture quality of the VT60. I know input lag is more of an issue with the ST60, and the VT60 has some of the additional features.

Is there anyone familiar enough with both that could say how big of a step down it is in picture quality from the VT to the ST and if that step down is worth the extra 5"? In BB, the ST60 is out on the floor while the VT is in Magnolia, so it's a bit difficult to compare them side by side.

All opinions appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I haven't had both sets in my home (I own the ST60) but I've spent a fair bit of time with both in store and through reading reviews. I think David Katzmaier put it best,
Quote:
There are a couple of problems, however. The first is price: the VT60 is exactly twice the cost of the ST60, and its picture is by no stretch of the imagination twice as good. In other words, this is a TV not just for videophiles, but, like the Kuro and the F8500, it's a TV for relatively wealthy videophiles.
The real question is, is that worth an extra 500 dollars and 5 more inches to you? If I had the money and both prices were in my budget, I would get the VT60.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A couple of questions. Are you going to have the set calibrated?
I believe the VT has more calibration adjustments.
How important is the size difference? Generally get the largest screen you can if is correct for your viewing distance.
I don't know if you are familiar with the shootout at Value Electronics but one of the calibrators stated that he did not see a difference in
picture between the ST, VT, and ZT.

I don't own either set but am strongly considering the VT.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtold View Post

A couple of questions. Are you going to have the set calibrated?
I believe the VT has more calibration adjustments.
How important is the size difference? Generally get the largest screen you can if is correct for your viewing distance.
I don't know if you are familiar with the shootout at Value Electronics but one of the calibrators stated that he did not see a difference in
picture between the ST, VT, and ZT.

I don't own either set but am strongly considering the VT.

So you're just going to throw away money? You just cited that a professional calibrator stated that he did not see a difference between the sets, so you must think that you will, above and beyond what eyes of a trained professional sees?
post #5 of 9 Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM

This is the same problem i am having!

65 ST60 for 2000 or 60 VT60 for 2800.

I would have already bought the ST60 but two things worry me about it.

#1 all the talk of input lag for shooter games which i play a little bit.
#2 I have heard people say the ST is a lot darker picture and the VT will look much better in bright rooms because of the extra filter.
My room has three big windos and i want to be able to watch tv during the day without always having to close all the blinds in the room.

Can anyone verify how well the VT and ST perform in lighter conditions?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Liked: 21
Jumpman,

If you are concerned about brightness, why not consider the Samsung F8500 over both of those displays?
post #7 of 9 Old 06-13-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmanballerz View Post

This is the same problem i am having!

65 ST60 for 2000 or 60 VT60 for 2800.

I would have already bought the ST60 but two things worry me about it.

#1 all the talk of input lag for shooter games which i play a little bit.
#2 I have heard people say the ST is a lot darker picture and the VT will look much better in bright rooms because of the extra filter.
My room has three big windos and i want to be able to watch tv during the day without always having to close all the blinds in the room.

Can anyone verify how well the VT and ST perform in lighter conditions?
The ST60 does indeed have fairly high input lag... arguably the most disappointing aspect of this set, considering all of the other models have good input lag, even the 2012 models (ST50 included).
The ST60 is considerably brighter than the VT60... brightness shouldn't be an issue. The VT60 does have a better filter, though. Brighter picture vs better screen filter... I don't know what will perform better in a bright room... haven't compared them. I do know that my ST50's filter works quite well in a bright room, and I can't imagine Panasonic would make it worse for the ST60.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 PM

I am a big fan of the 8500, however i have heard the input lag is EVEN WORSE on the 8500 than it is on the ST60?

Thats an excellent question, does the brighter ST60 or the better filter of the VT60 peform better in daylight conditions??
Im not talking sun directly shinning on the TV set, just the ability to not worry about turning my family room into a dungon just to watch sunday afternoon sports.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Ugh found a display model 65 vt50 for 2700$. Would this be a good choice? This years 60 inch vt is the same price. I am so confused!!! Would the zt50 handle my light issues and input lag issues!?!?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page