Which size? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Which size?
Bubbleboyjones's Avatar Bubbleboyjones 10:07 AM 06-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygiant75 View Post

Ha ha, thanks for the post again. Yeah, I feel like I have been beaten on a little. Honestly though, I asked for opinions so I respect what people post, no problem. .

The only reason we are beating you up(me smile.gif ) is because we hate seeing people make a potential mistake. Couple common reoccurring mistakes from people are mounting high above a fireplace and buying a tv too small.

You ask and you receive smile.gif

whipit's Avatar whipit 11:43 AM 06-21-2013
In my bedroom(13x18') I have a 50" on a tilt swivel mount that pulls away from the wall about 20". The bed is offset from the tv and the tv is mounted so the top is at the same level as the top of the door next to it. My viewing distance is 10'. When it's off it's a bit big but when it's on it's a bit small. I've gotten as close as 4' when something nice is being displayed, just for kicks. I tilt it down for comfort viewing(lying in bed) and rotate the tv so I can see it squarely, just looks better to me(AR filter). And if it's too far away I can extend it from the wall. $40 mount at monoprice. Anyway, food for thought.
TheaterChad's Avatar TheaterChad 04:00 PM 06-25-2013
NyGiant75: Sorry I've been with-out power since last Friday at 8:00 pm, a big severe storm came through the Minneapolis area, and over 500,000 people have been effected with no power until mid / late today / tomorrow.... So it's been a real mess around my area....

So I thought I'd ask, where are you with your decision? Mostly with mounting your new flat panel to the Brick? I have a few other possibilities on mounting..

Are you up to this to DIY, or you looking for an installer? I have the new mantle designs I was going to do myself, I will have to take some pics, I found them, as you will need to know where your going to run cables, you have to know some tricks on cable management, with a hidden in-the-wall outlet for power, and then running hdmi, optical, and some other wires if needed, if your going directly to your tv / soundbar. I'd like to see you go directly to a budget new receiver with full HDMI inputs and control, but that's just me....
TheaterChad's Avatar TheaterChad 07:10 AM 06-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

You need to look into a way of getting the mantle off. I can't stress how bad of an idea it is to mount it that high above. You're going to be spending numerous hours watching that TV...You don't want to be looking up at it.

The mantle is the most important part of this type of install, especially for a wood burning fireplace, as it deflects the heat or any accidental flames away from the fireplace front area, but yes, the mantle needs to be removed, and a newer one made a distance lower from the existing one, then you can make some areas for wiring.

NyGiant:

Here is a sample design I did on cad, I made up a wider ledge of the mantle part to be 18 to 20" wide, for help deflecting heat.

Maybe you could PM me some other pics of your room, would help to have a layout with some dimension's of the room with where the FP is located.
Bubbleboyjones's Avatar Bubbleboyjones 10:23 AM 06-26-2013
I was making the assumption that he wasn't going to use the fire place. Not sure if i missed him saying either way...
TheaterChad's Avatar TheaterChad 04:41 PM 06-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleboyjones View Post

I was making the assumption that he wasn't going to use the fire place. Not sure if i missed him saying either way...

That's usually the way this happens ( I mean nygiant ) as they tell themselves with this idea, nahh, we won't use the fireplace, until it's zero outside, and then poooof, there's a fire.....biggrin.gif
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 06:45 PM 06-26-2013
It would be awful tempting if the electric was out. I wouldnt have a fireplace that I couldnt use. The tv would just have to go somewhere else or Id make it work.
nygiant75's Avatar nygiant75 08:41 AM 06-27-2013
I appreciate everyone's input and ideas I really do, this is a great forum.

I guess it's different in person then with pictures and a written explanation. We are going to move forward and have a company come in and mount a 60 inch Panasonic plasma. I've decided to go with the JBL SB400 sound bar. All of this will go above the mantle. the plasma will be on a tilt mount, I think we will be fine. Is it ideal? no probably far from it. is a practical for us? very much so for our lifestyle and the room it is going in.

I am very excited and cannot wait.
chunon's Avatar chunon 08:50 AM 06-27-2013
Quote:

I guess it's different in person then with pictures and a written explanation. We are going to move forward and have a company come in and mount a 60 inch Panasonic plasma. I've decided to go with the JBL SB400 sound bar. All of this will go above the mantle. the plasma will be on a tilt mount, I think we will be fine. Is it ideal? no probably far from it. is a practical for us? very much so for our lifestyle and the room it is going in.

Good decision imo, please post some pics after the install is done if you can smile.gif enjoy !
TheaterChad's Avatar TheaterChad 10:11 AM 06-27-2013
Quote:

Excellent, you've made a decision, good to hear your moving forward!!! Will look forward to pics of your room when finished!
garthy232's Avatar garthy232 11:24 AM 06-27-2013
I also think you made a great choice. smile.gif We sit about 12' away from the TV and we think 65" is about right for our viewing needs.
TheaterChad's Avatar TheaterChad 11:46 AM 08-27-2013
Hey nygiant75:

Just curious if you've made any progress? We like lot's of pics pics......
Tags: Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop