Are Plasma's good for GAMING? specifically, the S60? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 06-13-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

I need to purchase a TV as soon as possible, the last time I got one was 4 years ago and holy **** there are so many options I have a headache.

TRUTHFULLY; All I use it for is this

#1) Hooking my PC using HDMI so I can surf the net, do some writing, listen to some music, and watch HQ movies directly off my hard-drive.

#2) Playing PS3 games

From my own research I've concluded that the Panasonic S60 might be the best bet, but I am worried about

-- Image burn (I think that's called IR?)
-- and Input Lag for my ps3 games
-- also can I use it as a glorified monitor for my PC needs in the living room? I was reading that the screen sounds of buzzing and other things that weren't positive for use with the PC HDMI.

I really want to purchase this tomorrow, I've been without-tv-or-games for a while now!

what do you guys think?

tips/advice would be very much appreciated.

If the S60 isn't good, what can you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

anybody?

I am in a room where light can be controlled, and I can sit as far or close as I want.

the Official S60 thread is really disconcerting as some people praise it for PQ and Gaming Ability and others do not...

I just want to play Fifa 13 on my PS3 (about 2 hours a day) and do some surfing (1-2 hours a day) and some TV watching with the family (2-3 hours a day)

>>> Also I have another question; a lot of settings exist for "Movies etc" and "Games" are they presets you can change? or is it having to go to individual settings and change everything all the time whenever you want to play? that sounds lame...
post #3 of 27 Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 PM

Liked: 26
That would be a bad idea because of image retention with ur browser being so stagnant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #4 of 27 Old 06-13-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

dangit! that's what I was afraid of.........

I officially give up frown.gif

I just want a TV for browsing and Gaming

what do I get? I've been researching for 2 weeks now.

frown.gif
post #5 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If you want to use a TV as a PC monitor with frequently static graphics, you should either get an older plasma display (2009 or older) which are more rugged with regards to burn in, or an LCD, or an LED-LCD.
post #6 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 03:47 AM

Liked: 15
Since light can be controlled in your environment then the S60 is a good choice since supposedly it is has input response but if it wasn't in a light controlled room then there is a chance that it would be really reflective. The ST60 is the one that supposedly has input lag for games and from one video that I saw, it also lags as a PC monitor. I personally have last year's ST50 and I love it and I would highly recommend it. It's awesome for XBox 360 games, PS3 games and Blu-ray and the anti-reflective screen also serves as an advantage even in light controlled rooms.

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
post #7 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Since light can be controlled in your environment then the S60 is a good choice since supposedly it is has input response but if it wasn't in a light controlled room then there is a chance that it would be really reflective. The ST60 is the one that supposedly has input lag for games and from one video that I saw, it also lags as a PC monitor. I personally have last year's ST50 and I love it and I would highly recommend it. It's awesome for XBox 360 games, PS3 games and Blu-ray and the anti-reflective screen also serves as an advantage even in light controlled rooms.

With gaming on your St50...have u noticed any IR?
post #8 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepestre View Post

Hi there,

I need to purchase a TV as soon as possible, the last time I got one was 4 years ago and holy **** there are so many options I have a headache.

TRUTHFULLY; All I use it for is this

#1) Hooking my PC using HDMI so I can surf the net, do some writing, listen to some music, and watch HQ movies directly off my hard-drive.

#2) Playing PS3 games

From my own research I've concluded that the Panasonic S60 might be the best bet, but I am worried about

-- Image burn (I think that's called IR?)
-- and Input Lag for my ps3 games
-- also can I use it as a glorified monitor for my PC needs in the living room? I was reading that the screen sounds of buzzing and other things that weren't positive for use with the PC HDMI.

I really want to purchase this tomorrow, I've been without-tv-or-games for a while now!

what do you guys think?

tips/advice would be very much appreciated.

If the S60 isn't good, what can you recommend?

I m thinking you should go LED. I have an ST50 that has some IR from playing Battlefield 4. I have the Geek squad coming out on Tuesday for this. From what I have read you can game on a plasma but you have run different tv programming, pixel flippers, amd the scroll bar to get rid of IR. Seems like a lot of work
post #9 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry77 View Post

With gaming on your St50...have u noticed any IR?

No permanent image retention on my tv but I made sure to break it in with the slides for probably a month straight by leaving on the tv day and night. Some say it's b.s. to run the slides but I did it just in case. Sometimes it seemed like I got very faint image retention from a pop up screen that I got when I turned the tv on before I turned on the consoles but it soon disappeared when it either went to another screen once I turned on the console or when I turned the tv off and then back on. I never got any image retention that lingered on so I had no issues with any serious image retention.

post #10 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM

A good break in does reduce temporary "IR", noticeably, slides or not.

Wow, you left your tv on for a month straight with no breaks? You're braver than me. I did the slides (and full screen), but, the longest full stretch I did was 48 hours. Mainly I'd run for 24 hours, than give my tv an 8 hour break.

I've only played a few games on my new tv, but, I'm starting to loosen up. After 300 hours or so of break in, an hour or two doesn't really make as big of a difference in your plasma's aging, at least that would make sense.

The fist game I played on my plasma was SSF4 arcade edition, I turned off life bars. I'm not sure if it was not having the life bars to worry about, or lack of input lag, but I tore it up. I'd say my abilities in that game were increased 20%. Like I said, I'm not sure if it was because of lack of input lag, or not having the health bar onscreen (I've always considered health bars distracting at crucial times), I just know it felt a lot smoother, and all my moves flowed.
post #11 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 506
would not worry about IR. at worst it's temporary anyhow. i've been using a plasma as my HTPC monitor, and for gaming, for years with no permanent issues. the IR that i do get is pretty much invisible from 8feet back or further, or at just about any distance with moving images on screen.

input lag would be the biggest question if coming from a crt. many higher end models include more processing and increases lag. it's up to you to figure out how much is too much though.
post #12 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepestre View Post

dangit! that's what I was afraid of.........

I officially give up frown.gif

I just want a TV for browsing and Gaming

what do I get? I've been researching for 2 weeks now.

frown.gif

2 whole weeks huh? tongue.gif

i kid, but seriously, i've been searching since about 2008...
post #13 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

A good break in does reduce temporary "IR", noticeably, slides or not.

Wow, you left your tv on for a month straight with no breaks? You're braver than me. I did the slides (and full screen), but, the longest full stretch I did was 48 hours. Mainly I'd run for 24 hours, than give my tv an 8 hour break.

I've only played a few games on my new tv, but, I'm starting to loosen up. After 300 hours or so of break in, an hour or two doesn't really make as big of a difference in your plasma's aging, at least that would make sense.

The fist game I played on my plasma was SSF4 arcade edition, I turned off life bars. I'm not sure if it was not having the life bars to worry about, or lack of input lag, but I tore it up. I'd say my abilities in that game were increased 20%. Like I said, I'm not sure if it was because of lack of input lag, or not having the health bar onscreen (I've always considered health bars distracting at crucial times), I just know it felt a lot smoother, and all my moves flowed.

Yeah, I did an aggressive break-in because I wanted at least 500 hours on it before doing any type of gaming but I think I did way more than that. I think I may have turned off the tv here and there but I think I left it on more or less most of the day for close to a month or maybe a bit less at close to four weeks. I really don't know for sure but I didn't mind not using my tv because I was looking for a receiver and speakers at that time so I was in no hurry.

post #14 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Yeah, I did an aggressive break-in because I wanted at least 500 hours on it before doing any type of gaming but I think I did way more than that. I think I may have turned off the tv here and there but I think I left it on more or less most of the day for close to a month or maybe a bit less at close to four weeks. I really don't know for sure but I didn't mind not using my tv because I was looking for a receiver and speakers at that time so I was in no hurry.

Did the cops knock on your door looking for hydroponic lights ? biggrin.gif
Butmuncher likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #15 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Did the cops knock on your door looking for hydroponic lights ? biggrin.gif

No, they probably figured I really like looking at colors. To be honest, it had to be close to a month and I'm sure I periodically turned off the tv for long periods of time here and there. I remember sometimes turning it off at night some nights but I was really set on giving this tv more than 500 hours of break-in before I started gaming.

post #16 of 27 Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Liked: 12
If you need a monitor that's not for color reference (ie a desktop) I would probably avoid plasma. With that said they're fantastic for gaming, better than The LCD alternatives in my opinion. If you have a PS3, get a 60 series and not a 50 series. The 50 series are noticeably less sharp than the 60's when outputting a 720p signal, which is usually what the ps3 displays.
post #17 of 27 Old 06-15-2013, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
post #18 of 27 Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
I've gamed a ton on my system, mainly Diablo3 through my PC (did some loooong 3-5 hr sessions when the TV didn't have that many hours on it) and now I'm over 800 hours give or take and I have yet to see ANY image retention.

I also daily go on my PC to check my email, browse the web (post on AVS forums for instance), and that also hasn't caused me any IR that I've noticed while just doing my thing.

Now, if I were to for instance pop up colored slides like the ones D-nice provides for his panel prep, then yes you can see some faint IR depending on the slide's color and the content you were watching before, but this is not something I've noticed while just watching TV/movies/games/PC usage, etc....

When I'm leaving my PC unattended which is being displayed on my S60, I either double click on my desktop that has various screensavers (Ribbons or JscreenFix or Blank) or if I'm just in general going to be going away from the TV for a few minutes I will go to Picture-Screen settings--Screen display-Off (this basically turns off the screen but the audio keeps running)

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #19 of 27 Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Gaming with a plasma is the best gamng experience i've ever had, it's motion when fed a solid 60fps is smooth and ghost free bt if you cant push a solid 60fps then you wont benifit from plasma anyway due to ghosting ( frameskips, one millisecond its there next its there ), lcd can only come close with frame interpolation active but that produces too much input lag.

As for using it with a pc....

You will have zero issues if you do the following things.

Autohide the taskbar and the webpage address bar, hiding these will make them dissapear off screen, to make them reapear for a moment you just take your mouse curser to the tp for address or bottom for taskbar, if you do'nt autohide these you WILL get screen burn 100% !!!

You do'nty have to worrie about desktop icons/files ect as you will be using internet ect so you will most likely only see the full desktop inbetween doing things.

I say what i've said above from experience after getting screen burn from only the address bar and the taskbar, i sold that e6500 and got a ps51e800 and autohid the bars from day one, many months down the line i have zero burn in in these 2 area's.
If my e8000 is on for 14 hours a day wich it usually is then pc is on for around 3-7 hours and that includes gaming and googlin ect.

As fairchild99 says, he do'nt have any ir but in reality he admits he does if he uses certain colour slides, this is how it was with my e6500, i cold see it slightly when using samsungs white and black screen wash but i never ever seen it in anything else but it was there and i suppose if i left my bars locked it would of been a problem later down the line.

At the end of every night i set my tv timer to 30 minutes and then put screen brn protection on and go bed, i buy my tv's for gaming and pc wink.gif allthough i do watch tv pc is the main thing i use it for.

Bugged Interleaved/checkerboard lg forum thread, please add your names.http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-fo...-lg-3dtvs.html
post #20 of 27 Old 06-16-2013, 11:46 AM

Yeah I'll just chime in on the matter since I have used plasma's for my gaming/htpc setup for years without any issues. First off as long as you keep a few things in mind and pick up some new habits for controlling your tv you will never experience permanent burn in, here are some tips for you that have worked for me, and a few as others have said here:

On the pc side:
1) Autohide the taskbar, and hide ALL of your desktop icons, I run a 3rd party prog called rocketdock, and use it in conjunction with windows taskbar to quick launch my programs from both, and both can be set to autohide when not in use.
2) Set your windows background pictures to a slideshow, and have it set at 30 second to 1 minute intervals (for example I have my background cycle between about 150 different 1080p screenshots from games that I've played every minute so there is never a static image on the screen for long)
3) Be aware that certain plasma's and game engines can have problems, most specifically cryengine 2-3, it will detect the 24hz option on your tv and lock your refresh rate to 24hz, to work around it create a custom resolution of 1920x1076x60hz and use that instead of 1920x1080 in the game's graphics options)

Aside from those tips all you have to be aware of is that if you are playing a game and your fps drops below 60fps you will notice a very pronounced "smeared " look to the image when you move around, this is something I've noticed on all my plasma's and is not present on my led for example, but it really is not the end of the world, and the gamebryo engines seem to have this problem worse than anything (fallout 3/new vegas/oblivion/skyrim). Also as others have mentioned if you do a long gaming session just set your tv to display a fullscreen moving image for an hour or so and it will be good as new.. for example I used to do marathon mmo sessions playing WoW and Tera, when I was done I would just either watch normal tv, or if it was around bedtime or if I was going out somewhere I would set it to a tv channel, zoom the image in so that the channel's logo was not visible, set the tv sleep timer for 90 minutes, and not worry about it.. every time temporary ir was gone.

Dont let anyone tell you gaming is not reccomended or possible on a plasma, yes you do have to take a few more cautionary steps, and be vigilant, but the better motion and colors a plasma produces will always trump and lcd/led of the same size when it comes to gaming.
post #21 of 27 Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12am View Post

Yeah I'll just chime in on the matter since I have used plasma's for my gaming/htpc setup for years without any issues. First off as long as you keep a few things in mind and pick up some new habits for controlling your tv you will never experience permanent burn in, here are some tips for you that have worked for me, and a few as others have said here:

On the pc side:
1) Autohide the taskbar, and hide ALL of your desktop icons, I run a 3rd party prog called rocketdock, and use it in conjunction with windows taskbar to quick launch my programs from both, and both can be set to autohide when not in use.
2) Set your windows background pictures to a slideshow, and have it set at 30 second to 1 minute intervals (for example I have my background cycle between about 150 different 1080p screenshots from games that I've played every minute so there is never a static image on the screen for long)
3) Be aware that certain plasma's and game engines can have problems, most specifically cryengine 2-3, it will detect the 24hz option on your tv and lock your refresh rate to 24hz, to work around it create a custom resolution of 1920x1076x60hz and use that instead of 1920x1080 in the game's graphics options)

Aside from those tips all you have to be aware of is that if you are playing a game and your fps drops below 60fps you will notice a very pronounced "smeared " look to the image when you move around, this is something I've noticed on all my plasma's and is not present on my led for example, but it really is not the end of the world, and the gamebryo engines seem to have this problem worse than anything (fallout 3/new vegas/oblivion/skyrim). Also as others have mentioned if you do a long gaming session just set your tv to display a fullscreen moving image for an hour or so and it will be good as new.. for example I used to do marathon mmo sessions playing WoW and Tera, when I was done I would just either watch normal tv, or if it was around bedtime or if I was going out somewhere I would set it to a tv channel, zoom the image in so that the channel's logo was not visible, set the tv sleep timer for 90 minutes, and not worry about it.. every time temporary ir was gone.

Dont let anyone tell you gaming is not reccomended or possible on a plasma, yes you do have to take a few more cautionary steps, and be vigilant, but the better motion and colors a plasma produces will always trump and lcd/led of the same size when it comes to gaming.

I would not recommend gaming on a plasma. I am dealing with this issue now.

Before I get into my situation...what precautionary steps would you recommend for gaming on a plasma?

I purchased a Panasonic 55 inch ST50 exactly a year ago. I play my Xbox 360 and watch movies on it. About a month ago I noticed IR from playing battlefield 4 on live through Xbox
Live. I have ran the scroll bar feature on my TV and it has not worked. Best Buy geek squad came out today and more than likely I will be getting a replacement set.

And with the prospect of a new set, I am actually thinking of picking up an LED. It seems to me that if you are going to just watch movies, plasmas are probably the way to go. But gaming, I wouldn't recommend it from my experience.
post #22 of 27 Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll throw my two cents in here. I'm new to plasma for the most part. I've had my ST60 for about a month, probably a tad over 100 hours I would think, maybe more. I've been babying it for the most part. And when I say babying it I mean, unless I'm watching a full screen 16x9 HD movie with no black bars, say hbo, I run cadetts settings but bump the contrast down to the 40's. So any channels with logos, A&E, History, Discovery, contrast never goes above 50. My wife watches investigation discovery off and on throughout the day, its a big logo, sorta transparent. I've also been gaming on it a bit lately with The Last of Us (incredible by the way). Its hud is fairly minimal showing mainly a little health circle around your ammo gauge, but I've also been playing with the contrast really low on that as well. Cranking up the brightness in the game settings helps compensate some. Picture still looks really good playing like this. With these precautions so far I have been lucky and haven't had an ounce of IR yet. Now do you need to put the contrast to that extreme, probably not. But I'm just being overly cautious for now. I fully expect to probably get some IR eventually, especially from games with crazy HUD's but I'm gonna take it easy on them type games for now. I also have the Disney WoW bluray for the pixel flipper just in case.

I previously had gotten the new LG6200 LED tv. Not worrying about IR is a really nice thing to have. Response time was really good as well (I don't notice input lag really on the ST60 but rest assured its fairly high, s60 is much better). However, imo, even having my contrast so low on my ST60, no LCD/LED I have ever owned can hold a candle to a plasma, especially when I'm watching movies with the contrast and settings set normally. Off-angle viewing is perfect, screen uniformity perfect, motion great, etc, etc. My main worry is that I will get IR, but in the end, that is a trade off I'm pretty comfortable making for all the pluses I'm seeing with plasma. IR sucks, some have it worse than others, but eventually, even if it seemingly takes forever IR does fade away. But for LED's, clouding, motion blur, screen uniformity, terrible off-angle viewing, those usually don't get better.
post #23 of 27 Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 PM

I have a 50S60 and I game quite a bit on it. I haven't had any IR at all, even with games like Fallout NV. I didn't game at all in the first 100 hours of break in and I was careful the next 100 hours. Now I just treat it like any other TV, of course I don't do anything stupid like leave it on pause for long periods of time. I think it's an excellent TV for gaming.
post #24 of 27 Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For gaming specifically, a good plasma will offer better image quality and lower input lag than an LCD. I play games on my Pioneer KRP-500m and it is easily the best gaming experience I have EVER had, the black levels make darker games like Metro Last Light look absolutely stunning. Input lag on the ISF modes is already pretty low, but in Game Mode it is eliminated entirely. I don't know too much about the Panasonic displays, but I believe they will offer a similar experience (albeit not to the quality of a 500m).

So gaming is not a problem at all on a modern plasma and will certainly be much better than any lcd regarding image quality and input lag (in most cases).

However if you are thinking of using it for HEAVY desktop PC use (as a large monitor) I think that would pose a problem. I highly discourage that. I hook up my 500m to my PC through the HDMI out on my videocard to play PC games with no problem. I even look at some youtube videos and do some brief desktop stuff in Windows. But the vast majority of the PC stuff I do on my 500m relates to gaming and watching videos with slight deviations to maybe check my email or look up something online when I don't want to go to another room to use a computer at a desk. With this type of use, there is no problem. But you should always keep the orbiter (or similar anti burn in tech) enabled.

Even though burn in is pretty much a non issue in modern plasmas, it is still highly inadvisable to use a plasma for hours of desktop PC use. I don't even know why you would want to do such a thing.

I suggest you keep a regular 24" LCD monitor for desktop PC use and only hook up your computer to your plasma screen for watching movies and/or playing games. Some desktop use is reasonable (less than 30 minutes at a time), but make sure that is a small fraction of what you display on your plasma.

It would be a pity if you chose an LCD display simply so you could do desktop work on a 50" screen, when you would be compromising quality substantially for movies, tv, and videogames.

Like I said, I suggest you get the Panasonic ST60 (or a higher end Panasonic model if you want) and get a satisfactory 24-30" computer monitor for desktop work. If you are unhappy with the quality of the LCD monitor for desktop work, I suggest you try to track down a Sony GDM-FW900 crt monitor.

You could always try to track down a used Kuro, but that is a much riskier proposition of course. I bought my KRP-500m with low hours for $1200. This is lower than an ST60 but with superior performance to all the new Panasonics. But if something goes wrong with it I am screwed basically.
post #25 of 27 Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 AM

""So gaming is not a problem at all on a modern plasma and will certainly be much better than any lcd regarding image quality and input lag (in most cases).""

The problem with this statement is gaming is a "BIG" problem for plasma, and responsible for most long term "IR" or image burn.

Gaming on a plasma has it's bonuses, but, claiming that it is without its dangers is misleading.

If you plan on putting in long hours of console gaming get an LED, or plan on dealing with some form of long term "IR" sooner or later.

Shoot, you can even pick up a LED computer monitor with HDMI input cheaply, and do long gaming sessions on that. I'd save the plasma for quicker sessions, and games that allow you to remove static images from the screen.

Saying that you don't have have to worry about messing up a plasma when gaming is irresponsible, and may very well cause someone to damage their new plasma tv. There are thousands of complaints about bad "IR" from gaming on plasma's.
post #26 of 27 Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

""So gaming is not a problem at all on a modern plasma and will certainly be much better than any lcd regarding image quality and input lag (in most cases).""

The problem with this statement is gaming is a "BIG" problem for plasma, and responsible for most long term "IR" or image burn.

Gaming on a plasma has it's bonuses, but, claiming that it is without its dangers is misleading.

If you plan on putting in long hours of console gaming get an LED, or plan on dealing with some form of long term "IR" sooner or later.

Shoot, you can even pick up a LED computer monitor with HDMI input cheaply, and do long gaming sessions on that. I'd save the plasma for quicker sessions, and games that allow you to remove static images from the screen.

Saying that you don't have have to worry about messing up a plasma when gaming is irresponsible, and may very well cause someone to damage their new plasma tv. There are thousands of complaints about bad "IR" from gaming on plasma's.

What type of plasma screen do YOU have? I am making the claim (that has been backed up by most experts on this site) that permanent burn in is very difficult to achieve on a new plasma. Like I said, I have a Pioneer KRP-500m and I have played games for multiple hours at a time with no problems whatsoever. It is certainly possible that cheaper plasma displays are more susceptible to image retention, but at the high end (Pioneer and Panasonic) I think there should be no problems whatsoever gaming for long sessions at a time.

I would note two things however. You should not be gaming during the "break in" period, for the first several hundred hours. You should also always enable the "orbiter" tech that rotates the pixels. If you do these things, I can't imagine image retention being a problem with even long term gaming sessions.

You'll note that I did strongly advise against desktop PC use with a plasma. Lengthy display of static images or patterns probably WILL eventually lead to image retention. But games don't involve static images but consistently moving images. And games generally don't have static elements anymore (health bars and so forth).

The only thing to think about with a plasma is that you shouldn't have a static image on the screen for a long period of time. That is it. It doesn't matter if it is a videogame, a movie or regular tv.

With responsible use, image retention will NOT be an issue on a nice plasma display. I just hate that plasma tech (which is superior in most ways to LCD) is losing to inferior technology partially because of hysteria over supposed "defects" that, for all practical purposes, have been resolved for many years now.

And for gaming, the image quality difference between a nice plasma display like the 500m and an LCD would be substantial.
post #27 of 27 Old 06-19-2013, 01:45 PM

I've got a Samsung (a cheap one btw). I did a proper break in and no longer get noticeable "IR" from static images left onscreen (A few minutes), and letterbox goes away quickly ( < 5's). I'm still taking it easy though.

I've got about 300 hours of usage atm, and have only done lite gaming. I do agree that permanent burn in is hard to do (from what I've read), but, many of the complaints about long term IR (Lasting weeks or months) I've read involved people who were careless and played games on their plasma's for prolong periods of time without worrying about burn in or IR.

It might be true that permanent burn in is far less likely, but, it is still very much a possibility to be affected by long term IR lasting weeks or months from careless plasma use.

I've personally come to the conclusion that great pains should be taken to prevent long term IR, or worse yet burn in, at least in the early (<500 hr) stages of a plasma life. Still, caution would be advised long after this time frame. I've read complaints of plasma owners who after 2 or more years of ownership, developed persistence IR.

The price of the plasma doesn't seem to be as much of a determining factor, I've read plenty of IR, and burn in complaints which involved plasma's > $2000. Plasma brand, IMO, plays a more important role here.

All of that said, even this cheap'o plasma I've got out preforms (PQ) LCD based tv's I've owned that cost 6 times as much. Gaming looks and feels great, but, worrying about long term "IR" and burn in is a problem which is hard to overlook.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page