R.I.P. My Panasonic TH-50PZ77U? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 06-13-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just turned it on and I get nothing but a black screen. Cable box, Wii U, PS3, 360 are all working fine and I even tried some new HDMI cables thinking maybe the old ones shorted or something, but no screen comes up. TV powers on and the light stays solid red just like it was yesterday when it was working fine, but all I see is a black screen. frown.gif

Shot an email to Panasonic but I don't expect anything to come from it because I can't afford any repairs or a new TV at this time, and it's way out of warranty so you know they ain't gonna do s***. This sucks.

I think it was caused by a storm we had this morning when some lightning struck the ground/something near our house, and all the electric went out for a minute. But I had the TV hooked up to a surge protector so I don't know why it happened. :/

Anybody have suggestions or am I pretty much screwed?

UPDATE:

Yep, it was the DG board. I had to order the part directly from Panasonic because there was no AB suffix to be found ANYWHERE. SO I spent $248 on the part, but it would have cost a lot more if I had gotten it professionally repaired. Replaced the board last night(a lot of screws!), popped everything back in and turned it on. BAM picture came in on HDMI port 1 and 2! I want to thank tom669 for his original suggestion of the DG board, and putting up with my messages. Without your help, this would definitely not have happened and I cannot thank you enough, sir! smile.gif

Now, there are still a couple issues I'm having, and if any of y'all have any suggestions on what to do I would greatly appreciate it:

The first is the picture size. On HD channels on my Comcast digital box, it's pretty much fine except for the guide, which seems to be a little higher than it use to be before the DG board went kaput. Please refer to these two pictures below which shows the screen size on HD channels without and with the cable guide on the screen;

HD no guide http://i.imgur.com/2vj8CpB.jpg
HD guide http://i.imgur.com/6lzaCi8.jpg

And the SD channels is where the bigger problem lies. The picture seems to be WAAAAYYY zoomed in much more than it was before the DG board fiasco. Before all this I had the picture perfect and set up so I could see as much of the image as possible and the guide was the perfect size on the screen, fitting it like a glove. But not it looks like this;

SD no guide http://i.imgur.com/TdeRNyL.jpg
SD guide http://i.imgur.com/NefekA0.jpg

Regrettably, I do not remember how I got the picture the way I wanted before on the HD and SD channels. I had it synced up on them perfectly but now the HD channels are good while the SD channels are terrible frown.gif

How do I fix this?

And the second issue I have is a good 6-10 second lag when switching between inputs. If I'm watching TV on HDMI 1 and switch it over to HDMI 2 to play some PS3, it takes forever for the image to pop in. I remember it not taking this long before I had to replace the DG board. It's just a minor complaint but I am a little worried in the back of my mind it could turn into a bigger issue later.

Other than those two issues the TV is working great. But I really would like to fix those two problems so I can have it completely back to normal. If anyone has any suggestions I'd LOVE to hear them and it would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-14-2013, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Does the LED flash red? If so, count the number of red flashes between each pause.

In a dark room can you see screen glow?

When you plug the unit in, do you hear relays clicking inside it?
post #3 of 30 Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

Does the LED flash red? If so, count the number of red flashes between each pause.

In a dark room can you see screen glow?

When you plug the unit in, do you hear relays clicking inside it?

1. Nope it stays a solid red like it always has.

2. Yes. Can can clearly make out the TV is on even with the black picture. It's definitely lit up.

3. I hear nothing of the sort. No sound when I plug it in.

Thanks for caring enough to try to help me, BTW. I really appreciate it. smile.gif
post #4 of 30 Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

OK, if you press a button on the remote, does the light flash?

Do you wish to do a component level repair yourself? Most TVs nowadays can be fixed with a screwdriver and a dash of patience.

If the TV powers up and the panel is primed (glowing slightly), but there is no video, you can verify the D board (on sets using a separate board like this one) using a button sequence on the remote control and TV.
  • Power the TV on.
  • On the TV, hold the MINUS button.
  • Press the numeric zero button three times on the remote in quick succession.
  • Wait approximately 10 seconds.
  • Press the red button on the remote control twice.
  • A pattern should appear. Press red again to cycle through each.
  • Then power the TV off.

My personal opinion is A board.
post #5 of 30 Old 06-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Liked: 32
I've fixed a similar issue on my Panny 800u by simply unplugging the xbox 360 (all wires, power and hdmi, etc) and also the tv. let it sit for a bit then just plug in the tv by itself and power it on. this has fixed it twice for me. it seems to be something specific to the xbox 360 on my set. i have no idea why. i also can plug the 360 in again after i get it working again and it works fine. might be worth a try for you, as our old sets are very similar, if I'm remembering correctly.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #6 of 30 Old 06-14-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK, if you press a button on the remote, does the light flash?

Do you wish to do a component level repair yourself? Most TVs nowadays can be fixed with a screwdriver and a dash of patience.

If the TV powers up and the panel is primed (glowing slightly), but there is no video, you can verify the D board (on sets using a separate board like this one) using a button sequence on the remote control and TV.
  • Power the TV on.
  • On the TV, hold the MINUS button.
  • Press the numeric zero button three times on the remote in quick succession.
  • Wait approximately 10 seconds.
  • Press the red button on the remote control twice.
  • A pattern should appear. Press red again to cycle through each.
  • Then power the TV off.

My personal opinion is A board.
I just tried doing this and nothing happened. frown.gif I powered the TV on, held the MINUS button(that's the volume button, right?), pressed the 0 button three times really quick, counted to 10 and hit the red button("R", right by the G B Y buttons) twice and no pattern came up. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help, too.

EDIT - Also, yes I am willing to do whatever it takes to fix the TV myself since I really can't afford a new TV or outrageous repair fees right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

I've fixed a similar issue on my Panny 800u by simply unplugging the xbox 360 (all wires, power and hdmi, etc) and also the tv. let it sit for a bit then just plug in the tv by itself and power it on. this has fixed it twice for me. it seems to be something specific to the xbox 360 on my set. i have no idea why. i also can plug the 360 in again after i get it working again and it works fine. might be worth a try for you, as our old sets are very similar, if I'm remembering correctly.
This was one of the first things I tried with no results. Appreciate the suggestions, though.

Still waiting to hear back from Panasonic.
post #7 of 30 Old 06-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

OK, can you tell me if the LED blinks at all when you press a button or if it is continuously solid?

Repair would likely involve replacing this part:
http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=TNPA4415

or this part:
http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-tztnp01lxtu-d-board.htm

(you can get them from other suppliers, potentially for much less.)

I personally favour the first board given the symptoms.

This set is a little older and DG+H boards are separate, on newer sets they are combined into a single A board.
post #8 of 30 Old 06-15-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK, can you tell me if the LED blinks at all when you press a button or if it is continuously solid?

Repair would likely involve replacing this part:
http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=TNPA4415

or this part:
http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-tztnp01lxtu-d-board.htm

(you can get them from other suppliers, potentially for much less.)

I personally favour the first board given the symptoms.

This set is a little older and DG+H boards are separate, on newer sets they are combined into a single A board.
Yes, the LED on the TV stays solid.
post #9 of 30 Old 06-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

In which case, I would suggest the DG board. If you order from a good supplier, they will offer a returns policy in case it is not the part at fault, but I am reasonably confident it is. Check the TNPA number -plus- the suffix e.g. "AC". You must match them.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-15-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In which case, I would suggest the DG board. If you order from a good supplier, they will offer a returns policy in case it is not the part at fault, but I am reasonably confident it is. Check the TNPA number -plus- the suffix e.g. "AC". You must match them.
I appreciate the info. Is there any online tutorials explaining how to replace the DG board in-depth on my particular model?
post #11 of 30 Old 06-16-2013, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice187 View Post

I appreciate the info. Is there any online tutorials explaining how to replace the DG board in-depth on my particular model?

There's not much involved.

Carefully undo all connectors on the old board.
Remove all the screws from the old board and keep them safe.
Remove the old board and keep it to the side for now.
Install the new board.
Install the screws from the old board.
Install the connectors.

You can complete the operation within an hour.

Bribery of friends with alcoholic beverages may be necessary to help you get it off the wall or whatever it is standing on. wink.gif

You may want to take a photo of the connectors first so you know where each goes -- that being said Panasonic TVs tend to make each connector a different size so only one way is possible.
post #12 of 30 Old 06-16-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks man! I will definitely try this. Never done a TV repair this extensive before, but I think I can handle it and I'm sure it'll be way cheaper because the closest certified Panasonic repair shop to me is 40 miles away.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-13-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, it was the DG board. I had to order the part directly from Panasonic because there was no AB suffix to be found ANYWHERE. SO I spent $248 on the part, but it would have cost a lot more if I had gotten it professionally repaired. Replaced the board last night(a lot of screws!), popped everything back in and turned it on. BAM picture came in on HDMI port 1 and 2! I want to thank tom669 for his original suggestion of the DG board, and putting up with my messages. Without your help, this would definitely not have happened and I cannot thank you enough, sir! smile.gif

Now, there are still a couple issues I'm having, and if any of y'all have any suggestions on what to do I would greatly appreciate it:

The first is the picture size. On HD channels on my Comcast digital box, it's pretty much fine except for the guide, which seems to be a little higher than it use to be before the DG board went kaput. Please refer to these two pictures below which shows the screen size on HD channels without and with the cable guide on the screen;

HD no guide http://i.imgur.com/2vj8CpB.jpg
HD guide http://i.imgur.com/6lzaCi8.jpg

And the SD channels is where the bigger problem lies. The picture seems to be WAAAAYYY zoomed in much more than it was before the DG board fiasco. Before all this I had the picture perfect and set up so I could see as much of the image as possible and the guide was the perfect size on the screen, fitting it like a glove. But not it looks like this;

SD no guide http://i.imgur.com/TdeRNyL.jpg
SD guide http://i.imgur.com/NefekA0.jpg

Regrettably, I do not remember how I got the picture the way I wanted before on the HD and SD channels. I had it synced up on them perfectly but now the HD channels are good while the SD channels are terrible frown.gif

How do I fix this?

And the second issue I have is a good 6-10 second lag when switching between inputs. If I'm watching TV on HDMI 1 and switch it over to HDMI 2 to play some PS3, it takes forever for the image to pop in. I remember it not taking this long before I had to replace the DG board. It's just a minor complaint but I am a little worried in the back of my mind it could turn into a bigger issue later.

Other than those two issues the TV is working great. But I really would like to fix those two problems so I can have it completely back to normal. If anyone has any suggestions I'd LOVE to hear them and it would be much appreciated.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member

When you first installed the board did you get the First Time Setup menu, or did it just boot up straight away?
post #15 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

When you first installed the board did you get the First Time Setup menu, or did it just boot up straight away?
I got the first time setup menu.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Can you perhaps set your cable box to always output 720p or 1080p?
post #17 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can you perhaps set your cable box to always output 720p or 1080p?
Unfortunately It only goes up to 1080i, which is what I have it set to output right now.

Edit - Also the box has a 4:3 override feature, which is currently set to 480p
post #18 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

1080i is fine, when you switch to a standard def channel does the TV show "480p" or "480i" in the corner briefly?
post #19 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

It shows no indication of resolution anywhere when I switch to SD channels or HD channels.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

And if you turn the box on, from standby, or plug the cable in, do you briefly see "1080i" or similar?
post #21 of 30 Old 07-18-2013, 04:08 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have the same tv with an extremely similar problem and tried the DG board but got nothing better. The difference though my tv origionally after being struck by lighting would power up and I would see the input selector and could change it to HDMI 1&2. Swapped the DG board for a used(suffix AB so like origionally poster said there isn't a cheap new one on the market) one but now when powering on cant even see inputs. Any thoughts?
post #22 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

There's a good chance your new board is bad. No one tests used boards, so you take a chance whenever you buy one. Since the symptoms changed, something is wrong with that board.

Do check all cables are fully seated first, but it sounds like you'll need to return the board for a refund.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 06:15 AM

K. Do u think i need a new DG board or something different
post #24 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice187 View Post

And the SD channels is where the bigger problem lies. The picture seems to be WAAAAYYY zoomed in much more than it was before the DG board fiasco. Before all this I had the picture perfect and set up so I could see as much of the image as possible and the guide was the perfect size on the screen, fitting it like a glove.

I've got to ask this, only because it appears it has not been mentioned before, but have you tried the ASPECT button on your remote?

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #25 of 30 Old 07-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socerstoper2 View Post

K. Do u think i need a new DG board or something different

New DG board.
post #26 of 30 Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, kind of forgot about this topic.

My remaining issues have been fixed. The lag switching between inputs was caused by a crappy HDMI cable which I have replaced with a thicker, higher quality cable. And the screen stuff was worked out by fooling with the aspect ratio.

Got it all going good now and feel great that I fixed my TV myself. Thanks again tom! smile.gif
post #27 of 30 Old 07-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Ok I am kinda hijacking this thread but I have a sometimes red/green bar on my panny, could it be a similar problem with my DG board ???
post #28 of 30 Old 08-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My 9.5 year old Pani pro Plasma popped a green vertical line going from the top of the screen to about half-way down, Sometimes it turns red... Everyone says re-cycle it and get a new one.. Any ideas??? Thanx
post #29 of 30 Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

My 9.5 year old Pani pro Plasma popped a green vertical line going from the top of the screen to about half-way down, Sometimes it turns red... Everyone says re-cycle it and get a new one.. Any ideas??? Thanx

Different model & fault belongs in separate fault, but it's likely to be as simple as a loose cable.
post #30 of 30 Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 AM

Same problem?

I have the same model TV. Last night in the middle of watching 24 (on DVR) the screen went black. The TV's red light is still on and solid and the TV on-screen menu works, but no more picture from the DVR (or any other source from another TV input). Does this sound like the same issue as the OP had?

Thanks for your responses.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 50pz77u 50 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page