PN58C8000 Pink Banding - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 179 Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tom & all - Follow Tom's instructions, use caution when you remove the back panel, especially about not touching anything inside when it's powered up. Make a short recording of the pink banding and freeze it so you can view it when making the adjustment. Helps to have studied the Samsung blowup photo so you know exactly where to go on the panel to make the adjustment. Mine was a small white phillips head adj pot clearly marked Vs. It was located top of panel just right of the center. I didn't use a voltage meter, merely had my spouse watch the frozen recording as I turned the screw very slightly clockwise until the pink banding disappeared. Tom is right, takes far longer to remove all the rear panel screws than to make the adjustment. No more Pink banding, great picture again!! I did not download the Samsung firmware nor adjust anything yet on the white balance as their service menu suggested. Tom, we all owe you a pint of your favorite brew - Thanks greatly!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 179 Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 AM

Liked: 11
I just bought a used 51 inch 3d plasma for a very good price. After a few hours of viewing, started to notice this pink banding on bright whites (like bell center's ice). Ater the game. googled for that problem and read this thread where Tom explains how to fix it. Went through Samsung's service bulletin and did as they stated;

Adjusted VS voltage to 213V...it was set to 207V, wich is factory settings.

Pink banding is gone and the tv looks just great smile.gif

Thanks Tom and every body that has contributed.

Samsung 3D plasma PN51D550
post #33 of 179 Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 PM

Tom, I can't thank you enough. It was such an easy fix, I don't know why Samsung doesn't publicize this. For anyone else who has done it, does it last?
post #34 of 179 Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 PM

Liked: 27
So I've the same situation with my PN58C8000 and I've done a service request through Samsung with three business days passing and no response. I'm not in a major metropolitan area and I'm guessing service will be difficult. Mine has seen very few hours of use and I'm interested in knowing if there's an "easy" way or "difficult" I expect to determine the "hours of use".

Has anyone had the "service firmware" done to address the issue by itself, with the Vs adjustment at the same time or maybe just the Vs adjustment by itself. I've checked some threads and I don't see what I'd consider a "first hand" response. Everyone mentions it but there's no responders as to results - they're maybe happy now and enjoying the "new experience maybe"? Those that "hint" a fix don't seem to mention their specific product.

Has anyone had a "paid service call" to do the "service firmware" upgrade and the Vs adjustment?

Mine is on the wall and been there for quite some time. Can the rear cover be removed with the television attached to the stand? I'm assuming the proper way to do the Vs adjustment would be to monitor the television while doing the adjustment.

I'm NOT a Samsung "hater" and I don't believe that's ever gotten anyone anywhere. Am I upset? Of course. I expected it to maybe be more reliable than what I've maybe experienced. That's why I'm interested in the "hours of use" - When I did my first HD purchase a Toshiba 42" "rear projection" I asked the "retail vendor" - what about the Internet claims of problems with the unit, he showed me a machine from a customer that had been running for 100 plus hours with no problems in his shop. There were maybe 25+ comments from the owner on the Internet regarding the "trash" he was sold. This was best I recall a 90 day old unit. His comment to me was "the rest of the people are to busy enjoying their purchase and don't have time for the Internet right now."

If there's a Samsung technician in the Frederick MD vicinity that might stumble upon this thread I'd certainly appreciate a contact from them.

"Wag218R" - did you ever get yours off the wall?
post #35 of 179 Old 11-13-2013, 03:09 PM

No I havent WVZR1. I haven't yet bothered one of my buddies to help me take it down yet. Although the pink banding is getting worse so it will definitely be soon.
post #36 of 179 Old 11-13-2013, 04:31 PM

I had a conversation with a service shop today maybe 50 miles from me regarding the service. He mentions the "firmware" and the voltage adjustment generally is a fix. He of course mentioned I'll carry parts with me also. I emailed them snapshots and a copy of the service bulletin and called about an hour later and he said that's what most look like before. I then asked if because of the fees, the travel etc if the firmware could be done from a USB by me and he remarked "All "Firmaware" is downloadable to the TV from Samsung. We know that's not likely on a "one on one" and I believe there hasn't been a "firmware" update to the PN58C8000 since '11. That part of the conversation makes me somewhat skeptical because just looking at the bulletin you can surmise it wasn't a direct download to the TV. I'm going to give the conversation a rest for a couple days and call back and have maybe another one.

I'd really like a "first-hand" report from someone that has done the voltage only change on the PN58C8000 and if it actually "fixed" or just improved the condition somewhat.

It's a $170 difference between do the voltage adjustment with no "firmware" and doing the change including the "firmware" by the technician. I guess it could mean an off the wall, back on the wall, off the wall again and then back on the wall one final time if done in steps.

I was curious if maybe the "firmware" couldn't be pushed to the TV by Samsung. I might have a conversation with them tomorrow. They're pretty difficult to communicate with. Anyone with a "secret number" that "works"!!!
post #37 of 179 Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Really curious in these same questions, would love to get the new firmware in and then adjust the voltage.
post #38 of 179 Old 11-16-2013, 07:18 AM

Would you think that the "firmware" would install using the USB port and the "customer" remote OR would you think it would require the "service/factory" remote? I'm not opposed to paying for the USB information (from a reliable source) and doing the "firmware" before taking it from the wall, attaching the stand, acquiring something to sit it on and then waiting for the visit from the service shop.

I'm just interested in easing the degree of difficulty - if the "firmware" isn't a fix and the VS adjustment is required I might as well pay to have a complete diagnostic done and make decisions. The VS requires an "off the wall" experience so the diagnostics seem like a realistic approach. You can visually see expanded capacitors and maybe failing resistors by looking for discoloration but I believe I'd jut likely rather pay.

I'd just like a
post #39 of 179 Old 11-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Updating the firmware alone will not fix this issue.
Increasing the Vs is the only thing that would fix this issue as far as I am aware.
USB firmware updates do in many cases update the control board firmware, this is definitely true on Dxxx series Samsung but I am NOT sure if it applies to Cxxxx series.
post #40 of 179 Old 11-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Thank you - Tom

The service shop hints that the "firmware" fixes most from their experience and I asked if it took both or just the VS adjustment and if that accomplished the fix maybe you don't touch the "firmware". Sometimes "firmware" isn't the better idea!

I called another retailer that's a good ways off and asked about a service facility and their first response was to suggest the same shop that I was referred to and the area that they're in is actually a longer drive. That part of the conversation was good. A recommendation of the same shop by another retailer that's 70 miles away from them.

When I talked to the shop I spoke to the technician that said he would be the one making the trip.

It's amazing that with the abundance of owners that mention the problem there's not anyone that actually "paid attention" to what was done while the technician was there.

I'll likely just take it off the wall and do the entire service call thing. I just don't need them to attempt to sell me this board or that board along with the requested work just because they're in "his bag"!
post #41 of 179 Old 11-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Samsung doesn't want a written or verbal report from the techs. Sounds like Samsung has the whole procedure scripted out for everyone from the techs to their executive customer service whom I spent hours on the phone with trying to explain how it was unfair.thank you

Ux

post #42 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 AM

Liked: 21
I generally think Samsung panel sucks. My C series 63 inch panel was diagnosed complete failure in the 3rd year where the warranty ran out. Upon question why would a 60k hours lifespan panel died with less than 15% of the usage where i generally use it to watch movies only, Samsung reportedly said "it's very hard to predict on electronics.." and only only provide discounted panel replacement that only carry a mere 3 months warranty. And when pressed, they said they cant verify my claim of 15% of the total lifespan usage as the screen refused to power up, well, isnt that an easy job to deny the responsibility? Just bring a new panel and we'll see!!

So i told myself that this is it, if they cant stand behind their brochure claim of their panel lifespan, then Samsung cant make any "high end" panels since they dont even understand reliability and services come hand in hand.
post #43 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi4Hobby View Post

I generally think Samsung panel sucks. My C series 63 inch panel was diagnosed complete failure in the 3rd year where the warranty ran out. Upon question why would a 60k hours lifespan panel died with less than 15% of the usage where i generally use it to watch movies only, Samsung reportedly said "it's very hard to predict on electronics.." and only only provide discounted panel replacement that only carry a mere 3 months warranty. And when pressed, they said they cant verify my claim of 15% of the total lifespan usage as the screen refused to power up, well, isnt that an easy job to deny the responsibility? Just bring a new panel and we'll see!!

So i told myself that this is it, if they cant stand behind their brochure claim of their panel lifespan, then Samsung cant make any "high end" panels since they dont even understand reliability and services come hand in hand.

This doesn't make much sense. There are only a few things that can cause spontaneous panel failure.

The 1st is being cracked: either externally as the result of an impact or due to a design flaw on B and C series Samsung PDPs causing spontaneous cracking.
The 2nd is horizontal or vertical lines, both which are typically the result of the bonded ICs or ribbons failing.
The 3rd is slow gas leakage due to a defect, but this is incredibly rare.

That's it. So which one affected your panel?
post #44 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

This doesn't make much sense. There are only a few things that can cause spontaneous panel failure.

The 1st is being cracked: either externally as the result of an impact or due to a design flaw on B and C series Samsung PDPs causing spontaneous cracking.
The 2nd is horizontal or vertical lines, both which are typically the result of the bonded ICs or ribbons failing.
The 3rd is slow gas leakage due to a defect, but this is incredibly rare.

That's it. So which one affected your panel?

I am not sure. All i am getting from the Samsung technician report stating "Panel failure" and recommendation is "Replacing panel" and Samsung confirmed the part cost of over $1k.

The unit was wall hanged since day 1 and never since then removed. I was surprised to see the 3 types of failures you stated. All i know my unit will not power up with blinking red status light but if you attempt to power it up, it'll come on with a quick screen flash and nothing on display. The technicians have checked the main board, power supply board and left/right display board has not blown any fuses and came to the conclusion it's the panel failure. The frustrating part is, with such pretty obvious manufacturer's defect, Samsung is denying its responsibility claiming the warranty period is only 2 years and hence i'll need to pay for the part and labor. I googled around and noticed there're a few cases of C series panel failure and i told Samsung so and their response is "these are not reported on Samsung official website so they cannot verify if it's true or not.." again dodging for its responsibility..
post #45 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

You are being told crap by the technician. Probably they want to keep it for themselves wink.gif.

If you do not have any stuck lines on screen, then a white flash indicates the panel is OK. In other words, gas is still present so the plasma screen can still light up. (Even if you did have lines, the panel would still be ok... you'd just have to live with the lines...)

If you like, you can probably self repair for under $150 by replacing the X- or Y-main board. All you need is some patience and a digital multimeter (available for less than 10 dollars.)

Note, the tech may not be using authorised Samsung parts, but dodgy parts off eBay, so that might be why he can't get it working. I buy most of my parts from more reputable sellers than eBay.
post #46 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:

You are being told crap by the technician. Probably they want to keep it for themselves wink.gif.

If you do not have any stuck lines on screen, then a white flash indicates the panel is OK. In other words, gas is still present so the plasma screen can still light up. (Even if you did have lines, the panel would still be ok... you'd just have to live with the lines...)

If you like, you can probably self repair for under $150 by replacing the X- or Y-main board. All you need is some patience and a digital multimeter (available for less than 10 dollars.)

Note, the tech may not be using authorised Samsung parts, but dodgy parts off eBay, so that might be why he can't get it working. I buy most of my parts from more reputable sellers than eBay.

Thats how i felt when they took open the back panel and looking for fault. Though they've a multi meter, but they're merely using the "buzzing" function to indicate the circuit is "through". They said the PSU, main board has no issue while the left and right display boards with some capacitors line up at the edges seem to be working fine according to their quick finding. They said, if replace the panel, then the left and right display boards are also included in the package so you'll be getting everything "new". But i told them, if i can see a quick while flash and the panel seems to have light up only with no images, i felt the panel is working and the problem lies somewhere else, probably is one of the display panels having issue and a closer diagnostic can solve it by swapping some caps or transistors and off it goes..then the Samsung technicians said they dont do "repair" in such a way and only swap parts as it can guarantee the repair trouble free. When i asked if it can be guaranteed, when only give 3 months warranty with the parts replaced, they said it's Samsung policy..i felt it's all "screwed up" kind of thing and only to "squeeze" unnecessary monies out of those consumers whom gave in.

I have the multi meter and i am willing to take a shot with your solution else i might throw away the panel instead so might as well give it a try.
post #47 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like a very poor tech; did they even attempt voltage readings or the 3-4 pin logic jumper? Whereabouts are you? I used US currency assuming it was a PN set, but I live in the UK and I recognise the PS series as from Europe.
post #48 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a very poor tech; did they even attempt voltage readings or the 3-4 pin logic jumper? Whereabouts are you? I used US currency assuming it was a PN set, but I live in the UK and I recognise the PS series as from Europe.

I dont recalled them doing that reading at all. Merely a check on the fuses only. I have sent you a PM on my model code but it's a 63C7000 alright.
post #49 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 04:35 AM

Has anyone purchased the service manual either on CD, USB or the available paper from here:

I'd be interested in the information possibly through "dropbox" for a reduced fee if you've the USB or CD version.

http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-SM-PN58C8000YF.aspx

I'm just looking to save the mail time of their ship of the USB stick. It appears they don't offer a "download" of the information but the ship of whichever you're interested in. They don't seem to indicate the shipping times involved. Mine of course still being on the wall I can't see that there's a service procedure that wouldn't require the removal of the entire rear panel to accomplish the VS adjustment. Can the entire rear panel be removed with the stand attached OR to do the VS adjustment is it going to require maybe 6 hands to hold and monitor the screen while doing that procedure.

I'd just like to be maybe prepared for whichever procedure I choose.
post #50 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I had a Samsung D series plasma on which I tweaked the VS trimpot voltage. I increased it from the voltage reading that was on the inside of the panel. This completely got rid of the magenta banding, or pink banding. I used Dispicalbe Me blu-ray to expose the pink banding using the flying through the clouds chasing after the freeze ray scene /. The high contrast of this scene revealed the banding on my set .
post #51 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Liked: 25
I contacted Samsung via their service department online. They connected me with their Executive Customer Relations department via email. To sum it up, they told me to pound sand. I told them thank you, I will never purchase another Samsung product and will suggest to anyone against purchasing one as well. wink.gif. And then some blurb about the impending class action lawsuit! I guess I will be doing the voltage trick and pray the pink banding doesn't return. -oh, I even uploaded Samsungs service bulletin to them.
post #52 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 06:47 PM

This is a disapointing thread.....I bought my PN58C8000 on 7/2010 after months of research on here. The last few months the pink band in the upper right corner has gotten worse. A technician is coming out tomorrow to check this out. I bough the 5 year extended warranty through ABC warehouse when I bought it. What do you think they will do?
post #53 of 179 Old 11-18-2013, 09:49 PM

It will be interesting to see what you post back. I would think since it's a service shop they'll find a part or two to replace for the profit. Maybe NOT - that would be good unless they're actually needed. How about a snapshot or two of the rear with the panel removed. I'd maybe make sure they do the "firmware" update that's mentioned in the service TSB. You should have all of the questions that need to be asked, ask maybe the recorded voltages and the changes that they've done and record them. Some technicians might make notes and record changes on the actual boards in the set. Maybe make sure they check all of the capacitors for bulging etc.

Make sure you get a detailed invoice. Snapshot's please of the back-side. Mine's still on the wall but I'd like to know for a fact what I'm up against when I take it from the wall.

I don't know that the thread is disappointing. At least it's a discussion of an issue that seems to be correctable. In the earlier months and first year of the product it was a big deal with panel replacements etc. I can't imagine being upset about something that needs service after maybe 3 years. The thing is the amount of service required. Am I concerned that I didn't buy the extended service? No. Will I change my mind? Maybe!

If it were me and while the technician is in the set maybe ask the "total hours" on the display. It would be interesting maybe to gauge the work needed to the actual use. Mine has seen very little use and I don't know the hours but I'm interested.

Would I buy Samsung again - definitely a possibility.

Thanks
-Dave
post #54 of 179 Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post

I can't imagine being upset about something that needs service after maybe 3 years.
Really? How about if the part goes
Bad within a year on multiple sets, and they replace the panel with the same faulty part, so a year later, the part faults again...especially when their website claims some BS number of hours that the plasma tv will have endured.
How about your transmission in your brand new car goes out within one year. They replace the transmission under warranty but put the same defective transmission in your car. It lasts another year before crapping out again but now you are out of warranty?
post #55 of 179 Old 11-19-2013, 06:00 AM

That's the very reason why some manufacturers you need lawsuit against them to get them to be responsible simply because some consumers think it's perfectly OK that a TV panel can go faulty in the 3rd year with even low hours usage on it and the owner should just pay for the expensive bill and move on.

Just because the sh** doesnt hit you doesnt meant it would never hit you one day as long as you remain as a consumer. If you cant help, just dont add more sh** ..
post #56 of 179 Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 AM

the technician just came to the house and changed the voltage to 211.5V and the pink banding is gone. It seems all is good.
post #57 of 179 Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:

That's the very reason why some manufacturers you need lawsuit against them to get them to be responsible simply because some consumers think it's perfectly OK that a TV panel can go faulty in the 3rd year with even low hours usage on it and the owner should just pay for the expensive bill and move on.

Just because the sh** doesnt hit you doesnt meant it would never hit you one day as long as you remain as a consumer. If you cant help, just dont add more sh** ..

ya I agree. This was a $2800 TV, I shouldnt be having issues in 3 years of ownership. Thats sad. I dont know anyone having problems with newer High end TVs in 3 years.
Hifi4Hobby likes this.
post #58 of 179 Old 11-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Nice job getting back on the subject of the thread guys. I've got the pn58c8000. The upwards of $3000 I spent on this thing is the hardest part to swallow. Its just nice knowing I can at least pull it off the wall and correct the prob myself. I still wont buy anymore Samsung products. As I write this from my new HTC One (and not a galaxy S4).
post #59 of 179 Old 11-19-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:

If that comment was direct towards me - you've got serious issues- "you might want to step back a few paces - you're terribly close to the edge and could maybe fall!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post

Really? How about if the part goes
Bad within a year on multiple sets, and they replace the panel with the same faulty part, so a year later, the part faults again...especially when their website claims some BS number of hours that the plasma tv will have endured.
How about your transmission in your brand new car goes out within one year. They replace the transmission under warranty but put the same defective transmission in your car. It lasts another year before crapping out again but now you are out of warranty?

Your comparison to your car doesn't work - you don't know that the people with maybe a recurring issue weren't accommodated after maybe the "fault was actually documented" and the issue identified. Are the problems like I have and a few others that haven't had issues that we've complained about for years be accommodated. It would certainly help but am I likely to sue. Life has certainly other issues that deserve more attention than my television.

There very likely are people that deserve to have attitudes with the product and maybe the service afforded them but just because the set needs a service after 3 years of service isn't a reason to shout "sue the ba$tard$" - I didn't mention anything about needing a panel - a service board or an adjustment like has been discussed in this thread I see no fault with at all. Do I enjoy the thoughts - certainly not - it's certainly aggravating to remove it from the wall attach the stand and do the service then the wall hanging thing again but I believe I'll survive. I'd certainly like to be able to attempt the firmware on the wall before removing. The wall and surrounding equipment create the nuisance.

********"barry1me" - did you happen a couple snapshots? Was the rear panel for the adjustment removable with the stand still attached. Did he do anything other than the voltage adjustment? Firmware maybe?
post #60 of 179 Old 11-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post

If that comment was direct towards me - you've got serious issues- "you might want to step back a few paces - you're terribly close to the edge and could maybe fall!!!!
Your comparison to your car doesn't work - you don't know that the people with maybe a recurring issue weren't accommodated after maybe the "fault was actually documented" and the issue identified. Are the problems like I have and a few others that haven't had issues that we've complained about for years be accommodated. It would certainly help but am I likely to sue. Life has certainly other issues that deserve more attention than my television.

There very likely are people that deserve to have attitudes with the product and maybe the service afforded them but just because the set needs a service after 3 years of service isn't a reason to shout "sue the ba$tard$" - I didn't mention anything about needing a panel - a service board or an adjustment like has been discussed in this thread I see no fault with at all. Do I enjoy the thoughts - certainly not - it's certainly aggravating to remove it from the wall attach the stand and do the service then the wall hanging thing again but I believe I'll survive. I'd certainly like to be able to attempt the firmware on the wall before removing. The wall and surrounding equipment create the nuisance.

********"barry1me" - did you happen a couple snapshots? Was the rear panel for the adjustment removable with the stand still attached. Did he do anything other than the voltage adjustment? Firmware maybe?

Are you related to any of the manufacturers either as reseller or service agent? Because you sound like one in your approach to tell others, hey, no big deal with your TV failed in short time..and for those whose TV keeps failing, hey, no big deal for that because life isnt all about a TV. Then what's the big deal for making ourselves heard and shared our concerns with the very incident we experimented through being really paying for these TV and actually live with it day in day out?

True enough, life isnt all bout a TV so the manufacturers should get them right so we can focus on many other things, like the media that brought fort by the TV, the news, the movies etc. We bought a TV not because we are interested in writing all these comments here especially the negative ones but we're more interested to have them working and working so we can keep our days updated with news, entertain ourselves and family with a good movies at the end of the day.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn58c8000 58 3d Plasma Tv 16 9 Hdtv 1080p 58in Ws Plasma 1080p 3d Ready 600hz 4 Hdmi Ultra S , Samsung Pn58c8000 58 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page