Just wanted to post this since I have a PN58C8000YFXZA and after a panel replacement and voltage adjustment by Samsung back in Fall 2014, my TV started to exhibit the purple banding issue again. I was starting to accept this and just ride it out until the TV became totally crappy. Was still upset about it but after dealing with Samsung countless times about this TV, I was just ready to let it go.
Then I stumbled upon some updated info in this thread. I figured since I already had the voltage adjustment, I'd give the firmware update a try about an hour ago. Well, well, what do you know? It fixed my purple banding issue. Time will tell whether this is a long-term solution. I put up a bright white photo with some big colored boxes in the middle of the frame and there's absolutely no purple banding. Yay!
For those who are trying to piece together info about the firmware stuff, below is the summary of what I did to update it.
- Download the firmware file from here: . I believe it mentions the PN63C8000 but it worked for mine, which is PN58C8000YFXZA.
- Rename the file to LOGIC.bin
- Get a USB stick. Format in with Fat32. Create a folder called PDP_LOGIC at the root level and copy LOGIC.bin into this folder. **I used an old 8GB USB 2.0 stick FYI.
- Insert the USB stick into USB port #1 on the TV while it's off. Then turn it on. (At least that's what I did. Not sure it makes a difference what port you use however)
- Follow these steps: . (There's a link to download an application from . I downloaded and used this application to access the TV's factory menu) . Download and upzip the application. This application allows you to connect to the TV via IP Address then go into the Factory Menu. That's the only purpose for this software. Since I didn't have a Harmony remote or anything like that, this was my best option. Goes without saying your TV needs to be connected to the network and your PC/laptop needs to be able to reach it via IP Address. If you are unsure about the German prompts/menu items, use Google Translate. That's what I did! Make sure you pay attention to your TV because you will have to press YES to allow for the software to remotely access it.
**Also, in order to get the PDP Options, follow the below instructions:
In the 'regular' service menu (mute-1-8-2-power):
Control > Hotel Option > Hotel Mode > ON
This will enable the 'PDP Options' and upgrade can be run as described in the service report without any hex codes, 3speed, harmony control, etc (just used the TV regular remote).
Enter the PDP Options menu. Towards the bottom, you will see the option for USB DL. (I think it might be the last menu item)
The TV will turn off and turn back on by itself.
That's about it.