Consumer Panasonic plasma VS. Panasonic Professional Displays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys!

One my friends visited a Panasonic store and since then he is absolutely convinced that panasonic professional displays are much better than the consumer ones. I don't know what the sales manager put in his head, but he says that everything in PRO display is better than in the regular VT50/VT60. I looked at the specifications and in almost every parameter VT50/60 is better than any of PRO displays.

Here is a link to Panasonic professional displays - http://www.panasonic.com/business/plasma/index.asp and their top 65-inch display is http://www.panasonic.com/business/plasma/TH-65PF30U.asp.

Personally I doubt that anything can beat VT50/60. But my friend is just so stubborn and his main arguments are "more expensive means better" and "PRO is made for pro's and that already means better".

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Pro displays are built for professional applications. Here in Pittsburgh at the NBC station, WPXI, they are using 2 103 inch Panasonic plasma in their news studio behind the anchors on either side. They are limited in the number of devices you can connect to them - you can buy boards that slide into the set to give you different connection options. They also draw more current. They are expensive. The only advantage to a business plasma panel is that you can buy one larger than 65 inches, and they have warranties up to three years.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75
kravchenko likes this.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
6-10 years ago the Pro models were indeed better than the consumer models in many respects and they were also cheaper, but nowadays they're basically glorified information signs and giant PC monitors and are no longer advantageous to use as home theater displays compared to the consumer models. They use the previous generation's core plasma panel, the number of inputs has been reduced, they don't have the louver filter etc.

Some reasons why they cost more than a consumer model is because they're not typically sold at the retail level so they don't have to be price-competitive (businesses and government agencies don't haggle pricing like private consumers do), and the Pro models are made in much much smaller numbers where the consumer models are manufactured in much much higher volumes. The contractors i sell structured cabling to that install displays in corporate offices and defense contractor buildings etc have been gravitating to regular consumer models in recent years instead of Pro models.

Challenge your friend to detail exactly how the Pro models are better than an ST60 or VT60 and see what he comes up with wink.gif
kravchenko likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 06-22-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
myoda and RandyWalters - thank you for answers! Your replies are truly very important because somehow in the whole Internet I did not find any information regarding using PRO Panasonic displays at home as a TV or as a display for Home Theater. I am sure that if PRO displays despite higher price had something better than consumer displays they would be installed thousands of times and there would be a topic here on the forum where rich guys own these expensive but best displays.

I read almost everything Panasonic put on their webiste and I can assume that these displays are just built to match tough conditions of work and specific technical requirements, but in no way are built to be better and deliver higher quality picture than consumer displays.

Unfortunately at the place I live in (4 million people city smile.gif ) there is no place where I can see PF30 and VT60 side by side. Though local Panasonic representative is saying that PRO displays are made for gods and in absolutely everything they are better and higher quality than consumer displays. His main argument - PRO displays have a different panel. He can't explain what kind of panel, but the main word is "different" and this word together with "PRO" means "better", period.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
The pro division is an entirely different company from the consumer division within Panasonic. They may indeed have different panels. Spec wise though, the pro panels are on par with a S60 as far as picture quality goes, same levels of gradation. You get slightly more color control options. The more expensive models may have a AR filter. Of course, the 3D IR receivers costs about $500, so by default, they're really expensive S60's. Oh yes, and NO SMART FEATURES. They're probably more responsive displays.

However, they're probably built a hell of a lot better, and I don't doubt the panel is different.

Let me put it this way. At the bank I go to, I've seen Samsung industrial plasmas on display. They look pretty good, but they look like any other plasma, they still have line bleed and IR, so there isn't really anything to stand out vs a regular consumer model.
kravchenko likes this.