LG 60PN5300 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, now that I see the settings, I can understand why you got the impression that the image was washed out. If you're used to the image at gamma 2.4, then any other setting will look washed out. While it does look sharper, I found that 2.4 causes a lot of loss in dark details as well as clipping of bright scenes, which is why the brightness and contrast are turned down so much in those settings. Gamma 1.9 retains much more of the details, but at the expense of the perceived contrast. I have also done a lot of tweaking since then and have settled on 2.2 with a lot of tweaks in the color management section as well. I'm going to give it a few days to get accustomed to the new settings before posting them in case anyone is still interested.

KuoH
Quote:
Originally Posted by philtubes View Post

These settings were posted by AudioholicJeffL from the thread "LG 60PN5000 I need info to help decide whether to keep or not". I made a few minor changes to his numbers but overall these are the best settings I've tried. For color temp. I used Medium instead of Warm 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 PM

Thanks for mentioning gamma at 2.2, I'm trying that out along with the settings I posted and it looks like there is more detail with better blacks.
post #33 of 40 Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 PM

After tweaking the color management settings some more, I'm back to gamma 1.9 and like the image much more than 2.2 or 2.4. Both of the other settings just made some scenes too dark in addition to losing a lot of detail. I also tried the other settings you posted, but found some colors like orange and green seemed way off. Since there are 2 expert settings, I recommend trying my settings on the alternate one and flipping between them to get a better idea of the differences.

KuoH

LG 60PN5300
Energy setting: Off
Picture Mode: Expert
Panel Light: 85
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 75
H Sharpness: 20
V Sharpness: 15
Color: 80
Tint: 0

Expert Control
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Color Gamut: Wide
Edge Enhancer: On
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 1.9
Color Temp: Cool
Method: 2 Points
Pattern: Outer
Red: -10
Green: 0
Blue: -35

Color Management System
Color: R G B C M Y
Saturation: -10 -9 0 2 5 5
Tint: -30 0 26 0 0 -30
Luminance: -30 25 -10 -10 10 20

Picture Option
Noise Reduction: Off
Mpeg Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Off
Motion Eye Care: Off
Quote:
Originally Posted by philtubes View Post

Thanks for mentioning gamma at 2.2, I'm trying that out along with the settings I posted and it looks like there is more detail with better blacks.
post #34 of 40 Old 02-28-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just picked up the 50PN5300, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to turn on the Real Cinema 3:3 pull down.

I would imagine for a smoothest film like image we would all want to utilize this when watching 1080/24p content.

But I hook up my PS3, and I set it to output 24p, and when I press the Info button on the TV it confirms I'm getting 1080/24p content, but under settings Real Cinema is still grayed out and set to off.

I've been looking for answer to this for quite a while, and I can't find any.
post #35 of 40 Old 03-01-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I had an older Panasonic Plasma before this TV. And what always bugged me was the fact that 48hz was so full of flicker it was useless. I am happy the LG can do 3:3 pulldown and display a 72hz image. In fact this was one of the features as to why I chose this Plasma. So I get it and I can't figure out how to turn it on???? Seriously??? LG has to make it difficult??? And then I read the settings above, and everyone has it set to "Off" in there preferred settings, Why the hell would that be??????
post #36 of 40 Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post

I had an older Panasonic Plasma before this TV. And what always bugged me was the fact that 48hz was so full of flicker it was useless. I am happy the LG can do 3:3 pulldown and display a 72hz image. In fact this was one of the features as to why I chose this Plasma. So I get it and I can't figure out how to turn it on???? Seriously??? LG has to make it difficult??? And then I read the settings above, and everyone has it set to "Off" in there preferred settings, Why the hell would that be??????

I wonder if that feature was "reserved" for the xxPN6500 models.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you've started the BD "movie" content on PS3 ... (PS3 menus and such may come through at 60p.) I'm sure you've though of that, but I'm at a loss otherwise. (The feature works as expected on my LK450 LCD.)
post #37 of 40 Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

I wonder if that feature was "reserved" for the xxPN6500 models.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you've started the BD "movie" content on PS3 ... (PS3 menus and such may come through at 60p.) I'm sure you've though of that, but I'm at a loss otherwise. (The feature works as expected on my LK450 LCD.)

I thought of that as well, however I checked the specs at LG.com, and it clearly stated "Real Cinema: Yes", so the model should have it.
post #38 of 40 Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought of that as well, however I checked the specs at LG.com, and it clearly stated "Real Cinema: Yes", so the model should have it.

Humm ... So ... Try tuning to a 1080i station on the antenna input. If it's like my LG, you should be able to select "Real Cinema" on 1080i but not on 720p OTA channels (or other sources.)

Also (and I'm sure you already know this) PS3 usually outputs (upscaled) DVDs at 1080/60p .... so "Real Cinema" would not apply in that case.

The only other "troubleshooting" trick would be to hookup the PS3 directly to the set to make sure something else (AVR etc) isn't screwing with the HDMI signal ....
post #39 of 40 Old 03-02-2014, 01:44 PM

Are you saying that it doesn't work or just that you can't enable it? The option isn't greyed out for me, but I don't have any 1080/24 content to display so I can't confirm whether it actually works or not. I did find that Cinema mode defaults that option to on, while Game and Photo modes have it greyed out and set to off. Perhaps you were in one of those modes?

KuoH
Quote:

post #40 of 40 Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did find that Cinema mode defaults that option to on, while Game and Photo modes have it greyed out and set to off.

Oops ... I just assumed that he would be using "Expert 1 or 2"

Also, I double checked my LK450 and found that I could actually toggle "Real Cinema" on and off on OTA channels regardless of whether it was 720p or 1080i ... I suspect it has no effect either way
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Plasma 60pa550c , Lg 60ln5710
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page