LG 60PN5300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 06-20-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to the forum and have been doing some searching on the LG 60PN5300. I purchased one from Best Buy this past Saturday and was curious if anyone would have some input on an issue I am experiencing.

I have currently connected to the TV a DIRECTV DVR and a PS3 via HDMI. I have noticed while playing games on my ps3 and on sports tickers and menus I notice some sparkling pixels in the areas that are not complete black.

When I go to calibrate the TV using the AVSHD video DVD on the very first black scene to set the brightness in the gray bar are that should be flashing there is a snow that shows up and it is not a just the color gray.

It looks almost like some kind of interference. I have contacted LG and they said it seemed like a strange issue. Best Buy is recommending I return the set. So my question is, what is something that could cause that type of interference that maybe I am not thinking about? If I return the set and pick up another what would be in a comparable price point that you would recommend?

My set is in a basement that the lighting is very dim. I will use the TV mainly for PS3 games, Sporting events, and some movies.

Thanks for input you may have. I appreciate any assistance on this issue. I am concerned that if I pick up another plasma and I have a repeat issue because of something that I may not be thinking of.

Thanks again
Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sounds like plasma dithering, which is pretty normal for the most part. Usually certain settings/ half way decent calibration can diminish the effect. If you think it's a bit much and abnormal though and best buy recommends returning it, I'd return it just to be safe.

PSN: RetroGiant
post #3 of 40 Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 AM

Liked: 14
i am also interested in this tv and have been doing some research...on one of the reviews it was mentioned to use the ferrite cores as recommended in the user manual to filter out interference....so give this a try if you haven't already...

i can get this tv for $699 and would appreciate it on what you think of the tv, picture, sound, etc.,...
post #4 of 40 Old 06-21-2013, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks garnettrules21. I have checked out a few sources on plasma dithering and I do believe that is the issue. I may try and hook it back up and see if there is some calibration settings that I can adjust to improve it.

roas, the picture quality out of the box is amazing on bright and colorful scenes. For sound I am passing the sound off to a receiver, so I am not really sure how the speakers sound. I could try them out for you. Aside from the little specs in the gray area the tv seems great. I think I need to play around with the settings to see if I can get those tamed down a little bit. I am using the ferrite cores and also keeping the power cable separated from the HDMI cables. This is my first plasma so I am sure I might be a little overly excited on the dithering issue.

I will update if I can improve that issue or if I decide to return the TV.

Thanks
post #5 of 40 Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update. LG is recommending to send a repair person out. I sent them some photos and they seemed to think it was out of the norm.

have decided to take the set back and pick up a different set. What would you all recommend for a good set for gaming and sports. I want to go 60" and can go either plasma or led. My budget is between 750 and 1500. I have been looking at different units but have a hard time deciding.

Thanks in advance.
post #6 of 40 Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 AM

This Tv is a good set. I would exchange it for another one. LG makes great plasma's. I received mine for father's day and had it professionally calibrated. I love movies and gaming, as a matter of fact I have my Directv Dvr, Xbox 360, WiiU, & PS3 all hooked up to the set. What I am going to do is post my calibrating setting's on here. I think the setting's look great. Will post soon....

LG 60PN5300, Pioneer VSX-1022,Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, Directv Genie, Moster Power HTS1600
post #7 of 40 Old 06-23-2013, 02:58 PM

Thank you for the settings.
post #8 of 40 Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 AM

@Joker035 - did you ever have a chance to post these settings?

thanks!
post #9 of 40 Old 07-05-2013, 07:09 PM

I bought a LG 60 " plasma PA 6500 last year and I love a beautiful picture at a good price. Since the PA 6500 was discontinued, I just today bought a PN 5300 seemed like the specs were the same aside from the number of input jacks so I thought it would be the same as the PA 6500 --- NOT the whites are bad, skin tone is not as good and yellows have a bit of a green look. I ran the picture wizard and have been trying to get the picture to look as good as my PA 65000, Don't know if I should waste money get a professional to calibrate or just return it for a better TV! This TV may look good if your not used to having a better plasma, BTW I paid 1100. for the PA 6500 and 850 for the PN 53000 I would gladly pay 250 if I could get the older model PA 6500.
post #10 of 40 Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 PM

Hi! i just joined here.

i just ordered a LG 60PN5300.

can someone post ideal detailed calibration settings for this TV. i'll be playing ps3 games on it and watch bluray movies.

thanks.
post #11 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Calderone View Post

I bought a LG 60 " plasma PA 6500 last year and I love a beautiful picture at a good price. Since the PA 6500 was discontinued, I just today bought a PN 5300 seemed like the specs were the same aside from the number of input jacks so I thought it would be the same as the PA 6500 --- NOT the whites are bad, skin tone is not as good and yellows have a bit of a green look. I ran the picture wizard and have been trying to get the picture to look as good as my PA 65000, Don't know if I should waste money get a professional to calibrate or just return it for a better TV! This TV may look good if your not used to having a better plasma, BTW I paid 1100. for the PA 6500 and 850 for the PN 53000 I would gladly pay 250 if I could get the older model PA 6500.

Were both your sets 60"?
post #12 of 40 Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeethS View Post

I have currently connected to the TV a DIRECTV DVR and a PS3 via HDMI. I have noticed while playing games on my ps3 and on sports tickers and menus I notice some sparkling pixels in the areas that are not complete black.

0] Reset the TV to default values. There's usually a setting somewhere in the menu system. Change from Demo to Home Viewing.
1] Turn off any power saving / eco settings. Select film/movie setting (NOT Sports!), normal colour.
2] Set the PS3 to RGB output.
3] Insert a high quality widescreen BD movie.
5] Look at the black bars.
6] If there is dithering (noise) turn down the brightness until it just goes away. This is your max setting for movies and TV viewing.
7] Contrast should be pretty close to default values.
8] Turn to the best looking live news channel. If the annoucer's foreheads have a square - your sharpness is too high.

No, I don't know how to set the back lighting.
post #13 of 40 Old 07-11-2013, 05:30 PM

do u know is the Picture Wizard is good enough to calibrate the TV?

or could someone post the calibration settings for the LG 60PN5300?

Thanks.
post #14 of 40 Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 AM

I am so sorry guys about not posting the setting from my calibration that was done. I have been so busy with work and the family I forgot to get them to you guys. I will work on it this afternoon to get them to you guys.

LG 60PN5300, Pioneer VSX-1022,Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, Directv Genie, Moster Power HTS1600
post #15 of 40 Old 07-21-2013, 02:07 PM

its ok i just learned that your calibration is based on your home and not a "best" setting. its all good
post #16 of 40 Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm surprised there's not an "Official LG 60PN5300 Owners Thread" for this TV. For the price, it appears to be an incredible value for a 60-inch 1080p plasma. I thought I'd come here and find 25 pages of comments about it. Why is that not the case? Is there something about this TV I don't know about? The only downsides I'm aware of are:

1. Only two HDMI inputs
2. Apparently, no built-in burn in protection
3. No smart functions

I'm fine with 1 and 3 because I can buy an HDMI switcher and already have other smart devices. Is the lack of a built-in protector to guard against burn-in that big of a deal? I've had a Samsung plasma for 3 years ... it has built-in protection, which I use occasionally. Usually the IR goes away same day.

Anyway, I'm asking about the LG because after lurking on this and other sites, I ordered the 60PN5300 and will receive it next week. I'm hoping if this TV has flaws I'm unaware of, you'll let me know in time so I can return it. Thanks.
post #17 of 40 Old 07-26-2013, 09:24 AM

i've had it for about a week. no issues so far. i wish it had wifi though. don't forget this TV was manufactured in June this year so websites haven't really caught on yet. one thing to note. i tried calling LG on how to update the firmware software and i guess the tv is so new that the tech guys don't even know how to navigate the tv menus lol
post #18 of 40 Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 PM

Ok here is professional calibration settings for my LG 60PN5300TV. The Tv looks beautiful with these settings in my house, but should be a good base setting for you to work from.

LG 60PN5300
Energy setting: Off
Picture Mode: Expert 1
Panel Light: 100
Contrast: 70
Brightness: 100
H Sharpness: 10
V Sharpness: 10
Color: 57
Tint: Center

Expert Control
Dynamic Contract: Off
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: Off
Color Temp: Warm 2
Method: 20 Point IRE
Pattern: Outer
Ire: 100
Red: 5
Green: 0
Blue: 24
Color: Cyan
Saturation: 0
Tint: 3
Luminance: 0

Picture Option
Noise Reduction: Off
Mpeg Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: Off
Motion Eye Care: Off

post #19 of 40 Old 07-27-2013, 01:29 PM

Anyone hang this on the wall? If so, what bracket did you use?
post #20 of 40 Old 07-28-2013, 06:38 AM

I've had mine for a week now and I've got it hanging on a mount I've been using for a few years; previously with a 50" 720p plasma. I really like the mount, but it makes it a pain to do anything once its hung because their isn't even enough space to fit a finger behind the TV once it's up. Looks great though

Here is the mount at monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082812&p_id=5918&seq=1&format=2

Also these are a must with this mount.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=3733&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041913&p_id=3850&seq=1&format=2
post #21 of 40 Old 07-29-2013, 07:34 PM

thanks a bunch. im guessing the 90' is for the back port and the 270' is for the side port?
post #22 of 40 Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM

side port doesnt need anything. i just showed both depending if you want the cable up or down
post #23 of 40 Old 07-31-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker035 View Post

Ok here is professional calibration settings for my LG 60PN5300TV. The Tv looks beautiful with these settings in my house, but should be a good base setting for you to work from.

LG 60PN5300
Contrast: 70
Brightness: 100
H Sharpness: 10
V Sharpness: 10
Color: 57
Tint: Center

Expert Control
Dynamic Contract: Off
Color Gamut: Standard
Gamma: Off
Color Temp: Warm 2
Method: 20 Point IRE
Ire: 100
Red: 5
Green: 0
Blue: 24
Color: Cyan
Tint: 3
Luminance: 0

Picture Option

I'm sorry, but I just tried those settings and the result is gray-looking blacks. Way too much brightness. I also can't set gamma to "off." My only options are 1.9, 2.2 and 2.4. Does one of those = off?
post #24 of 40 Old 08-01-2013, 07:35 AM

Here's my mini-review of this TV, comparing it to my Samsung PN58B560 for reference:

Good
- IR protection: I was wrong about no burn-in protection. It does have two anti-burn-in mechanisms built in (ISM feature), so that should ease your concerns about IR.
- No buzzzz: It runs very quiet. The Samsung always has an annoying buzz, but I haven't detected any from the LG.
- DVDs look better: I put on a couple of X Files episodes. They look a lot better (clearer) on the LG than on the Samsung.

Bad
- Screen glare: Worst screen glare of the 3 plasma TVs that I've owned (others are the Samsung and an older Toshiba). I mean, it is literally a tinted mirror.
- I've heard of screen glare, but base glare?? The TV base is reflective, which I find annoying. In brighter scenes, or when credits/tickers are at the bottom of the screen, it reflects onto the base and looks as if the base has a light on.
- Weak blacks: I thought 3M:1 contrast ratio would = jet blacks, but nothing is further from the truth. Even after calibrating with Avia, the blacks are a major disappointment. Much weaker than the Samsung.
- LCD-type performance: The LG has a very soft picture, similar to the look of an entry level Vizio LCD TV (which I also own). I put this in the "bad" category because I'm assuming if you're interested in this plasma TV, it's because you prefer plasma over LCD.
- Lines across the screen: The LG also suffers (as most plasma do, i believe) from that thing where lines run all across the screen. I don't know what it's called, but for example, in Bill Maher's TV show, he sits in front of a framed background. Well, even though the frames are limited in their width, the image of the frame extends the entire width of the TV, and it also shows through Bill's face and body, as if he's translucent. The good news is the LG doesn't suffer from this as much as the Samsung, but it's there nonetheless.

Verdict
Not surprisingly, I'm returning the LG. The price was right, but I guess I learned why that was the case. The screen glare is noticeably worse than the Samsung mentioned above. We're installing the TV in a room with a lot of windows, so if you're in a similar situation, I advise you to steer clear of the 60PN5300.
post #25 of 40 Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought the LG PN5300 new in box at Sears in early January (for $600 with discounts). The picture was much better right out of the box than the 65" Samsung LCD I bought on Black Friday (and paid $1000) but returned to Best Buy because no matter what I did I could not get the screen uniformity and motion aspects of the Samsung budget LCD picture to behave. It was big and bright- I'll give it that.

The LG I started off running the source signals through my AVR (for sound and multiple HDMI inputs). Motion processing was fine and I could get the picture good, but was not thrilled with the performance. Overall out of the box a much more natural looking and easy to watch picture compared to what I will call a harsh LCD. A friend suggested I hook the TV directly to the source and this made all the difference. I have since set the DVR to DIRECT signal pass through that sends signal without any processing directly to the TV. I now send source information at native resolution directly to the TV. I let the TV's processor do the upscaling to 1080P. This made TV picture sing with more depth and I was able using the Picture wizard (and my critical eyes) to dial in a great picture. For what I paid, I now have great picture and I'm very happy with the TV. Keeping in mind I am an enthusiast, I will provide my settings it anyone is interesed.

I have two questions. What video processor does LG use in these (Marvel, QDO,etc) ? or is this LG engine? Is this the same basic screen/panel as the 6500 (PH or PN)?
post #26 of 40 Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
MicroCenter has these every day for 600 and 630 for the PN5700 with "smart" features.

Had one and returned it due to a dancing pixel defect in the lower left corner. Passable PQ for the price and certainly better than most LCDs, but beyond that there is a softness/splotchiness to things that should have more natural gradations that I did not like. It also seems to cause a halo against front the glass when there's bright images on the PDP itself.

Other than this, a decent set if your budget is in this range. A shame LG doesn't step up their plasma game being the last name in town soon, most likely.
post #27 of 40 Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 AM

I just finished initial tweaking on my newly acquired 60PN5300 and found the following settings to improve the PQ noticeably from out of the box. The whites definitely looked off and sunny scenes looked muted even with energy savings off. This seemed to be due to weak yellows and low color saturation with the factory settings. Perhaps it was just my display? The brightness and contrast settings posted by Joker035 are sort of backwards, which is why you're getting gray blacks. The contrast should be at 100 to maximize the dynamic range and brightness sets the low end of the black. If the brightness is set to 100, then you move the black into gray and cause lots of clipping of bright scenes, forcing you to lower the contrast. Also each input has independent settings and values from one input are not necessarily the best for another. I did the initial calibration using the component input, which translated ok to the Xbox on HDMI, but not the tuner input. This set doesn't seem to be as bright as the 50PQ30 I had before, but at the current $500 price point, it's good enough for daily use. Hopefully, these settings will useful for others too.

KuoH

LG 60PN5300
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 86
H Sharpness: 25
V Sharpness: 25
Color: 64
Tint: G1

Expert Control
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Gamut: Wide
Gamma: 1.9
Color Temp: Medium
Method: 2 Points (Don't use 20 points unless you're prepared to enter values for every IRE)
Red: 5 - 5
Green: 3 - 3
Blue: 24 - 24

Color Management System
Color: Yellow (no other colors were changed)
Tint: 0
Luminance: 30

Picture Option
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post

I'm sorry, but I just tried those settings and the result is gray-looking blacks. Way too much brightness. I also can't set gamma to "off." My only options are 1.9, 2.2 and 2.4. Does one of those = off?
post #28 of 40 Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 PM

I just tried these settings and to me they are way off, the picture is washed out. Go to the 5000 thread and try the settings posted there, the difference is night and day. I don't mean to crap on your settings, maybe they work for you, they didn't for me.
post #29 of 40 Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 PM

Lowering the brightness might help. I tend to watch TV in a well lit room and often during the daytime as well, so I tend to prefer a bright picture. The signal source likely makes a noticeable difference as well, which in my case, it's a hidef cable box. Unfortunately I can't visualize what's wrong with your image just from the "washed out" description, other than maybe the brightness is too high for your set. I'm not sure what other thread and settings you're referring to, could you post a direct link?

KuoH
Quote:
Originally Posted by philtubes View Post

I just tried these settings and to me they are way off, the picture is washed out. Go to the 5000 thread and try the settings posted there, the difference is night and day. I don't mean to crap on your settings, maybe they work for you, they didn't for me.
post #30 of 40 Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 AM

These settings were posted by AudioholicJeffL from the thread "LG 60PN5000 I need info to help decide whether to keep or not". I made a few minor changes to his numbers but overall these are the best settings I've tried. For color temp. I used Medium instead of Warm 1.

If you like his settings you might want to go to the above thread and give him a thumbs up.

Mode Expert 1
Panel light 90
Contrast 75
Brightness 47
H Sharp 7
V sharp 7
Color 61
Tint R 2

Expert control
Dynamic contrast off
Color gamut BT709
Edge enhancer off
Color filter off
Gama 2.4
Temp warm 1
Method 2 points
pattern outer

Points High
Red -4
Green 25
Blue -3

Points Low
Red 0
Green 11
Blue 5

Options
Noise reduction off
MPEG reduction off
Black level low
Real cinema on with Sat box and it is grayed out with blueray.
Edited by audioholicJeffL - 2/8/14 at 7:13am

These are his color management settings.

Green
Sat 7
tint -29
Lum -13

Magenta
Sat -9
tint -3
Lum 25

Yellow
Sat -30
Tint -2
Lum 0