Cable box wounded my set - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
PCD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have an LG PM6700 60" although I don't believe the make/model of the set is relevant in this case. Anyway, everything is connected through my Onkyo 709. Cable PVR box, BD, DVD. XBOX.

The other day I turned the receiver on as usual, TV came on but said "no signal". Now let me explain that the power frequently goes down in my area. I have a 1500va battery backup, mainly to protect from surge, keep my router alive, etc.

So the first thing I noticed was the cable box was off and that was the cause of the no signal. No big deal, I hit the remote and turned it on. This has happened before and a blue 4:3 Scientific Atlanta splash screen usually comes up while the PVR is loading data from the cable company (Rogers).

Well, this time was different. The blue splash screen came up, but mainly showed the outline of the box and it was bright, bright blue with jagged edges. It was only for a few seconds but it was the brightest blue I have ever seen on my screen. I turned off the set as fast as I could.

When I turned it back on and got to a broadcast image I noticed a line of stuck pixels (cells)? about a foot long exactly where the right hand side of that splash screen was. Needless to say, this didn't really make my day frown.gif

They can be seen clearly on any screen image, but more so on blacks than anything else.

I've been running the Disney WOW disc screen wash app and it is working (thankfully). there's only a couple of them left and it looks like they will go away in another day or so. Damage does not seem permanent.

So I'm wondering what may have caused this? It almost seems like the cable box blasted some super strong signal to my set, but then again it is connected directly to my receiver, so maybe the receiver screwed up? I don't think it could have been a power surge as the set was already on, the receiver was already on, etc.

In the future I will make certain the cable box is on before I turn on the set, but rally I shouldn't have to.

Any ideas?

Pete

Evil Sysadmin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 93
You have a black bar with blue stuck lines?
Or bar with image on it but stuck lines over it?

Either one are signs of a defective plasma panel, I can't see them going away.

It's unlikely your cable box or AC power did this.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
PCD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

You have a black bar with blue stuck lines?
Or bar with image on it but stuck lines over it?

Either one are signs of a defective plasma panel, I can't see them going away.

It's unlikely your cable box or AC power did this.

It was a single line, approx. 1 foot long, vertical, 1 pixel width.

From what I can see now, there are only 2 single pixels/cells still stuck on blue.

the panel has 700 hours on it to date.

Evil Sysadmin

post #4 of 4 Old 06-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Can you post a picture of them? Perhaps with the test patterns on the display (from user menu)?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page