AVS Forum banner
199K views 2K replies 288 participants last post by  KMFDMvsEnya 
#1 ·
Some ZT60/VT60 owners are experiencing audible fan noise, which is like having a fridge working in your room. In this thread, we will post some production numbers, in case if someone from panny decides to investigate the problem. You can post your pr# here, and I will update the appropriate post with your info.

Update:

It is now confirmed that all VT and ZT units are affected with the so called fan/fridge noise to some extent. As confirmed by the AV UK thread, this noise is due to the design of the back panel and not the fans in particular. The air flow through the back panel makes the noise, and the units with back panels removed do not make any noise. However, it is worthy to mention that the noise depends heavily on the room dimensions and surrounding materials, and many did not experience ANY sort of noise with their fans.

The Fix:

Those who experienced the noise, never could get a healthy unit through exchanges and returns. Panasonic has a fix that is a set of foams to be installed between the fans and the back panel. According to those who went through Panasonic repair, the foams DO reduce the noise, but the updated units are no where near silent.

Latest Update:

As confirmed by a few members, now the foam fix is being done at the factory. Any built date after July 2013 should have the fix pre-installed. If you have an earlier build, you can call Panasonic, and they will send a technician to install the foam fix.

See less See more
Reactions: Marc Wielage
#227 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost!  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/210#post_23709340

The Panasonic fix should help with the noise. And, nobody is more sensitive than I am. I exchanged my TV 4 times, and that should say something.

The wife issue is easily fixed by purchasing a harmony smart control and putting the app in her iPhone/iPod/iPad.

ZT is a fantastic TV for anyone who loves movies and film like material; seriously, it is the best current choice. For TV, go with F8500. Good luck.
F8500??

Is that a Typo? I like the ZT, And I have harmony one, but I am using analog for sound and HDMI only for Video. Beleive me, my set up is complicated but it looks and sounds fantastic.

I will go check out the ZT tomorrow.

#228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/210#post_23709422

F8500??

Is that a Typo? I like the ZT, And I have harmony one, but I am using analog for sound and HDMI only for Video. Beleive me, my set up is complicated but it looks and sounds fantastic.

I will go check out the ZT tomorrow.

No, it wasn't a typo
For TV, I think F8500 is sharper. However, I always liked the dimmer look of Panasonic more, especially for movies.

I don't know about Harmony One, but I did setup everything in my smart control. It changes the inputs, and Apple TV works fine too. Wife is not happy about technology, but at least I can show her that it works

Have fun with the ZT tomorrow.

#229 ·
F8500 isn't a bad TV but it's not in par with the ZT. It also suffers from speakers pointing towards the back. Only the VT60 has forward speakers and in a dark room, it's exactly like ZT.

I do however have a bright room in the day time which means the F8500 is a better choice..decisions decisions...

#231 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/210#post_23714751

I brought that 65ZZT60 home today and it is May 2013 production and it already has the Foam Fix. Pretty Quiet. Picture is simply Perfect.

Usually May pr# shouldn't have the foam fix. How do you know it has the fix? It is very hard to see them. Just remember, they are installed below the fans out of sight, not around them. The ones that are around the fans are already there and not part of the fix.

#233 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/210#post_23715064

I just checked, my May production has foams on all 4 sides of the 3 fans. Should I still call for a fix?

I'm thinking they have send technicians to the stores and install these on the unsold sets...

Agha Bardia,

Those foams are not the foam fix. Go look at post #158 in this thread. The Foam Fix is installed below the fans not around them.

#234 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost!  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/210#post_23715128

Agha Bardia,

Those foams are not the foam fix. Go look at post #158 in this thread. The Foam Fix is installed below the fans not around them.

Well that's good news because it's pretty quite now. Do I need to call Panasonic for the fix?

#237 ·
Gents I have the 65" vt50 and I had the pulsing loop going through my amps too. I have a XPA-5 for the speakers and a SA-1000 for the subs and I had to separate the power as well. Weirdest thing about it is that even if you put a cheater plug on the tv or the subs or all at once, the sound persisted. I hate the idea that my expensive ass plasma is not on the good power protector but at least that God damn noise is gone... Panasonic, what a joke.

#238 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by copene  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/210#post_23722027

Gents I have the 65" vt50 and I had the pulsing loop going through my amps too. I have a XPA-5 for the speakers and a SA-1000 for the subs and I had to separate the power as well. Weirdest thing about it is that even if you put a cheater plug on the tv or the subs or all at once, the sound persisted. I hate the idea that my expensive ass plasma is not on the good power protector but at least that God damn noise is gone... Panasonic, what a joke.

Make sure you get a good Panamax Power Conditioner..

#239 ·
As I noted above, I have a panamax power conditioner in my system and it doesn't make a difference. I still have the buzz in my amps as long as the TV is plugged in to the same circuit. I can't plug my TV into another circuit because there is no plug nearby and when I have experimented with it, I get a ground loop problem even if I do plug the TV into another circuit. I am still waiting for the next service call to see if this is a standard problem with the TV and see if there is anything that can be done about it. My last communication with the service provider was last Friday. I hope to hear from them this week.

If they say that this is normal, I am wondering whether getting an electrician to look at it would be fruitful. I am positive that everything is grounded correctly. But maybe an electrician could make a suggestion.

#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallis77  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/210#post_23722075

As I noted above, I have a panamax power conditioner in my system and it doesn't make a difference. I still have the buzz in my amps as long as the TV is plugged in to the same circuit. I can't plug my TV into another circuit because there is no plug nearby and when I have experimented with it, I get a ground loop problem even if I do plug the TV into another circuit. I am still waiting for the next service call to see if this is a standard problem with the TV and see if there is anything that can be done about it. My last communication with the service provider was last Friday. I hope to hear from them this week.

If they say that this is normal, I am wondering whether getting an electrician to look at it would be fruitful. I am positive that everything is grounded correctly. But maybe an electrician could make a suggestion.

I had my Electrician run a seperate line strictly for my home theater set up from outside the house. I have the Panamax 5510, for 10 years now and it's been great.

I do get a loud buzz when the screen goes white but nothing from the speakers..

#241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/210#post_23682804

[...].

In your photograph I see black rectangles on the left hand side underneath the fan. What are those exactly? Are they heatsinks?

I can't recall seeing those same rectangles in pictures of the VT50 internals.

#243 ·
Yes I tried flipping my Fan bushes around, yes the noise is gone but within 30 minutes of viewing the back of the TV was RED Hot! Don't do it!! The reason there is no noise is because the air is no longer being forced though those punched holes, instead the hot air is just being sucked back inside making the TV even hotter!

What I found works really well is get yourself a pair of magnetic dust filter and stick those over the fan exhaust areas, works a treat!

#244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Robins  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/240#post_23722776

Yes I tried flipping my Fan bushes around, yes the noise is gone but within 30 minutes of viewing the back of the TV was RED Hot! Don't do it!! The reason there is no noise is because the air is no longer being forced though those punched holes, instead the hot air is just being sucked back inside making the TV even hotter!

What I found works really well is get yourself a pair of magnetic dust filter and stick those over the fan exhaust areas, works a treat!

You would install that inside or outside the panel? Which one did you get?

#245 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Robins  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/200_100#post_23722776

My TV heat was the same before any fix was done. It was hot to the touch before (only in a certain area). After the fix, it is still the same. It's not hotter at all. It's also not "red hot" as you so claim. The reason there is no more noise is because of the vibrations.

#247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Robins  /t/1478361/panasonic-zt60-and-vt60-fan-fridge-noise-production-numbers/240#post_23724401

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130739776901?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3260wt_1399

I used these one or get something simular, they work a treat

Hi Paul

I have been closely following your plight/experience. So what size filter did you get ? And how many?. Has it quietened things down.

And just to make sure you have only had the foam fix.?

#248 ·
As the link shows, I purchased two of the 120mm magnetic ones they stick on the back over the FAN exhaust ports and it quiet it down somewhat, yes I had the Foam Fix done but that didn't make any difference what's so ever, as I was getting most of my noise from the other FAN and the foam fix was the other FAN lol But yes I had it done all the same but no it made no difference to my noise.

#250 ·
@paul why don't you get them back out if they done the wrong fan?

most of my noise is coming from the right fan (if you are facing the screen)

i have the filters, they do make a difference but i am debating whether they are bad for ventilation and therefore health of the set.

have you measured the operating temps? i stuck a probe thermometer on the back grille (no foam fix) and was getting 33 - 36c over the course of a few hours usage.

#251 ·
The Panasonic Foam fix is for the Right Fan while viewing from Front of set, so I let them do what they had to do, there was one strip of foam by the left fan but as I said it didn't make any noticeable difference to my noise. However the Fan filters do seem to work and it doesn't seem to make the set any hotter unlike the TGV which made a big difference i.e. hotter! The noise hasn't completely gone but it has been reduced to a satisfactory level for viewing now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.