Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1505 Old 09-17-2013, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi con219,

Nice to see that it works! That's encouraging! wink.gif
Concerning the heat on the back of the TV? Have you noticed some differences?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1505 Old 09-17-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I got around to calling Panasonic yesterday. After about 45 minutes on the phone an appointment was set up for a local company to come install "the fix". Luckily I didn't have to go through too much on-phone trouble-shooting (i.e. "When you hear the noise is the TV on?" rolleyes.gif) or any of that 3rd party verification nonsense. They scheduled the appointment from 1:00-5:00. I called the local shop to see if we could whittle that down a bit so I don't have to take any vacation time and to see if they knew about and/or had the fix kit on hand. The lady said she heard of it but they didn't have the parts.

The fan noise never bothered me. It was about as loud as my PS3 slim, so I'm used to such noise. I am only going through with the fix because the elimination of any noise is a good thing. And because I want to get it taken care of before Panasonic abandons this year's consumers. "Fan noise? What fan noise?" Getting it fixed is documentation of an existing problem should a class action suit ever come to be.

post #273 of 1505 Old 09-17-2013, 04:08 PM

Liked: 11
Hi con219,

Nice to see that it works! That's encouraging! wink.gif
Concerning the heat on the back of the TV? Have you noticed some differences?

Thanks!
I have been feeling the back of the TV panel with my palm before and after the installation. It does not feel any warmer than it was before. I am awaiting the second filter for the quieter vent.
Last night it was noticeably quiet. I had the volume of the TV at 20 and could not hear the fan noise whereas before it was very prominent.
It's morning here in South Australia and I have the morning news program on and still very quiet. It seems as Paul above has reported to remove that "decibel" of fan noise that was enough to make it irritating.
I am still waiting for the foam fix. I think because of our very small market here in Australia the foam needed to be imported as it was not in stock.

This is a truly reference Television. The Blacks and PQ are still taking my breath away.
post #274 of 1505 Old 09-18-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

The tech lady came in today and put 1 foam on the left fan and 3 around the right one. Prety darn quiet now. I mounted the tv on the wall. Happy camper...

Did the tech reverse fan bushing on your set? I got the foam fix installed on my set today. But the tech also reverse the fan bushing. Now, I do feel that set runs warmer than before. I called tech right away and informed him. He said that it is pretty normal. What I don't know is that whether reversing the bushing is recommended by Panasonic. And if yes, anyone with newer build (July or August) with the fix already on set experiencing warmer back panel? I am debating whether to call him/ panasonic and have him come out to reverse bushing and leave the foam fix. It looks easy to DIY but I don't want to do it. In case I mess it up, it won't be covered under warranty.
post #275 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 AM

Personally I would put the bushes back as I don't think it's a recommended modification, our service department in UK said it wasn't and my set got very hot! as the hot air gets sucked back inside and therefore decreases the cooling effect. Your better off just adding some magnetic filter to the back panel, that works great and it doesn't increase the temperature of the set at all :-)
post #276 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Robins View Post

Personally I would put the bushes back as I don't think it's a recommended modification, our service department in UK said it wasn't and my set got very hot! as the hot air gets sucked back inside and therefore decreases the cooling effect. Your better off just adding some magnetic filter to the back panel, that works great and it doesn't increase the temperature of the set at all :-)

Thanks Paul. I did put magnetic filters before the fix was installed. It did reduce noise to an acceptable level. I also called the tech to cancel the appointment as I could have live with that noise. But the tech said that panasonic recommends installing this fix. So I got it installed. I will call him again and ask him to put the bushing back to its original position.
post #277 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulay View Post

Did the tech reverse fan bushing on your set? I got the foam fix installed on my set today. But the tech also reverse the fan bushing. Now, I do feel that set runs warmer than before. I called tech right away and informed him. He said that it is pretty normal. What I don't know is that whether reversing the bushing is recommended by Panasonic. And if yes, anyone with newer build (July or August) with the fix already on set experiencing warmer back panel? I am debating whether to call him/ panasonic and have him come out to reverse bushing and leave the foam fix. It looks easy to DIY but I don't want to do it. In case I mess it up, it won't be covered under warranty.

I asked and the tech said Panasonic only recommends insatlling the foams. So that's what I did. I installed the foams this morning but I didn't notice any reduction in noise. I will have to listen at night when it's quiet..
post #278 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 PM

Liked: 13
I just got a ZT (special order and waited 2 weeks for arrival...so I assume it's a recent production)....it has fans...I can hear them....assume this is typical for all ZT sets as nothing seems to be wrong...it just has cooling fans....

I can hear it from 10 feet away if I listen for it. I need to check if that is a constant sound or off an on.

Is there a "fix"? If the foam doesn't reduce the noise then why bother? Is this really something you just have to live with....part of the design?
post #279 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
More like the "lack of" design. tongue.gif What's your panel # (on the back or included in the black folder) and date of manuf? I think I've seen up through the 6000s so far.
post #280 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Mine says July 2013. At least it i s quiet when I turn if off and listen to music
post #281 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Mine's from May, just around the time when manufacturing began (bought in June). I doubt they moved that quickly since it took time for the complaints to reach more of a fever pitch, so it wouldn't surprise me if the fix wasn't employed by that point.
post #282 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Mine's from May, just around the time when manufacturing began (bought in June). I doubt they moved that quickly since it took time for the complaints to reach more of a fever pitch, so it wouldn't surprise me if the fix wasn't employed by that point.
I believe I saw somewhere that the fix was incorporated in the manufacturing process in August. I have not seen this officially verified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post

I just got a ZT (special order and waited 2 weeks for arrival...so I assume it's a recent production)....it has fans...I can hear them....assume this is typical for all ZT sets as nothing seems to be wrong...it just has cooling fans....
Yes, that is typical. All units have fans but the degree to which it bothers the user seems to vary a great deal, varying from "silent" to "jet engine", depending whom you ask.
Quote:
I can hear it from 10 feet away if I listen for it. I need to check if that is a constant sound or off an on.
It should be fairly consistent. I've noticed no difference based on age of unit, duration of watching session, content (i.e. Blu-ray vs. cable) or ambient temperature except that the fan speeds up when I enter the service menu.
Quote:
Is there a "fix"? If the foam doesn't reduce the noise then why bother? Is this really something you just have to live with....part of the design?
The purpose of the "foam fix" is to reduce the audibility of the fans. The success of the fix, like the fan audibility itself, appears to vary depending on whom you ask.

post #283 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 08:40 PM

Has anyone experienced much hotter back panel after the tech did the foam fix? Mine is running a lot hotter now. I think I will replace it with an August build if the fix is coming from factory

I'm thinking if something happens to the tv now, panasonic might blame the tech. Gotta play it safe..
post #284 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm thinking if something happens to the tv now, panasonic might blame the tech. Gotta play it safe..
I can understand wanting to start over but I think Panasonic would have a hard time blaming a tech they hired to install a fix they devised. Besides, it's likely the factory fix is no different.

post #285 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Robins View Post

Great news. My second Silverstone 120mm ultrafine filter arrived today. Placed it on the second vent of my 65vt60 and it has reduced the noise even more.

I am still waiting for the foam fix.
post #286 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by con219 View Post

Great news. My second Silverstone 120mm ultrafine filter arrived today. Placed it on the second vent of my 65vt60 and it has reduced the noise even more.

I am still waiting for the foam fix.

I tried the filter but it makes the back panel super hot. I took them off.
post #287 of 1505 Old 09-19-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

I can understand wanting to start over but I think Panasonic would have a hard time blaming a tech they hired to install a fix they devised. Besides, it's likely the factory fix is no different.

Yeah I think I'll keep it. You're right. I have not IR and very very low fan noise that is hard to hear even at night.

Time to enjoy the TV. Take care you all.
post #288 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I think I'll keep it. You're right. I have not IR and very very low fan noise that is hard to hear even at night.

That's how it's done. Enjoy!

post #289 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 07:19 AM

Before buying the set I knew there was some fan noise. My perception is that the noise is notably louder than I expected (a subjective comment of course). With the set on and volume off (ie. when I'm surfing Netflix before streaming) the noise is annoying, but so far I haven't been bothered when watching/listening to programming.

I can clearly hear it everywhere in the room.

It also has a slight variation or cycle vs a constant white noise.
post #290 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I tried the filter but it makes the back panel super hot. I took them off.
Have had the TV on for eight hours straight and just turned mine off. Put my palm on the back panel below both filters and only warm to touch.It also was warm to touch without the filters.
I am extremely pleased with them.
post #291 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Best post I have read in a long time!
post #292 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 AM

My 65 inch VT60 should be here Wednesday :-)
post #293 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I may be reading you guys wrong but it sure seems like a number of folks are just willing to live with it, which begs the question, why would anyone settle on any detail on a literally top of the line 4000 buck TV? I can only think of one reason I would and that would be if I was past the return period, I assume nearly everyone who is not wildly rich bought this grade of set becasue they are rather particular about their electronics so I don't see how it could be acceptable unless you were one of the truely lucky ones that can't hear it or somehow got a quiet one.

My new set comes tomorrow, not that you guys will care much but I'll post how I like a samsung F8500 compared to the ZT60 after having the pani for a week, incase others in the boat I was in are trying to decide to return before the no questions asked return periods end. Note to those who bought at Best Buy, they are very good great on returns in the 15 days (60 days if you are a silver rewards member), but after the 15 days it is nearly impossible to return it to them so make your decision quickly.

I have to wonder how they could build such a fantastic set that makes noise...
post #294 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

I may be reading you guys wrong but it sure seems like a number of folks are just willing to live with it, which begs the question, why would anyone settle on any detail on a literally top of the line 4000 buck TV? I can only think of one reason I would and that would be if I was past the return period, I assume nearly everyone who is not wildly rich bought this grade of set becasue they are rather particular about their electronics so I don't see how it could be acceptable unless you were one of the truely lucky ones that can't hear it or somehow got a quiet one.

My new set comes tomorrow, not that you guys will care much but I'll post how I like a samsung F8500 compared to the ZT60 after having the pani for a week, incase others in the boat I was in are trying to decide to return before the no questions asked return periods end. Note to those who bought at Best Buy, they are very good great on returns in the 15 days (60 days if you are a silver rewards member), but after the 15 days it is nearly impossible to return it to them so make your decision quickly.

I hope you enjoy your new 8500 and don't get a buzzer. No display is perfect, when its all said and done I think it comes down to the imperfections that you can live with while getting the enjoyment one deserves from their new display. Besides, have you ever known when some of us on AVS don't complain a little more than we should about something? Sure I have some noise from the fans, but in no way does it distract from the image my VT provides with help from DNice. Let us know how you like the 8500, another great option for 2013.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #295 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Skimping on R&D? Taking engineering/manufacturing shortcuts due to cashflow problems?

BTW, the Reward Zone exchange period is now only 45 days.
post #296 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Has anyone experienced much hotter back panel after the tech did the foam fix? Mine is running a lot hotter now. I think I will replace it with an August build if the fix is coming from factory

Yes. My set runs very hot after foam fix and that is why I asked you whether tech lady, who installed fix on your set, reversed (installing in front of fan) the bushing on the fan. Because reversing the bushing brings fans closer to the front panel and that might be resulting in pool ventilation. I called my tech and asked him to come again to install the bushing in its original position. He said it is normal that my set gets warm but he agreed to come and reverse the bushing. Later, on the same day, he called me to inform that he checked with Panasonic and now they were saying not to install the bushing in front of fan. They should be left as is. Next appointment is scheduled for Monday to install the bushing in its original position. I am hoping that the set would run at normal temp as it used to run before the fan fix. I will keep you guys posted.
post #297 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I hope you enjoy your new 8500 and don't get a buzzer. No display is perfect, when its all said and done I think it comes down to the imperfections that you can live with while getting the enjoyment one deserves from their new display. Besides, have you ever known when some of us on AVS don't complain a little more than we should about something? Sure I have some noise from the fans, but in no way does it distract from the image my VT provides with help from DNice. Let us know how you like the 8500, another great option for 2013.

I will never and emphasis on "never" ever buy another Samsung Plasma TV after my experience with the Buzzing noises my 3 replacements made. The fan noise is no way as irritating and at least the fan noise can be arrested by installing two magnetic filters over the vents.

To the person who opted for the 8500. I can only wish them the best of luck until something goes wrong. A plasma TV with no fans is destined for issues later especially if mounted on a wall which accentuates poor ventilation.
post #298 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:

I am very curious so Please do let us know your thoughts on the comparison between the two sets. What thread and when do you think you will have your post?? Thanks.
post #299 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Thanks, I hope I do not get a buzzer either, but rest assured it will go back also. I traded up from a Panasonic TH-50PZ85U and it was just great for many years and the only reason I changed it was to get a bigger screen. If the PZ85 had any flaws they escaped my notice, no buzz, no dead pixels (that I know of), the fans, power supply and whatever else makes noise is unpreceivable, unlike to woo-woo-woo multi-pitch sound the VZ60 makes.

I am no fan (ugly pun) of Samsung, not for any direct reason, but my view of them has always been second tier, I have since learned they have earned a reasonable level of respect in the upper end market, I do hope this is not a mistake but there was no way I could live with that pani.

BTW -- I am not a regular here, I drop in to learn about things or to get help on issues and advice, have a lot of respect for the members here, I should have come here first but I had read cNet and several other respected review sites and there was no mention of this issue. As for the impact of this, I see nearly 300 messages spanning a lot of time of folks trying to resolve the issue suggesting to me that it is a legit issue. So I came in to this with nothing but great expectations, oh and when that picture came on I momentarily thought those expectations had been far exceeded, but then the fan noise jumped out.

I cranked fan noise into google and the first hit is here, due to Best Buy policy (no complaint) I did not have time to try the Panasonic fix, it was delivered 12 days after ordering it at my request so I had used all but 3 days, I spent 2 researhing it and it was the lead in to this thread that made my mind up, it says the pani fix does not fix it for everone, and even when it does, it just makes it less, not gone.

I get the Samsung tomorrow (Sat) between 2-4PM, Best Buy delivery, so I should have an updated late Sat or Sunday.
post #300 of 1505 Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Skimping on R&D? Taking engineering/manufacturing shortcuts due to cashflow problems?

BTW, the Reward Zone exchange period is now only 45 days.

If I had 45 days I would have tried the Panisonic fix.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60vt60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page