Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers - Page 17 - AVS Forum
First ... 15  16  17 18  19  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Panasonic ZT60 and VT60 Fan/Fridge Noise Production Numbers
merccrazy's Avatar merccrazy 08:26 PM 10-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

For those who had the fix installed

I have a tech coming out tomorrow morning. He has not installed a kit before, anything tricky on the install that I should watch out for? He says the kit comes with instructions.

TIA
jeff

Please copy the instructions and post. Thanks

Bkultra's Avatar Bkultra 09:46 PM 10-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by merccrazy View Post

Please copy the instructions and post. Thanks

9ocy.jpg
merccrazy's Avatar merccrazy 10:09 PM 10-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkultra View Post

9ocy.jpg

Cool thanks
guvadc's Avatar guvadc 06:21 AM 10-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrajoel45 View Post

I am no longer positive that the noise that my set makes is the fans. The noise is louder when showing brighter content on the screen but even on bright screens it comes and goes. It is a buzz that seems to come from the lower right part of the screen and is relatively low in pitch.hCWpp

This is the "Plasma Buzz" that you hear about and not the fan noise. My set des the same thing.
elitemikes's Avatar elitemikes 07:24 AM 10-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

This is the "Plasma Buzz" that you hear about and not the fan noise. My set des the same thing.

I hear this as well, it doesn't really bother me as much as the constant fan noise
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 07:31 AM 10-26-2013
I guess you guys are unfortunate. I do not hear anything from across the room.

Maybe it was that Van Halen concert in 1980 and you guys are actually fortunate to have better hearing than I?
Ronald Epstein's Avatar Ronald Epstein 07:35 AM 10-26-2013

Is the fan problem solely related to the VT series or the ZT as well?

Bkultra's Avatar Bkultra 07:39 AM 10-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

Is the fan problem solely related to the VT series or the ZT as well?

Both are affected as indicated by the picture of the instructions above (and title of this thread).
Jeff_DML's Avatar Jeff_DML 09:42 AM 10-26-2013
Quote:

For those who had the fix installed

I have a tech coming out tomorrow morning. He has not installed a kit before, anything tricky on the install that I should watch out for? He says the kit comes with instructions.

TIA
jeff

Took him 30 minutes to install, seems like a pretty kludgy fix. Now I get to reinstall everything for my wall mount setup redface.gif
AVKIK's Avatar AVKIK 09:55 AM 10-26-2013
Quote:

Took him 30 minutes to install, seems like a pretty kludgy fix. Now I get to reinstall everything for my wall mount setup redface.gif
Let us know if it made a difference. Thanks.
Edllguy's Avatar Edllguy 10:25 AM 10-26-2013
Could someone please comment and describe the fan noise issue in terms of comparing it to other noisy devices? (Pre and Post foam fix)

For example, I still own the original 60gig PS3 and everyone knows how those fans turn on and can get loud. I got use too it and now it does not bother me as much. Any similarities?

Thanks
Jeff_DML's Avatar Jeff_DML 10:44 AM 10-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

Let us know if it made a difference. Thanks.

Definitely can still hear them from my 10 foot sitting position. I tried youtube via the smarttv which seems to bring out the worst of the fans. Initially I thought it at least reduced the noise but now I am not so sure mad.gif I have sound meter but it seems like it would be difficult to measure unless you are in a sound proof room.

Basically it doesn't make it worse getting the fix but not sure how much if any it actually reduces the noise level. My tv is in my family room which is open to the kitchen so I have a lot of various noises, fridge is worse. So the noise is ok with me in my environment but if I had a dedicated home theater room i would be tempted to return it.

I thought someone complained and got Panasonic to upgrade their VT to a ZT. Seems like for some people it would be worth to see if Panasonic will downgrade to the ST plus some money back to get away from the fans. I had my VT calibrated by D-Nice so I am sticking with it.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 12:30 PM 10-26-2013
I guess they went skimpy on thermal design. Your environment is just like mine, Jeff. I'd rather not fiddle with Panasonic support and have an unknown technician complete the "fix" and will instead just "suffer" through the noise until a 70" OLED for $3k arrives.
ChuckAuger's Avatar ChuckAuger 06:08 PM 10-26-2013
I think they just went with some crappy high RPM fans. Computer case fans come in a variety of fan blade style and RPMs, some can really move air silently with a lot less RPM than these fans.

If somebody could figure out what the fan voltage is - they look like like just 2 pin fans, not PWM - I bet a lower RPM yet similar (or even greater) CFM fan could be fitted.
markjl's Avatar markjl 06:21 PM 10-26-2013
I wonder if the new units shipped from August on have different fans.
roncruiser's Avatar roncruiser 09:36 PM 10-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAuger View Post

I think they just went with some crappy high RPM fans. Computer case fans come in a variety of fan blade style and RPMs, some can really move air silently with a lot less RPM than these fans.

If somebody could figure out what the fan voltage is - they look like like just 2 pin fans, not PWM - I bet a lower RPM yet similar (or even greater) CFM fan could be fitted.

If possible, anyone that has had there set opened please report the fan voltage. The fan voltage should be listed on the fan itself. (You can measure the fan voltage as well if you're properly set up to do so.) If any, note any information on the fan . Also, measure the outside dimensions of the fan. Length, width and height. If possible, measure the fan mounting holes: center to center.

With that information, a suitable fan replacement can be found.

I'd like to know more about the fan standoffs. What are they made of? Oscillations can occur if the fan mounts are not stiff enough.
roncruiser's Avatar roncruiser 09:49 PM 10-26-2013
Just noticed that the fans are only mounted at three points. Not good. If the fan standoffs are as soft as I suspect, oscillations are likely. It would have been better to have four mounting points rather than three. Especially, with soft rubber or silicone standoffs.
RichB's Avatar RichB 10:24 PM 10-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncruiser View Post

Just noticed that the fans are only mounted at three points. Not good. If the fan standoffs are as soft as I suspect, oscillations are likely. It would have been better to have four mounting points rather than three. Especially, with soft rubber or silicone standoffs.

That is correct. The "sponges" stabilize the fan and remove the oscillation.
The fans are very quiet with the back off. The remaining noise seems to be coming from the air forced through the ventilation holes.

- Rich
RichB's Avatar RichB 10:27 PM 10-26-2013
Quote:

I'm entertaining the idea of doing the fix myself. How long did it take you to remove the back panel to access the fans?

Thanks,
Ron

It took about 10 minutes for the tech, you have to remove the stand, wireless, plug holder, and perhaps more. I do not recall.

Not a hove deal if you are comfortable with this type of thing.

- Rich
roncruiser's Avatar roncruiser 11:07 PM 10-26-2013
Fan information:

roncruiser's Avatar roncruiser 12:10 AM 10-27-2013
Silicone sponge gasket in place of the foam strip "fix" should work as well or even better. I suspect, a full strip isn't even needed. Just a few well positioned small pieces to stabilize the fan should work well enough.
NateTTU's Avatar NateTTU 08:53 AM 10-27-2013
I have a tech coming this Friday to do the fan fix. My build date is July 2013 and based upon information in this thread it shouldn't have the fix already. Would they charge me if he came out and it already had the fan fix installed? I tried looking in, but like others mentioned I don't think it's possible to find out unless the back panel is removed and I don't really want to do that.
merccrazy's Avatar merccrazy 08:59 AM 10-27-2013
Can somebody tell me if the back cover on the vt60 can be removed without removing it from the base stand? I know the vt50 can so I would think the vt60 should. Thanks
Jeff_DML's Avatar Jeff_DML 09:36 AM 10-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU View Post

I have a tech coming this Friday to do the fan fix. My build date is July 2013 and based upon information in this thread it shouldn't have the fix already. Would they charge me if he came out and it already had the fan fix installed? I tried looking in, but like others mentioned I don't think it's possible to find out unless the back panel is removed and I don't really want to do that.

You told panasonic your serial number right? Their problem if so
NateTTU's Avatar NateTTU 09:42 AM 10-27-2013
Quote:

You told panasonic your serial number right? Their problem if so

Yes
roncruiser's Avatar roncruiser 04:41 PM 10-27-2013
Quote:

Well, we are scheduled for an exchange this week. Crossing my fingers with the hope I get a relatively quiet TV. What a drag.

Received the replacement set this morning. No different than the last set in terms of noise. Same June build date as the previous one. Serial number is less than the previous one. Funny.

Well, if you can't beat them, join them. Something like that.

At least I tried. If I can't do the fix myself without voiding the warranty, I'll arrange for someone to come out and do the fix.

Ron
hfc23's Avatar hfc23 05:43 AM 10-28-2013
I too have fan noise and decided to put tape over the vents leaving three rows of vent holes visible. Problem solved no noise. I still have ample air being pushed out of vents and have had set running for hours and is only warm on back cover.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 08:14 AM 10-28-2013
The only time I have heard any noise is when the source is off. I think you guys are making more out of this than is really there. I have four fans cooling my equipment enclosure that make a little noise too. I much prefer a little bit noise than overheated expensive electronics.

Slowing down these fans could work though because they are of excessive CFM for the conditions so a lower RPM could go a long way to quite these things down. A resister in the positive lead could do the trick.
ChuckAuger's Avatar ChuckAuger 11:19 AM 10-28-2013
Quote:

Fan information:

Thanks for the pic, looks like they are 4 wire fans, I thought I saw what looked like a 2-wire lead in one of the pics above.
fmalczewski's Avatar fmalczewski 11:28 AM 10-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfc23 View Post

I too have fan noise and decided to put tape over the vents leaving three rows of vent holes visible. Problem solved no noise. I still have ample air being pushed out of vents and have had set running for hours and is only warm on back cover.

Just the vents over the fans? Which three rows?
Tags: Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
First ... 15  16  17 18  19  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop